ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a knowledgeable ISU scouting report?

At least we got game experience against a 3 DL look. I don’t think ISU blitzes as much as ISU, so that’s a bonus. I’m optimistic about this game. Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: sober_teacher
Their board has lots of posters wanting to switch to a 4-2-5. If I remember right, Iowa switched to that mid season. I have no idea if they have the personnel or how much they’ve practiced it but it sounds like they are going to struggle to put 3 good LBs out there this year due to injuries.

2018 season at end of September, after loss vs. Wisconsin, when Iowa lost in final 65 seconds of game. Minnesota game in Week 6, fifth game.

Beat ISU 13-3 that season, last win in series. Iowa is better today.

Excellent post, complete with video evidence! My impression was that it was very hard to stop the run when you are outnumbered like this. So, in recent years, I take it that they've been able to do it simply via having really good players? Or have the offenses that they've face been so spread out that they aren't outnumbered?
They are diverse with it, so it’s hard to know what’s coming. They might bring two safeties down, and it’s an 8 man box.

Other than when they have a great D, teams can run the ball on them. They are not a team that shuts down the run, but they do a good job for often having a light box.

I don’t recall a team like North Dakota having that much success running on them? Lower level teams have had some success running of them, but my God, UND had the ball for nearly 40 minutes. That has to be alarming.

They are diverse with it, so it’s hard to know what’s coming. They might bring two safeties down, and it’s an 8 man box.

Other than when they have a great D, teams can run the ball on them. They are not a team that shuts down the run, but they do a good job for often having a light box.

I don’t recall a team like North Dakota having that much success running on them? Lower level teams have had some success running of them, but my God, UND had the ball for nearly 40 minutes. That has to be alarming.
And… how many points did they score? That has to impress you a bit, no?
The game will be played and it will probably follow a typical Iowa/ Ia. St. script…so watch did a 41-40 score! ;)

And… how many points did they score? That has to impress you a bit, no?
The game will be played and it will probably follow a typical Iowa/ Ia. St. script…so watch did a 41-40 score! ;)
I’m not suggesting their defense sucks, but if they have that much trouble slowing down the run, and they play a decent QB…oof.

To your point, it’s kind of what ISU does. Much like Iowa, they keep teams from scoring. UND blew a couple of opportunities, including missing a short FG.

If they are going to continue to have trouble getting off the field, and let the opposing team have the ball for 40 minutes a game, they have a serious problem.

I’m sure they’ll figure something out. Heacock is really good, but it does appear they are a little down on defense.

They also have a pretty explosive offense, so yeah know.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The biggest surprise is how ND was able to run at will. Their defense just didn't seem to have an answer, but then ND would stall out around the 30.
ISU has played defense like this since Heacock took over, “bend don’t break” and wait for the offense to make a mistake. Once the opponent crosses midfield you can see them really tighten up.

ISU's 3-3-5 has had an oddly successful track-record at slowing the run.

The caveat for them this year is that their LB group isn't as deep or strong as it's been in the past. So I'll be curious if their D will have the same luck against the run that they've traditionally had.

As others have said, I'm thankful that Illinois State featured an odd-front ... it's good practice for our OL and QB to see prior to the Iowa State game.

Reactions: kwik44
I’m not suggesting their defense sucks, but if they have that much trouble slowing down the run, and they play a decent QB…oof.

To your point, it’s kind of what ISU does. Much like Iowa, they keep teams from scoring. UND blew a couple of opportunities, including missing a short FG.

If they are going to continue to have trouble getting off the field, and let the opposing team have the ball for 40 minutes a game, they have a serious problem.

I’m sure they’ll figure something out. Heacock is really good, but it does appear they are a little down on defense.

They also have a pretty explosive offense, so yeah know.
You are making a huge assumption regarding the quality of Iowa’s qb position…they (ISU) are “down” depending on injuries…their defense has given Iowa fits over the past decade.
Not doom and gloom here, but I have moved to Missouri regarding Iowa’s offense… they are gonna have to SHOW ME every week. Just remember, last week, ISU never targeted their TE once… and they use their TE every bit as much, if not more than Iowa. (ISU did nothing offensively…. On purpose.)

Same as always...they might give Iowa a game for a few quarters, but the talent level of the two teams indicates a fairly large gap.

They won't be a match for the Hawks, but they'll probably be top 3 in the weak Big12.

You are making a huge assumption regarding the quality of Iowa’s qb position…they (ISU) are “down” depending on injuries…their defense has given Iowa fits over the past decade.
Not doom and gloom here, but I have moved to Missouri regarding Iowa’s offense… they are gonna have to SHOW ME every week. Just remember, last week, ISU never targeted their TE once… and they use their TE every bit as much, if not more than Iowa. (ISU did nothing offensively…. On purpose.)

Brahmer, Iowa State’s TE, is a little banged up.

Iowa State is now down 3 LB’ers they intended to start, and we are left with two not so good MLB’ers and the two outside guys are true freshman, one of which was hurt and didn’t play last week.

It’s not an excuse but man this LB unit is the most injured unit I’ve seen to ever start as season. AIRBHG might have shifted his hand of doom our LB’ers.

Iowa State is now down 3 LB’ers they intended to start, and we are left with two not so good MLB’ers and the two outside guys are true freshman, one of which was hurt and didn’t play last week.

It’s not an excuse but man this LB unit is the most injured unit I’ve seen to ever start as season. AIRBHG might have shifted his hand of doom our LB’ers.
All I am saying is that ISU never even TARGETED their TE last Sat. Vs. NoDak. ISU uses their TE a lot, every game. Im thinking they have a wrinkle or two ready for Iowa this Sat. With the TE being a focal point. That’s all I am saying. It’s strange (to me) that they never considered using their TE…when that position has been crucial to their offense for the past 5-6 seasons.
Teams get injured…..and the LB core might be a concern for them defensively….

All I am saying is that ISU never even TARGETED their TE last Sat. Vs. NoDak. ISU uses their TE a lot, every game. Im thinking they have a wrinkle or two ready for Iowa this Sat. With the TE being a focal point. That’s all I am saying. It’s strange (to me) that they never considered using their TE…when that position has been crucial to their offense for the past 5-6 seasons.
Teams get injured…..and the LB core might be a concern for them defensively….
I don’t doubt they’ll get a couple shots in against us, but I’ll take our LBs against their TE everyday. If their LBs are banged up as it sounds, I think ours have a possibility to feast.

Reactions: AEG82 and shudaddy
Everything I said was about Iowa State, and had nothing to do with Iowa. Did you reply to the wrong post?

Yes Iowa has more to prove on offense. Hopefully the issues ISU seemed to have on Saturday continue this Saturday, and hopefully Iowa can make your Missourian ass a believer?

lol - ISU won’t score more than 13 points vs Iowa.
And you think Iowa will score how many? “13” is kind of The Mendoza Line in these games.
Everything I said was about Iowa State, and had nothing to do with Iowa. Did you reply to the wrong post?

Yes Iowa has more to prove on offense. Hopefully the issues ISU seemed to have on Saturday continue this Saturday, and hopefully Iowa can make your Missourian ass a believer?
One game at a time……What Iowa’s offense has done to the team’s success the past 3 season is damn near criminal. Everytime #12 takes a snap, I shut my eyes…….

Iowa by 4 TDs.

Campbell should have left when he had the chance.
Well, I don't know about the 4 tds but I'd like that of course.

Regarding Campbell, yeah, absolutely. He's apparently gonna go down with the ship now.

I kind of agree.

Iowa’s always better than Iowa State on paper but it never matters.

They always play us to a close loss.

But this year after seeing both teams, Iowa just looks like way too much for Iowa State.

And this Iowa State team might be the best under Campbell.

Iowa’s DLine was just monster after monster rotating in.

Even as an Iowa fan I was getting annoyed with how good they looked as a unit.

Can’t imagine being an opponent’s fan playing against them.

Interesting you say that. I'd say our DLINE is the weakest part of our D. Not b/c it's bad, but just b/c of how strong the linebacker and secondary units are.

A similar thing happened to Iowa in 2010. All of our LBs got injured and we ended up starting a true freshman (James Morris, who ended up being good but wasn’t ready as a freshman). That year we had a number of losses where we were winning in the 4th but couldn’t hold the lead and I’m sure all of our injuries contributed.

It’s probably the biggest thing that separates schools like Iowa/ISU from schools like Ohio St and Michigan. The drop off when we have injuries is sometimes pretty severe. For Iowa this year we have to really hope for no injuries to our DTs. Our starters are great but if one of them goes down we have little depth there and the drop off will be significant…

A similar thing happened to Iowa in 2010. All of our LBs got injured and we ended up starting a true freshman (James Morris, who ended up being good but wasn’t ready as a freshman). That year we had a number of losses where we were winning in the 4th but couldn’t hold the lead and I’m sure all of our injuries contributed.

It’s probably the biggest thing that separates schools like Iowa/ISU from schools like Ohio St and Michigan. The drop off when we have injuries is sometimes pretty severe…
Exactly what I was thinking. We had very good LB starters led by Jeff Tarpinian. A guy who waited his turn and lasted a few seasons in the NFL. He went down early and our depth was not good and as you alluded to cost us some games late. By far maybe the most frustrating Iowa football season I can remember with such lofty expectations with who we had returning (lot of nfl talent) coming off the orange bowl win.

Unless there are significant injuries, this defense might be Iowa's best EVER!
What I’d like to see is what the defense could do if the offense actually controlled TOP so the defense could rest and stay fresh. Or if the other team got in obvious passing situations more often because our offense gave us a comfortable lead. I’ve been reading about how our defense last year was actually pretty bad in creating turnovers and I think part of the reason is probably the fact that we almost never made other teams feel forced to pass to catch up late in games.

So far we’ve managed to do all of that for one half of a game against an FCS school. It would be great if we could see more of that…

They have a dink and dunk offense. They run short routes and get the ball out of their QBs hand fast. Stop the run first and you are in business.

Their Defensive line didn’t get any pressure with just three rushers. The UND QB did a ton of damage with his feet. Gotta be able to run the ball.
That has certainly been true over the past few years, but I would be surprised if that is true this year, as the strength of their offense is the QB and 2 WR, which showed on the first 3 play drive for a TD. I believe at one point they were 13 of 13 to the two WRs. They have good speed so will do WR screens to get them the ball in space. Iowa can limit that if they are able to get quick QB pressure. Not sure what the Oline will be like as there were a couple of starters dinged up.

On D they have traditionally ran a 3 man front, but I wouldn't be surprised to primarily see a 4 man front against Iowa only because they have more quality bodies at DL than they do LB. Likely will have to bring safety down if getting gashed on the run. I would suspect some man coverage on the edge so will be interesting to see if Iowa improved passing game has success on the sidelines.

Actually they did twice that I remember. One went off Brahmer's hands on an out pattern before he got dinged and left the game.

It’s probably the biggest thing that separates schools like Iowa/ISU from schools like Ohio St and Michigan. The drop off when we have injuries is sometimes pretty severe. For Iowa this year we have to really hope for no injuries to our DTs. Our starters are great but if one of them goes down we have little depth there and the drop off will be significant…

Iowa State is down to like 3rd string guys at LB, very few teams can deal with that well.

Interesting you say that. I'd say our DLINE is the weakest part of our D. Not b/c it's bad, but just b/c of how strong the linebacker and secondary units are.
I agree about the weakness of our DL. Our top 5 guys are like really productive. However, the depth really needs to develop. Don't get me wrong ... I don't think that our depth is bad or anything like that. There's just quite a drop-off going from our top 5 down to the next group of guys. Guys need to get reps and they need to hold themselves accountable to play with solid, consistent technique.

I'm thinking that Pittman and Llewellyn will make strides this year ... I think that will at least ensure that we have a solid 7. Hopefully more guys step up too.

Iowa State is down to like 3rd string guys at LB, very few teams can deal with that well.
Kudos to your coaching staff and the players for still executing effective bend-but-not-break defense. When the Hawks get that banged up at LB ... it can be tough to watch. It makes a lot more sense why your guys had trouble getting off the field.

My concerns about the game is that ISU demonstrated that they can score pretty well if the O can actually possess the ball. I like Iowa's D ... and I don't think that they're going to allow for ISU's O to have a picnic ... but it definitely could be an interesting match-up.

From Iowa State you are guaranteed to see those short out passes to each sideline. They will try to do the 5 yard throws to the sidelines all the way down the field.

ISU strengths seem to be the QB/WRs and their defensive secondary. Iowa's strengths is overall D and likely better special teams. Our offense needs to show continued consistency and balance between running and passing. If Iowa's front 6/7 can control the ISU running game then they have a good chance of making them one dimensional and allowing our DL to tee off if we can get them into 3rd and long situations.

One thing I've learned from this rivalry over the years is you can just throw out the overall team talent comparisons, the better team will have to play well to win and limit mistakes. About the only thing predictable is that the score will be much closer than expected nearly every single season.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
We should be alright Saturday.

HOWEVER, in the NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, we MUST beat the loathsome reptiles/vermin of STATE!!!!!!!!!!

There are many STATE types around here, and it would be intolerable living with a year of scorn/opprobrium from them!

I think a key will be our DBacks. ISU is going to pass. If our DBs can play smart and prevent the big play we'll win.

...but young this year. Still, I think they'll be fine.
We have 3, 6 year players and a 4th multi year starter and I’ll grant you a first year starter who’s also a RS sophomore at the other corner. I don’t think they’re described as young unless you’re comparing them to the posters on this board.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc
We have 3, 6 year starters and a 4th multi year starter and I’ll grant you a first year starter who’s also a RS sophomore at the other corner. I don’t think they’re described as young unless you’re comparing them to the posters on this board.
I'm going with what Phil said about his D earlier. He felt the DBs were the least tested. We're deep and good, we'll be fine. If anybody can put a good DB unit out there...it's Phil. The point was, ISU will most certainly challenge them.

What are 3, 6 year starters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT