ADVERTISEMENT

Ratio of Iowa to Iowa State fans?

Mrs. LC and I both graduated from Iowa. So you know of at least two now.
Thanks, good to know. My follow-up question: were you and Mrs. LC cyclone fans while attending the U of I, or became such after graduation?

At the risk of being criticized for going off topic, I am puzzled by something about Iowa license plates. Most are like ABC123, but occasionally you see one that's 123ABC. Did they actually run out of combinations? Or what?
The previous arrangement of three numbers followed by three letters used on Iowa license plates reached the maximum possible combination. Newly issued plates that are not personalized use a reverse sequence of three letters, followed by three numbers.

Thanks, good to know. My follow-up question: were you and Mrs. LC cyclone fans while attending the U of I, or became such after graduation?
I was a Cyclone fan before attending Iowa. Mrs. LC is a convert.

The previous arrangement of three numbers followed by three letters used on Iowa license plates reached the maximum possible combination. Newly issued plates that are not personalized use a reverse sequence of three letters, followed by three numbers.
Thanks. It's been bothering Mrs. LC, who will buy you a beer out of gratitude at the UNI game.

Reactions: Psyclone
LOL!! I believe that you actually think that.
He's pulling your chain. Some Hawkeye fans probably actually do believe that, but based on his posts, I don't think he's that dumb.

For the record, the state has no official nickname, although some sources erroneously say it does.

A bill was introduced into the legislature a few years ago to designate "Hawkeye State" but it never got out of committee. The only quasi-official nickname would probably be "Tall Corn State" because that was on license plates at one time, but it was never officially adopted, either.

We have an official flower, bird, song and even a rock, but no nickname.

Clowns only exist in significant number in Ames and the Des Moines area.

Eastern Iowa=Hawkeyes. North Central Iowa=Hawkeyes. South Central Iowa=Hawkeyes. And in Western Iowa, if they aren't Hawkeyes, they are Huskers.

That last one pretty much says it all
The whole DM metro is dominated by Hawkeye fans.

And it’s not even close.

Most of the little towns immediately outside of Ames is Hawkeye country.

Basically if you step foot off campus in Ames, you’re in Hawkeye country.

Reactions: NI hawk

And it’s not even close.

Sure it is! LOL!! And Colorado is a conservative state.

• Haha
Reactions: jimbob22

And it’s not even close.

Love my hawks but to say Iowa “dominates” the Des Moines metro is just banana land. 50/50 is more realistic. Which is pretty damn impressive since Ames is 30 mins away.

Love my hawks but to say Iowa “dominates” the Des Moines metro is just banana land. 50/50 is more realistic. Which is pretty damn impressive since Ames is 30 mins away.
Yep. This is pretty accurate.

There is a myth in Eastern Iowa that Central Iowa is Cyclone country. It may not be what Rocky Mountain Hawk suggests, but it is every bit as much Hawkeye country as it is Cyclone.

We live in Ankeny, and our kids are in the Ankeny high district. Ankeny high has more Hawkeye fans than Cyclone fans, but Centennial leans fairly heavy Cyclone. Centennial is on the North side of town(probably about 20 miles from Ames,) and it is as if Ames literally craps their alumni right into the North side of town.

I’m from the DM metro & I still spend a lot of time back there.

It’s easily 70% Hawkeye fans. And that’s being very, very generous to the Cyclones with that estimate.

The thing about judging the relative size of fandom by personal observations is flawed in a couple of ways. First its obvious personal observations are in the eye of the beholder and we can see things the way we want to see them. In my little corner of the city/suburbs, I observe more Cyclones than Hawkeyes in my little corner of the world. If I venture further into the city, I know that doesn't hold up.

But the bigger flaw is that not all fans show their colors in public, particularly when their team is not doing well. I mentioned before about of the large number of Cyclone fans in Linn County, but you would rarely spot them in public decades ago. They didn't show their colors because frankly there wasn't much to be proud of relative to the success Iowa was having at the time. That has clearly changed to the point it is not unusual to see folks sporting Cyclone gear or driving cars with Cyclone vanity plates in the Cedar Rapids area.
To avoid using personal observations as the basis should facts be used instead? ISU has last year’s tv numbers, alums and enrollment. Iowa has attendance, donations, ticket revenue and now license plate sales. So ISU has one active metric while Iowa has several active metrics. Active as ‘making a choice to show my support as a fan’ hope that helps.

He's pulling your chain. Some Hawkeye fans probably actually do believe that, but based on his posts, I don't think he's that dumb.

For the record, the state has no official nickname, although some sources erroneously say it does.

A bill was introduced into the legislature a few years ago to designate "Hawkeye State" but it never got out of committee. The only quasi-official nickname would probably be "Tall Corn State" because that was on license plates at one time, but it was never officially adopted, either.

A tired argument that is really irrelevant.

No, Hawkeye State is not an “official” nickname. But it is our state’s nickname nonetheless. That‘s just the way it is.

Reactions: NI hawk
I’m from the DM metro & I still spend a lot of time back there.

It’s easily 70% Hawkeye fans. And that’s being very, very generous to the Cyclones with that estimate.
LOL!! That’s the equivalent of saying that 70% of the patrons at your favorite steakhouse, are steak eaters.

It would be interesting if there was a way to measure how many current ISU fans are "bandwagon " followers who jumped on in the last year or so as the Clones became competitive?

Whether it be apparel, license plates, flags, or whatever they do to show fandom...I suspect things return to normal when this little run expires.

The national perception remains that Iowa is the Hawkeye State.

Who can ever forget the Liberty Bowl against Memphis when the announcers constantly referred to ISU as the Iowa State Hawkeyes?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
To avoid using personal observations as the basis should facts be used instead? ISU has last year’s tv numbers, alums and enrollment. Iowa has attendance, donations, ticket revenue and now license plate sales. So ISU has one active metric while Iowa has several active metrics. Active as ‘making a choice to show my support as a fan’ hope that helps.
Those are good metrics, but some of them could indicate wealth of the most passionate fans, rather than pure numbers. But lacking any pure count of fans in a region we are stuck with those measures and the ones I mentioned.

Since you brought it up, where do you find donations for each school, both numbers and dollars? And ticket revenue? I haven't found these numbers to be readily available. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Those are good metrics, but some of them could indicate wealth of the most passionate fans, rather than pure numbers. But lacking any pure count of fans in a region we are stuck with those measures and the ones I mentioned.

Since you brought it up, where do you find donations for each school, both numbers and dollars? And ticket revenue? I haven't found these numbers to be readily available. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
I usually go to the regents site to find ticket revenue and to the foundation sites to find the donations. The regents site will have the information on how much the foundation supports athletics. Some interesting numbers in the reports and how the schools accounting methods vary.
If ‘novelties’ at Iowa are the equivalent of ‘licensing’ at ISU it’s about 3.4m to 1.2m, Assuming that Learfield is the equivalent to multi media rights it’s 7.54 to 5.4m. Ticket revenue for football was Iowa at 23.3m plus 8.4m in premium seat revenue while iSU lists 11.1 m and doesn’t list any premium seat revenue, maybe it’s in the auxiliary income category(?)
Foundation information was 266m while iSU was 127m. I couldn’t find the numbers of donors and that is for the entire university so I couldn’t break out the athletic part of it. Hope this helps.

I usually go to the regents site to find ticket revenue and to the foundation sites to find the donations. The regents site will have the information on how much the foundation supports athletics. Some interesting numbers in the reports and how the schools accounting methods vary.
If ‘novelties’ at Iowa are the equivalent of ‘licensing’ at ISU it’s about 3.4m to 1.2m, Assuming that Learfield is the equivalent to multi media rights it’s 7.54 to 5.4m. Ticket revenue for football was Iowa at 23.3m plus 8.4m in premium seat revenue while iSU lists 11.1 m and doesn’t list any premium seat revenue, maybe it’s in the auxiliary income category(?)
Foundation information was 266m while iSU was 127m. I couldn’t find the numbers of donors and that is for the entire university so I couldn’t break out the athletic part of it. Hope this helps.
The hospital is big for Iowa in many ways including university donations.

I was curious about donors, because all I ever see reported for ISU is Cyclone Club numbers. But the big dollars for projects & endowments aren't included in that. Those seem to get lumped in with the other university donations reported by the Foundation.

Endowments are a bit unique in they are not an annual donation typically. They are often a large one time donation or pledge that gets invested with annual distributions to their targeted purpose. The recent Moon donation is a big one. Was that a lump sum gift or a pledged amount to be gifted over time? I don't think you typically get that info from the press releases.

I'm not sure if facility donations are a pledged amount over a period of years or if the announced size is a lump sum gift. I don't think the casual fan has the time to find all these details.

At the grocery store this morning I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt that advertised "Dirty John's Grocery, Iowa City." I can't recall the last time I saw a clone shirt in Chicago.

FWIW, there are quite a few ISU fans in Chicago but absolutely nowhere near the number of Iowa fans. I recently looked this up on LinkedIn partially to prove a point and partially for fun. :p These are the number of LinkedIn profiles for each schools' grads in the Chicago Area (restricted it to BCS schools for the purpose of this):

1. Illinois: 118,770
2. Northwestern: 54,010
3. Purdue: 36,767
4. Indiana: 36,146
5. Wisconsin: 35,158
6. Iowa: 24,803
7. Michigan: 18,958
8. Michigan State: 18,952
9. Notre Dame: 13,463
10. Missouri: 10,542
11. Iowa State: 10,286
12. Ohio State: 9,191
13. Kansas: 6,822
14. Minnesota: 6,656
15. Penn State: 5,032
16. Arizona: 4,794
17. Cal: 4,024
18. Colorado: 4,037
19. Texas: 3,728
20. Florida: 2,812

(Yes, fellow B1G schools do fall that far down ... #21 Nebraska, #32 Maryland, #34 Rutgers.)

Now, how many T-shirts you see is another matter, I guess. ;) Iowa, Michigan and Michigan State fans wear their teams' shirts to Cubs games, fancy dinners and funerals, it seems, while Illinois and Northwestern fans don't break them out unless their teams are on a roll or they're actually going to a game.

Reactions: iafan44 and Moral

Well, I’ve purchased several items outside the state of Iowa over the years (such as a state map), which have references to “the Hawkeye state” so I assume nationwide more people think of Iowa as “the Hawkeye state” rather than “the Cyclone state”. Several isu acquaintances that I have begrudgingly agree. Personally, I don’t care what P5Chump or LC think.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve purchased several items outside the state of Iowa over the years (such as a state map), which have references to “the Hawkeye state” so I assume nationwide more people think of Iowa as “the Hawkeye state” rather than “the Cyclone state”. Several isu acquaintances that I have begrudgingly agree. Personally, I don’t care what P5Chump or LC think.
It’s not official!!!!!

Every human being in America considers Iowa the Hawkeye state.

but it’s not official!!!!!

(nation rolls it’s eyes) okay, yep, your correct. You win. Now go away.

It’s not official!!!!!

Every human being in America considers Iowa the Hawkeye state.

but it’s not official!!!!!

(nation rolls it’s eyes) okay, yep, your correct. You win. Now go away.
The team that wins the game will move up in the rankings by voters.

Football fans who don't live in Iowa won't give a crap

The team that wins the game will move up in the rankings by voters.

Football fans who don't live in Iowa won't give a crap
Did you reply to the wrong post? What does that have to do with why Iowa it is considered by most people the Hawkeye State? Half the people in the US who know it by that moniker probably don’t even watch college football.

I’m making fun of LC for claiming it’s not the “official name,” even though every human, and half of the dogs in America refer to it as such.

I have 2 cousins each an alumni from both schools. Neither could give a rats ass about sports or cheer for either school in anything. So just another example of throwing a wrench in the argument one school has more in state alum than the other that equals more fans in state.
As you may have noticed, I didn't claim more students or alumni equated to more fans. My point is that those kind of things are objective measures, whereas figuring out number of fans is a subjective exercise.

Kind of wishful thinking as they await their fate. Pac12 is certainly a better landing spot than the WAC, but the Pac12 has lost a lot of luster in the last decade.

The thing that will suck for Clone fans are those Pacific time zone starts on Saturday nite. No one east of the ROCKIES will watch.
FIFY

Growing up, saw very little ISU gear around here (CR area). Now it's WAY more common.
That is the same way here in San Antonio with NBA gear. Lots of Spurs fans, of course, but the years the Lakers were contending with the Spurs when LA came to town that grape and urine color was everywhere. The past few years when LA wasn’t contending they weren’t as many. Both fan bases are like cockroaches, they are everywhere when good (dark), but when not so good (light on), they scatter and hide.

Iowa.gov says, “Iowa's nickname is the Hawkeye state.”

as does….
Travel Iowa

Britannica

Google

Infoplease

Des Moines Register

Wikipedia

Iowa.gov says, “Iowa's nickname is the Hawkeye state.”

as does….
Travel Iowa

Britannica

Google

Infoplease

Des Moines Register

Wikipedia
Yes. I said it's incorrectly identified in numerous places. It is definitely the most commonly used nickname. But Iowa has no official nickname.

This was emphasized when an effort to make "Hawkeye State" the official nickname failed in the state Legislature. So the only thing official about it is that it has been officially rejected.

• Haha
Yes. I said it's incorrectly identified in numerous places. It is definitely the most commonly used nickname. But Iowa has no official nickname.

This was emphasized when an effort to make "Hawkeye State" the official nickname failed in the state Legislature. So the only thing official about it is that it has been officially rejected.
Give it up. So it hasn’t been “officially” adopted by the legislature. Big deal. But Iowa is known by pretty much the entire world as “The Hawkeye State.” All the complaining about it not being official will just fall on deaf ears. Iowa is the Hawkeye State. Period. End of story.

^ I don’t get the point of this argument, haha. The University of Iowa picked the name “Hawkeyes” BECAUSE it was a name associated with the state and not the other way around. However, I’ll agree that WAY more non-grads in the vast majority of the state cheer for Iowa over Iowa State, and this is likely not a totally irrelevant reason why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT