ADVERTISEMENT

Ratio of Iowa to Iowa State fans?

This is simple, really. There are more Iowa fans in Iowa than there are Iowa State fans...but not as many more as Iowa fans want to believe.

That should put the matter to rest.

My daughter (no pics) goes to ISU. She's no ISU fan.
One would hope that when we bash one another that I would never refer to ISU as a poor academic school. If my kid wanted to go there to major in something, I would say hell yeah great choice.

I think there's a very real possibility that ISU could be forced to drop more sports if they fall out of a P5 conference as the revenue dip would be substantial.

This is simple, really. There are more Iowa fans in Iowa than there are Iowa State fans...but not as many more as Iowa fans want to believe.

Pshhhh, have you even considered the amount of tavern hoks out there? Iowa 10:1 according to CW.

There was a poll/survey a few years ago. IIRC it was about 3-1 Iowa in Eastern Iowa, 4-3 ISU in Central Iowa. But I didn't save the info and it's been a while.

I have cited a 1977 Iowa Poll before. It showed an ISU advantage statewide but that's long ago and certainly irrelevant. Also, it was specific football on the eve of the series resumption. The question was something like "Which team do you want to win?"

Bull followed by shit. One only need look at football attendance. IOWA put more butts in the seats even when they were mired in a long losing streak.

Here are the home attendance figures for Trice from 75-80. Brand new stadium, 76-78, the height of ISU's success and the lowest point for IOWA. ISU had EVERY advantage in this snapshot and should dominate is that "poll" was accurate.

YearGamesTotalAverageCoach
19755198,86939,774 Bruce
19766245,88540,981 Bruce
19776263,36243,894 Bruce
19785243,50048,700Bruce
19796227,90045,483 Duncan
19806299,58449,931 Duncan

Here are the home attendance figures for Kinnick for the same years, when the team was deep into a 15 year losing streak.

YEAR TOTAL AVERAGE

1975 320,690 53,448 88.8%

1976 267,327 53,465 88.8%

1977 377,410 53,916 89.6%

1978 319,289 53,214 88.4%

1979 358,245 59,708 99/2%

1980 359,750 59,958 99.6%

Spare me the "Iowa had a bigger stadium" argument. Point is, this was at the PEAK of ISU's football success and the darkest days for IOWA. Still...more IOWA fans in the seats.

Bull followed by shit. One only need look at football attendance. IOWA put more butts in the seats even when they were mired in a long losing streak.

Here are the home attendance figures for Trice from 75-80. Brand new stadium, 76-78, the height of ISU's success and the lowest point for IOWA. ISU had EVERY advantage in this snapshot and should dominate is that "poll" was accurate.

19755198,86939,774 Bruce
19766245,88540,981Bruce
19776263,36243,894 Bruce
19785243,50048,700Bruce

Here are the home attendance figures for Kinnick for the same years, when the team was deep into a 15 year losing streak.

YEAR TOTAL AVERAGE

Spare me the "Iowa had a bigger stadium" argument. Point is, this was at the PEAK of ISU's football success and the darkest days for IOWA. Still...more IOWA fans in the seats.
Man those 1970s Iowa fans that went to games were the die hards. They either loved it or there were a lot of guys just wanting to get out of the house.

Man those 1970s Iowa fans that went to games were the die hards. They either loved it or there were a lot of guys just wanting to get out of the house.
Die hards...that's entirely the point. Thousands of die hard IOWA fans.

The second half of your point sounds like something an envious Minnesota fan would say, "Well, there's nothing else to do in Iowa".

From the stories I have heard you could bring kegs of beer into the stadium in those days. Hell yes that sounds like fun no matter how bad the football team is. Remember that back in those days there was maybe one or two football games a weekend on TV. Sitting in the stadium on a nice fall Saturday with unlimited beer you packed in on your own and nobody cares. Sign me up.

From the stories I have heard you could bring kegs of beer into the stadium in those days. Hell yes that sounds like fun no matter how bad the football team is. Remember that back in those days there was maybe one or two football games a weekend on TV. Sitting in the stadium on a nice fall Saturday with unlimited beer you packed in on your own and nobody cares. Sign me up.

Not to mention the bagpipes at halftime.

The wife and I have been together since 2009 and we travel often. Since day one, she's commented on how we see IOWA fans everywhere we go. It's become a bit of a game, who can spot the first IOWA shirt, hat, bumper sticker or decal. Last time in Mexico we got the room, grabbed the swim stuff and headed down to the beach. In the elevator she said "How long 'til we see some Hawkeyes?" The door opened on the ground floor and there were two couples, all with IOWA shirts right in front of us. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston SC, Mexico, you name it...Hawkeye fans are everywhere. Not so much, with clones.
I’ve never seen anybody wearing ISU gear anywhere except inside Jack Trice on game days.

We saw a Hawkeye shirt in Japan. That pretty much sums up the 2 schools.

Nationwide (including the state of Iowa) it’s probably 15:1 Iowa fans over ISU.

Die hards...that's entirely the point. Thousands of die hard IOWA fans.

The second half of your point sounds like something an envious Minnesota fan would say, "Well, there's nothing else to do in Iowa".
I went to some games in 99 and 2000 and you could damn near choose where you wanted to sit at many games.

19755198,86939,774 Bruce
19766245,88540,981Bruce
19776263,36243,894 Bruce
19785243,50048,700Bruce

YEAR TOTAL AVERAGE

I cited an Iowa Poll. If you think it's bullshit, tell the DM Register.

I went to some games in 99 and 2000 and you could damn near choose where you wanted to sit at many games.
You sound like a clone...cherry picking the stats. Those were the 2 worst seasons in the last 40+ years.

Though IOWA did average 63,464 at home in 1999 and 61,227 in 2000. Kinnick wasn't exactly empty...your memory may be a bit fuzzy...or perhaps you're remembering the 4th quarter of a game when people cleared out early.

By comparison ISU averaged 38,929 in 1999 and 42,020 in 2020 (a bowl season). Look at that again, IOWA outdrew ISU by 19,000/game in 2000, a year which followed a 1-10 season and when ISU was good enough to quailify for a bowl.

The wife and I have been together since 2009 and we travel often. Since day one, she's commented on how we see IOWA fans everywhere we go. It's become a bit of a game, who can spot the first IOWA shirt, hat, bumper sticker or decal. Last time in Mexico we got the room, grabbed the swim stuff and headed down to the beach. In the elevator she said "How long 'til we see some Hawkeyes?" The door opened on the ground floor and there were two couples, all with IOWA shirts right in front of us. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston SC, Mexico, you name it...Hawkeye fans are everywhere. Not so much, with clones.
We ran into some Hawkeye fans in Prague a few years ago.

You know as well as I do, a poll is only as good as its methodology.
Yes, and I know that poll has a good reputation. But to your point, the question was something like "who do you want to win?" and that doesn't necessarily mean it was a valid measure of fans. There might have been Iowa fans who wanted Commings gone.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Yes, and I know that poll has a good reputation. But to your point, the question was something like "who do you want to win?" and that doesn't necessarily mean it was a valid measure of fans. There might have been Iowa fans who wanted Commings gone.
To be fair, you summed it up pretty well. There are more IOWA fans that ISU fans, but not as many more as IOWA fans want to believe.
I would add, "There may be more ISU fans than there were 20 years ago...but not as many as ISU fans would like to believe". That's the one you're gonna have a tough time selling in Story county. Seems like plenty of your buddies think ISU is the next Texas.

To be fair, you summed it up pretty well. There are more IOWA fans that ISU fans, but not as many more as IOWA fans want to believe.
I would add, "There may be more ISU fans than there were 20 years ago...but not as many as ISU fans would like to believe". That's the one you're gonna have a tough time selling in Story county. Seems like plenty of your buddies think ISU is the next Texas.
Completely agree. Sometimes Iowa fans forget the largest metro in the state is 30 mins from Ames. ISU travels to conference basketball tournaments better than Iowa and bowl travel has been really impressive. That’s why Iowa State getting left out in realignment is really good for Iowa with DesMoines metro growing like it is.

I live in AZ. I see Hawkeyes all the time. Rarely Cyclones. Lots of I thoughts but they are Trojan fans

One would hope that when we bash one another that I would never refer to ISU as a poor academic school. If my kid wanted to go there to major in something, I would say hell yeah great choice.
Depends what they were going to school for. Veterinary, Ag, Ag Business, some engineering, I get it. Business (non-ag), medical, law, education, I don't get it.

I would say it is 3 to 1 if I had to guess.

I've lived in Kansas most of my life. Everyone is a bug KState fan in the fall and a big KU fan in the winter. If you had to ask them to pick just one though, the majority would be KU fans.
In KC suburbs I see a lot more KU fans than Ksate but KU fans disappear in the fall. I’m assuming all those KU flags get replaced with Chiefs flags on September 1st.

You sound like a clone...cherry picking the stats. Those were the 2 worst seasons in the last 40+ years.

Though IOWA did average 63,464 at home in 1999 and 61,227 in 2000. Kinnick wasn't exactly empty...your memory may be a bit fuzzy...or perhaps you're remembering the 4th quarter of a game when people cleared out early.

By comparison ISU averaged 38,929 in 1999 and 42,020 in 2020 (a bowl season). Look at that again, IOWA outdrew ISU by 19,000/game in 2000, a year which followed a 1-10 season and when ISU was good enough to quailify for a bowl.
Funny thing is when they had that “huge expansion” to JTS increased its capacity to 61,500. Even in the very bad years of Iowa football it still avg the max ISU has ever held. Funny always hear about the loyal dedicated isu fans. But besides okie st 2x in 17’ and 19’ they haven’t sold out any games since their expansion to teams outside the state. Granted sure will finally have some more this year but what do you think future will hold in 22’ and beyond by losing almost all their starters from this year, most likely in a weaker conference and when Campbell eventually leaves? Only other sellouts otherwise have been Iowa or uni games. Meanwhile you will see Kent st and Colorado St games exceed 61500 at kinnick this year.

lastly to tie in the whole realignment deal. OU and Texas by far have the 2 largest stadiums in the conference. Sad thing is after they leave ISU will have the largest seating capacity in the Big 12…..

Last edited:
Funny thing is when they had that “huge expansion” to JTS increased its capacity to 61,500. Even in the very bad years of Iowa football it still avg the max ISU has ever held. Funny always hear about the loyal dedicated isu fans. But besides okie st 2x in 17’ and 19’ they haven’t sold out any games since their expansion to teams outside the state. Granted sure will finally have some more this year but what do you think future will hold in 22’ and beyond by losing almost all their starters from this year, most likely in a weaker conference and when Campbell eventually leaves? Only other sellouts otherwise have been Iowa or uni games. Meanwhile you will Kent st and Colorado St games exceed 61500 at kinnick this year.

lastly to tie in the whole realignment deal. OU and Texas by far have the 2 largest stadiums in the conference. Sad thing is after they leave ISU will have the largest seating capacity in the Big 12…..
It's a pretty weak conferece, without Texas and OU. Certainly not P5 material.

Over on Cyfan they think they are a national brand now. lol
Kind of wishful thinking as they await their fate. Pac12 is certainly a better landing spot than the WAC, but the Pac12 has lost a lot of luster in the last decade.

The thing that will suck for Clone fans are those Pacific time zone starts on Saturday nite. No one east of the Mississippi will watch.

Reactions: David1979
Saw Hawkeye jerseys for sale in Toronto several years ago.
Ha! When I was in Toronto a few years ago, a guy spotted me with an Iowa shirt on and he took the time and effort to cross the street and approach me to give me a Go Hawks! I thought it was awesome and I LOL'd.

If I had to estimate Hawkeye fans/Cyclone fans ratio within the state borders, I'd guess something between 60-65% Iowa and 35-40% ISU. But probably closer to the 65/35 end, which is close to 2:1

Last edited:
Some Colorado samples from personal experience. After the 2015 Northwestern game, my neighbor asked if the Mrs. and I wanted to go with him and his wife to downtown Denver to a bar in Highlands with an outdoor beer garden he found (Forest Room 5). I kept my Hawkeye gear on. Drove down to Highlands, parked on the street a couple blocks away from the bar, got out and was met by a young mom running while pushing her baby in a jogging stroller---"Go Hawks! from her. Went around the corner, ran into two guys leaving another bar, both with Hawkeye gear--"Go Hawks!" exchanged with them. Walked into the bar and out to the beer garden. Older gentleman walks up to me and says, "Hawks played great today!" I asked if he was an Iowa fan. Said, "yes, I went to dental school at Iowa, practiced in Dubuque, sold my practice a couple years ago and moved out here where my son and I bought this place---first round is on the house." This kinda stuff happens ALL THE TIME here in Colorado. I can count the number of times I haven't got a "Go Hawks" from someone here while wearing Hawkeye gear on one hand. Same thing when we spent the winter in San Diego a few years ago--Hawk fans are everywhere. As for school bumper stickers, license plate frames, etc., here in Denver, Iowa is clearly in the top 4, along with CU, CSU and Debbie (although Nebbie stuff isn't as prevalent as it used to be). Iowa car stuff may in fact be the most prevalent here. Similar ISU stuff is rare. I have a tiger hawk bike jersey. Get "Go Hawks" shout-outs on the bike trails almost every time I wear it.

ISU is college sports version of the evangelical voting block. The literal numbers are few, and the beliefs are insane. However, the volume is turned up to 12, and they may literally die to prove Story County is where college football was invented.

The woman wearing a low cut shirt is as much to blame for being sexually assaulted as the man who assaulted her. Just like the Iowa band is as much to blame for getting their asses kicked for leaving the stadium, as ISU fans are to blame for kicking their asses. The Duggars would believe the former, and Clone fans would believe the latter.

You can claim this simile isn’t on the head, but you know in your heart it’s true.

Growing up, saw very little ISU gear around here (CR area). Now it's WAY more common.
The same Cyclone fans that wear walking around in a gray t shirt when you were a kid, are now unreasonably proud, and have a shirt with the ISU football schedule on the back.

ADVERTISEMENT