ADVERTISEMENT

QB Room

I was thinking that Deuce early enrolled and should have full command of the offense by now, but forgot about operations being shut down due to the rona.

Reactions: rainydayhawk
I was thinking that Deuce early enrolled and should have full command of the offense by now, but forgot about operations being shut down due to the rona.
Hogan was part of the '20 recruiting class ... and apparently NOT an early enrollee [post corrected thanks to info from fellow posters].

Because of Covid ... he didn't have a normal fall camp or summer in 2020 ... and those would have been among some of the primary times when he would have had the opportunities to really learn the O.

Consequently, he probably only learned the O in patches during last fall ... and then a little during bowl prep (prior to the game getting axed).

Thus, the current spring camp is really his first full immersion in the system ... so he really is effectively a "newbie" this spring ... even though he's already been here around a year.

Last edited:
Hogan was part of the '20 recruiting class ... he was here as of last spring semester (i.e. he WAS an early enrollee - just as you indicated).

Because of Covid ... he didn't have a normal spring and fall camps in 2020 ... and those would have been among some of the primary times when he would have had the opportunities to really learn the O.

Consequently, he probably only learned the O in patches during last fall ... and then a little during bowl prep (prior to the game getting axed).

Thus, the current spring camp is really his first full immersion in the system ... so he really is effectively a "newbie" this spring ... even though he's already been here around a year.
Hogan was not an early enrollee

After my careful analysis of our QBs’ pocket presence, pocket awareness, thought processing speed, mastery of the playbook, footwork, progressions/check downs, blitz recognition/audible calling, scrambling, accuracy, touch on the ball, timing, gamesmanship, toughness, poise, ball fakes, foot speed, shiftiness, elusiveness, creativity, arm strength and overall degree of badassery....I’ve determined it’s much easier to throw common QB descriptors around on a message board than to actually know what in the blue hell I’m talking about.

Nice that it is a full competition. Sounds like Petras is improving which is a good sign but apparently he was good in practice last year. Encouraged to hear that Padilla has made huge strides and is very accurate. There are some interesting stats in the Dochterman article that he just put up on Petras on how the faster he got the ball out last year they better completion percentage he had but the more he had to think his accuracy went way down.

Nice that it is a full competition. Sounds like Petras is improving which is a good sign but apparently he was good in practice last year. Encouraged to hear that Padilla has made huge strides and is very accurate. There are some interesting stats in the Dochterman article that he just put up on Petras on how the faster he got the ball out last year they better completion percentage he had but the more he had to think his accuracy went way down.
Not sure if the article mentioned this or not but could it also have been related to the distance he has to throw?

I imagine those passes he is throwing it quick are also short routes and when he has to hold it longer it is due to longer developing routes further down field

Reactions: rsigmundi
Some people seem to be conflating "open competition" with "Petras getting beat out". He's not getting beat out, because he's better than our other QBs right now.

Someone on another site mentioned it, but with Twitter open to the Iowa players now, we'd know if there was a legitimate QB controversy or if one of the other guys had an argument.

Reactions: BBHawk and RothMatt
Some people seem to be conflating "open competition" with "Petras getting beat out". He's not getting beat out, because he's better than our other QBs right now.

Someone on another site mentioned it, but with Twitter open to the Iowa players now, we'd know if there was a legitimate QB controversy or if one of the other guys had an argument.
Not sure why a player would tweet there is a QB controversy.

I also don’t know for certain if Petras is our best QB on the roster or not. Last year I recall seeing multiple skill position players that seemed visibility frustrated with his play on multiple occasions.

It probably didn’t mean anything significant, but it made me wonder if some players thought there is a better option on the bench.

Reactions: CO_hawk

I also don’t know for certain if Petras is our best QB on the roster or not. Last year I recall seeing multiple skill position players that seemed visibility frustrated with his play on multiple occasions.

It probably didn’t mean anything significant, but it made me wonder if some players thought there is a better option on the bench.
All practice reports state that Petras is well ahead of the other two, and it's really not even close.

I'm sure there was frustration, but remember we get a very narrow glimpse through the TV and games.

Reactions: kceasthawk
All practice reports state that Petras is well ahead of the other two, and it's really not even close.

I'm sure there was frustration, but remember we get a very narrow glimpse through the TV and games.
It does sound like Padilla has been making some nice improvements too. But yeah ... as I would expect, Spencer had a lead and has been making the most of it.

I'm guessing "good" is a relative term from KO'K. Acceptably good going into last fall is probably not acceptably good this spring.
Not sure if the article mentioned this or not but could it also have been related to the distance he has to throw?

I imagine those passes he is throwing it quick are also short routes and when he has to hold it longer it is due to longer developing routes further down field

Awk raises a good point. It would also explain Spencer getting happy feet and a locked on stare when he has to hold onto the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: AwkHawk
Petras, the Josh Oglesby of Iowa football

Here is what I will say regarding the QB competition.

We all know Spencer's performance last year left ALOT to be desired. If he has grown and advances, great, if he doesn't and still looks like a robot chucking balls into the 7th row IT IS ON THE COACHES. We have free agency with the portal, if we don't have any better options than what we saw last year that is on them.

Exactly and that makes sense to me if your primary "read" or "call" in the huddle is open to start it makes everything easier. If read #1 is covered or a no go, quickly scan to look for 2 or 3, which gives some QB's happy feet and thus they don't improvise well. I don't need a true dual threat QB (although we WOULD take one), just one that can MOVE in and out of pocket, improvise and be accurate as well as scan for options 2, 3 and 4. Some QB's just lock into target #1 and throw the ball anyway. Anxious to see if Spencer has improved and my hunch is that he has...

Here is what I will say regarding the QB competition.

We all know Spencer's performance last year left ALOT to be desired. If he has grown and advances, great, if he doesn't and still looks like a robot chucking balls into the 7th row IT IS ON THE COACHES. We have free agency with the portal, if we don't have any better options than what we saw last year that is on them.
If this does happen, I'd expect Padilla sooner in season than later. Maybe KoK has put this out there as fodder to both motivate Petras, keep somewhat of an open QB competiton and lay groundwork for the hook if Spencer continues to hover around 55% for completions.

With the positive comments from his teammates, I cannot see Petras being replaced unless he gets injured.

Big year for Spencer no doubt and he definitely needs to make the jump. Uneducated opinion here but believe the foundation is there for this kid and if he can mature in the right areas he has the potential to eventually be a day 2 and possibly day one draft pick.
Physically all of 6’5 235ish and if watched closely is not uncoordinated just inexperienced. One thing taught is how to stay in the pocket, not panic and make the reads with timing. No doubt the first few games last year were rough but he got better as the season progressed.
His arm can make every throw. It’s the brain arm thing that is getting in the way. He absolutely had a couple WTFs last season but also had a couple GD Rights as well. I believe the kid is close and with a real spring lift session and real time with the wrs we will see him have much more command of the offense. Sitting here on a message board, can’t think of a current B10 qb I’ve actually seen play, I would roll the dice with before Spencer. We’ll see. GO HAWKS

Interesting statement from KOK today:

Several things here:

* This kinda destroys the narrative from SEVERAL on here that Iowa does not develop QBs and that they get WORSE each & every damn year.

* Did anyone think that Alex was going to simply let Deuce come in and take a dump on his back up (at worst) role? I am sure all the Deuce hype motivated Spencer, as well (not that he needed more motivation).

* Alex got a late Georgia offer on Oct 10, 2018, so he can't be "that bad."

* Alex is pretty damn smart, too, and this is his 3rd year in the program, so it's no surprise he would have command of the offense.

* And speaking of his smarts, here is a reminder of his 14 offers:
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
Penn
Dartmouth

Iowa
Georgia
Central Michigan
Colorado State
UNLV
South Dakota
Northern Colorado
North Texas
Nevada

Last edited:
Reactions: rchawk
After my careful analysis of our QBs’ pocket presence, pocket awareness, thought processing speed, mastery of the playbook, footwork, progressions/check downs, blitz recognition/audible calling, scrambling, accuracy, touch on the ball, timing, gamesmanship, toughness, poise, ball fakes, foot speed, shiftiness, elusiveness, creativity, arm strength and overall degree of badassery....I’ve determined it’s much easier to throw common QB descriptors around on a message board than to actually know what in the blue hell I’m talking about.

you, by far, are the best analyst on this forum. everyone else? pretenders.

Margaret and I always chuckle, too, when people on here talk basketball. So many are clueless!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Does this mean open competition for the starting job?

Count me skeptical as to it being a true open competition. Without being a part of the actual, candid, coaches conversations it's hard to really know if that is what's occurring.

I'll be VERY surprised if Petras is not the starter.

Do you really think Kirk/Ken/Brian would not put our best QB on the field?

Of course you don't know because you are not at the practices and you don't have the football IQ and knowledge that Kirk, Ken and Brian have.

Kirk, Ken, and Brian are at the practices, however. And for some reason you think that Kirk, Ken and Brian will pick Petras as the starter just to piss his teammates and fans like you off???

Or are Kirk, Ken and Brian going to pick Spencer because he is our best QB and he gives us the best chance to win???

Of course you don't know because you are not at the practices and you don't have the football IQ and knowledge that Kirk, Ken and Brian have.

Kirk, Ken, and Brian are at the practices, however. And for some reason you think that Kirk, Ken and Brian will pick Petras as the starter just to piss his teammates and fans like you off???

Or are Kirk, Ken and Brian going to pick Spencer because he is our best QB and he gives us the best chance to win???
A bit of an aggressive reaction to what I said, Fran... I was simply admitting exactly what you’re saying. Just commenting that I saw odd displays of frustration with QB play last year from a few skill players we typically don’t see. I even said it probably means nothing but thought it was odd and something I’d expect to see at Nebraska and not Iowa.

Ya know, it isn’t unheard of for a backup to come in after an injury and take over the job. I’m pretty sure the coaches weren’t actively trying to sabotage their teams in those cases either and certainly not what I was implying about Kirk and Co. I think Kirk has earned the benefit of the doubt, but it’s offseason and I was just posting a comment for discussion.

I wish we got to see what Hogan and Padilla are capable of doing in game to really know but we can’t because only one QB plays at a time (unless you’re Nebraska).

Last edited:
A bit of an aggressive reaction to what I said, Fran... I was simply admitting exactly what you’re saying. Just commenting that I saw odd displays of frustration with QB play last year from a few skill players we typically don’t see. I even said it probably means nothing but thought it was odd and something I’d expect to see at Nebraska and not Iowa.

Ya know, it isn’t unheard of for a backup to come in after an injury and take over the job. I’m pretty sure the coaches weren’t actively trying to sabotage their teams in those cases either and certainly not what I was implying about Kirk and Co. I think Kirk has earned the benefit of the doubt, but it’s offseason and I was just posting a comment for discussion.

I wish we got to see what Hogan and Padilla are capable of doing in game to really know but we can’t because only one QB plays at a time (unless you’re Nebraska).

You wrote that you don’t know for certain if Petras is our best QB on the roster or not. Kirk, Ken, and Brian (the experts) will make that determination. They, of course, will put the best QB on the field.

You also wrote that you observed multiple skill position players visibility frustrated with his play on multiple occasions. Again, Kirk, Ken & Brian (the experts) decide who plays and who gets pulled. Not a WR, not a fan. Kirk, Ken, and Brian, of course, will put the best QB on the field who gives us the best chance to win.

Then you wrote that it made you wonder if some players thought there is a better option on the bench. Again, that is not for a WR or a fan to decide. Kirk, Ken, and Brian (the experts), of course, will put the best QB on the field who gives us the best chance to win.

For you (or any fan) to think or SUGGEST that Kirk, Ken and Brian (the experts) are not going to play the best players that give the team the best chance to win is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

If Spencer is once again our starter it will be because he is our best QB and he gives us the best chance to win.

Period.

You wrote that you don’t know for certain if Petras is our best QB on the roster or not. Kirk, Ken, and Brian (the experts) will make that determination. They, of course, will put the best QB on the field.

You also wrote that you observed multiple skill position players visibility frustrated with his play on multiple occasions. Again, Kirk, Ken & Brian (the experts) decide who plays and who gets pulled. Not a WR, not a fan. Kirk, Ken, and Brian, of course, will put the best QB on the field who gives us the best chance to win.

Then you wrote that it made you wonder if some players thought there is a better option on the bench. Again, that is not for a WR or a fan to decide. Kirk, Ken, and Brian (the experts), of course, will put the best QB on the field who gives us the best chance to win.

For you (or any fan) to think or SUGGEST that Kirk, Ken and Brian (the experts) are not going to play the best players that give the team the best chance to win is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

If Spencer is once again our starter it will be because he is our best QB and he gives us the best chance to win.

Period.
I wrote that I observed players frustrated. I never said or suggested they should determine who plays.

I also never said Kirk and staff weren’t trying to play the best players. Never suggested that either.

If you don’t think players can be great in practice and not as good in games then I disagree with you on that--and just so we're clear, I'm not saying that is the case with Spencer. Unfortunately for everyone we don’t have the luxury of trying each QB in a game to see. I'm sure Kirk would love to be able to observe them all play 3 B1G games each and then compare.

As I mentioned, backups come in for starters and occasionally they play better and win the job. That doesn’t mean the coaches were trying to sabotage the team or that the backup was practicing better.

I enjoy your posts but I'm really not sure why this has you so bothered. I’m not criticizing the staff or Spencer. Maybe it’s just the offseason blues, which I would understand. I'm itching to hear Back In Black.

Last edited:
Its possible that Spencer is one of those guys that looks great in practice but freaks out in games. I just do not think he will have as long of a leash this season.

No one on this board really knows. Padilla has done nothing in his limited field time. Hogan is just the next bright shiny object that draws everyone's attention but, to date is just so much sound and fury, signifying nothing.

What we do know is Rivals rates our QB development as an A. Our previous three QBs drew NFL salaries last season. Giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt would seem like the intelligent choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT