Travel Iowa

Britannica

Google

Infoplease

Des Moines Register

Wikipedia
IT’S NOT OFFICIAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!😩😩😩😩😭😭😭

Reactions: 83Hawk
Yes. I said it's incorrectly identified in numerous places. It is definitely the most commonly used nickname. But Iowa has no official nickname.

This was emphasized when an effort to make "Hawkeye State" the official nickname failed in the state Legislature. So the only thing official about it is that it has been officially rejected.
That’s just semantics. As you say...it’s definitely the most commonly used Iowa nickname. Regardless if it’s “official” or not, the bulk of people in or out of the state associate Iowa with the Hawkeye State.

Reactions: NI hawk
Perhaps the legislature should try to make it “official”...again.
The result would be the same as it was last time. Could you guys take the rejection?

I think it would make more sense to name an official state sandwich...obviously, the pork tenderloin.

Reactions: oldmansleague
Glad you understand that. It's really a pretty simple matter.
"Weed isn't popular, it's illegal stupid"

Sorry, but what a dumbass way to look at it. Not being from Iowa, I've heard it reffered to as the Hawkeye State countless times. No one gives 2 shits how the legislature voted on it.

Also, that NYT map that tracks Facebook likes by zip codes is not kind to Cyclones fandom in the state. Don’t get me wrong, that map is incredibly flawed, and here are just a few examples…

1) There are not more Wisconsin fans in MINNEAPOLIS than Gophers fans, let alone significantly more, lol. You can use hyperbole about a lack of Minny support in the Twin Cities, but the student population alone makes this impossible, even if only like 35% are fans (which is unfairly low).

2) There aren’t more UNC fans than Duke fans in Durham or than Wake Forest fans in Winston-Salem, period! I’m sure it’s embarrassingly close, but they’re not outnumbered.

3) I live in Chicago, and there are zero zip codes with more OSU fans than Illinois or Notre Dame, lol, and in general Illini support is understated. It’s pretty much (very low % plurality for each, BTW) Illinois most places except for Notre Dame south and SW of the Loop, plus any suburbs that are particularly Irish/Catholic, Northwestern in Evanston and maybe 1-2 suburbs in each direction, Wisconsin in the extreme north suburbs and then possibly another Big Ten school (Iowa/Michigan/MSU/etc.) in transplant heavy areas like Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville.

Back to my point, the map tends to obviously skew toward fans likely to have Facebook, and it overcounts “bandwagon likes” from random kids who think Texas or Florida are cool, while undercounting “local teams” who aren’t very good at the moment.

I think a good rule of thumb for Iowa on the map is to add 5-6% for ISU in every Central Iowa zip code and see what it gets you. It’s still only going to extend “Cyclone Territory” in a small radius around Story County (probably extending farther north and west than it goes east or south), and there will be a falloff toward the Hawkeyes as you go south of Ankeny (which should be ISU territory). And that would jive with my personal experience. There are CERTAINLY more Iowa fans than ISU fans in Western IA, from my experiences…

Also, that NYT map that tracks Facebook likes by zip codes is not kind to Cyclones fandom in the state. Don’t get me wrong, that map is incredibly flawed, and here are just a few examples…

1) There are not more Wisconsin fans in MINNEAPOLIS than Gophers fans, let alone significantly more, lol. You can use hyperbole about a lack of Minny support in the Twin Cities, but the student population alone makes this impossible, even if only like 35% are fans (which is unfairly low).

2) There aren’t more UNC fans than Duke fans in Durham or than Wake Forest fans in Winston-Salem, period! I’m sure it’s embarrassingly close, but they’re not outnumbered.

3) I live in Chicago, and there are zero zip codes with more OSU fans than Illinois or Notre Dame, lol, and in general Illini support is understated. It’s pretty much (very low % plurality for each, BTW) Illinois most places except for Notre Dame south and SW of the Loop, plus any suburbs that are particularly Irish/Catholic, Northwestern in Evanston and maybe 1-2 suburbs in each direction, Wisconsin in the extreme north suburbs and then possibly another Big Ten school (Iowa/Michigan/MSU/etc.) in transplant heavy areas like Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville.

Back to my point, the map tends to obviously skew toward fans likely to have Facebook, and it overcounts “bandwagon likes” from random kids who think Texas or Florida are cool, while undercounting “local teams” who aren’t very good at the moment.

I think a good rule of thumb for Iowa on the map is to add 5-6% for ISU in every Central Iowa zip code and see what it gets you. It’s still only going to extend “Cyclone Territory” in a small radius around Story County (probably extending farther north and west than it goes east or south), and there will be a falloff toward the Hawkeyes as you go south of Ankeny (which should be ISU territory). And that would jive with my personal experience. There are CERTAINLY more Iowa fans than ISU fans in Western IA, from my experiences…
This post is probably pretty accurate. Like you said, that map can’t be extremely accurate, but on a macro level it’s not a mile off.

Having lived in Ankeny for 18 years, it is bizarre how different the fan allegiance is from the North side of the town, to the South. The side of town is definitely Cyclone territory. The South side probably skews a bit Hawkeye.

The biggest myth in Eastern Iowa, is that Central Iowa is Cyclone country. It has most of
ISUs fan base, but it certainly doesn’t dominate the regions fandom. 80% of their entire fan base lives within 40 minutes of Ames.

The result would be the same as it was last time. Could you guys take the rejection?

I think it would make more sense to name an official state sandwich...obviously, the pork tenderloin.
Lol - it’s kind of a silly thing to be rejected about. As it’s been said over & over, regardless of the “official” state title, everyone calls it the Hawkeye State anyway. Not so sure a legislative re-vote wouldn’t be different this time, although as I mentioned...that doesn’t really matter.

LOL!!!! Seems logical since ISU attendance is increasing while the hawks have been on the decline…..Einstein at work.
You’ve just got to come to grips with the reality that Iowa fans vastly outnumber isu fans in the state and throughout the country. Breath deeply, it’s okay.

As you may have noticed, I didn't claim more students or alumni equated to more fans. My point is that those kind of things are objective measures, whereas figuring out number of fans is a subjective exercise.
While it may be subjective...my eyes tell me that the majority of Iowans are Hawkeye fans via apparel, flags, license plates etc. I suppose it could be that there are a lot of isu fans that are simply embarrassed to show that they are cyclown fans?

Don't count out the loose meat sandwich.

Don't count out the loose meat sandwich.
Loose meat, or Maid-Rite? There is a difference. Years ago, I read a piece where a guy described Iowa as "a place where they give you a spoon to eat your hamburger."

I'd still go with the tenderloin, though.

Reactions: rchawk
Loose meat, or Maid-Rite? There is a difference. Years ago, I read a piece where a guy described Iowa as "a place where they give you a spoon to eat your hamburger."

I'd still go with the tenderloin, though.
I figured Maid-Rite was a trademark. I'm not aware of the difference. There is the Sloppy Joe, which to me is a different variety from the loose meat family.

I figured Maid-Rite was a trademark. I'm not aware of the difference. There is the Sloppy Joe, which to me is a different variety from the loose meat family.
I think the sloppy joe has tomato sauce, unlike the Maid-Rite and loose meat. I'm getting hungry.

Reactions: Psyclone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT