ADVERTISEMENT

Rare Blizzard Takes Aim at Southern California

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A slow-moving winter storm will intensify over California on Friday, forecasters said, a day after it walloped large swaths of the West with snow and a wintry mix that disrupted travel along a number of major arteries.
Multiple rounds of heavy snow combined with strong winds will create blizzard conditions over high terrain and mountain passes, including in the Sierra Nevada and the Transverse Range in Southern California, the National Weather Service said early Friday.
While the winter weather began in some areas on Thursday, the greatest chances for rain, heavy snow and strong winds in the southern part of the state will be on Friday. Several inches of rain may fall along the coasts and valleys, and the heaviest snow, up to seven feet, may fall in elevations 4,500 feet above sea level. Areas between 2,500 and 4,500 feet are expected to receive up to a foot of snow. Wind gusts of 60 to 75 miles per hour will also play a factor throughout the day.

I was driving in San Diego Wednesday morning and it was snowing. A coworker lives east of LA and had a couple inches on the ground.

I had a meeting on Thursday in Las Vegas. One of my coworkers was there from Reno and said his buddy somewhere around Tahoe was snowed in. They were having to deliver supplies to him.

Reactions: BelemNole
I was driving in San Diego Wednesday morning and it was snowing. A coworker lives east of LA and had a couple inches on the ground.

I had a meeting on Thursday in Las Vegas. One of my coworkers was there from Reno and said his buddy somewhere around Tahoe was snowed in. They were having to deliver supplies to him.
And on the r/Tahoe subreddit morons keep asking if it will be ok to drive up today. Into a blizzard warning.

Headed to San Diego Friday with the family for spring break. Specifically in Escondido. Hoping for better weather than they’ve had the last few weeks.

Reactions: billanole
Can’t fix stoopid. To quote Ole Muddy Waters, “It is in them and it has to come out.”
Dang, glazed over snow pack is no way to travel.
Biggest snow accumulation in years, right?

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT