ADVERTISEMENT

rank em

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
KBM4I4CZUZHTVJATUCJZE4264Y.jpg

Dancers say some ‘bothered’ by American flag-themed shirts thwarted planned performance​

SEATTLE (KING) - A Washington state line dancing group says they were asked to change out of their American flag-themed shirts because some people “felt unsafe and bothered” by them at an event where they were scheduled to perform.

Borderline Dance Team has come to be known for their patriotic costumes since they first started performing line dancing as volunteers seven years ago. But before last weekend’s scheduled performance at Emerald City Hoedown, an LGBTQ-friendly event in Seattle, the dancers say event organizers told them their costumes offended some people.

“He told me that there was some individuals within the community that felt unsafe and bothered – triggered, if you will – by our flag shirts,” dancer Dannika Cody said. “What we were told was it had to do with what was going on in Palestine and the LGBTQ community in America.”

The dancers’ American flag-themed shirts, which have vibrant stars and stripes, contain no words or other symbols.

Lindsay Stamp, one of the team’s lead choreographers and dancers, says they were told a small group had decided to boycott or protest their performance. The dancers say the event organizers then gave them an ultimatum: change shirts or don’t perform. They unanimously refused to change.

The team says they don’t believe any member made a controversial comment before the scheduled performance that may have sparked contention, and they say they don’t have any political affiliations.

“We didn’t hesitate to accept and perform for a community who really does value inclusivity. That was not also extended to us,” dancer Sharie Peterson said.

Ziadee Cambier, the president of the Rain Country Dance Association, said in a Facebook comment the team was not asked to leave the hoedown and that they are hoping to clear up any misunderstandings.

Event organizers said in a statement: “We are in communication with those directly involved.”

Stamp confirms the organizers have reached out.

“They do extend their apologies,” she said, “and we’re in communication, trying to figure out how we want to move forward with this.”

Since the incident, Cambier says the association has received an extreme amount of online harassment and even a violent threat that she says the Seattle Police Department called “credible.” For that reason, they are focusing on protecting their members’ safety.

“Violence and harassment is not something that we condone towards any person or any group for any reason,” Stamp said.

In the end, the dancers say they are disappointed that a small group of people was allowed to overshadow a performance they had worked so hard for.

KBM4I4CZUZHTVJATUCJZE4264Y.jpg

Dancers say some ‘bothered’ by American flag-themed shirts thwarted planned performance​

SEATTLE (KING) - A Washington state line dancing group says they were asked to change out of their American flag-themed shirts because some people “felt unsafe and bothered” by them at an event where they were scheduled to perform.

Borderline Dance Team has come to be known for their patriotic costumes since they first started performing line dancing as volunteers seven years ago. But before last weekend’s scheduled performance at Emerald City Hoedown, an LGBTQ-friendly event in Seattle, the dancers say event organizers told them their costumes offended some people.

“He told me that there was some individuals within the community that felt unsafe and bothered – triggered, if you will – by our flag shirts,” dancer Dannika Cody said. “What we were told was it had to do with what was going on in Palestine and the LGBTQ community in America.”

The dancers’ American flag-themed shirts, which have vibrant stars and stripes, contain no words or other symbols.

Lindsay Stamp, one of the team’s lead choreographers and dancers, says they were told a small group had decided to boycott or protest their performance. The dancers say the event organizers then gave them an ultimatum: change shirts or don’t perform. They unanimously refused to change.

The team says they don’t believe any member made a controversial comment before the scheduled performance that may have sparked contention, and they say they don’t have any political affiliations.

“We didn’t hesitate to accept and perform for a community who really does value inclusivity. That was not also extended to us,” dancer Sharie Peterson said.

Ziadee Cambier, the president of the Rain Country Dance Association, said in a Facebook comment the team was not asked to leave the hoedown and that they are hoping to clear up any misunderstandings.

Event organizers said in a statement: “We are in communication with those directly involved.”

Stamp confirms the organizers have reached out.

“They do extend their apologies,” she said, “and we’re in communication, trying to figure out how we want to move forward with this.”

Since the incident, Cambier says the association has received an extreme amount of online harassment and even a violent threat that she says the Seattle Police Department called “credible.” For that reason, they are focusing on protecting their members’ safety.

“Violence and harassment is not something that we condone towards any person or any group for any reason,” Stamp said.

In the end, the dancers say they are disappointed that a small group of people was allowed to overshadow a performance they had worked so hard for.
Assuming those are not high schoolers, this would be a wouldja, not a rank 'em.

Reactions: ping72
Back 5, front 4, f5, b3, f3, f6, b1, f2, B4, b6, f1, b9, b7, b10, b8, b2

M1. M2ers molest collies. This type of list is exactly my M1 is superior.

Back 5, front 4, f5, b3, f3, f6, b1, f2, B4, b6, f1, b9, b7, b10, b8, b2

M1. M2ers molest collies. This type of list is exactly my M1 is superior.
I don't see any ranking there, but I applaud your efforts at a draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT