ADVERTISEMENT

QB Transfer Portal

Petras throws a nice ball. Probably the best among the current QBs who will be on the roster next year and not including Hogan. He does not have Nate's arm strength though. And he cannot make some of the throws that Nate has made at Iowa.
We will soon see about the last two statements. I think from the highlights of his 50+ touchdowns from his senior season shows amazing accuracy and arm strength we have not seen since Mcgwire.

Reactions: mariner67
It's hard to see the nod going to anyone other than Petras as he has the large size and is primarily a pocket passer, both of which seem to be KF priorities.

I think Petras has the upper hand right now but from what I have seen he in the little he has been in the game he didn't look that good. I am holding out hope for Padilla. KOK said he picked up the offense faster than any QB he has ever had.

I think Petras has the upper hand right now but from what I have seen he in the little he has been in the game he didn't look that good. I am holding out hope for Padilla. KOK said he picked up the offense faster than any QB he has ever had.

LOL!

Reactions: RothMatt
What was there not to like? His first snap as a college QB and he didn't WOW you. I didn't realize the bar was set so high.

Iowa has some really nice QBs waiting in line. Petras should have all the makings to being as good as Stanley if not better. But I'm rooting for Deuce Hogan, his style or play and confidence reminds me of those old school Texas QBs. He seems like a Brett Favre type. I'd so love to see him come in and tear it up from day one and I have a feeling he's gonna make things tough for the returning QBs. That type of competition next year will be exciting.

What was there not to like? His first snap as a college QB and he didn't WOW you. I didn't realize the bar was set so high.

Sorry, if he wins the job and plays well I will like him. Just didn't see anything that stood out.

I will agree with most of this with the caveat of a few instances where we were just too slow to make a change when there are far better players behind them.. Jake C. in 07 and 08. Kyle McCann in 2001 Jake Rudock in 2014.

The only one I'll object to is McCann in '01. Banks flashed ability that year but also made mind-boggling decisions at times. If I recall, Banks admitted that he didn't know the playbook yet that first year.

In general I would want to land on the side of waiting to pull the QB as opposed to doing it quickly. Just thinking back to ISU under Rhoads where you could see his QBs didn't play with much confidence because he had a quick hook and little patience. Hard to build relationships with the other guys on offense, develop a rhythm, etc when you're afraid to do anything that might go badly.

im going to need a better example than a QB used as a gimmick play. Coaches don’t normally use multiple qbs save for gimmicks or injury unless they lack confidence in the #1 guy.
Exactly this. We have no idea what Macaffery would have done if he had actually played more then a couple of plays against our defense. If he was the one facing the pressure he may have shit the bed running from AJ and crew. I also don't think it helped AM play consistently by running two other QB's out there for a couple of plays.

Reactions: owenhawk
Sorry, if he wins the job and plays well I will like him. Just didn't see anything that stood out.

Did you watch the spring game?
Did you watch his 13 play 78 yard drive to the 1 yard line and then his Successful QB sneak after 3 failed rushing attempts in the Middle Tennessee game?
You opinion is meritless it seems. That is the only real times we have seen him...so explain the basis of your opinion please.

Reactions: cm8124 and RothMatt
Your post has great points, yet is highly contradictory. Yes, decision-making, accuracy under pressure, mobility, vision, leadership,....are all probably more important, at the margin, than arm strength. Yet none of those qualities can be truly evaluated except under real game conditions. But our coaches make sure that backups get no game experience during the only time it counts----while the game is still on the line. Then they add to the impossibility of getting good evaluations by keeping red jerseys on the QBs during scrimmages. AND YOU TRUST THE COACHES?
Take some time and dig through the D1 P5 schools and let us know who regularly trots out theur 2nd and 3rd string Qbs for "meaningful" game time snaps.
And long term injury to the starter is not getting snaps for the back up.

Reactions: owenhawk
Exactly this. We have no idea what Macaffery would have done if he had actually played more then a couple of plays against our defense. If he was the one facing the pressure he may have shit the bed running from AJ and crew. I also don't think it helped AM play consistently by running two other QB's out there for a couple of plays.
Macaffery will be broken in half at some point during a full season.

Your post has great points, yet is highly contradictory. Yes, decision-making, accuracy under pressure, mobility, vision, leadership,....are all probably more important, at the margin, than arm strength. Yet none of those qualities can be truly evaluated except under real game conditions. But our coaches make sure that backups get no game experience during the only time it counts----while the game is still on the line. Then they add to the impossibility of getting good evaluations by keeping red jerseys on the QBs during scrimmages. AND YOU TRUST THE COACHES?

Name me one program that doesn't red jersey the QB during scrimmages.

Would love for the hype and Franks to come to Iowa....I know it won't happen but, it'd be fun.

Did you watch the spring game?
Did you watch his 13 play 78 yard drive to the 1 yard line and then his Successful QB sneak after 3 failed rushing attempts in the Middle Tennessee game?
You opinion is meritless it seems. That is the only real times we have seen him...so explain the basis of your opinion please.

Yes I saw both. That drive was mostly Tyler Goodson. Petras made a couple short throws but I didn't see anything that made me think he was going to be really good. I am sorry if my opinion offends you. It is just my opinion.
I do think it is funny you are touting a QB sneak though as evidence of something. As I stated, if he wins the job I hope he is great and will root for him. Having nothing against the kid.
What do you think of him?

I will agree with most of this with the caveat of a few instances where we were just too slow to make a change when there are far better players behind them.. Jake C. in 07 and 08. Kyle McCann in 2001 Jake Rudock in 2014.

Kyle was injured. I cannot imagine how bad a QB would need to be in practice to make Scott Mullen a more attractive starting option.

I forgot that CJ jumped Rudock at the end of end of the season. Its not like Rudock was a bad quarterback, like Scott or Jake. He did start for Michigan and make an NFL roster after having some good games and success at Iowa.

Yes I saw both. That drive was mostly Tyler Goodson. Petras made a couple short throws but I didn't see anything that made me think he was going to be really good. I am sorry if my opinion offends you. It is just my opinion.
I do think it is funny you are touting a QB sneak though as evidence of something. As I stated, if he wins the job I hope he is great and will root for him. Having nothing against the kid.
What do you think of him?

Fair enough. I would simply argue that we have almost no idea beyond the relatively small number of live-action snaps and spring game reps he's gotten. I don't understand how you can draw the conclusion that you don't think he's going to be good. He might well not pan out, we simply have seen so little from him that it's impossible to tell.

Fair enough. I would simply argue that we have almost no idea beyond the relatively small number of live-action snaps and spring game reps he's gotten. I don't understand how you can draw the conclusion that you don't think he's going to be good. He might well not pan out, we simply have seen so little from him that it's impossible to tell.

Thank you for making my point. The problem is that not only can we not tell with such limited exposure, neither can the coaches. There is no excuse for the coaches not to have looked at more than one QB in the fall of 2017. They even said it was a virtual tie and they had trepidations about the lack of force of Nate's personality. Yet for the next 3 years, nobody got any chance, even in spite of an injury, to show what they could do. That is coaching mal-practice and can only be explained by the coaches fearing second guessing if a backup does well.

They are posed to repeat the same mistake in 2020. The saving grace is that even if they make a mistake or pick the right guy for the wrong reasons, I'm guessing that the QB performance will be substantially better next year.

Thank you for making my point. The problem is that not only can we not tell with such limited exposure, neither can the coaches. There is no excuse for the coaches not to have looked at more than one QB in the fall of 2017. They even said it was a virtual tie and they had trepidations about the lack of force of Nate's personality. Yet for the next 3 years, nobody got any chance, even in spite of an injury, to show what they could do. That is coaching mal-practice and can only be explained by the coaches fearing second guessing if a backup does well.

They are posed to repeat the same mistake in 2020. The saving grace is that even if they make a mistake or pick the right guy for the wrong reasons, I'm guessing that the QB performance will be substantially better next year.

ummm, that’s not my point. The point is, we, as fans, only see them on Saturdays. The coaches see them year-round. Stanley has been a good quarterback for Iowa, I disagree with you that they made a mistake 3 years ago.

Name one program that has a spring game with QBs wearing red jerseys.

Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indiana... ;)

In all seriousness, it honestly depends a bit on the school/situation. I believe that in year's past, Kirk for example when Iowa does do full spring games, asks the officials to blow the play dead as soon as the QB is touched. Especially if the depth chart at QB is thin, that's not a position where it's worth risking an injury. Key players at other positions also often either play sparingly or not at all if Kirk is concerned about depth.

And yes, other schools do use red jerseys at spring games. Not all the time, and like I said, it's often a question of depth. When they don't, those are usually situations where they have QB competitions going on. At practice however, I believe it's a fairly common occurrence - I know I've seen many instances where they show footage from practice and you can see the Iowa QB wearing a red jersey.

What part of 'second/third in career stats and touchdowns,' 'Honorable Mention All Big Ten,' 'League Sportsmanship Award,' leading his team to one of the greatest three-year winning records in Iowa history, and the love, respect and admiration of his teammates and coaches don't you get? "Coaching malpractice"? I wish you realized how petty and foolish your comments look.

I don’t either. Petras, Padilla and Mansell will battle. Hogan coming in too. Should be interesting. Also Iowa traveled all 3 of those QBs this year
I am almost absolutely positive Mansell trasnfers...why wouldn't he? He thought he would be the next guy up and it seems as though Petras has stepped in at #2. At some point I'm sure he wants to have a better chance at being the guy, probably somewhere else. Do I want him to go? Not at all...they've had tons of success under dual-threat QBs, and its more fun to watch....but its reality. I think he goes.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I am almost absolutely positive Mansell trasnfers...why wouldn't he? He thought he would be the next guy up and it seems as though Petras has stepped in at #2. At some point I'm sure he wants to have a better chance at being the guy, probably somewhere else. Do I want him to go? Not at all...they've had tons of success under dual-threat QBs, and its more fun to watch....but its reality. I think he goes.

Wouldn’t be surprised. Petras has already won the backup job against him, so he’s definitely the leader going into Spring.

Did you got yo Kid’s Day Scrimmage. On that particular day, he was the best QB in the field including Stanley, through some great deep balls, and was in control in their “situational”possessions. I understand just one practice/scrimmage but only time I’ve seen any of the QB’s for an extended besides Stanley.

And yes, other schools do use red jerseys at spring games. Not all the time, and like I said, it's often a question of depth. When they don't, those are usually situations where they have QB competitions going on. At practice however, I believe it's a fairly common occurrence - I know I've seen many instances where they show footage from practice and you can see the Iowa QB wearing a red jersey.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying and don't disagree about there being risk. I'm not even saying that I think it's a good idea.

What I am saying is that QB is the most critical position on the field and the evaluation is the most difficult because of the variety of skills involved and the fact that most individuals will perform at either a higher or lower level than normal when they are under pressure . So each coach has to arrive at a methodology he feels comfortable with in terms of exposing each candidate to "action under fire". Some will do it with real game play, others with "hot practice", others with some combination. But the reality is that an accurate evaluation can not be made without more live action than we are using. The risk of injury has to be weighed against the risk of picking the wrong guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT