ADVERTISEMENT

RealClear Politics: Trump Didn't Call Neo-Nazis 'Fine People.' Here's Proof.

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
By Steve Cortes

News anchors and pundits have repeated lies about Donald Trump and race so often that some of these narratives seem true, even to Americans who embrace the fruits of the president’s policies. The most pernicious and pervasive of these lies is the “Charlottesville Hoax,” the fake-news fabrication that he described the neo-Nazis who rallied in Charlottesville, Va., in August 2017 as “fine people.”

Just last week I exposed this falsehood, yet again, when CNN contributor Keith Boykin falsely stated, “When violent people were marching with tiki torches in Charlottesville, the president said they were ‘very fine people.’” When I objected and detailed that Trump’s “fine people on both sides” observation clearly related to those on both sides of the Confederate monument debate, and specifically excluded the violent supremacists, anchor Erin Burnett interjected, “He [Trump] didn’t say it was on the monument debate at all. No, they didn’t even try to use that defense. It’s a good one, but no one’s even tried to use it, so you just used it now.”

My colleagues seem prepared to dispute our own network’s correct contemporaneous reporting and the very clear transcripts of the now-infamous Trump Tower presser on the tragic events of Charlottesville. Here are the unambiguous actual words of President Trump:

“Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.”

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.”

As a man charged with publicly explaining Donald Trump’s often meandering and colloquial vernacular in highly adversarial TV settings, I appreciate more than most the sometimes-murky nature of his off-script commentaries. But these Charlottesville statements leave little room for interpretation. For any honest person, therefore, to conclude that the president somehow praised the very people he actually derided, reveals a blatant and blinding level of bias.

Nonetheless, countless so-called journalists have furthered this damnable lie. For example, MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace responded that Trump had “given safe harbor to Nazis, to white supremacists.” Her NBC colleague Chuck Todd claimed Trump “gave me the wrong kind of chills. Honestly, I’m a bit shaken from what I just heard.” Not to be outdone, print also got in on the act, with the New York Times spewing the blatantly propagandist headline: “Trump Gives White Supremacists Unequivocal Boost.” How could the Times possibly reconcile that Trump, who admonished that the supremacists should be “condemned totally” somehow also delivered an “unequivocal boost” to those very same miscreants?

But like many fake news narratives, repetition has helped cement this one into a reasonably plausible storyline for all but the most skeptical consumers of news. In fact, over the weekend, Fox News host Chris Wallace pressed White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney on why Trump has not given a speech “condemning … white supremacist bigotry.” Well, Chris, he has, and more than once. The most powerful version was from the White House following Charlottesville and the heartbreaking death of Heather Heyer. President Trump’s succinct and direct words:

“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.”

Despite the clear evidence of Trump’s statements regarding Charlottesville, major media figures insist on spreading the calumny that Trump called neo-Nazis “fine people.” The only explanation for such a repeated falsehood is abject laziness or willful deception. Either way, the duplicity on this topic perhaps encapsulates the depressingly low trust most Americans place in major media, with 77 percent stating in a Monmouth University 2018 poll that traditional TV and newspapers report fake news. In addition, such lies as the Charlottesville Hoax needlessly further divide our already-polarized society.

Instead of hyper-partisan, distorted narratives, as American citizens we should demand adherence to truth -- and adherence to the common values that bind us regardless of politics. In the words of our president: “No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God.”

Steve Cortes is a contributor to RealClearPolitics and a CNN political commentator. His Twitter handle is @CortesSteve.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...neo-nazis_fine_people_heres_proof_139815.html

This is nothing but total rightwing bullshit. He used that situation to make a deliberate point to white supremists. You always have to wonder if he is stupid for saying things like this, or clever by seeming to be stupid by saying (which his base is not smart enough to understand), thus getting his point across by deception.

Either way, it is another example of how far from capable he is from managing the office he holds.

This is nothing but total rightwing bullshit. He used that situation to make a deliberate point to white supremists. You always have to wonder if he is stupid for saying things like this, or clever by seeming to be stupid by saying (which his base is not smart enough to understand), thus getting his point across by deception.

Either way, it is another example of how far from capable he is from managing the office he holds.
Once again, liberals deny reality. Liberals will do anything to keep all of their conspiracy theories a reality. All you have to do is ignore what your media masters have brainwashed you into thinking and take 1 minute and read the quote.

“Here are the unambiguous actual words of President Trump:“

Of course the transcript he links differs from what he writes.

If people show up at a rally with Nazi flags and Nazi chants, very fine people leave. It’s as simple as that. And it was the Unite the Right rally organized by Richard Spencer.

If people show up at a rally with Nazi flags and Nazi chants, very fine people leave. It’s as simple as that. And it was the Unite the Right rally organized by Richard Spencer.
was spencer a dem operative?

If you watched the actual press conference, which I did at the time, it was clear he was talking about people that were there to peacefully protest the removal of the monument.
This isn't about defending or attacking Trump, it's about the truth of what was actually said and that should matter to everyone.
Go back and watch the entire unedited video with an open mind.

If you watched the actual press conference, which I did at the time, it was clear he was talking about people that were there to peacefully protest the removal of the monument.
This isn't about defending or attacking Trump, it's about the truth of what was actually said and that should matter to everyone.
this. I got the impression he did not even know these torch bearers existed. Prior to this event I don't think they Did exist. I think it was staged and invented specifically for this event. I don't think he was talking about white right torch bearers vs antifa, I think he meant people who want to keep monuments vs those who dont. Good people on both sides of that argument.

58375280_650471568724115_2616597327736995840_n.png

Reactions: 7 Dunks
You have to view it in the context of Trump’s overall predisposition to give the benefit of the doubt to certain people or groups when a clear, unequivocal and immediate condemnation would be most appropriate.

Russia and the Trump administration are in full panic mode. The propaganda machine is working over drive pumping out dozens of these types of bullshit threads every day. I guess they need to if they hope to stay in power. If it weren't for Voldemort in the Senate, impeachment proceedings would have began a week ago.

Russia and the Trump administration are in full panic mode. The propaganda machine is working over drive pumping out dozens of these types of bullshit threads every day. I guess they need to if they hope to stay in power. If it weren't for Voldemort in the Senate, impeachment proceedings would have began a week ago.
The Russians are ecstatic. This is exactly what they want - a complete disruption of our country and they are aided and abetted by the Trumpsters like Northern.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
Speaking of propaganda...

Reactions: Chillyhoff
OP is right. Trump most certainly did not say, outright, "I, Donald J. Trump, love and favor white supremacists, Nazis, neo-Nazis, and the Confederacy."

Phew!

And OiT is right, too. Anything and anybody that could serve to paint the GOP and Conservatism in a bad light is likely a function of, and the result of, Democratic operatives. Them bastards with their skullduggery.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
You have to view it in the context of Trump’s overall predisposition to give the benefit of the doubt to certain people or groups when a clear, unequivocal and immediate condemnation would be most appropriate.
This. People who stand shoulder to shoulder with hate groups aren't fine people.

This is actually how I remember it. I felt the juxtaposition of the comments with what had just occurred was not good, but I believe he was clearly saying there are good people on both sides of the statue issue; not that there were good people on both sides of the violence.

O.K. He still didn't denounce the neo nazis like he should have. It was not a good look that he took the focus off the white supremacists by making some irrelevant point that there were people there that didn't believe the statues should be taken down that were not neo nazis. There really was no need to mention that. Even if you support Trump it should have made you cringe that he even mentioned it. He should have denounced white supremacy and the neo nazis just like everyone else did.

Reactions: 7 Dunks
I think it's funny and sad at the same time that the \
bar for our president has been lowered to "He didn't praise Nazis".

"Both sides". Hmm. Let's see. There were Nazi marchers and protesters against the Nazis. "Good people on both sides". If a person elected to office of president is not articulate enough to make a point without fvcking up, and expressing his actual views, he should simply STFU.

Speaking of propaganda...

Yes, the Trump administration is totally acting sane and innocent. I mean, all innocent people want the testimony and evidence that could exonerate them blocked from being viewed in court or Congress.

Nevermind that the OP's article is trying to change history with what the President said, and more importantly, how what he said was reported. Here's a clue, nobody is claiming the President said "fine people". The reason they aren't doing that is because he didn't say that. He said there were "good people" on both sides. So, while fine and good are basically synonyms, this article is trying to cast doubt on the "good people" quote by fomenting doubt and anger at the media with this "fine people" BS. It works, of course, because the people this makes feel better have zero critical thinking skills. That's what propaganda is.

This is actually how I remember it. I felt the juxtaposition of the comments with what had just occurred was not good, but I believe he was clearly saying there are good people on both sides of the statue issue; not that there were good people on both sides of the violence.

I tried to put that together but couldn't. It boils down to the bad optics idiom: you can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

Worthy thread. Liberals believe everything they hear from CNN, so it is our responsibility to educate them on the facts.
He also didn't make fun of a disabled person; at least not in the targeted way the media ran with. I'm no Trump fan, mind you, but I'm smart enough to realize he makes fun of everyone equally...Trump had been doing that handicap stumbling routine all through the primaries. He's like South Park, everyone's fair game. People are such pawns.

Remember...Alex Jones said he was crazy and lied about all of that stuff. No need to carry his torch.
no I don't recall him ever saying he lied about all this stuff. I don't recall michelle saying it's a lie either.

Last edited:
He also didn't make fun of a disabled person; at least not in the targeted way the media ran with. I'm no Trump fan, mind you, but I'm smart enough to realize he makes fun of everyone equally...Trump had been doing that handicap stumbling routine all through the primaries. He's like South Park, everyone's fair game. People are such pawns.
I always wanted a South Park-styled president.

Is this sarcasm? Sorry if so, because Trump obviously mocked that gentleman with the disability.

Why should we give air space to hate groups that are craving the attention? Does that do anything other than stir them up? Are you going to create an incident by giving them coverage as opposed to leaving it be?

ag·gran·dize
increase the power, status, or wealth of.
"an action intended to aggrandize the Frankish dynasty"
  • enhance the reputation of (someone) beyond what is justified by the facts.
    "he hoped to aggrandize himself by dying a hero's death"
dig·ni·fy
/ˈdiɡnəˌfī
  1. make (something) seem worthy and impressive.
  2. synonyms: distinguish, add distinction to, add dignity to, honor, bestow honor on, grace, adorn, exalt, enhance, add luster to, magnify, ennoble, glorify, elevate, make lofty, aggrandize, upgrade
  3. "they dignified their departure with a ceremony"
    • give an impressive name to (someone or something that one considers worthless).
      "dumps are increasingly dignified aslandfills"

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Just a note, that article OP linked to is from a guy who works on the Trump campaign, so not exactly an unbiased source. He appears regularly on CNN panel discussions.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that his statement was misunderstood, any decent person would have seen the blowback and release a statement the next day to clarify that he was not, in any way shape or form standing up for the neo-nazis at the rally. Most people took his comments as to mean he found moral equivalency between the two sides and he made no attempt to try to distinguish the pro-statue protestors and the neo-nazis.

Then again, as someone else said...if you find yourself on the same side as neo-nazis, you might want to rethink your position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT