ADVERTISEMENT

rare MLB feats

The Cubs stole an out with a bizarre play against the Marlins​

https://www.marqueesportsnetwork.com/the-cubs-stole-an-out-with-a-bizarre-play-against-the-marlins/

There is video of this somewhere, but basically what happened is the Marlins had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs in the bottom of the 8th when the Cubs decided to intentionally walk the next batter. On his way to first base, the Marlins opted to pinch run for him and the batter never touched 1B. After the PR positioned himself on 1B, the Cubs appealed that the batter never touched 1B to complete his at bat, and the umpires ruled the batter out. I have never seen that in over 60 years of watching baseball.

1908: The Merkle Boner​

I first read of this story while I was in high school and have never forgotten it. It has become a good life lesson. It is somewhat similar to the story I am responding to above in that a base runner did not progress to the next base which would have allowed the winning run to score from third base in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. Unfortunately, Fred Merkle, a 19 year old rookie with the NY Giants got caught up in the jubilation of the moment of an apparent game winning hit in the bottom of the 9th inning in a late September game and failed to touch 2nd base after running from 1st base with 2 outs. He was ultimately ruled out on a force out nullifying the winning run. After a near riot developed on the field, the game would ultimately be ruled a tie and a 1-game playoff would need to be played in NY at the conclusion of the regular season. His mistake would eventually cost the NY Giants a pennant, which would be awarded to the Chicago Cubs after winning a 1-game playoff against the Giants' Ace, Christy Mathewson to conclude the 1908 season.

I guess the lesson from this is to always complete the play, and not assume that the game must be over, regardless of the excitement on the field.

Baseball has a lot of quirky rules, and this is just another example. Finish the play!

I hope you enjoy the read.

The Merkle Boner

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT