ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those of you who live in either Nebraska or western Iowa

BCfanatic2020

Team MVP
Jan 5, 2020
I have a guy on the Purdue board telling me that Nebraska fan on the internet is completely different from Nebraska fan in person. And that, in person, the expectations of Nebraska fans are the same as Purdue fans.

this is the best bird I’ve been to on rivals so if it’s true tell me…

I have a guy on the Purdue board telling me that Nebraska fan on the internet is completely different from Nebraska fan in person. And that, in person, the expectations of Nebraska fans are the same as Purdue fans.

It was long ago (before they joined the Big Ten), but I wento Lincoln for two Iowa-UN games. The real Husker fans in the stands and bars were very friendly and welcoming. Of course their team kicked our team's asses both times. Fortunately those times are as dead as the Roman Empire- and the Romans didn't get tested for steroids.

FWIW the few Neb fans I interact with have very realistic expectations for the season and are sick and tired of Frost. And I don't think I have ever met a Neb fan in person with the delusions of grandeur even close to what is seen regularly on message boards like this.

The internet wasn’t a thing last time Nebraska was great. Every year that the internet grew more popular, they were getting worse, and their fans were becoming more desperate and angry.

I grew up in western Iowa, and attended a lot of games in Lincoln. Although I was always cheering for the other team, fans there were really great. But they were always winning. I think the only game I saw them lose was 1991 against Washington.

this reminds me of a story I heard told about Bobby Knight. Some of the details will of course be wrong, but the point will be the same.

There was a Coach from a smaller school (like Western Illinois for example), who was at a coaching clinic or meetings or something, with Gene Keady and Lou “do” Henson. The topic of conversation turned to Knight, and Keady and Henson were going on about how much of a prick he was.

after a while, the other coach spoke up and said, “you know guys, Bob is always great to me, he is one of my favorite Coaches to interact with, not sure what your deal is?”

Keady then asks the Coach, “just curious Coach, have you ever beaten Bobby Knight?”

“Well, ……… no” was the response.

What are the expectations of Purdue fans?

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerObsessedHawk
The internet wasn’t a thing last time Nebraska was great. Every year that the internet grew more popular, they were getting worse, and their fans were becoming more desperate and angry.

I grew up in western Iowa, and attended a lot of games in Lincoln. Although I was always cheering for the other team, fans there were really great. But they were always winning. I think the only game I saw them lose was 1991 against Washington.

this reminds me of a story I heard told about Bobby Knight. Some of the details will of course be wrong, but the point will be the same.

There was a Coach from a smaller school (like Western Illinois for example), who was at a coaching clinic or meetings or something, with Gene Keady and Lou “do” Henson. The topic of conversation turned to Knight, and Keady and Henson were going on about how much of a prick he was.

after a while, the other coach spoke up and said, “you know guys, Bob is always great to me, he is one of my favorite Coaches to interact with, not sure what your deal is?”

Keady then asks the Coach, “just curious Coach, have you ever beaten Bobby Knight?”

“Well, ……… no” was the response.
Um the internet is way older than you think lmfao

True. Mostly nice in person and horrible trolls on the internet.

Things are a little tense along the Missouri river however. It seems as if the Nebraskans are throwing dynamite across the river at the Iowans. The Iowans are lighting it and throwing it back.

It was long ago (before they joined the Big Ten), but I wento Lincoln for two Iowa-UN games. The real Husker fans in the stands and bars were very friendly and welcoming. Of course their team kicked our team's asses both times. Fortunately those times are as dead as the Roman Empire- and the Romans didn't get tested for steroids.

BINGO !! I love that. The bugeaters have lost their steroid advantage.

• Haha
I do not live in Western IA or NE but would like to share the following:

For the last 4 years, every morning i've driven past a husker fan's house. Four years ago there were two flags flying outside this house -- one national flag, and one larger bright red N flag. Three years ago, both flags continued to be present. Last year (2021) however, only the American flag was up, the N flag had been taken down. Which brings me to the present. Last week the flag of the N had returned after going MIA the entire 2021 season.

Based on this observation, i think that the huskers in real life are expecting 10-12 wins and a ccg appearance. Expectations are definitely up in husker land.

This quote is spot on. It’s easy to treat people nicely and with respect when you’re winning and having great success. We’re finding out the measure of many Nebraska fans’ true character now. Mind you, many are fantastic and humble folks indeed. But many that were “fake nice” and respectful are showing their true selves now. Their collective animosity and anger toward other fan bases is being driven by this imo.

“The true measure of a person's character is how one handles one's failures, not successes.”

I went to a game in Lincoln where Iowa won. I had my Hawkeye gold on and didn't get any crap. The fans were actually all very friendly to me and one even bought me a Runza or whatever those things are called.

This was back when Pelini was coaching and they were still a competitive team.

Sorry. Edit to say I live in California but figured I'd share my Nebraska game experience since it was about their fans. Also my Nebby friends are sick of Frost and are realistic.

• Haha
I can't remember a summer since they joined the bten that there were less nebraska trolls here but I'm sure that will all change before black Friday if they have even a halfway decent season

• Haha
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and my primary observations are:
  • Nebraska fans who don't hold Nebraska football as an important entity as it relates to their sense of self - these fans are quite reasonable and have very measured expectations for the team. Folks from this category aren't necessarily against Frost - but they do want to see behave like a "better CEO." Other folks in this category have already acquired Frost-fatigue and are in favor of a "regime change."
  • There are a group of fans who have their sense of self intimately tied to the performance of their beloved Huskers. These are the tool-bags who are most apt to talk-shit. For this group of folks - hope often does spring eternal. However, there is a vocal contingent of these folks who absolutely HATE Frost because of all the losses.
While Hawk fans might not like this - at games in Lincoln, Husker fans are generally excellent and hospitable hosts. Even though the Husker tailgating scene arguably has even more booze present that Iowa's ... the likelihood for shenanigans is quite low. I have some friends who are long-time season ticket holders ... and they're more concerned about their safety at Kinnick than they were at the Husker's Memorial stadium (part of this was informed by my friend's wife being borderline sexually assaulted at Kinnick).

Anyhow, generally speaking, I think that the "good" Husker fans are in the majority. With almost any fanbase, it's the vocal minority that can often give them a bad name.

That said ... for the longest time, even the "good" Husker fans could have such a condescending demeanor ... much of that informed by their sentiments of entitlement, developed by the long-time success enjoyed under Devaney and Osborn.

Um the internet is way older than you think lmfao
So I see you continue on your quest to be a huge ass. Now you are gonna come at me because I called you out on it? Whatever man.

I know the internet has been around for a while. I also know that in 1994 through 1997-98, it wasn’t mainstream in everyone’s house, and that all of theses fan forums did not exist. So go pound sand with your lmfao.

So I see you continue on your quest to be a huge ass. Now you are gonna come at me because I called you out on it? Whatever man.

I know the internet has been around for a while. I also know that in 1994 through 1997-98, it wasn’t mainstream in everyone’s house, and that all of theses fan forums did not exist. So go pound sand with your lmfao.
By 2001 most folks, not in the sticks, were using the net.
Quit posting dumb shit and making me lmao

I am another that has been to a couple of games in Lincoln, 99% of the fans were very nice, Like any fanbase there is always some assholes. Have had much worse experiences in Madison.
The internet seems to easily bring out a sense of false bravado, You see it here everyday, Pretty safe to say the way folks act in real life is likely somewhat different than their actions on here.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and my primary observations are:
  • Nebraska fans who don't hold Nebraska football as an important entity as it relates to their sense of self - these fans are quite reasonable and have very measured expectations for the team. Folks from this category aren't necessarily against Frost - but they do want to see behave like a "better CEO." Other folks in this category have already acquired Frost-fatigue and are in favor of a "regime change."
  • There are a group of fans who have their sense of self intimately tied to the performance of their beloved Huskers. These are the tool-bags who are most apt to talk-shit. For this group of folks - hope often does spring eternal. However, there is a vocal contingent of these folks who absolutely HATE Frost because of all the losses.
While Hawk fans might not like this - at games in Lincoln, Husker fans are generally excellent and hospitable hosts. Even though the Husker tailgating scene arguably has even more booze present that Iowa's ... the likelihood for shenanigans is quite low. I have some friends who are long-time season ticket holders ... and they're more concerned about their safety at Kinnick than they were at the Husker's Memorial stadium (part of this was informed by my friend's wife being borderline sexually assaulted at Kinnick).

Anyhow, generally speaking, I think that the "good" Husker fans are in the majority. With almost any fanbase, it's the vocal minority that can often give them a bad name.

That said ... for the longest time, even the "good" Husker fans could have such a condescending demeanor ... much of that informed by their sentiments of entitlement, developed by the long-time success enjoyed under Devaney and Osborn.
Condescending indeed. I worked for an Omaha based Corp in the 90s and any talk of Iowa football would bring on the 20 minute lecture of "That's all nice but let me educate you on how everything Husker transcends your meager successes'. Many of these folks were also die hard Kansas basketball fans.

Allot of Omaha Nebraska fans were relentless when I was kid and the News stations always had something Nebraska football on.
They have definitely been humbled these few years though.

• Haha
I grew up going to game in Lincoln, left for college and career, returned for career.

Nebraska fan’s reputation about being the best, nicest, is a bunch of crap. They are more insufferable and egotistical than most.

The rep cam from when they won….and frankly it was patronizing then…’thank for entertaining us’ type applause.

are the worse than other fan bases? no

Allot of Omaha Nebraska fans were relentless when I was kid and the News stations always had something Nebraska football on.
They have definitely been humbled these few years though.
They might be humble now (rightfully so, based on Nebby’s poor on-field performance and egotistical head coach); however, if they ever experience success again, I’m sure their obnoxious fans will return in full force.

FWIW the few Neb fans I interact with have very realistic expectations for the season and are sick and tired of Frost. And I don't think I have ever met a Neb fan in person with the delusions of grandeur even close to what is seen regularly on message boards like this.
I don't know about that. They have their reasonable base that are wait to see it to believe it then they have those that think they are winning B10 every year. I don't think Iowa has those type of fans at all. Granted those fans are going to Ireland just to watch a Northwestern game. If I'm going to Ireland I'm not there to watch a football game.

Most Nebraska fans I've met aren't necessarily arrogant or outwardly delusional. But they are very snobbish and condescending without even realizing it in a lot of cases.

I do think they try to present this image of being "the nicest fans in CFB" but there is a f*** ton of smiling through their teeth going on.

Don't for a second believe that it's just the case of internet Nebraska trolls ruining it for the rest of them........

But if you're looking for the fanbase MOST like their internet counterparts, it is, without question, Wisconsin fans. They know who and what they are and they do not change from one medium to the next...........so basically all drunken a**holes. ;)

I worked with a young guy who went to Nebraska during the 90's. If any talk of college football came up, you could bank on him starting a sentence with "When Nebraska had back to back NC's....". Granted, I'm sure it was cool for him to be a student there then, but he was dead certain that Nebraska was going to dominate the B1G when it was announced that they were joining. It's a bit of a cliché here, but he really seemed to view it as their rightful place to be the kings of college football. Watching him freak out as they wilted in the B1G was both satisfying and sad.

Just before they hired Frost he moved away, but by then he was pretty much a broken man. He still dreamed of Nebraska getting back to their rightful place, but I think he was much more realistic about the odds. Last I knew, he was on board with the idea that they were just going to be another team in the B1G that would sometimes compete for the division and sometimes not. They idea that they were going to own the B1G was a distant dream.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he went fully back on board the Husker Hype train when they hired Frost though. Like most Nebraska fans, it's like a dormant virus in the back of their minds that they are the best program in the nation. They're just waiting for a winning season or two to come back out of their shell.

It's absurd to paint fans with a broad brush. And EVERY fan base has jack*ss fans - obviously some more than others, But it's the jack*ss fans that are the loudest so they are the ones that stand out.

In 1980, Nebraska humiliated the Hawks 57-0 in Lincoln. In 1981, the Hawks prevailed in Kinnick 10-7. There were thousands of Neb fans at the game.

In the aftermath, we partied for hours at the Fieldhouse - there were tons of Husker fans there enjoying themselves despite the fact that we continued to shout, "We Hucked the Fuskers!". The grumpy jack*ss fans must have gone back to Lincoln.

Hating an entire fan base is dumb.

I grew up in NW Iowa. I've heard home games at Nebraska are nice but dealing with them in day to day they have an arrogance about what they "deserve" in the college football world.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that if they see your program as lesser they will never give you any due respect in any situation and no matter what your team achieves. If you beat their ass 7 years in a row you will hear "oh yeah well who is better in the series overall?" Or if Iowa even won the National Championship this year a large contingent of their fan base would start with the " Oh yeah well you'll need a lot more trophies before you catch up with us!" as they bumble away on another 3 win season.

If they have even an 8 win season they will come busting out of the woodwork warning everyone they are about to be back to former glory.

I grew up in NW Iowa. I've heard home games at Nebraska are nice but dealing with them in day to day they have an arrogance about what they "deserve" in the college football world.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that if they see your program as lesser they will never give you any due respect in any situation and no matter what your team achieves. If you beat their ass 7 years in a row you will hear "oh yeah well who is better in the series overall?" Or if Iowa even won the National Championship this year a large contingent of their fan base would start with the " Oh yeah well you'll need a lot more trophies before you catch up with us!" as they bumble away on another 3 win season.

If they have even an 8 win season they will come busting out of the woodwork warning everyone they are about to be back to former glory.
Informative post percyland. But as I posted earlier UN's glory days of the 1990s are as dead as the Roman Empire.

I do not live in Western IA or NE but would like to share the following:

For the last 4 years, every morning i've driven past a husker fan's house. Four years ago there were two flags flying outside this house -- one national flag, and one larger bright red N flag. Three years ago, both flags continued to be present. Last year (2021) however, only the American flag was up, the N flag had been taken down. Which brings me to the present. Last week the flag of the N had returned after going MIA the entire 2021 season.

Based on this observation, i think that the huskers in real life are expecting 10-12 wins and a ccg appearance. Expectations are definitely up in husker land.
Wrong! A bowl game is the hope and expectation. 10-12 wins? Conference championship game appearance? Get serious. I don't know anyone who truly believes that.

I grew up in NW Iowa, the internet Nebby fans are predominantly a different breed that borders on psychotic and delusional. Hard to say what age group this as I would think most of them who speak of the glory years would be 30+ and not just some immature kids being trolls which makes there existence even more interesting. The real life Nebby fans are much more down to earth, very similar to the average Iowan and generally good people. However, I did always notice a little to a lot of arrogance/talking down to other fans. Not sure they even realized they were doing it, but very similar to how their AD casually made the “evaluate where their(Iowa’s) program was” before firing Pellini.

As to OP's question, zero chance Neb fans have same expectations as Purdue. The underlying Neb fan arrogance is still there, just a bit wounded.

My random anecdote. 2015 was having pre-game beers at this hole in the wall well known bar in Lincoln (they had a free lukewarm husker dog buffet, can't miss out on that!), and was chatting with their fans. I asked what they expected of the game, the consensus was about 34-13 Nebraska win, which surprised me since Iowa was undefeated and Neb was not bowl eligible I don't think. Anyway, Hawks did what they do, win ugly. The fans in the stands were quite passive aggressive ("can't believe you're undefeated but only favored by 5 points!!"). But it sure was satisfying taking in the celebration in and outside that stadium. Cool place to watch a game though, including the team entrance. Very loud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT