ADVERTISEMENT

Ratio of Iowa to Iowa State fans?

What about Fidone? Western Iowa is like eastern Nebraska. The Block N is highly popular in that part of Iowa.
All of Nebraska is Hawkeye country!

I know their fball program is nothing but a toilet full of turds but there’s still no excuse for me seeing Hawkeye gear everywhere in Nebraska these days.

Depends what they were going to school for. Veterinary, Ag, Ag Business, some engineering, I get it. Business (non-ag), medical, law, education, I don't get it.
Its all still serviceable. There is no medical at ISU is there? Maybe undergrad biology stuff that you have to take before getting into med school somewhere. Don't believe they have a law school either.

And another thing about all of the Nebbers wearing Hawkeye gear all across that state now, I hate fair weather fans.

If you’re a Nebber, unfortunately you’re a Nebber.

You can’t switch to being a Hawkeye fan just because we’re superior.

And another thing about all of the Nebbers wearing Hawkeye gear all across that state now, I hate fair weather fans.

If you’re a Nebber, unfortunately you’re a Nebber.

You can’t switch to being a Hawkeye fan just because we’re superior.
Iowa has an empty trophy case. You can’t compare Iowa football to a true blue blood like Nebraska.

Iowa has an empty trophy case. You can’t compare Iowa football to a true blue blood like Nebraska.
Both schools have won National Championships, conference titles & division titles.

The only difference is that I’m not sure that Nebraska has ever possessed the Heroes Trophy.

If Nebber ever wins that then the schools will be dead even in accomplishments.

Completely agree. Sometimes Iowa fans forget the largest metro in the state is 30 mins from Ames. ISU travels to conference basketball tournaments better than Iowa and bowl travel has been really impressive. That’s why Iowa State getting left out in realignment is really good for Iowa with DesMoines metro growing like it is.
However, I do see lots of Hawkeye fans in Des Moines metro too.

Ha! When I was in Toronto a few years ago, a guy spotted me with an Iowa shirt on and he took the time and effort to cross the street and approach me to give me a Go Hawks! I thought it was awesome and I LOL'd.

If I had to estimate Hawkeye fans/Cyclone fans ratio within the state borders, I'd guess something between 60-65% Iowa and 35-40% ISU. But probably closer to the 65/35 end, which is close to 2:1
I would say the 65/35 is awfully damn close to reality.

All this talk about Iowa State possibly to Big Ten (mostly clickbait and Iowa State fans hoping) has lead to some discussion of what Iowa State could possibly add to the Big Ten. Clearly they don’t have national recognition but they really don’t have much recognition in Iowa either. From what I’ve seen it’s a about 75% Hawkeyes and 15% Cyclones (10% other) so the ration is about 5:1 Hawkeyes.

When comparing just Iowa to Iowa State, Eastern Iowa is probably 8:1 Hawkeyes. Around Des Moines it looked to be closer, but still 3:1/3:2 Hawkeyes. Northwest Iowa is strong Hawkeyes probably about 5:1. I haven’t spent much time in Council Tucky, but I did date a girl from Neola and her family is split and when I went to get gas near there the gas station was mostly Hawkeye gear and just a few trinkets for Iowa State.
LOL!!!! Seems logical since ISU attendance is increasing while the hawks have been on the decline…..Einstein at work.

• Haha
Reactions: jimbob22
I worked at Collins in Cedar Rapids for years. Around the time Hayden resurrected Iowa football and Iowa State football was tanking it was hard to find many fans showing their Iowa State allegiance. This is despite about 5000 alumni in the county, which at the time was claimed to be more than Iowa alumni.

The strange thing about it was as an engineer working at Collins, inside that building it was complete domination by Iowa State fans. That was clear when the company had a photo shoot on the lawn the week prior to the Iowa-Iowa State game and Iowa State fans outnumbered Iowa fans by 10:1. But despite that most of those ISU fans did not show their colors in public. I think it made them feel like outcasts. The local print and television media was pro Iowa and exposed themselves at times to be anti-Iowa State. It was hard being an Iowa State fan in Cedar Rapids. I heard stories of teachers ridiculing kids that wore Iowa State gear during that period of time.

As controversial as that billboard was that Jamie erected, it changed the attitude of ISU fans and brought them out of the closet. Basketball success and ending the dry spell of Iowa State football about 25 years ago helped change things. It is not unusual to see fans in Cyclone gear and many Cyclone plates in the Cedar Rapids area these days. Maybe not as many as Hawkeye fans, but some of that depends on the area of town you live in. My dead end street has five homes with Cyclone fans, one with a Hawkeye fan, one divided home, one Minnesota, one Ohio State and one with no sports allegiance. The Hawkeye fan is a North Dakota grad that adopted Iowa after he moved here.

Meanwhile the makeup of fans at my former company changed to become more balanced as they recruited more engineers from other states and software engineers made up a large part of the engineering organization. While there was still plenty of Iowa State grads working there when I retired 6 years ago, it was nothing like it used to be. I think the percentage of engineers relative to the other office workers has also changed (unfortunately).

Winning brings out fans. When Iowa would get a big win in football when the season wasn't going so well, the car flags would come out. It was like clockwork. Fans are proud of their team when they are winning, and many go into hiding when they are not.

Last edited:
LOL!!!! Seems logical since ISU attendance is increasing while the hawks have been on the decline…..Einstein at work.
I always love this clown argument on attendance. In 18’ Iowa sold out 4 of 7 games of new capacity of 69250 with new North end zone. Lowest game was 65000+. 19’ saw slight dip but funny thing minus one game (vs Illinois in Nov) they all had more than max capacity at JTS of 61500. Besides uni or Iowa the only time they’ve gotten a sell out from a team not in Iowa is when they’ve played Okie St.

I know clone fans will be beating their chest about this year. Which you have Iowa and uni again and with hype I’m sure they may actually sell out some besides those. But come 22’ and beyond I’m sure we will see things back to status quo. With bulk of your starters gone and team won’t be as good, chances of being in a lesser conference (no more premiere games vs OU and Texas) and Campbell will eventually leaving for better job no matter how hard clown fans try to convince themselves he won’t.

This is simple, really. There are more Iowa fans in Iowa than there are Iowa State fans...but not as many more as Iowa fans want to believe.

That should put the matter to rest.
Prove it. There are more Iowa State alumni than Iowa in the state. That doesn't make them all fans of their school, heck both you and I are alums of both schools, but it's virtually impossible to get an objective measure of fandom. You can count sheepskins though. And you can count number of students from the state that attend each school. And Iowa State wins those number battles.

Prove it. There are more Iowa State alumni than Iowa in the state. That doesn't make them all fans of their school, heck both you and I are alums of both schools, but it's virtually impossible to get an objective measure of fandom. You can count sheepskins though. And you can count number of students from the state that attend each school. And Iowa State wins those number battles.
I have 2 cousins each an alumni from both schools. Neither could give a rats ass about sports or cheer for either school in anything. So just another example of throwing a wrench in the argument one school has more in state alum than the other that equals more fans in state.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you wrote. And I would add that the last time I checked, there were more ISU vanity license plates than Iowa plates. But I'm basing my comment on that poll I mentioned that showed Iowa fans in -- IIRC -- about a 4-3 advantage statewide. I wish I had archived a copy, because the Hawk fans on this board don't believe a
ISU has a 3-2 edge in central Iowa and don't believe the overall margin is only 4-3.

Reactions: Psyclone
I lived in Iowa for a while, and while I’m not an expert … I’m also not biased as an Illini fan. This is my take:

Eastern IA: 80% Iowa, 10% Iowa State, 10% Other

Central Iowa: 45% Iowa, 35% Iowa State, 20% Other (DSM probably about even, with suburbs like Ankeny being slightly more Iowa State)

Western Iowa: Couldn’t say … I assume mostly Iowa, then Nebraska and Iowa State tied. If you are the flagship state school, you enjoy a very underrated advantage with 99% of non-grad fans. I didn’t go to Illinois ($$$); I cheer for them because they’re the state school, and I’m from Illinois.

More alums, more students
Well behind in attendance, ticket revenue and donations.
Interesting set of facts
I suspect sarcasm, but you are absolutely right. It IS an interesting set of facts.

IMHO, athletics has traditionally been more important to SUI students -- and thus alumni -- than to ISU students. That began changing a few decades ago but the effect remains.

The over-simplification is that generally speaking, ISU students were more interested in getting an education and getting a career started than having a good/social time. The difference between majoring in engineering and majoring in liberal arts.

I worked at Collins in Cedar Rapids for years. Around the time Hayden resurrected Iowa football and Iowa State football was tanking it was hard to find many fans showing their Iowa State allegiance. This is despite about 5000 alumni in the county, which at the time was claimed to be more than Iowa alumni.

The strange thing about it was as an engineer working at Collins, inside that building it was complete domination by Iowa State fans. That was clear when the company had a photo shoot on the lawn the week prior to the Iowa-Iowa State game and Iowa State fans outnumbered Iowa fans by 10:1. But despite that most of those ISU fans did not show their colors in public. I think it made them feel like outcasts. The local print and television media was pro Iowa and exposed themselves at times to be anti-Iowa State. It was hard being an Iowa State fan in Cedar Rapids. I heard stories of teachers ridiculing kids that wore Iowa State gear during that period of time.

As controversial as that billboard was that Jamie erected, it changed the attitude of ISU fans and brought them out of the closet. Basketball success and ending the dry spell of Iowa State football about 25 years ago helped change things. It is not unusual to see fans in Cyclone gear and many Cyclone plates in the Cedar Rapids area these days. Maybe not as many as Hawkeye fans, but some of that depends on the area of town you live in. My dead end street has five homes with Cyclone fans, one with a Hawkeye fan, one divided home, one Minnesota, one Ohio State and one with no sports allegiance. The Hawkeye fan is a North Dakota grad that adopted Iowa after he moved here.

Meanwhile the makeup of fans at my former company changed to become more balanced as they recruited more engineers from other states and software engineers made up a large part of the engineering organization. While there was still plenty of Iowa State grads working there when I retired 6 years ago, it was nothing like it used to be. I think the percentage of engineers relative to the other office workers has also changed (unfortunately).

Winning brings out fans. When Iowa would get a big win in football when the season wasn't going so well, the car flags would come out. It was like clockwork. Fans are proud of their team when they are winning, and many go into hiding when they are not.
Kind of a bs post...as an Iowa fan (win or lose) I fly my Hawkeye flag in front of house, wear Iowa gear, etc. in the various states that I have lived.

Lol - just drive through Iowa, including various Des Moines suburbs, and it’s evident that it’s a a Hawkeye state. Heck, I know plenty of kids that have attended isu and were Hawkeye fans. Not sure I’ve heard of students attending the University of Iowa that were isu fans?

I lived in Iowa for a while, and while I’m not an expert … I’m also not biased as an Illini fan. This is my take:

Central Iowa: 45% Iowa, 35% Iowa State, 20% Other (DSM probably about even, with suburbs like Ankeny being slightly more Iowa State)

Western Iowa: Couldn’t say … I assume mostly Iowa, then Nebraska and Iowa State tied. If you are the flagship state school, you enjoy a very underrated advantage with 99% of non-grad fans. I didn’t go to Illinois ($$$); I cheer for them because they’re the state school, and I’m from Illinois.
This is a decent take. I’m originally from northwest Iowa (predominant Hawkeye area), but have heard that certain area(s) near Carroll are isu leans. Regarding other states that I’ve lived in throughout the country...I saw Hawkeye gear, etc, and seldom cyclone stuff.

Reactions: BiPolarHawkeyeFan
Can't speak for all of western Iowa, I imagine Council Bluffs might lean Nebraska being close to Omaha, but for Sioux City, I'd say it's about 50 Iowa-40 Nebraska-10 ISU based on my sports retail experience. But Duke, Kansas, Oklahama, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, UNC and LSU all outsell ISU as well if their product is in stock. To be fair, those schools might outsell Iowa or Nebraska too if we carried equal amounts for each.

Clowns only exist in significant number in Ames and the Des Moines area.

Eastern Iowa=Hawkeyes. North Central Iowa=Hawkeyes. South Central Iowa=Hawkeyes. And in Western Iowa, if they aren't Hawkeyes, they are Huskers.

That last one pretty much says it all

• Haha
Reactions: P5Champs
This is a decent take. I’m originally from northwest Iowa (predominant Hawkeye area), but have heard that certain area(s) near Carroll are isu leans. Regarding other states that I’ve lived in throughout the country...I saw Hawkeye gear, etc, and seldom cyclone stuff.
I’m from NW Iowa as well. The alumni argument is hilarious because I’d say less than 5% of the Iowa fans in this part of the state went to Iowa but they all cheer for the hawks. Really the only isu fans are farmers that went to isu. Hell, most of the farmers I knew didn’t go to college and were hawk fans, like my dad.

Can't speak for all of western Iowa, I imagine Council Bluffs might lean Nebraska being close to Omaha, but for Sioux City, I'd say it's about 50 Iowa-40 Nebraska-10 ISU based on my sports retail experience. But Duke, Kansas, Oklahama, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, UNC and LSU all outsell ISU as well if their product is in stock. To be fair, those schools might outsell Iowa or Nebraska too if we carried equal amounts for each.
Are you saying that all those schools combined would outsell Iowa/Nebraska? Or every single school would? I find the latter hard to believe.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you wrote. And I would add that the last time I checked, there were more ISU vanity license plates than Iowa plates. But I'm basing my comment on that poll I mentioned that showed Iowa fans in -- IIRC -- about a 4-3 advantage statewide. I wish I had archived a copy, because the Hawk fans on this board don't believe a
ISU has a 3-2 edge in central Iowa and don't believe the overall margin is only 4-3.
From 2020 numbers,

The following are the top 10 most popular specialty plates sold in Iowa through end of December:
Blackout – 93,634
University of Iowa – 25, 617
Iowa State University – 16,740
DNR Goldfinch – 13,133
Firefighter – 11,860
Veteran – 9,505
Cattlemen – 6,426
DNR Eagle – 4,600
Business Trade – 4,258
DNR Pheasant – 3,738

Lol - just drive through Iowa, including various Des Moines suburbs, and it’s evident that it’s a a Hawkeye state. Heck, I know plenty of kids that have attended isu and were Hawkeye fans. Not sure I’ve heard of students attending the University of Iowa that were isu fans?
Mrs. LC and I both graduated from Iowa. So you know of at least two now.

From 2020 numbers,

The following are the top 10 most popular specialty plates sold in Iowa through end of December:
Blackout – 93,634
DNR Goldfinch – 13,133
Firefighter – 11,860
Veteran – 9,505
Cattlemen – 6,426
DNR Eagle – 4,600
Business Trade – 4,258
DNR Pheasant – 3,738
Good to know. That's a big change. Thanks.

Are you saying that all those schools combined would outsell Iowa/Nebraska? Or every single school would? I find the latter hard to believe.

Together they would. If we had as much Oklahoma stuff as Iowa or Nebraska, they'd probably be right there with them though, they'd easily be the third team in a three team race all things equal.

The thing about judging the relative size of fandom by personal observations is flawed in a couple of ways. First its obvious personal observations are in the eye of the beholder and we can see things the way we want to see them. In my little corner of the city/suburbs, I observe more Cyclones than Hawkeyes in my little corner of the world. If I venture further into the city, I know that doesn't hold up.

But the bigger flaw is that not all fans show their colors in public, particularly when their team is not doing well. I mentioned before about of the large number of Cyclone fans in Linn County, but you would rarely spot them in public decades ago. They didn't show their colors because frankly there wasn't much to be proud of relative to the success Iowa was having at the time. That has clearly changed to the point it is not unusual to see folks sporting Cyclone gear or driving cars with Cyclone vanity plates in the Cedar Rapids area.

From 2020 numbers,

Blackout – 93,634
DNR Goldfinch – 13,133
Firefighter – 11,860
Veteran – 9,505
Cattlemen – 6,426
DNR Eagle – 4,600
Business Trade – 4,258
DNR Pheasant – 3,738
Do you have a link to that data? I've looked for it and can't seem to find it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a list of the license plate text/numbers for personalized plates and can't seem to find that either.

Do you have a link to that data? I've looked for it and can't seem to find it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a list of the license plate text/numbers for personalized plates and can't seem to find that either.
At the risk of being criticized for going off topic, I am puzzled by something about Iowa license plates. Most are like ABC123, but occasionally you see one that's 123ABC. Did they actually run out of combinations? Or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT