ADVERTISEMENT

Question from a Pitt fan

Dec 5, 2013
So last year before the Pitt-Iowa game, I asked about this on the Iowa 247 boards when I was a member and got a pretty good response.

What are the key things I should know about Iowa going into Saturday? Who are the big names to know? What do you do great? What exploits do you see Iowa having that makes you nervous? I was reading your prediction thread and it seems to me that a lot of you think Iowa will handle Pitt pretty well. I can also answer some questions if you have any about Pitt. Looking forward to the game Saturday, boys!

I would say the sentiment today is much different than 2 weeks ago. The band wagon is starting to fill up a bit again.

I want to hear about the quality of Pitts first 2 opponents and what that might tell us if anything. Don't really know much at this point

QB CJ Beatherd can be brilliant. Our RB situation is sketchy right now.

Nervous? Narduzzi knows our schemes extremely well.

iowa has had three or four years of being mediocre, iowa will more than likely lose three or more games this year.. other thAn that who knows...the isu game was great, iowa looked like the scrappy team of a few years back

The biggest question I see for the Hawks is can we handle teams that run right at us. The first two opponents have tried and failed to attack us on the edge.

Agree about CJ
Agree about RBs

Agree that Narduzzi knows us to an extent, however, CJ can make throws and runs that Jake could never do during the Narduzzi years at MSU. I would argue that the Iowa coaches may know Narduzzi's defensive philosophy better than his players, at this point. Just a thought....

Reactions: DixieHawkeye
I look for a very tight game.Who has taken over for your lost running back?

Running back by committee approach, but it's not just any players thrown in that weren't expecting it. All three running backs playing were going to play this year. especially after on of our initial pass catching backs got hurt in camp for the year. Qadree Ollison has been getting most so far as a RS Fr after a 16 carry 207 yard performance against YSU in the second half after the Conner injury. He has a very bruising style of running. Chris James is a Sophomore former 4* out of Chicago who I believe you guys offered. He is really quick and shifty and a nice change of pace to complement Ollison. Finally is Darrin Hall, another 4* kid (True Freshman) out of Ohio who has showed some promise early.

As much as it hurts to lose the ACC POY, I don't think it instantly turns RB into a weakness. This group has looked pretty strong so far. Ollison's 207 was the most by a freshman in Pitt history, and although it was only against YSU, he did it all in the second half on only 16 carries.

Beathard has a good arm, and isn't afraid to run with the ball. He played the 2nd half against Pitt last year, and as you may recall that game was a tale of two halves.
Hoping our receivers can get separation. Vandeberg looked great against ISU.
Wadley has had fumbleitis, but he is explosive. Canzeri can run and catch out of the backfield. He will probably be our every down back since Daniels is questionable.

Interesting you say that. When I saw the article on your RBs, I assumed that meant your O took a massive hit. I know an Iowa WR loves to have his breakout against Pitt, but that is concerning for us that your QB has a lot of promise. Who are the wide receivers to look for? Is there one main guy and role players or is it pretty spread out? Hard to weigh in on the defense against you guys since Narduzzi hasn't had a chance to get his guys in the system yet.

I want to hear about the quality of Pitts first 2 opponents and what that might tell us if anything. Don't really know much at this point

First two opponents were YSU (1-AA) and Akron. It really won't tell you much. YSU did score a decent amount, but that was supplemented by a Pick 6 and two 75+ yard TDs on some flat out missed plays by our guys who were in position to make a play. Other than those plays, they've played pretty great so far, albeit against not the best opponents. I think every game they play, the more comfortable they are going to get in this new D. I think it could be pretty good by midseason, and our front 7 looks significantly better than last year.

The offense has definitely looked different under the new OC. Also, our star Tyler Boyd missed the first game so that could partially contribute to it. It looks like we have a full blown QB battle as well which has made for some odd substitutions. Narduzzi has played a lot of guys in these first two games and I really think he is trying to figure out his roster in real situations. I think now that we have a real opponent, he is going to buckle down and not do so much random substitution and pick guys and let them roll. We also have quite a few of ORs on our two deep, it's weird. Also, some Pitt fans tend to think we have held back quite a bit on play calling these first two games to not give teams like yours real looks at what we will be throwing at them, so it really might mean the first two games aren't telling of what to expect.

What is with Pitt getting skill position recruits? It seems like a never ending supply of 4 star RB and WR.

What is with Pitt getting skill position recruits? It seems like a never ending supply of 4 star RB and WR.

I would agree with RB but not with WR. Outside of Tyler Boyd, our wide receivers have no identity. I believe that beyond TB, we returned 2 total catches among other receivers on the roster. Some guys really need to step up and secure these other positions. As far as running backs, I completely agree, we almost always have a beast ready to step up and take over. Some of it is good coaching and recruiting (James Conner was recruited by basically everyone, as in only MAC schools, as a DE), but I think some is the train is rolling. You point to the success of our running backs every year to a kid and they want to be part of that, in turn becoming someone you point to their success because they are a good player to the next set of recruits. The ball is and has been rolling for Pitt RBs for a long time and I don't see that stopping anytime soon because of the cycle. I could probably recruit a 4* running back to Pitt by showing him the running backs of the past 10 years who have been drafted and have meaningful roles on NFL teams.

Beathard has a good arm, and isn't afraid to run with the ball. He played the 2nd half against Pitt last year, and as you may recall that game was a tale of two halves.
Hoping our receivers can get separation. Vandeberg looked great against ISU.
Wadley has had fumbleitis, but he is explosive. Canzeri can run and catch out of the backfield. He will probably be our every down back since Daniels is questionable.

So should this Iowa team be one that is going to air it out a lot this game? Or is this still a run first team? For some reason, when I see Iowa, I can't help but think they're going to relentlessly pound the rock behind a bunch of future NFL linemen. I could see how the running back issues would make you change your ways a little bit. Or maybe even this team was going to look like this before because of the success of Beathard

Iowa will look to establish the run. The game will probably be an old school man ball fist fight. It will be a lot of fun under the lights at Kinnick.

Reactions: icu81222
So should this Iowa team be one that is going to air it out a lot this game? Or is this still a run first team? For some reason, when I see Iowa, I can't help but think they're going to relentlessly pound the rock behind a bunch of future NFL linemen. I could see how the running back issues would make you change your ways a little bit. Or maybe even this team was going to look like this before because of the success of Beathard

Look for a pretty even mix. If Iowa could get away with just running it down the other teams throat they probably would, but it rarely works out that way. In the first 2 games the numbers were pretty even. So far this year the running game has been fairly effective, but it's not like we were playing Alabama either. If you subtract the sacks last week Beathard ran for over 100 yards himself.

Look for a pretty even mix. If Iowa could get away with just running it down the other teams throat they probably would, but it rarely works out that way. In the first 2 games the numbers were pretty even. So far this year the running game has been fairly effective, but it's not like we were playing Alabama either. If you subtract the sacks last week Beathard ran for over 100 yards himself.

That's pretty solid. It would be interesting to see how Narduzzi's defenses held up against mobile QBs at MSU (although we obviously don't yet have the personnel to perfectly run his defense). I haven't looked into it but that could be a telling stat for an x-factor

Here is a very long analysis of Iowa that I sent to a Pitt friend of mine. Feel free to share it or amend it as you see fit. Apologies for any spelling or grammar errors. I'm far from a football coach, so some of what I say may even be stupidly incorrect - feel free to shame me and show no mercy!

Iowa Offense:

QB – You’ll remember we played two QBs in the Pitt game last year. CJ Beathard was our backup, and that baffled many of us Hawkeye fans. He seemed to have “it”, the team seemed to respond better to him being on the field, and his arm strength is better than Jake Rudock. Yes, that is the Jake Rudock that graduated from Iowa and used the transfer rule to go to Michigan, where Jim Harbaugh has him starting (and I think Michigan fans are wondering the same thing Iowa fans were last year). At any rate, CJ can make all of the throws, and as we have seen glimpses of, he makes plays with his legs as well. At Iowa State last weekend, he was 15-25 for 215 yards and had 3 TDs passing. He also ran 10 times for 77 yards, with a long of 57. If there is any criticism of CJ, it is that he sometimes throws the ball TOO HARD on shorter/intermediate routes, and the Hawkeye WRs aren’t always capable of handling it. Note that if Beathard goes down, our next QB has only taken about 10 snaps in mop up duty and is not at all ready for prime time. He is a redshirt freshman named Tyler Wiegers and I haven’t a clue if he’s any good.

RB – we thought we were stacked here. LeShun Daniels is the starter, but he has already gotten a little dinged up (I think it’s his ankle) and didn’t play in the second half at Iowa State. If Daniels can play, he’s your typical B1G back – able to take a pounding, but still shifty enough to hit the holes. He doesn’t appear to have breakaway speed, but he is very strong and very quick initially, and has been reliable with the football. Jordan Canzeri is our #2 back, and he’s a bit smaller than Daniels. Canzeri is more of a speedster who can run away if he gets in the clear, but he’s not likely to excel if asked to run between the tackles all day long. He isn’t big enough to take the pounding of that, nor can he move the pile like you’d want him to. We’d rather throw screens to Canzeri and let him get in space. RB #3 is currently suspended for reasons unknown. RB #4 is actually one of the best looking, Akrum Wadley… this guy is quick, has a good burst, and likely tops out pretty well, but we don’t get to see him aside from mop up duty as he has fumbled 4 times in 36 career carries. As it stands right now, he better be ready to go against Pitt because we might need him. Gulp, hope he can hang onto the ball if he has to see the field.

WR – our offensive weakness lies here. Tevaun Smith is our best WR and I think has borderline NFL talent. Matt VandeBerg is rapidly rising and is seemingly Beathard’s safety blanket. He has good hands and can beat teams deep, but he shouldn’t particularly “scare” anybody. Iowa’s biggest issue with the WRs is none of them consistently get open and if CJ doesn’t have all day, he is forced to check down or take off running, or get sacked. Jacob Hillyer is a 6-4 212 senior who can occasionally make a play, but no need to really key on him or even be worried. There are some other promising younger guys, but for the most part our WRs only work when we have the running game established and the safeties are forced into the box or trapped by play action.

TE – Our best TE is hurt for the first half of the season, but the two we have playing are both 6-4 and around 240-250 and are both upper classmen. They do what you need TEs to do with blocking, and occasionally catch a crossing route, but for the most part Iowa’s current offense doesn’t seem to look for the TE all that much. It isn’t a weakness at all, but it COULD be a position of strength if targeted.

OL – we kind of tend to give Ferentz the benefit of the doubt here, and it seems to have worked out yet again. Going into the year, both tackles from the 2014 team have gone to the NFL and we’re replacing them with very unproven younger players. Meanwhile, the guard play from 2014 wasn’t up to par for a Hawkeye OL. The new tackles are both sophomores, and both weigh 300 pounds and are about 6-5. Boone Myers and Ike Boettger are their names, and I have to say both have impressed me so far. I think they have a way to go to be the next NFL prospects, of course, but both pass blocking and run blocking seem to be working out. The guards were a weakness last year, but sophomore Sean Welsh seems better this year and Jordan Walsh is now a senior. They are pushed hard by a freshman from Ohio named James Daniels, who gets playing time to keep everybody fresh at the guard position. Center Austin Blythe is the “stud” of the line and is probably going to get NFL attention. He’s a senior and I think he’s invaluable, although if he were to go down, I’ve seen some chatter that freshman Daniels can come in and things could shift around such that we’d still have experience across the interior of the line. I’ve spent a lot of time on this position, but I’ll sum it up as follows: Surprisingly serviceable given the losses from 2014, but not very deep should the injury bug strike us.

Iowa Defense:

DL – Tackle Carl Davis is now in the NFL but I swear to you 6-4 310 junior Jaleel Johnson has stepped in and filled his shoes. The tackle position in Iowa’s defense is designed to hold ground and occupy 2 men if possible. Any forward push is icing on the cake, and Johnson gets forward push. He was jumpy in the Iowa State game and got caught offsides a couple times, but he’s really good. The two ends, seniors Nate Meier and Drew Ott are just beasts. Ott projects as a legit NFL player going 64- 272 and he’s got a motor, but he hurt his arm in the first half of the Iowa State game and was in a sling the rest of the day. Evidently he will be available Saturday night, but I am still struggling to figure out how (perhaps a big brace?). He really is a game-changer coming at the opposing team’s LT, so if he is playing that’s big for Iowa’s defense.

LB – a glaring weakness in the 2014 team, but then again when all three LBs from the 2013 team went to the NFL, we had to suffer a year of “new guys”. They took the wrong angles many times and got exposed in 2014, so the fact that they are all back only means they are a year older… however, in the fall, Ferentz moved a senior into the first team and demoted a sophomore back to second team. So far this year, the DL has been good enough and the opposition weak enough that we’re still not totally sure about the unit. At least they have experience now, but if facing a team with a quick running back and an OL that sets the edge, we’re probably going to have some issues. Still an unproven and unknown unit on this defense, I’d say.

DB – Junior CB Desmond King is the closest thing we have to a “shutdown” corner, and I’ll buy it as far as Big Ten WRs are concerned. Can he cover Boyd? Well, that’s not going to be easy, but I hope so. Greg Mabin is opposite him and he’s now a junior. The two CBs are above average for the B1G, I’d say. Safety Jordan Lomax is a senior and he’s very capable in coverage. I don’t know as much about the other safety, Miles Tayler, as he is just a sophomore. Should King and/or Mabin go down, the quality of the CBs falls off, but Sean Draper is a senior that has played plenty and can come in to help in a nickel or in our “Raider” third down package where the DL and LBs all stand upright and move back and forth to disguise who is coming and who is dropping back in coverage. It is a neat defensive package that tends to confuse QBs as only 3 guys will pass rush and the other 8 drop into coverage.

Iowa Special Teams:

K - Marshall Koehn is a senior who booms the ball through the end zone on kickoffs. He’s also been progressing nicely on FG attempts. He has the leg to go as far as 50 I’d say. Of course, if there is wind or any elements, I don’t know how far KF would trust him. But he’s progressed through the system and is finally a senior, so I think we can “expect” him to be his best and most reliable this year.

P – Dillon Kidd is a senior, but he’s nothing special as far as I’m concerned. Iowa’s punting has been really bad for a few years now. All I can say is this year we changed formations from a pro-style to the 3-man “shield” and that SHOULD allow for better coverage. I can’t say for sure given we haven’t had to punt all that much this year, but as far as I can remember, nobody has done anything meaningful yet with a return. Whether that is due to small sample size or truly improved coverage, I have no clue.

continued, it didn't all fit...

My Game Prediction:

On offense, and as always, Iowa’s going to want to establish the run. Pitt should have 8 men in the box early to help cut down on the effectiveness of this. I assume Narduzzi is not going to be surprised by anything Iowa does, so I’d expect an ugly first quarter while both teams feel each other out. If Iowa cannot run the ball, then we’re probably in big trouble because I just don’t trust our WRs to get open for Beathard to have his opportunity to show off his arm. On the flip side, if Iowa is able to run the ball and stay on-schedule with 2nd and 5, 3rd and 2 type of situations, I think Beathard will steal the show.

On defense, Iowa needs to stop the run. I hate to see Connor hurt because he would have been an EXCELLENT test for this defense to know “where they are” as of game three. Iowa has struggled a bit with teams that come straight at us, and that’s still what I’d expect Pitt to do. Our LBs should be tested a lot in this game, especially with the WR threat that Pitt brings – CBs and safeties cannot cheat much or at least if they do, we’d expect to get burned because of it. I have heard the backup RB is pretty good, so maybe you can tell me some more about this?

Overall, I think the Hawks can get to 24-27 points total. The spread and over/under would suggest I’m consensus with that pick (Hawks -5.5, 50.5), and Pitt should be in the 21-24 range. That all sounds about right. I’m not confident in this pick, but I have to take Iowa, especially since we are at home. I’ll go with 27-24, Iowa. I think it will be a great game, with back and forth scoring and it very well could be decided in the final minute.

QB- CJ is a play maker and so far has not took unnecessary risks. You will be the best competition he will have faced as a starter. I cant wait to see how he responds. He seems to be a gamer.
RB - We have no power back right now. Daniels ankle is questionable, one guy has been suspended. Our 2 backs right now are Jordan Canzeri and Akrum Wadley and neither are very big. Jordan ran really well last week and is a big threat out of the backfield as a receiver but not sure we want him taking it 25 carries each game. Wadley has problems holding on to the ball.
WR - They can't get open right now it seems. If we go 3 wide, CJ will almost always go to the guy who isn't on a CB.
TE - They have been scarcely used so far but seem very capable
OL - Has been good so far but again you are the best DL they will have seen this year. Guard to Guard we are really good and 3 guards play. Our tackles have played well but we will see this week as I am not sure they have been really tested.

DE - Our best is probably out this week. We find out today. The other guys are undersized but have played well up to this point this season but it is believed that they have faced 2 sub-par offensive tackles in each game..
DT - We seem to be pretty good here. Starters have been really good, Jaleel Johnson is a beast. 3 or 4 man rotation there.
LB - Improved but still the weak spot of the defense. You guys can probably get to the edge on us with faster players although Ben Nieman seems much quicker than Jewell (Moved to MLB) or Bower who lost his job in camp.
CB - Very good, I am very excited to watch Tyler Boyd against either Desmond King or Greg Mabin. Should be a great matchup either way.
SS - Seem solid up to this point but time will tell.

K - Has been money and he is 0-2 this year on fake FG's but he seems to be pretty fast if thats important for a kicker
P - Much much much improved from last year.

I think Iowa wants to run but not sure they can with Canzeri and Wadley a whole game in what should be a very physical matchup. I would expect lots of play action and TE's to be more involved this week. Gut feeling is they install a package for George Kittle and Jameer Outsey who seem to be pretty quick TE's. But my gut feeling last weekend was Jacob Hilyer would have a big game and he had 0 catches. So what the hell do I know.

Interesting you say that. When I saw the article on your RBs, I assumed that meant your O took a massive hit. I know an Iowa WR loves to have his breakout against Pitt, but that is concerning for us that your QB has a lot of promise. Who are the wide receivers to look for? Is there one main guy and role players or is it pretty spread out? Hard to weigh in on the defense against you guys since Narduzzi hasn't had a chance to get his guys in the system yet.

First two opponents were YSU (1-AA) and Akron. It really won't tell you much. YSU did score a decent amount, but that was supplemented by a Pick 6 and two 75+ yard TDs on some flat out missed plays by our guys who were in position to make a play. Other than those plays, they've played pretty great so far, albeit against not the best opponents. I think every game they play, the more comfortable they are going to get in this new D. I think it could be pretty good by midseason, and our front 7 looks significantly better than last year.

The offense has definitely looked different under the new OC. Also, our star Tyler Boyd missed the first game so that could partially contribute to it. It looks like we have a full blown QB battle as well which has made for some odd substitutions. Narduzzi has played a lot of guys in these first two games and I really think he is trying to figure out his roster in real situations. I think now that we have a real opponent, he is going to buckle down and not do so much random substitution and pick guys and let them roll. We also have quite a few of ORs on our two deep, it's weird. Also, some Pitt fans tend to think we have held back quite a bit on play calling these first two games to not give teams like yours real looks at what we will be throwing at them, so it really might mean the first two games aren't telling of what to expect.
On the WRs, good question. Unlike Pitt there's not an obvious #1. Vandeberg made an incredible catch on a seam route on 393rd and 21 from deep in our own territory. Tevaun Smith has the better ability to make plays after the catch but doesn't seem to be quite as sharp of a route runner and get open consistently. One guy key piece missing right now though is Jake Duzey, the typical Iowa tight end who can cause match up problems and is fast enough to break a play wide open with some daylight. His replacements aren't nearly as reliable or experienced and we've seen a lot less from that position than we ordinarily do. A lack of Iowa WRs with big numbers is typical and expected. The 25 passes that we've seen from CJB in the first two games is about what you're going to get if the running game is working and if Iowa is not trailing late. Obviously you guys have seen us play the last two years and we be been fortunate enough to be successful slinging the ball around in a comeback effort. There's not any other examples I can think of where That's been a winning formula for Iowa since 2009 (indiana).

Wow heat_dawg, that is almost identical to my synopsis. Nice work and much more concise.

Pepperman has written the book on this one (and a good one) so I'll just add that this game could see many more Iowa TE targets. I really like the Iowa TE vs. Pitt LB match-up and Beathard is the type of QB that can exploit it IMO. I think GD will install more QB roll-outs, maybe even a shotgun formation, this week,

I too think they may move Kittle around this week. Maybe outside . They also talked about moving T Smith around this year but haven't seen much of that. Interested to see how the other D would handle if they put TS in the slot instead of MVB

continued, it didn't all fit...

My Game Prediction:

On offense, and as always, Iowa’s going to want to establish the run. Pitt should have 8 men in the box early to help cut down on the effectiveness of this. I assume Narduzzi is not going to be surprised by anything Iowa does, so I’d expect an ugly first quarter while both teams feel each other out. If Iowa cannot run the ball, then we’re probably in big trouble because I just don’t trust our WRs to get open for Beathard to have his opportunity to show off his arm. On the flip side, if Iowa is able to run the ball and stay on-schedule with 2nd and 5, 3rd and 2 type of situations, I think Beathard will steal the show.

On defense, Iowa needs to stop the run. I hate to see Connor hurt because he would have been an EXCELLENT test for this defense to know “where they are” as of game three. Iowa has struggled a bit with teams that come straight at us, and that’s still what I’d expect Pitt to do. Our LBs should be tested a lot in this game, especially with the WR threat that Pitt brings – CBs and safeties cannot cheat much or at least if they do, we’d expect to get burned because of it. I have heard the backup RB is pretty good, so maybe you can tell me some more about this?

Overall, I think the Hawks can get to 24-27 points total. The spread and over/under would suggest I’m consensus with that pick (Hawks -5.5, 50.5), and Pitt should be in the 21-24 range. That all sounds about right. I’m not confident in this pick, but I have to take Iowa, especially since we are at home. I’ll go with 27-24, Iowa. I think it will be a great game, with back and forth scoring and it very well could be decided in the final minute.

Thanks @Pepperman and @heat_dawg, those were pretty great and answered a lot of questions.

As far as answering your question on our backup RB, you will probably be seeing a RB by committee, led by RS FR Qadree Ollison. He came in in the second half of our YSU game to go for 16 carries 207 yard, a Pitt freshman RB record. Pretty impressive for one half even if it was against a 1-AA opponent. He is a bruiser and will usually take more than one guy to bring down. He seemed to get hobbled a few times in our second game and didn't explode like he did the first, so we'll see how he responds to a P5 opponent.

Like I said, though, it will be a committee approach. Alongside Qadree should be True Sophomore Chris James (4*, Chicago IL). He has some game changing speed and is a little bit smaller than your traditional running back, but he can still run someone over. He played a decent amount spelling Conner last year so he has plenty of experience to be ready to go. I think he will be a good compliment to Ollison's bruising style. I think the distribution of carries to him will depend on his health, he was held out of our second game but the coaches are saying he will be 100% for this one and have hinted that he could have gone last week if needed. Finally out of the backfield is True Freshman Darrin Hall (4*, Youngstown Ohio) who has showed some promise early and will definitely get some burn. Some people think he will end up being pretty special because he has a very solid balance of speed and power. It is especially noted because even before Conner got hurt, he was in line for playing time and Coach Narduzzi brought him up in camp multiple times. The running back position has good balance with these guys and we won't be shying away from running after losing Conner. These guys can give Iowa a lot of different looks, but I expect Ollison to get more than the other two, but not by a landslide. Another quick note, OC Chaney seems to really like his RBs to catch, which the only player for Pitt who was a primary pass catching RB is also out for the year. But with this emphasis, they've seemed to all become pretty adequate at it. I don't know how it will work out against your D, but I would expect some swing passes and screens in this game.

doubtful you read the rest of our board but to update you
Leshun Daniels is not out. He will be re-evaluated on Thursday but could play.
Mitchel the guy I said was suspended has already been re-instated.

KF takes that stuff seriously so if he is already back with the team you can probably be safe betting that he was innocent of whatever had him suspended.

Firstly - great stuff by Pepperman and heat_dog! Good work and thanks for the thoughtfully delivered info!

A few extra comments:

QB - C.J. Beathard

Beathard has a big arm that can spread the field vertically. He throws a really nice long-ball. Furthermore, he can get A LOT of velocity on the ball - so he can throw the quick hitters ON TIME. That was a big area of weakness for Iowa last year. DBs had time to jump routes and beat blockers on the edge before the quick hitters could be successful. Thus, the big arm has the benefit of helping to (successfully) spread the field horizontally as well.

Beathard also moves very well as a QB. He's a mobile QB who keeps his eyes downfield. He brings enough to the table in terms of mobility, that a D has to account for it (or pay the consequences).

RB - Jordan Canzeri

As other posters indicated, Iowa's "bigger back" LeShun Daniels is nursing a dinged ankle. Thus, if he sees ANY action, it will probably be limited action at best. Thus, Canzeri is the guy who will likely be slated to see the lion's share of the reps at RB.

Canzeri is shifty and quick, although he's not really a burner. He has great balance and, for a small guy, he doesn't always go down on first contact. He's a legitimate threat in the passing game - both as a check-down target and in the screen game. I expect for Iowa to utilize the RB in the passing game against Pitt in order to keep the LBs honest.

TE - Unknown (maybe George Kittle or Henry Krieger-Coble)

Iowa loves itself some TEs. Pitt won't face Iowa's top TE, Jake Duzey. However, if Kittle is healthy, don't surprised if Iowa throws some 3 TE looks against Pitt. Right now, the three in question would be Kittle, Krieger-Coble, and Outsey. Kittle is most experienced in the passing game, while Krieger-Coble is more of a blocker (Outsey is a redshirt freshman) - however, Krieger-Coble has decent hands.

I mention the 3 TE look because Iowa has used it in the past, with success, against Narduzzi's Ds at MSU.

FB - Adam Cox

Iowa also loves itself some fullbacks! Adam Cox is coming back from missing last season due to injury. The guy is a really explosive blocker. He's a difference maker in Iowa's running game (as a blocker).

OL - Austin Blythe (C) and Jordan Walsh (RG)

Blythe is a high-end center. He really uses leverage well and he moves well for an O-lineman. Walsh is a high potential guard who finally seems to be playing to his potential. I was watching his play pretty closely against Iowa State and I was pretty pleased with what I've been seeing.

So far Iowa has given up 3 sacks through 2 games - and, if memory serves, 2 of those sacks were due to blown assignments. Given some of the "newness" on Iowa's OL, they really haven't gotten beaten much.

DL - Nate Meier, Jaleel Johnson, and Drew Ott (when healthy)

Meier is an undersized DE who provides relentless pursuit. He currently leads the team in tackles. He's a really quick, active, and violent player.

Johnson has really nice size and he complements it with surprising explosiveness. When he focusses and is really executing technique well - he can be unblockable.

If healthy, Ott can be a pretty dangerous player. He's a really smart player who can really set the edge. In prior years, he's been especially strong against the run. However, he's really improved his edge speed - and that's made him much more dangerous against the pass. Oddly enough, he's barely played many reps this year. Against Illinois State he had a bloody nose that was hard to stop - so he missed A LOT of snaps due to that. Then, against Iowa State, he played less than a quarter and then was lost due to a dislocated elbow.

Iowa's DL is a very active unit. They're expected to not only keep Iowa's LBs clean, they also are expected to make A LOT of plays. Iowa's DL regularly accounts for a surprisingly large number of tackles.

I'm very bullish on Iowa's DL. The future of Iowa's DL is in the hands of Nathan Bazata and Parker Hesse - and it's a very bright future!

LB - Ben Niemann

Niemann plays a critical role on the perimeter of Iowa's D. He's largely responsible for helping to set the edge. He also plays a significant role against the pass - often lined up on the opposing inside WR (or TE, depending on the O). He's been in the backfield quite a lot - and leads the teams in TFLs.

I'm personally also pleased with Iowa's "field general" MLB, Josey Jewell. His play has been pretty solid and that is even with Iowa playing against more spread-oriented teams - schemes that often exploit traditional MLBs. Against a pro-set O, featuring more downhill running - I expect for Jewell's productivity to shoot up.

S - Jordan Lomax

Lomax is the starting free-safety. He's a really smart and consistent performer in the secondary. He's a leader in the secondary and he does a really good job of getting guys in the right spot. He originally was a corner for the Hawks a few seasons ago - however, when you watch him come in on run support, you'd never guess it. His game is pretty solid, both against the run and the pass.

CB - Desmond King

King is sufficiently good at his job that opposing QBs tend not to throw his way. He's already gotten 1 INT and has been close to getting 2 others. Given how infrequently the ball comes his way - 3 potential take-aways is a rather disproportionate number. I expect opposing QBs to continue to avoid him.

doubtful you read the rest of our board but to update you
Leshun Daniels is not out. He will be re-evaluated on Thursday but could play.
Mitchel the guy I said was suspended has already been re-instated.

KF takes that stuff seriously so if he is already back with the team you can probably be safe betting that he was innocent of whatever had him suspended.

Or the issue was minor enough that the single-game suspension was enough and Derrick has taken care of whatever the problem was.

The Pitt/Akron game had to be a strange sort of game. Pitt had the ball for 37 minutes and only mustered 307 yds....and only 127 on the ground.
Unless we ply give away I see us with about 425-450 yds and a 10-14 point win. I AM assuming we are healthy at RB. I just have to believe if Akron only gives up 127 on the ground that we are not going to get rolled by their running game and I am gaining confidence on our d-line pressure and our DB performance all the time.

I guess I have officially sucked down my first kool-aide of the year......but I sure feel a hell of a lot better after the first two weeks than I thought I would.

The Pitt/Akron game had to be a strange sort of game. Pitt had the ball for 37 minutes and only mustered 307 yds....and only 127 on the ground.
Unless we ply give away I see us with about 425-450 yds and a 10-14 point win. I AM assuming we are healthy at RB. I just have to believe if Akron only gives up 127 on the ground that we are not going to get rolled by their running game and I am gaining confidence on our d-line pressure and our DB performance all the time.

As I understand it, the game was played under a deluge. That can make cutting harder - so that a running back might be more apt to slip. Furthermore, since the RB is young, he probably tries to bounce it out more often than he should. The rain could then have made that more difficult too.

Of course, typically, as I understand it - usually raining conditions favor the better offensive team.

As I understand it, the game was played under a deluge. That can make cutting harder - so that a running back might be more apt to slip. Furthermore, since the RB is young, he probably tries to bounce it out more often than he should. The rain could then have made that more difficult too.

Of course, typically, as I understand it - usually raining conditions favor the better offensive team.

I guess that makes some sense. Just hard to have that much clock control with only 300 total yds and 127 on the ground. Interesting. Thanks

Spudda 09 . Im curious to hear ur analysis on ur teams secondary ?

Sorry about this, I don't get notifications on the panther-lair site from this board. The secondary has shown flashes it can be really good but needs to make sure it doesn't give up the big play. I don't write for our site or anything so this is my fan based opinion.

Cornerback: Avonte Maddox - Small but lightning fast. He is not a guy that Narduzzi would typically recruit because Duzz likes the big and strong corners for press man but I think he has shined a little light to Narduzzi that a guy like him can work in his system. He's a true sophomore who played plenty last year and is our most consistent corner. I believe he is among the leaders in passes defended in the country so far and he can run with absolutely anyone. He has already had a KR TD this season.

Cornerback: Lafayette Pitts - This is the guy that I think will be a big x-factor in how you guys do. He's a redshirt senior and has played a ton of games for us. He had an excellent freshman season and has just been wildly inconsistent since and just can't come close to that season. IMO, he is the weak link in the chain and just doesn't play the ball the best. He's been doing better this season, but I think his style is still very prone to PI and tends to not turn his head from what I've seen. I personally think if CJ is going to shred, it will be against Lafayette. But like I said, he's very inconsistent, so he could come out and play like a mad man.

Safety: Terrish Webb - I list TWebb because he is listed at top of the two deep. Our regular starter is Reggie Mitchell but he is injured and Webb played a really solid game against Akron. Webb is a Junior himself and has played plenty of football with us, and was a starter for a while, so it's not like it's just anyone going in there. Mitchell was expected to be an impact player on the defense, but we don't lose a crazy amount of talent with Webb. Pretty solid all around safety.

Safety: Jordan Whitehead - I list True FR Whitehead and not Pat Amara (they are listed as OR on the two deep) because last week when they were OR'd Whitehead might not have stepped off the field for more than one play the entire game. Whitehead is basically a physical freak. When you look at him, he looks like a kid that has been in a college conditioning program for 3 years already. He was the prize recruit of our last class, top recruit in PA, #75 recruit in the country, and it absolutely shows why through two games. He surpassed people with more experience than him to get on the field and after splitting snaps in the opener, he just looks like the kid you have to play. He is all over the field and can really hit, but his speed is what will wow you so far. You will probably hear his name a decent amount, I expect a big play or two out of him Saturday.

Reactions: nu2u
if I remember correctly iowa lost to northern illinois and played a fairly poor bowl game against lsu that year

8-5, with the 5 losses coming against ranked teams after an 4-8 season..... It's what gave us false optimism last season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT