ADVERTISEMENT

rare MLB feats

Not necessarily feet, but Antonio Alfonseca had (and still has) 6 fingers on one hand

antonio_alfonseca.jpg

"You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Tonight Royals vs. Red Sox, KC had a run taken away from them as a hit was ruled a ground rule double when the ball hit “balls and strike” indicator on the “Green Monster” and stayed in the broken bulb, causing the left fielder to lose the ball...The lead runner was put back on third base, the hitter to second and the next batter made the 3rd out of the inning. The Royals lost the game, 4-3.

Tonight Royals vs. Red Sox, KC had a run taken away from them as a hit was ruled a ground rule double when the ball hit “balls and strike” indicator on the “Green Monster” and stayed in the broken bulb, causing the left fielder to lose the ball...The lead runner was put back on third base, the hitter to second and the next batter made the 3rd out of the inning. The Royals lost the game, 4-3.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
pretty cool, I did see a walk off gland slam once but maybe it's not as rare of feat as I thought

Pinch hit version with 2 strikes has only happened 3 times....so still something to look forward to.

Andre Dawson hit 2HRs in same game. One to tie in 9th. One to win in extras.

I saw Bryant do that against the Dodgers....though he tied in the 8th and put them ahead in the 10th. It was in LA so not a walk off.

Was my first game I had ever seen in person....as big of a baseball fan as I am...never lived anywhere with a team and was to poor to travel to a game most of my life.

I was also at NLCS in LA that year....2016....good year to catch my first three NLCS games :)

Notable games I attended with a rare occurrence:

-Nelson Cruz hitting three home runs over the White Sox

-Byron Buxton walk off grand slam, while down three in the bottom of the ninth.

-Saw Hideo Nomo have an Ohtani moment, two hitting the Cubs while driving in the go-ahead run in victory.

My Dad has two of the coolest:

-Attended the longest game in MLB history when the White Sox and Brewers went 25 innings over two days in 1984, taking score during the game (still has his score card and program). Harold Baines won it with a walk off homer.

-The AJ Pierzinsky strike three ball-in-the-dirt game in the Sox vs Angels ALCS series in 2005. Only time in post-season history the winning run technically struck out.

HOUSTON -- Julio Rodríguez set a major league record with his 17th hit in four games, helping to lead the Seattle Mariners past the Houston Astros 10-3 for their fifth straight win Saturday night.

Rodriguez, with a single to left field in the seventh inning, broke a major league record set in 1925 by Milt Stock of the Brooklyn Robins. He finished 4-for-6, giving him his fourth consecutive four-plus-hit game.

"Honestly, I knew when they put it on the scoreboard that I had set a record for a four-game span," Rodriguez said. "Before that, I didn't.

"Julio is just smoking hot right now and it is fun to watch," Mariners manager Scott Servais said. "Every time up there he expects to get a hit, we expect to watch him get a hit. ... Tonight obviously our offense was on it. We've seen Framber Valdez a lot, had really good at-bats tonight early on putting pressure on him."

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Back to back walk off wins for the Cardinals by the same hitter, Tommy Edman, vs. the same pitcher, the hated Josh Hader, the 14 million dollar hired gun. The Cards having a bad year but the Padres, holy cow, a 252 million dollar payroll and 10 games under .500...
They're 0-11 in extras and 6-22 in one run games with a +54 run differential.. brutal

And the swing for the homer mentality even with 2 strikes. I was super surprised in the Cards/Padres game the other night when after a lead off single, Soto ( with the 400 million dollar contract ) laid down a sacrifice bunt. What? Playing for a run in the first inning ( it did work ) with a guy you broke the bank for? Cards walked it off in the 9th the second day in a row...

And the swing for the homer mentality even with 2 strikes. I was super surprised in the Cards/Padres game the other night when after a lead off single, Soto ( with the 400 million dollar contract ) laid down a sacrifice bunt. What? Playing for a run in the first inning ( it did work ) with a guy you broke the bank for? Cards walked it off in the 9th the second day in a row...
Yeah I’ve seen Soto do that with nobody on, thought it was weird. He must have some Rizzo in him where he likes to bunt down the 3rd base line & take what’s given to him.

The other near-miss feat was that BoSox CF Carl Everett (a native of Tampa), in his first four AB hit a homer, a triple, a double, and a SacFly. In his last at bat, in the 8th inning, he only needed a single to hit for the cycle. He blew it by hitting another homer.
I watched - on tv - Gunnar Henderson say no thanks to the cycle. Came to bat with a HR, triple, and double already in the books. Hit a rope down the first base line and didn't hold up at first. The reaction of the Orioles in the dugout is priceless.

Still confused as to why a .183 hitter with that power leads off…
I believe the thinking is it gives him a potential extra AB where he just might run into another HR swing.

I agree that it is against traditional OBP thinking and base running skills if he gets on base, but with all of the Sabre Metrics which seem to have taken over the game today, it does seem logical. :eek:

I read a few articles this week on who might be the leading Cy Young candidates this season, and it seems that anyone with the most Wins should not be considered given other pitching Sabre Metric measures such as FIP, BABIP, HR/FB, K/9. BB/9. etc...explaining how each of those are superior to just a PLAIN OLD W! They may as well drop Cy Young's name from the Best-Pitcher-Award, because Wins don't seem to count for $hit anymore. May as well give the pennant to the team with the best Sabre metrics as well, I guess? jfc

We seem to have entered into a Bizarro world of reality in baseball anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT