ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those of you who cook . . .

Do you have a favorite wooden spoon?

I do.

It’s just the right length and heft. Has a small crack and some burn marks, but that just adds character.

I will use other ones if necessary, but if this particular one is clean, I’m going to always default to it.
I do not own a wooden spoon. I have a wooden spatula. The only I time I use it is when making soups/chili.

Wooden spoons suck. I said it! We all know it. No sense in pretending otherwise.
Agreed. I don't understand why one would use one over a wooden spatula, other than length. A wooden spatula is better-shaped for scraping stuff off the bottom of a pot when making chili and such.

Reactions: HawCory
Oh you are so wrong!

They don’t scratch up cookware, they are ideal for gently scrambling eggs, they are so versatile.
I don't get it. If I'm making an omelet, sunny side up, or scrambled eggs, a spatula is superior for making or dishing up each of those as compared to a wooden spoon.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
We have 3. My GF has one that says "Sir Mix Alot". That's probably my favorite by process of elimination.

Reactions: torbee
pictures love GIF

Help me understand, if you have good pots, why would you need a wooden spoon? Im open to learning.
Higher end cookware often should not be washed in a dishwasher or have metal utensils used on them.

We have Carote pots and pans and they recommend hand washing and no metal utensils:

Reactions: billanole
Higher end cookware often should not be washed in a dishwasher or have metal utensils used on them.

Ah ok

I don’t use any nonstick stuff. I can see why that would be useful.

We’ve had All-Clad for 20+ years and they still look great. Even put them in the dishwasher on occasion.

We have Carote pots and pans and they recommend hand washing and no metal utensils:

you can use metal on these all day every day.

I don’t have a favorite, but I do have ones for specific recipes and pans. I tend to acquire lots of kitchen tools and I have no reason to keep things that don’t serve a purpose.

I think the question here is why you trash it up with non-stick cookware that you bought from an infomercial

I think the question here is why you trash it up with non-stick cookware that you bought from an infomercial
Are you referring to hexclad? It's high end. I'm not saying it replaces a big cast iron skillet but you would probably find yourself using it the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: praguehawk
100% I do, we have 4 or 5 but there's one we've had forever that I use all the time.

Had a spatula that I loved, my wife bought it at the dollar store when she was single, we've been together over 20 years. It was perfect, and about a year ago it finally broke, I almost cried that day. csb/

Mods, please merge with "Did a Trump cultist just set himself on fire?" thread.

Yes, an assortment of them actually, but we also have a large wooden ladle that is really great for soup, stew & chili...

Yes, the angle of the edge of the spoon is like a moldboard plow cutting through soil. Just does a phenomenal job of stirring and turning things over without the effort that can sometimes lead to things getting pushed over the edge of the pan.

I also have a silicone spatula that is perfect for scrambled eggs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT