ADVERTISEMENT

Pride unity flag in my kid's classroom! So much HBOT fodder...

Love is all of those things. ^^ However, allowing anyone to do anything they wish at any time that they wish, etc, etc...is not love.
If this teacher was having gay sex in the classroom you would have a valid point. This teacher is showing support for a group of people. Kinda exactly what Christ taught his followers.

The flag in question is neither religious nor political.
It is political. It had a culture and political views -- say about gender and sports -- loaded onto it. Those people love it, and we know how those people think.

It's like an American flag on the back of a pickup truck or "don't tread on me" -- you think of certain things when you see those in that context.

I think LGBTQ people should be treated like anyone else. But I wouldn't fly that flag because I think it would give a mistaken impression to a bunch of people.

No that's specifically about LGBTQ people, which tends to be associated with political goals such as acceptance of trans people as being the same as persons born of a certain sex and allowances for children to receive hormonal treatments.
Look again. What do you think the brown and black lines represent?

Back to school night at my kid's school, 7th grade. Private "Christian" School.

My wife attended with my 7th grader, and all the parents met in the English teacher's room, where he'd hung a flag like this one:

progress-pride-flag.jpg

My take is split:
My view against: How does this help the teacher teach 7th grade English better? How is it that I learned English without ever knowing the political or social views of my teachers.
This is unprofessional and inappropriate for the classroom. IMO there's no place for this, or maga flags, etc. In schools. The exception would be if a civics/social studies teacher had multiple flags of all sorts representing many viewpoints as fodder for discussion, etc.

My view for: My kid is going to be exposed to multiple viewpoints forever, and he needs to learn to work together with people of all kinds. Middle School is a reasonable time to start expanding those views understand things from multiple perspectives. This teacher is going to share things from a perspective he won't get at home, yet we'll have a chance to field those questions that arise from whatever influence/indoctrination this teacher tries (BTW the teacher isn't gay/trans/etc. He's a white male in his 40s married with boys the same age as mine. This is just virtue signaling).

What say you HBOT? Should I speak up to the school? Say anything? Or just kind of let it play out? What would YOU do?
And that flag is pretty explicitly political if you read about its origins.

It is political. It had a culture and political views -- say about gender and sports -- loaded onto it. Those people love it, and we know how those people think.

It's like an American flag on the back of a pickup truck or "don't tread on me" -- you think of certain things when you see those in that context.

I think LGBTQ people should be treated like anyone else. But I wouldn't fly that flag because I think it would give a mistaken impression to a bunch of people.
Oy right wingers have tried to turn the flag into that.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and torbee
Look again. What do you think the brown and black lines represent?

What does the pink white and baby blue represent?

I'm no right winger. The flag has clear political goals associated with it. It might also be very personal to you as well. But that doesn't erase the political goals. There are very few flags that are completely apolitical.

I could hang up a Christian flag and make all the same claims you are claiming. That it's just about me and my faith. But there is a lot of shit there that gets associated with it.

Nope, you're not getting it. It's the people that wave this flag around all the time. (and especially those that are constantly revising it)

Again, it's like some of these guys that wave around a slightly modified American flag. It takes on a different meaning and we all know it.

Back in the day (the original) pride flag was probably what you're imagining.

Progressive left did this to themselves by loading the movement up with a bunch of unpopular political positions.

There's a reason I wouldn't fly it. Same thing if you asked me if I was a feminist -- well, in the original sense, sure. But we all know the word has been loaded up with so much that I'd hesitate to associate with it now.

You're on the left. You should be more deft in understanding this sort of thing.

Equality is political? Because that's the extent of it's message

Yes but the issue is "what does equality mean"

Much of our political disagreements stem from that question. And it's not just the gay and trans stuff either. The flag represents a particular version of what a certain group feels equality means. That's political.

I'm no right winger. The flag has clear political goals associated with it. It might also be very personal to you as well. But that doesn't erase the political goals. There are very few flags that are completely apolitical.

I could hang up a Christian flag and make all the same claims you are claiming. That it's just about me and my faith. But there is a lot of shit there that gets associated with it.

Back to school night at my kid's school, 7th grade. Private "Christian" School.

My wife attended with my 7th grader, and all the parents met in the English teacher's room, where he'd hung a flag like this one:

progress-pride-flag.jpg

My take is split:
My view against: How does this help the teacher teach 7th grade English better? How is it that I learned English without ever knowing the political or social views of my teachers.
This is unprofessional and inappropriate for the classroom. IMO there's no place for this, or maga flags, etc. In schools. The exception would be if a civics/social studies teacher had multiple flags of all sorts representing many viewpoints as fodder for discussion, etc.

My view for: My kid is going to be exposed to multiple viewpoints forever, and he needs to learn to work together with people of all kinds. Middle School is a reasonable time to start expanding those views understand things from multiple perspectives. This teacher is going to share things from a perspective he won't get at home, yet we'll have a chance to field those questions that arise from whatever influence/indoctrination this teacher tries (BTW the teacher isn't gay/trans/etc. He's a white male in his 40s married with boys the same age as mine. This is just virtue signaling).

What say you HBOT? Should I speak up to the school? Say anything? Or just kind of let it play out? What would YOU do?
I’d be fine with it. Middle school is hard enough for everyone and almost impossible for those who feel “other” and are having various areas of confusion. If it makes a couple kids feel just a little bit more comfortable in their own skin, then it’s probably a very good thing. Just my view.

Reactions: torbee
I'm more with your view against. I do think it's important for kids to get exposed to multiple viewpoints but I don't necessarily think it's good to have a teacher to appear to endorse one viewpoint over another.
This makes no sense. Being LGTQ+ isn’t a view point, it just is. What’s “another”? Does it imply that being straight is wrong?

Equality is political? Because that's the extent of it's message

That was not the message.

Why do you think that's "even"
Or a great 2nd option is to force the parents to return paperwork stating their political affiliation then rearrange the class accordingly.
Then the Left kids can do the pledge of allegiance to the Pride flag and then once they are done the MAGA kids do the same to the MAGA flag. School starts 5 minutes earlier to accommodate for two pledges instead of one.

Where is the straight flag? Would you have a problem with a Cross or Bible in the classroom or a Republican elephant poster?
It’s a private Christian school, so I would certainly expect there are crosses and religious texts to be found.

Reactions: Gimmered
Or a great 2nd option is to force the parents to return paperwork stating their political affiliation then rearrange the class accordingly.
Then the Left kids can do the pledge of allegiance to the Pride flag and then once they are done the MAGA kids do the same to the MAGA flag. School starts 5 minutes earlier to accommodate for two pledges instead of one.
You certainly have a long way to go to become as funny as Parker & Stone.

Did Christ unconditionally support all groups of people? Or...did He have standards and expectations of them?
He first showed them love, and then asked them to follow him. He was much less tolerant of those who were trying to profit in the Holy Temples. I can only speculate how he would feel about a man who tried to fund a campaign of hate by selling his word.

Pink white and baby blue represent everyone. It says I support all of you.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
That was not the message.

LOL Northern found one article that aligns with his viewpoint and now he spams the board with it. So cute.

Reactions: torbee
Pink white and baby blue represent everyone. It says I support all of you.

From what I've read it exclusively supports trans people. Which is part of the reason the change was made.

Remember it used to just be the LGBQ community. The T was added later.

Does this teacher have the police pride flag, or an Israel flag in remembrance of the 10/7 massacre, or even a Special Olympics flag? Of course not, because the entire point of the gay flag is political.

When the silent virtue signal is, “all students are welcomed and valued here”, I’d say this is the one absolute best places to do some “virtue signaling”.
Then of course you would have no issue with the Ten Commandments being posted or a Crucifix right?

Does this teacher have the police pride flag, or an Israel flag in remembrance of the 10/7 massacre, or even a Special Olympics flag? Of course not, because the entire point of the gay flag is political.
I wouldn't have a problem with a police pride flag in the classroom if the teacher has a cop in the family they want to support.

Ok. Let's say the teacher had an Olympics flag? Would you flip out over that?

I would be ok with that in a social studies classroom, or a class that naturally leads itself to debate (talking middle school or older here). This is English, so no, I wouldn't feel that was appropriate either.
Don’t you suppose it is mostly there so the teacher can demonstrate his class is a safe space for kids that are gay?

Hell in this very thread we have people saying being gay is a mental illness. Imagine growing up in a household like that, or surrounded by kids who tell you that you are sick, who call you a f*g, who denigrate you over something you cannot change.

It.is.not.political. It is a beacon of hope for some kids.

Reactions: Tom Paris
From what I've read it exclusively supports trans people. Which is part of the reason the change was made.

Remember it used to just be the LGBQ community. The T was added later.
Cis Gender, Transgender, Non binary and intersex. Who does it leave out?

I have 6 kids, 5 are cisgender, one is Trans. We are a close family that support each other with love and compassion. Some are somewhat conservative, some a a bit liberal. There may be some back and forth on issues, there is absolutely no division on gender identity.

If you start at a place where Gender dysphoria is a real medical issue and not a choice, it would all start to clear up for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT