ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed NIL Changes

The NCAA recently signed an eight (8) year, nearly $1 billion agreement with ESPN to televise fourty (40) division I NCAA Champioships. The growth/popularity of both women's basketball and women's volleyball provided significant leverage for this deal. That contract will not include the lucrative men's football championships, nor include the men's basketball championship series. Those will be stand alone championships. NCAA wrestling should be a beneficiary of this contract.

Shifting just a little, women's wrestling is the fastest growing high school sport in Illinois. This growth may also be true in Iowa high schools. A rising tide lifts all boats. Thanks, Caitlin Clark.

Last edited:
The NCAA recently signed an eight (8) year, nearly $1 billion agreement with ESPN to televise fourty (40) division I NCAA Champioships. The growth/popularity of both women's basketball and women's volleyball provided significant leverage for this deal. That contract will not include the lucrative men's football championships, nor include the men's basketball championship series. Those will be stand alone championships. NCAA wrestling should be a beneficiary of this contract.

Shifting just little, women's wrestling is the fastest growing high school sport in Illinois. This growth may also be true in Iowa high schools. A rising tide lifts all boats. Thanks Caitlin Clark.
Which weight is she at? And I’m pretty sure she’s at Missouri. You’re not fooling me again……

Shifting just a little, women's wrestling is the fastest growing high school sport in Illinois. This growth may also be true in Iowa high schools. A rising tide lifts all boats. Thanks, Caitlin Clark.

Iowa girls wrestling was already a growing thing long before Caitlin Clark showed up. Had more to do with Ronda Rousey becoming huge in the UFC IMO, that's the timeframe when it really started taking off and the participation numbers got noticed. We've had a girls state championship tournament for a few years already because of that and that's part of the reason we added a women's wrestling team at Iowa in particular. The best part is the rise in girls wrestling in Iowa was actually organic and not forced. It wasn't just a quick add to even out scholarships for Title IX, it was something that was actually growing and had a fan base.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Iowa girls wrestling was already a growing thing long before Caitlin Clark showed up. Had more to do with Ronda Rousey becoming huge in the UFC IMO, that's the timeframe when it really started taking off and the participation numbers got noticed. We've had a girls state championship tournament for a few years already because of that and that's part of the reason we added a women's wrestling team at Iowa in particular. The best part is the rise in girls wrestling in Iowa was actually organic and not forced. It wasn't just a quick add to even out scholarships for Title IX, it was something that was actually growing and had a fan base.
Gina corano put it on my radar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT