ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those of you who live in either Nebraska or western Iowa

I have a guy on the Purdue board telling me that Nebraska fan on the internet is completely different from Nebraska fan in person. And that, in person, the expectations of Nebraska fans are the same as Purdue fans.

this is the best bird I’ve been to on rivals so if it’s true tell me…
That's not true. They are like the prom queen from a small town that still thinks there all that despite being a fat arse 20 years later. At least that's how it is when I travel to work there.

Moved to Omaha in '93, about the worst possible timing you could imagine. They went 60-3 the first 5 years and the fans and media were absolutely insufferable. It's something that will always stick with me.
And as others have said there was zero acknowledgement for anything outside Nebraska. It wasn't that other schools had comparable game day experiences or traditions; it was Nebraska way at the top and then everybody else. Even today I know Nebraska fans who still can't pronounce Ferentz correctly.

I have a guy on the Purdue board telling me that Nebraska fan on the internet is completely different from Nebraska fan in person. And that, in person, the expectations of Nebraska fans are the same as Purdue fans.

As an ISU can I have been to maybe half a dozen games at Lincoln and have always been treated well, much better than BY fans were treated at Ames.......But that was when the games were not competitive.

As to OP's question, zero chance Neb fans have same expectations as Purdue. The underlying Neb fan arrogance is still there, just a bit wounded.

My random anecdote. 2015 was having pre-game beers at this hole in the wall well known bar in Lincoln (they had a free lukewarm husker dog buffet, can't miss out on that!), and was chatting with their fans. I asked what they expected of the game, the consensus was about 34-13 Nebraska win, which surprised me since Iowa was undefeated and Neb was not bowl eligible I don't think. Anyway, Hawks did what they do, win ugly. The fans in the stands were quite passive aggressive ("can't believe you're undefeated but only favored by 5 points!!"). But it sure was satisfying taking in the celebration in and outside that stadium. Cool place to watch a game though, including the team entrance. Very loud.

I was also at that game. I think you put it best when you talk about the random passive aggressive comments and stuff. They aren't idiots like their internet fans but they aren't the nicest fans around at this point either. Man that game was freezing cold though.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and my primary observations are:
  • Nebraska fans who don't hold Nebraska football as an important entity as it relates to their sense of self - these fans are quite reasonable and have very measured expectations for the team. Folks from this category aren't necessarily against Frost - but they do want to see behave like a "better CEO." Other folks in this category have already acquired Frost-fatigue and are in favor of a "regime change."
  • There are a group of fans who have their sense of self intimately tied to the performance of their beloved Huskers. These are the tool-bags who are most apt to talk-shit. For this group of folks - hope often does spring eternal. However, there is a vocal contingent of these folks who absolutely HATE Frost because of all the losses.
While Hawk fans might not like this - at games in Lincoln, Husker fans are generally excellent and hospitable hosts. Even though the Husker tailgating scene arguably has even more booze present that Iowa's ... the likelihood for shenanigans is quite low. I have some friends who are long-time season ticket holders ... and they're more concerned about their safety at Kinnick than they were at the Husker's Memorial stadium (part of this was informed by my friend's wife being borderline sexually assaulted at Kinnick).

Anyhow, generally speaking, I think that the "good" Husker fans are in the majority. With almost any fanbase, it's the vocal minority that can often give them a bad name.

That said ... for the longest time, even the "good" Husker fans could have such a condescending demeanor ... much of that informed by their sentiments of entitlement, developed by the long-time success enjoyed under Devaney and Osborn.

During their hey day the typical husker fan was just so arrogant it would almost make you puke.

These days the fan base at ISU is much much worse, just a nasty bunch of retards. Take it from a Hawk fan who has only missed one game at Trice since the rivalry resumed. I know Hawk fans that won't go to a game there because of it.

My bro-in-law is born and bred Husker.
Good guy. Puts up with his in-laws large hawk clan constant hawk talk with grace and humility.
Very skeptical on Frost.
Is at the "show me" stage on Frost..dislikes all recent husker coaches.

Not true.

Nebraska fan is as obnoxious in person. I have lots of friends that are Nebraska fans and you get a few drinks in them you get full Husker fan. You will be told about how Iowa is nothing because we've never won anything. You'll hear about the 90's championship teams. You'll hear how Tom Osborne was the greatest coach ever. You'll hear about the All-Americans. You'll hear about the sellout streak.

What you never hear about is how the Huskers are CURRENLTY doing. All of the talk is based on the past.

Having now read through this entire thread. It is a lot different living amongst the Husker fans than experiencing them while attending a game in Lincoln. Of course, in Lincoln you would think Husker fans would be on their best behavior as they are representing their school and it is only for a couple of hours while they are surrounded by their fellow fans.

Husker fans out in the wild and in every day life reveal what they really are and what they really think of Iowa and other teams. BTW, Iowa State doesn't even register to them, they kicked the crap out of the Clones for decades, they are irrelevant. Husker fan truly thinks of themselves as being in the upper echelon of CFB with OSU, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, etc.

For reference, I can step outside my house and see the Missouri River and the bluffs on the Nebraska side of the river. I'm on the front lines of a battle that has been raging for decades. It was a silent war that was waged on the border for a very long time until Nebraska was allowed to join the Big Ten that has turned into a full on hot conflict now. It has been nice for many years as Husker fans have not had much to say about losing to Iowa. I pray that continues in 2022.

I could laugh at Nebbers all day long!

They’re probably my favorite of all of Iowa’s lil bros to make fun of & pick on.

Of course, they’re definitely the least educated of our lil bros, so you always have to dumb it down when you pick on them.

You know, so they’ll get it.

I live in Omaha. Most Fans have been humbled. Several thought when they hired Frost that they would win the West / B1G and make the the playoffs by year 2-3. I get a lot of "Go Hawks" wearing my Iowa hats. Everyone either respects Iowa or is smart enough to keep their opinions to themselves. When Nebraska starts winning the obnoxious fans will start up again. But that is what makes football season fun.

During their hey day the typical husker fan was just so arrogant it would almost make you puke.

These days the fan base at ISU is much much worse, just a nasty bunch of retards. Take it from a Hawk fan who has only missed one game at Trice since the rivalry resumed. I know Hawk fans that won't go to a game there because of it.
I don't doubt what you say. I would just add that I haven't been to an ISU game at Kinnick since 1979 because of the way we were treated. It goes both ways.

I live in Council Bluffs and have always been a Husker fan. I have been a fan since the late 60s. I work in Omaha. I think anonymous posts allows people on both sides to be jerks. Husker fans want a winner and plenty frustrated since 2001. Loyal fans follow the team despite losing records. Nebraska expected Frost to turn the program around. We will find out soon enough.

I live in Council Bluffs and have always been a Husker fan. I have been a fan since the late 60s. I work in Omaha. I think anonymous posts allows people on both sides to be jerks. Husker fans want a winner and plenty frustrated since 2001. Loyal fans follow the team despite losing records. Nebraska expected Frost to turn the program around. We will find out soon enough.
However, hasn’t Frost already had plenty of time to “turn the program around”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT