ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 4th Integrated Test Flight tentatively June 6

...and the most "cost effective" way to mine asteroids will be to send them on a collision course for Earth, so they land on some backwoods, 3rd world country. Then send your excavating equipment in to sort thru the rubble...
...and the most "cost effective" way to mine asteroids will be to send them on a collision course for Earth, so they land on some backwoods, 3rd world country. Then send your excavating equipment in to sort thru the rubble...
Like hell it is! When it comes to space tech, you are a dupe. Obviously, you stumbled across that moron from Canada who wrote that book about somebody raining asteroids on Earth. Completely debunked. He’s a fool and so are you for believing him. You think anyone is crazy enough to divert a major asteroid to hit Earth and ensure their own suffering and death? (Which couldn’t be done, regardless).

Russia tried a while back using similar approach and gave up.

So your argument is that because Russia couldnt do it, that it can’t be done or can’t be solved?

Not a very compelling argument, analogous reasoning. The Russians never landed rockets on autonomous drone ships either.

So your argument is that because Russia couldnt do it, that it can’t be done or can’t be solved?

Not a very compelling argument, analogous reasoning. The Russians never landed rockets on autonomous drone ships either.
Plus, the Russian N1 was WAY more primitive in design and capabilities than Starship. SpaceX has already proven they are miles ahead of the Russians.

One hell of a lot easier and smarter than trying to divert that asteroid millions of miles off course to smack into Earth!

LMAO!

It's actually called "controlled descent" (what NASA does with dead satellites etc), and with a few rockets, it's a lot easier than you'd think.

It's actually called "controlled descent" (what NASA does with dead satellites etc), and with a few rockets, it's a lot easier than you'd think.
You clearly have NO Clue. Controlled descent of a huge asteroid millions of miles away in its own orbit and speed round the sun into a target moving as fast as the Earth In a different speed and orbit?

Plus, you think what SpaceX does in landing rocket stages on sea-going barges is easy?

BWAHAHAHA!

Allow me to educate you, my son. Look, there is a reason that when we fly to Jupiter we can’t just aim at it and shoot off a rocket. Like, the JUICE mission just launched by the Europeans, you have to circle the solar system, get a gravity boost from Mars, Venus, and Earth before you can get to Jupiter. Why? ORBITAL MECHANICS AND GRAVITY!

There is no Effen way anyone could send something or someone up to an asteroid, and successfully shoot it directly at Earth. Even if we tried, we got nothing powerful enough to do it, and because of orbital mechanics, it would fail miserably.

You clearly have NO Clue. Controlled descent of a huge asteroid millions of miles away in its own orbit and speed round the sun into a target moving as fast as the Earth In a different speed and orbit?
NASA has done this with over a half dozen Mars rovers, in case you weren't aware....

ORBITAL MECHANICS AND GRAVITY!
And you can attach a few rockets to an asteroid, and "steer" it around Mars, etc, exactly the same way.

And time it's arrival on Earth close enough to make sure it lands on some country or ocean area you don't care about.

This is EXACTLY the technology we use to get ALL of our space probes to planets to Mars and beyond.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
And you can attach a few rockets to an asteroid, and "steer" it around Mars, etc, exactly the same way.

And time it's arrival on Earth close enough to make sure it lands on some country or ocean area you don't care about.

This is EXACTLY the technology we use to get ALL of our space probes to planets to Mars and beyond.

Wait, wut?

You're suggesting we could bomb Russia and China with asteroids????

LOLOLOLOL!

There is no Effen way anyone could send something or someone up to an asteroid, and successfully shoot it directly at Earth.

Nowhere did I post that we were going to "shoot it" at Earth.

You "propel" it, just like any space probe. Along trajectories that you can coordinate the timing over periods of years to get it right.

EDIT: you're "propelling" it back the SAME WAY you would send onsite-mined minerals back in a ship. Are you asserting that we could not "send a ship back" from an asteroid?

Nowhere did I post that we were going to "shoot it" at Earth.

You "propel" it, just like any space probe. Along trajectories that you can coordinate the timing over periods of years to get it right.

EDIT: you're "propelling" it back the SAME WAY you would send onsite-mined minerals back in a ship. Are you asserting that we could not "send a ship back" from an asteroid?
I got news for you, Einstein. An asteroid ain’t no rocket ship or a cargo hold, with any sort of ability to change course or navigate, even with your sorry dumb fat ass strapped to it. And while you are “propelling“ that space rock at us over a period of years, we probably would take you or anyone else responsible out. Course if that space mountain did manage to hit Earth, it would do us all the favor.

Idiot.

No it is NOT, you moron. Nothing at all like it. Jesus!!!

I got news for you, Einstein. An asteroid ain’t no rocket ship or a cargo hold, with any sort of ability to change course or navigate

LOLWUT?

You attach rockets with propellant to it, and it moves just like a really really heavy spaceship.

'Member? There's no air in space to redirect it.

Isn’t that the point of any exploration, Tar Heel? To find out what is there? And hell yes, space exploration is dangerous and risky. So has been every single major exploratory effort conducted since the dawn of humankind.

As Buzz Aldrin once said, “This country’s abandonment of crewed space exploration after Apollo is merely evidence of how cowardly and risk-averse our society has become.”

SpaceX is finally reversing that trend. You can stick your chicken-shit head in the sand all you want and scream, “We can’t! We shouldn’t. Too hard! We gotta fix Earth first!”

Not me.
Ignoring established science - as both Colombus and Musk did - isn't "exploration". It's stupidity. The same kind you keep demonstrating here.

You are a f'n idiot. I've never once said anything you claim, dipshit. You made a grandiose claim. I said it wasn't going to happen. I have basic science on my side. You have stupidity on yours. Rather sadly, you revel in your stupidity.

Last edited:
Ignoring established science - as both Colombus and Musk did - isn't "exploration". It's stupidity. The same kind you keep demonstrating here.

You are a f'n idiot. I've never once said anything you claim, dipshit. You made a grandiose claim. I said it wasn't going to happen. I have basic science on my side. You have stupidity on yours. Rather sadly, you revel in your stupidity.
Look, you lousy excuse for a rat’s brain. You got no science on your side, just prejudice against exploration. Play in your little kitty litter box and stay there, ya imbecile. Columbus made it to the new world. So will SpaceX.

You won’t, thank the Cosmos. We don’t want your dead brain cells to contaminate it.

LOLWUT?

You attach rockets with propellant to it, and it moves just like a really really heavy spaceship.

'Member? There's no air in space to redirect it.
No, it doesn’t you dope. The mass and orbital inertia of an asteroid is huge. Almost impossible to alter in any significant manner. Certainly not enough to change it’s entire orbit and direct it to Earth.

When we go to the Moon or Mars, we didn’t try and attach rockets to them and smash them into another celestial body. You think that the rovers on Mars could direct it to wipe out Venus?

Dumb ass.

Look, you lousy excuse for a rat’s brain. You got no science on your side, just prejudice against exploration. Play in your little kitty litter box and stay there, ya imbecile. Columbus made it to the new world. So will SpaceX.

You won’t, thank the Cosmos. We don’t want your dead brain cells to contaminate it.
You keep claiming I've said what I haven't said. Prove it, asshat. Quote me.

You might be the dumbest f'n poster on HORT right now. Will SpaceX succeed? Probably - depending on your definition of success. I haven't one time said otherwise. If you believe otherwise - prove it.

Quote. Me.

You might want to seek some professional help...you're clearly delusional.

No, it doesn’t you dope. The mass and orbital inertia of an asteroid is huge. Almost impossible to alter in any significant manner.

LOLWUT?

All you need is an engine and propellant. Did they not teach you F=MA in school?

That’s not how he and other fanboys spin it, you goof. They are trying to spin a narrative they destroyed to be safe vs it being out of control and already doomed to fall apart. And yes, hilarious fanboys are trying to spin this as a success.

It ****ed up the launch pad. Many of the engines did not work. It was out of control from the beginning and did not come close to making it to orbit. They are years away from getting this to work, if ever. Russia tried a while back using similar approach and gave up. BTW, I am a huge Space X fan. Just not a fan of the weirdo Elon Musk fans who have to spin every ****ing thing. The launch and pad aftermath was an embarrassing failure and that is ok. Period.
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and believe all the people that work there and how they cheered and were cheesing so hard after it was all done. Clearly a grand level of success although not total. Certainly nowhere even close to an "embarrassing failure". Weird that you guys feel the need to spin this in a negative light for political reasons.

You keep claiming I've said what I haven't said. Prove it, asshat. Quote me.

You might be the dumbest f'n poster on HORT right now. Will SpaceX succeed? Probably - depending on your definition of success. I haven't one time said otherwise. If you believe otherwise - prove it.

Quote. Me.

You might want to seek some professional help...you're clearly delusional.
Read your own posts, you wanker.

Like hell it is! When it comes to space tech, you are a dupe.

Here you go, Cupcake:

So instead of trying to mine a distant asteroid, how about we bring the asteroid back to Earth? NASA's ill-fated Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM) was an attempt to do just that. The goal of the mission was to grab a 13-foot (4 meters) boulder from a nearby asteroid and return it to cislunar space (between the orbits of Earth and the moon), where we could then study it at our leisure.

To move the boulder, ARM would use solar electric propulsion, with solar panels absorbing sunlight and converting it into electricity. That electricity would, in turn, power an ion engine. It wouldn't be fast, but it would be efficient — and it would eventually get the job done.

In fact, a recent study found a dozen potential asteroids, ranging from 6.6 to 66 feet (2 to 20 meters) across, that could be brought into near-Earth orbit with a change in velocity of less than 1,640 feet per second (500 m/s). And the solar electric propulsion schemes cooked up for ARM would be perfectly capable of that, although it would take a while.

Once an asteroid is in near-Earth space, many of the difficulties of asteroid mining are significantly reduced.

8d734671-ae56-424e-a4a4-76a46eb486a6_text.gif

Here you go, Cupcake:

So instead of trying to mine a distant asteroid, how about we bring the asteroid back to Earth? NASA's ill-fated Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM) was an attempt to do just that. The goal of the mission was to grab a 13-foot (4 meters) boulder from a nearby asteroid and return it to cislunar space (between the orbits of Earth and the moon), where we could then study it at our leisure.

To move the boulder, ARM would use solar electric propulsion, with solar panels absorbing sunlight and converting it into electricity. That electricity would, in turn, power an ion engine. It wouldn't be fast, but it would be efficient — and it would eventually get the job done.

In fact, a recent study found a dozen potential asteroids, ranging from 6.6 to 66 feet (2 to 20 meters) across, that could be brought into near-Earth orbit with a change in velocity of less than 1,640 feet per second (500 m/s). And the solar electric propulsion schemes cooked up for ARM would be perfectly capable of that, although it would take a while.

Once an asteroid is in near-Earth space, many of the difficulties of asteroid mining are significantly reduced.

8d734671-ae56-424e-a4a4-76a46eb486a6_text.gif
Got news for ya, predictor of doom. Neither of those asteroids you describe would survive Earth’s atmosphere should you decide to bomb the third world with them. If they wanna bring those little midgets into Earth orbit, fine, but it would still be cheaper to go to a more substantial minefield and get it there. And you kinda ignore the part that says “it would take a while.”

I’m not opposed to mining them in Earth orbit, but it’s gonna be REAL expensive to get those little guys here, and whatever you do get here won’t be worth a damn as a weapon.

Got news for ya, predictor of doom. Neither of those asteroids you describe would survive Earth’s atmosphere should you decide to bomb the third world with them.

And?

You just attach MORE ion thrusters onto a bigger rock. Same deal.

What I'd posted is fundamentally how "space mining" is going to work. NO ONE is going to "send a bunch of guys" out to the asteroid belt, where it'd take years to get there, years to get back, and another year or more just to mine stuff. They'll send robotic probes out, to attach thrusters to the rocks and send them our way.

I'm simply informing you that it's MUCH cheaper to send them down onto some poor or unpopulated area of our planet, vs trying to capture them in orbit and work on them in space (or on the moon). Moon might be an easier bet.

But your apparent conception that we'll "head out into space to do onsite mining" is just silly. You'll send the rocks back to Earth, just like I told you we would.

As I'd already noted, several times: THAT IS WAY CHEAPER THAN SENDING PEOPLE OUT TO MINE THEM IN THE ASTEROID BELT
I never said we had to send people out to mine asteroids soon. And sure, we may well bring some back to Earth orbit, but nothing of significant size. But I’ll bet we establish some sort of station near the Oort Cloud/asteroid belt someday with people on it to supervise the mining operations and collect the minerals.

I never said we had to send people out to mine asteroids soon. And sure, we may well bring some back to Earth orbit

So, you agree, now, that you were WRONG when you claimed I didn't know what I was talking about, having told you this was how it can be done.

And?

You just attach MORE ion thrusters onto a bigger rock. Same deal.

What I'd posted is fundamentally how "space mining" is going to work. NO ONE is going to "send a bunch of guys" out to the asteroid belt, where it'd take years to get there, years to get back, and another year or more just to mine stuff. They'll send robotic probes out, to attach thrusters to the rocks and send them our way.

I'm simply informing you that it's MUCH cheaper to send them down onto some poor or unpopulated area of our planet, vs trying to capture them in orbit and work on them in space (or on the moon). Moon might be an easier bet.

But your apparent conception that we'll "head out into space to do onsite mining" is just silly. You'll send the rocks back to Earth, just like I told you we would.
You can’t just attach “MORE ion thrusters onto a bigger rock“ and bring it back, you dolt. The orbital mechanics and physics just don’t work to do that.

You might be able to bring small rocks back to Earth orbit, and that is fine. So what? No threat to us!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT