ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a knowledgeable ISU scouting report?

I think if ISU tries to dink and dunk, it is just a matter of time before the Hawks start jumping routes. ISU's strength is the passing game and we have one of the best secondaries in the country, so as I said before, I just don't think they are going to be able to move the ball on us much. I would think there might be a couple plays where we get caught out of position, so if we can eliminate any chunk plays, it is going to be tough sledding for ISU. 86 yrds rushing against North Dakota and 267 passing. 22 min time of possession. Granted you know they were saving up for the game this week, but still they struggled pretty bad against North Dakots.
350 yards with only 22 min top sounds like they have a explosive O to go with a D that finds it difficult to get off the field. so our game might pit strength against strength (their O vs our D) and weakness on weakness (our O vs their D). that said one game isn’t much to go by.

350 yards with only 22 min top sounds like they have a explosive O to go with a D that finds it difficult to get off the field. so our game might pit strength against strength (their O vs our D) and weakness on weakness (our O vs their D). that said one game isn’t much to go by.
There is also the reflection that it was D1 FCS quality defense too. Last year, against an 0-7 Indiana State team, North Dakota gave up around 390 yards. Against Illinois State, last year, they gave up a little over 460 yards.

Now, that's no slight on Iowa State ... you have to play who's on your schedule. The Iowa State offense was able to flex their passing game against North Dakota ... and hit some big plays. However, they also had 4 punts on 7 possessions. Their O finally got some real traction, putting together a 12 play, 96 yard TD drive late in the 3rd quarter.

Reactions: desihawk
To go along with your post ... Kirk often has the philosophy of playing "keep away" against teams that have more explosive offenses. We tend to do that against most teams anyhow ... but we especially try to reduce the number of possessions and try to keep the ball away from them. I remember that we seemed to really try to do that against Indiana when they had the passing game that always seemed to carve us up.

Reactions: desihawk
It’s funny to me that the drumbeat every year (including this one) among Cyclone fans is that the Iowa defensive backs aren’t athletic enough to defend the amazing Iowa State wide receivers. Meanwhile, the Cyclones have 2 WRs in the NFL while the Hawkeyes will have 8 defensive backs in the league once Desmond King decides where he wants to sign.

It’s funny to me that the drumbeat every year (including this one) among Cyclone fans is that the Iowa defensive backs aren’t athletic enough to defend the amazing Iowa State wide receivers. Meanwhile, the Cyclones have 2 WRs in the NFL while the Hawkeyes will have 8 defensive backs in the league once Desmond King decides where he wants to sign.
Not only that, but don’t we have to go back to 2017 for the last time ISU scored 30+ on us? You’d think they’d have more success scoring if the discrepancy was that bad.

Not only that, but don’t we have to go back to 2017 for the last time ISU scored 30+ on us? You’d think they’d have more success scoring if the discrepancy was that bad.
I used to go to the Iowa State fan site to try to get a read on their team, but quickly realized that every player on their roster who’s a halfway decent college player is a future NFL All-Pro in their eyes.

Hakeem Butler was going to revolutionize the WR position in the NFL and the only question about Mike Rose was what his NFL Hall of Fame bust was going to look like.

The talent on their roster was so bad for so long that their frame of reference is completely out of whack. Conversely, no Iowa fans were salivating about how talented guys like Logan Lee and Joe Evans were and yet now both are cashing NFL paychecks. Just a completely different perspective between the respective fanbases.

I used to go to the Iowa State fan site to try to get a read on their team, but quickly realized that every player on their roster who’s a halfway decent college player is a future NFL All-Pro in their eyes.

Hakeem Butler was going to revolutionize the WR position in the NFL and the only question about Mike Rose was what his NFL Hall of Fame bust was going to look like.

The talent on their roster was so bad for so long that their frame of reference is completely out of whack. Conversely, no Iowa fans were salivating about how talented guys like Logan Lee and Joe Evans were and yet now both are cashing NFL paychecks. Just a completely different perspective between the respective fanbases.
Yep. Those disappointing pros David Montgomery, Breece Hall and Brock Purdy. Those guys stink.

And never forget Iowa got Brock Purdy benched at his own house!

To be fair, I thought butler would have a chance in the nfl as well.

Reactions: chaneccooms
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT