ADVERTISEMENT

RBY to PSU per Twitter

The main thing for me is not what psu got but what other programs didn't get. Some of these kids would have made huge immediate impacts on other upcoming programs.
Gable was getting good recruits back in the day, but you didn't have nearly as much to go on to gauge the success level of their recruits.
Today, you have numerous national tourney pitting these elite kids against each other as well as private clubs to make them more college ready than ever. Gable was the greatest coach in the history of college sports cause he got more out of his athletes than anyone else not because he was an elite recruiter. Give Minkel the recruits that Carl has pulled in, and he will win titles too.
I want more parity in this sport. That is all

The main thing for me is not what psu got but what other programs didn't get. Some of these kids would have made huge immediate impacts on other upcoming programs.
Gable was getting good recruits back in the day, but you didn't have nearly as much to go on to gauge the success level of their recruits.
Today, you have numerous national tourney pitting these elite kids against each other as well as private clubs to make them more college ready than ever. Gable was the greatest coach in the history of college sports cause he got more out of his athletes than anyone else not because he was an elite recruiter. Give Minkel the recruits that Carl has pulled in, and he will win titles too.

When Cael had just "good" recruits, he was pretty good at ISU.

Bur our PSU brethren want it both ways: "Cael gets the greatest recruits. Ex: Suriano is going to be in tbe finals in his first year!!!"

Or..."Cael is is a coaching genius!! Recruiting has nothing to do with it."

As to parity, it is the battle cry of losers.

I agree with this. I like conpetition. During Iowa's heyday under Gable we won more than a few championships as significant underdogs. We pulled out dual meet victories against Iowa State (and others) relying on huge upsets. It was not the smooth road that some see it as in hindsight. Gable coached good wrestlers into great ones. Gable worn himself into a nub coaching. He had to quit even though he could have won three more championships operating only on his own fumes.

Meanwhile, Cael and PSU have transformed D1 wrestling into a recruiting sweepstakes. That's it. He's not picking up diamonds in the rough, he's grabbing concensus blue chippers that every other school wants - but can't get. The 9.9 scholarship limit does not faze Penn State - it only hurts the "other" programs trying to catch them. Cael and company hardly seem to break a sweat.

If the shoe were on the other foot and Iowa was bringing in Cael-level recruits and assembling a national all-star team, I would be far less of a Hawk fan - if a fan at all.

Perhaps we should re-visit the Lee-teasdale threads. Prior to that HR was on life support and threads were even considering dumping TnT. Last winter other boards fan bases were coming here to just to warm up next to the dumpster

Bur our PSU brethren want it both ways: "Cael gets the greatest recruits. Ex: Suriano is going to be in tbe finals in his first year!!!"

Its a perfect formula. Great coach + great recruits + healthy slush fund = multiple NCs.

It's not as if Iowa hasn't been reeling multiple top shelf recruits lately. Add Berge and Warner to Iowa and we will have a Lakers/Celtics type wrestling rivalry going.

I agree parity = meh...

Reactions: Azchief32
I agree with this. I like conpetition. During Iowa's heyday under Gable we won more than a few championships as significant underdogs. We pulled out dual meet victories against Iowa State (and others) relying on huge upsets. It was not the smooth road that some see it as in hindsight. Gable coached good wrestlers into great ones. Gable worn himself into a nub coaching. He had to quit even though he could have won three more championships operating only on his own fumes.

Meanwhile, Cael and PSU have transformed D1 wrestling into a recruiting sweepstakes. That's it. He's not picking up diamonds in the rough, he's grabbing concensus blue chippers that every other school wants - but can't get. The 9.9 scholarship limit does not faze Penn State - it only hurts the "other" programs trying to catch them. Cael and company hardly seem to break a sweat.

If the shoe were on the other foot and Iowa was bringing in Cael-level recruits and assembling a national all-star team, I would be far less of a Hawk fan - if a fan at all.

Surely you jest regarding your Hawk fandom.

Reactions: Gutt15
Surely you jest regarding your Hawk fandom.

No. If I ever hear of Tom and Terry sitting in lawn chairs at practice with coolers of iced Mountain Dew chating with their investment managers, I'm gone.

200w.gif

In the past 6 years, Iowa has had the firepower to win a couple of times, but didn't come close to winning. On the other hand Cael had the firepower to win 5 of those 6 years and he did just that. I think Cael is a heck of a coach, and if you ask Gable, John Smith and Tom Brands they would probably say the same thing. PSU is getting the best recruits, and why wouldn't they. They keep winning and will continue until some team can dethrone them for a few consecutive years. I like where Iowa is headed with their change in recruiting philosophy, but they are still a few years away from dethroning PSU, imo. To the victor go the spoils.

If Iowa had just won the last 20 Natl. titles in a row, they would be doubled over laughing at the futility of the rest of the world!

How would you know?

Well, people in general like rooting for a winning program?:cool:

I'm guessing even you, pablo, root for the Hawks to come out on top every time they take the mat. Or, do you sometimes hope they lose? o_O

Well, people in general like rooting for a winning program?:cool:

I'm guessing even you, pablo, root for the Hawks to come out on top every time they take the mat. Or, do you sometimes hope they lose? o_O

Never. I love the wrestling program. I have to admit - sometimes I like our football team to lose because WHO's Sound Off show is lights out after a bad loss. I'm not a perfect Iowa fan, but I try.

Reactions: el dub
Its a perfect formula. Great coach + great recruits + healthy slush fund = multiple NCs.

It's not as if Iowa hasn't been reeling multiple top shelf recruits lately. Add Berge and Warner to Iowa and we will have a Lakers/Celtics type wrestling rivalry going.

I agree parity = meh...
Ok parity is meh.
So, you're telling me it's just as exciting for fans when an Indiana or Michigan St comes into your home duel meet as it would be for an Ohio st or Ok st? Blow outs don't do much for me. While I will always enjoy a Hawkeye victory, the win is so much sweeter when the fate of the duel isn't determined by the end of 157.
Now how exciting is it to have roughly 70% of your schedule made up of these weaker teams? More competitive programs means more competitive duel and tournament schedules. I'm a big fan of the rise of tOSU. Everytime we duel them, that event is highlighted on my calendar. This wasn't so 5 years ago.
I'm also a big fan of the rise of Nebraska, NC st, V tech. If we have a duel with them now, there is a lot of intrigue there for me as a fan. Again, not the case 5 years ago.
As far as the hypocrisy coming from an Iowa fan, I will say that Gable out coached his competition for those title streaks while Carl is out recruiting them. There in lies the difference for my argument.
Psu fans like to point to English and Conaway as examples of coaching his kids up. Gable had 50 Conaways and Englishs who achieved more than Carl's kids did.

I remember when the Huskers tried out Penn State's model of "creative financing" back in the 90's. All it took was one whistle blower to get the NCAA involved and the coach fired.

Current PSU roster: #1,3,3,3,4,5,5,7,10,12,32,35,45,78,88,90, with commits from #4,5,8,& 10.

Last edited:
Ok parity is meh.
So, you're telling me it's just as exciting for fans when an Indiana or Michigan St comes into your home duel meet as it would be for an Ohio st or Ok st? Blow outs don't do much for me. While I will always enjoy a Hawkeye victory, the win is so much sweeter when the fate of the duel isn't determined by the end of 157.
Now how exciting is it to have roughly 70% of your schedule made up of these weaker teams? More competitive programs means more competitive duel and tournament schedules. I'm a big fan of the rise of tOSU. Everytime we duel them, that event is highlighted on my calendar. This wasn't so 5 years ago.
I'm also a big fan of the rise of Nebraska, NC st, V tech. If we have a duel with them now, there is a lot of intrigue there for me as a fan. Again, not the case 5 years ago.
As far as the hypocrisy coming from an Iowa fan, I will say that Gable out coached his competition for those title streaks while Carl is out recruiting them. There in lies the difference for my argument.
Psu fans like to point to English and Conaway as examples of coaching his kids up. Gable had 50 Conaways and Englishs who achieved more than Carl's kids did.
You should try this method of posting. It's nonsense, but at least it tries to be reasonable. But it's too late, you said Minkle is as good as Cael................

you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retard-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: so cal hawkfan
9.9 schoarlship limit?
So PSU lands 2 more blue chip top ten PFP Out of State kids. How is this financially possible? Psu is loving this but this is a bad trend for the sport of wrestling. And judging by twitter, Gable Stevenson has all but committed there as well.
Scholarship limits are meant to prevent this type of hording of talent. Remember when Mejia and Renteria decomitted cause of lack of scholly money?
The stockpile of elite talent by the best recruiter in wrestling has all but insures other teams will have to pull off perfect NCAA runs to even contend with them for titles. Parity is a good thing. Hording the sports best young talents in one school is a bad thing.
I'd would say the same thing if Iowa was hauling in out of state top pfp recruits like this. As it is, it's a must now for Iowa to land both Berge and Warner to stay competitive with psu.
Cheering for individual titles contenders is exciting, but the intrigue of a competitive team race is something a lot more fans can get behind.
F you Kale
Ok parity is meh.
K2IUNv
I hate that I suck so bad at technology I can't post pics

There are enough PSU guys here defending all things PSU. They don't need your help.
I believe he is defending Nebraska the university he attended.

People should not be surprised PSU continues to recruit well. There gonna get theirs. We just need to make sure we get ours. I'm referring to Warner and Berge who are mega recruits. This class is so deep that Flo doesn't even have them in the top ten and they both could win multiple titles. Word is Berge is down to Iowa and PSU. Not getting him would sting.

Pardon my grammar.

My mistake Warner is now #6 and Berge #7 on the big board. Before the update I believe they were 10 and 11.

Last edited:

We think a lot alike. Probably a scary proposition for the both of us..................;)

Reactions: Azchief32
I love GABLE..I think he is the most impactful wrestler and coach in the History of Wrestling....BAR NONE. But I do think it is a little crazy that you think he did not get the wrestlers he really wanted. When he was a coach there was no "clear" wrestling hierarchy because there was not nearly as many national and top shelf competitions. Gable did the same thing...But he was a great coach because the guy he wanted was really the best wrestler with great coaching. Cael is replicating this process because he can get the guys he wants....Just like Gable.

Reactions: nitlion6
I love GABLE..I think he is the most impactful wrestler and coach in the History of Wrestling....BAR NONE. But I do think it is a little crazy that you think he did not get the wrestlers he really wanted. When he was a coach there was no "clear" wrestling hierarchy because there was not nearly as many national and top shelf competitions. Gable did the same thing...But he was a great coach because the guy he wanted was really the best wrestler with great coaching. Cael is replicating this process because he can get the guys he wants....Just like Gable.
Gable>cael
:)

Yeah. Sure you do.

By the way. Gable was one helluva college wrestling coach, but generally speaking he always had more better wrestlers than everybody else.

Great recruiter, great teacher, great motivator and god damned great leader. Wasn't all that uncommon for an Iowa backup to step into the lineup and make a run through the NCAAs - so also a great horder of talent.

Perhaps we should re-visit the Lee-teasdale threads. Prior to that HR was on life support and threads were even considering dumping TnT. Last winter other boards fan bases were coming here to just to warm up next to the dumpster
After Penn State wins 2017 B1Gs and NCAAs you will be able to come back here and warm yourself next to the fire.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT