ADVERTISEMENT

rare MLB feats

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
pretty cool, I did see a walk off gland slam once but maybe it's not as rare of feat as I thought

HsJg8Tg.jpg

Likelihood makes it sound like these are random occurrences. The Rays have been been beaten in 30% of the perfect games since they came into the League.

I saw the Buehrle one in 2009. He was coming off of a no-hitter in 2007 and that Rays team was beat up. When he had his command he was the second coming of Greg Maddux.

I’d be really curious to see how many wins have been awarded on three pitches or less.

There’s also fewest pitches for a complete game. German Marquez did 62, which was really rare.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
Back in 2000, I went to a Red Sox-Rays game that was one of the most entertaining games ever, and came very close to having a couple of those rare feats. The bottom of the first started out with a massive, bench-clearing brawl - set off when Pedro Martinez hit the lead-off batter on the wrist with an inside fastball on an 0-2 count. The batter, Gerald Williams, charged the mound, the benches cleared, and tons of fists were thrown. Somewhere in the scrap, the Sox Brian Daubach threw a punch or two that the Rays felt was a dirty sucker-punch. In response, every time he came to the plate the rest of the night, he got thrown at. The beanballs got several Rays pitchers, along with almost their whole coaching staff, tossed, and resulted in the benches emptying a couple of more times (though no more punches were thrown). After the 3rd time, the Sox pulled him from the game.

After hitting the leadoff batter, Pedro sat down the next 24 batters in order, carrying a NoNo into the 9th. The leadoff hitter in the 9th hit a bloop single to right center, then Pedro sat down the next three to end the game.

The other near-miss feat was that BoSox CF Carl Everett (a native of Tampa), in his first four AB hit a homer, a triple, a double, and a SacFly. In his last at bat, in the 8th inning, he only needed a single to hit for the cycle. He blew it by hitting another homer.

Back in 2000, I went to a Red Sox-Rays game that was one of the most entertaining games ever, and came very close to having a couple of those rare feats. The bottom of the first started out with a massive, bench-clearing brawl - set off when Pedro Martinez hit the lead-off batter on the wrist with an inside fastball on an 0-2 count. The batter, Gerald Williams, charged the mound, the benches cleared, and tons of fists were thrown. Somewhere in the scrap, the Sox Brian Daubach threw a punch or two that the Rays felt was a dirty sucker-punch. In response, every time he came to the plate the rest of the night, he got thrown at. The beanballs got several Rays pitchers, along with almost their whole coaching staff, tossed, and resulted in the benches emptying a couple of more times (though no more punches were thrown). After the 3rd time, the Sox pulled him from the game.

After hitting the leadoff batter, Pedro sat down the next 24 batters in order, carrying a NoNo into the 9th. The leadoff hitter in the 9th hit a bloop single to right center, then Pedro sat down the next three to end the game.

The other near-miss feat was that BoSox CF Carl Everett (a native of Tampa), in his first four AB hit a homer, a triple, a double, and a SacFly. In his last at bat, in the 8th inning, he only needed a single to hit for the cycle. He blew it by hitting another homer.
I saw Everett hit a homer in KC back in the day……and that ball still might be traveling! Holy shit….he tagged it!

Well, what have you witnessed in person?

I'm at
1 perfect game
3 additional no hitters
3 HR

I saw 9 RBI in a game this year, so just missed that one
1 perfect game
1 additional no-hitter
3 3HR games

The Gooden no-hitter and Griffey + Ripken 3HR games all happened within two weeks for the Mariners.

The Buehrle perfect game and Konerko hitting 3HR were a few weeks apart as well. I could have sworn Jermaine Dye had a 3HR game, but I guess I’m just old and wishful.

I’ve been steadily going to Rockies games for years. I’ve seen them win a series where they lost a game by like 25 runs. Nothing on the list, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: QChawks
Saw Paul Molitor hit for the cycle 5-15-1991 at Metrodome.

Also, saw Seattle win 1-0 in Metrodome 6-19-92. Leadoff hitter of game Greg Briley) hits HR for only run of the game.

Saw Yankee-Cub game that went 18 innings 5-7-2017

Saw bench clearing brawl 6-27-1979 Phillies at Cubs
- Mike Krukow hits HR and then gets beaned. Charges mound.

Story from Cincinnati Enquirer

"When I was in Chicago ... they moved a start of mine back a day. (My wife) had a C-section, and I was there. So the next day, she's in the hospital, and I go off to pitch. And we're playing the Phillies - who are a very, very good team - this is 1979. And we'd lost like 13 games in a row to the Phillies. They just - killin' us. And so I'm pitching and on that particular day, it was all in our favor. The wind was blowing out. We scored like 13 runs - I hit my first big-league home run. And we're beating them like 13-2, right? So, the Phillies bring in this pitcher named Kevin Saucier and - for whatever reason - we've lost 13 in a row! Now we're up by 11 runs and he decides he's gonna take somebody down. So he hits Steve Ontiveros, our third baseman - who was a really good friend. So the inning ends and I tell our catcher, 'First 0-2 count, we'll take whoever it is.' Meaning whoever's coming up - if they get an 0-2 count - you know, they're gonna get drilled. It happened to be Garry Maddox. ... I get him in the ribs. He takes first base. So I'm leading off the next inning. So I come up - Kevin Saucier's still there. First pitch - boom - he hits me in the shoulder. I get up ... to first base. It's all done, right? I get to first base at Wrigley Field and Kevin Saucier walks halfway from the mound to first base and he spits at me. Well Pete Rose is the first baseman for the Phillies. He goes, 'You can't let him do that. Go kick his ass!' So I go, 'Yeah!' So I go out there and here we go. And I get like one punch in - boom. And I forgot - I was at first base in Wrigley Field with the Philles on the field. Their dugout's on the first-base side. So I throw a punch and all of a sudden, the next thing I know, my face is like this against the ground and I'm getting stomped on. Anyway, it was a big donnybrook. And (my wife's) at the hospital the whole time going, 'They're gonna kill my husband!' It was a good one."

Last edited:
Reactions: QChawks
I saw Everett hit a homer in KC back in the day……and that ball still might be traveling! Holy shit….he tagged it!
When the Reds built Great American Ballpark in the early 2000s it was nicknamed The Wedge because they had to cut out part of the left field bleachers of old Riverfront Stadium (Cinergy Field) to build it. I went to a Reds/Cubs game during the construction process and Sammy Sosa hit a home run that landed in what is now the infield of the current stadium.

When the Reds built Great American Ballpark in the early 2000s it was nicknamed The Wedge because they had to cut out part of the left field bleachers of old Riverfront Stadium (Cinergy Field) to build it. I went to a Reds/Cubs game during the construction process and Sammy Sosa hit a home run that landed in what is now the infield of the current stadium.
It will always be Riverfront!

Reactions: TJ8869
I remember Fernando Tatis' 2 slams in one inning pretty well...let me see if I remember the particulars.

Believe it was a Friday night, spring time as I recall. I was driving my 1995 Nissan XE pickup (the first new vehicle I ever bought...picture of it right above me on my wall here) from Fond du Lac WI coming down to Guttenberg...fishing trip, and storms were sort of all around except actually hitting me on the drive. As I hit SW Wisconsin, I was beginning to get into KMOX 1120AM radio signal territory and I first got the signal in the inning he hit the slams.

Because of lightning in the general vicinity, radio static was bad and in that general area KMOX's signal even in the best of conditions will fade in and out. I remember being on US 18 somewhere east of FDL when the inning started and the first slam was the first consistent signal I got. Then signal began getting sketchy again to where it faded out. By the time I got onto the main drag through PDC (probably somewhere near a half hour later), I faintly heard that amazingly Chan Ho Park was still pitching and Tatis was on deck. The announcers were speculating whether he was going to bat again with the bases jammed, and they were pretty sure it had never been done before.

The signal again faded out, the line of storms was closing in (could see the lightning to the west) - could barely make out anything. I was starving, so I pulled into a drive thru - and while I was placing my order the signal came back in for a brief moment just as Tatis hit the 2nd slam.

It was one of those weird sports moments a fan never forgets. "Where were you when..." type of thing. I really didn't get to listen to a lot of that game given my location and the conditions...but I did hear the radio call of both slams.

As a Cubs fan, I've been on the wrong end of two 3 HR games. Got to see Albert Pujols hit 3 in a regular season game in 2010. But the worst of all was Kike Hernandez of the Dodgers in 2017 NLCS Game 5. That was an absolutely brutal loss to attend. I got tickets in the lottery weeks before the game and was up super late watching the Cubs eek out game 4 the previous night to avoid the sweep. So on little sleep I made the trip up to Wrigley that day just to watch the Dodgers effectively end the game in the 3rd inning and celebrate making the WS on our field.

My parents had spring training tickets to the Cardinals. McGwire used to hit home runs over the office buildings. I get that steroids are bad, but holy hell was that fun to watch.

Reactions: DirtyJohns97

I'm at
1 perfect game
3 additional no hitters
3 HR

As a Cardinals fan I watched Daniel Descalso break up Yovani Gallardo’s no hit bid with 2 outs in the 9th, losing 1-0 on my first bachelor party. If that wasn’t an omen I don’t know what was.

I also watched Big Macs 500th and 501st HRs happen on the same night.

I remember Fernando Tatis' 2 slams in one inning pretty well...let me see if I remember the particulars.

Believe it was a Friday night, spring time as I recall. I was driving my 1995 Nissan XE pickup (the first new vehicle I ever bought...picture of it right above me on my wall here) from Fond du Lac WI coming down to Guttenberg...fishing trip, and storms were sort of all around except actually hitting me on the drive. As I hit SW Wisconsin, I was beginning to get into KMOX 1120AM radio signal territory and I first got the signal in the inning he hit the slams.

Because of lightning in the general vicinity, radio static was bad and in that general area KMOX's signal even in the best of conditions will fade in and out. I remember being on US 18 somewhere east of FDL when the inning started and the first slam was the first consistent signal I got. Then signal began getting sketchy again to where it faded out. By the time I got onto the main drag through PDC (probably somewhere near a half hour later), I faintly heard that amazingly Chan Ho Park was still pitching and Tatis was on deck. The announcers were speculating whether he was going to bat again with the bases jammed, and they were pretty sure it had never been done before.

The signal again faded out, the line of storms was closing in (could see the lightning to the west) - could barely make out anything. I was starving, so I pulled into a drive thru - and while I was placing my order the signal came back in for a brief moment just as Tatis hit the 2nd slam.

It was one of those weird sports moments a fan never forgets. "Where were you when..." type of thing. I really didn't get to listen to a lot of that game given my location and the conditions...but I did hear the radio call of both slams.
Yessir, it was a Friday. Spring, 1999, Senior year of HS and at our weekly Friday night Texas Hold em preparty. Watching on TV and we all were going nuts, growing up in Cardinals baseball market.

My parents had spring training tickets to the Cardinals. McGwire used to hit home runs over the office buildings. I get that steroids are bad, but holy hell was that fun to watch.
In 1988, I was at Dodgers@Cubs in the deep left field seats. Mike Marshall hit one out of the park, hit the building across the street and a guy tried to catch it off the carem and it drilled him in the face. He scrambled to get back up and get the ball but someone else snatched it. It was so great.

I'm at
1 perfect game
3 additional no hitters
3 HR

Jeff Blauser hit 3 HRs.
Andre Dawson hit 2HRs in same game. One to tie in 9th. One to win in extras.
Todd Ziele made 2 errors on the same play.
Richie Sexton hit 2 HRs which won me my game money back playing Pass the Cup.

I almost got to witness a no-hitter. A missed strike 3 call and a broken bat infield single away.

Best I have is attending a Royals- ChiSox game in KC, handing the keys to the no pic wife and telling her I was drinking a beer an inning and she was driving back. Final score was 2-1 with no walks, very few K's, not may hits in a game that lasted 1:47. I could only drink 3 beers.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkRugged17
I'm guessing the "2 hits in one inning" is talking about the same batter?

The 23rd anniversary of the rarest of them all was last week - the Twins turning TWO 5-4-3 triple plays in one game against the BoSox. It was the only time it has happened in MLB history.

The second triple play was hit into by FSU's Jody Reed. I yalked to him about it a while back, he said he absolutely smoked the ball in that at-bat. They had a hit & run on, so the Twins 3B was moving toward the bag; if not, it probably would have been a double down the line.

Despite the two triple plays, Boston won the game 1-0. Interestingly, the next night Boston hit into an AL record 6 double plays, and turned 4 double plays themselves - an MLB record for combined double plays in a game.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
pretty cool, I did see a walk off gland slam once but maybe it's not as rare of feat as I thought

HsJg8Tg.jpg
Divide each of those by 2430 to get a feel for how often they happen. (2430 games per year in a regular season)

3 hits in one inning: Once every 32.3 years
2 GS in one inning: Once every 97 years

The 23rd anniversary of the rarest of them all was last week - the Twins turning TWO 5-4-3 triple plays in one game against the BoSox. It was the only time it has happened in MLB history.

The second triple play was hit into by FSU's Jody Reed. I yalked to him about it a while back, he said he absolutely smoked the ball in that at-bat. They had a hit & run on, so the Twins 3B was moving toward the bag; if not, it probably would have been a double down the line.

Despite the two triple plays, Boston won the game 1-0. Interestingly, the next night Boston hit into an AL record 6 double plays, and turned 4 double plays themselves - an MLB record for combined double plays in a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT