ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for cautious optimism?

JFC. Why can't you concede that, despite Iowa's relative success, their horrible offense has precluded them from reaching the next level, when they have had the defense and special teams worthy of it? By next level I mean beating high-quality teams and truly competing for conference championships and playing in major bowl games, and not being embarrassed in games against good teams. No one is complaining about Iowa's wins. What is so damn frustrating is what's been a completely wasted opportunity of a narrow window that Iowa had to make noise on the national stage, largely due to KF knowing he could count on fans like you to be content with beating a bunch of average teams, while he could let his boy play coach.
I guess my issue here is the "narrow window" assumed by many here. We have yet to see just what the impact of the left coast teams have consistently on the B1G. The expansion of the playoffs to 12 teams certainly helps the chances of teams like Iowa to get a shot from time to time. At this point I don't see Iowa going anywhere but continuing to compete.

You dumb? If the offense was top 50 we were a playoff team three straight years
JFC. Why can't you concede that, despite Iowa's relative success, their horrible offense has precluded them from reaching the next level, when they have had the defense and special teams worthy of it? By next level I mean beating high-quality teams and truly competing for conference championships and playing in major bowl games, and not being embarrassed in games against good teams. No one is complaining about Iowa's wins. What is so damn frustrating is what's been a completely wasted opportunity of a narrow window that Iowa had to make noise on the national stage, largely due to KF knowing he could count on fans like you to be content with beating a bunch of average teams, while he could let his boy play coach.
Maybe so.

But you guys are pretty much making my point. The only reason conference title and playoff talk is even somewhat realistic is because of the level that KF has gotten the program to.

Ideals are great. And everyone wants to win more games. But if 4 team playoffs are your expectations, you're pretty much always going to end up being disappointed.

A coach doesn't get judged by ideals unless he's at a blue blood. Coaches around the country aren't getting ripped for not making the playoffs. And they don't even have their programs anywhere near as close to that ideal as Iowa is.

A coach gets judged realistically. When Iowa has only won 10 or more games 11 times in their history, 10 wins is a great season for Iowa. Being one of the most successful programs in the country for the last 8 or so seasons is very impressive. And having a winning program for near the entirety of 25 years has been a blessing to the state.

Iowa is in this position because of KF. Much more worthy of being praised than being ripped

I’m asking.

I thought last season Iowa would take it up another level, and yet the offense was complete trash once again.

I am excited for the new season but don’t want to feel the same let down. Yes, Brian is gone, but what other reasons are there for cautious optimism?

TIA
Defense
Special Teams
Phil Parker/Seth Wallace
LeVar Woods
Tim Lester

I just want competent offense. Reduce turnovers. Find an identity which I presume will probably be a running team. In the most simplest form if the D or ST hands you the ball inside the 20 punch the god damn ball in the EZ. I think/hope Lester can do it.

Defense
Special Teams
Phil Parker/Seth Wallace
LeVar Woods
Tim Lester

I just want competent offense. Reduce turnovers. Find an identity which I presume will probably be a running team. In the most simplest form if the D or ST hands you the ball inside the 20 punch the god damn ball in the EZ. I think/hope Lester can do it.
What a dream that'd be huh? Just imagine it...

Uncle. You just go ahead and die on this hill. I think you sound ridiculous trying to call me out with semantics and defending a very weak position, but whatever. If Brian was so bad 2 years ago.....which he was.....then why wasn't he let go then? Because Kirk didn't want him let go that's why. Only when the uproar became too loud was his hand finally forced. If you think that isn't true......then you are truly naive or just ain't paying attention.

My point, which you missed completely, was that the lack of offense wouldn't be a big deal if the defense was holding teams like PSU to 13 points. I could have said if we beat PSU 13-10 instead of lose 13-10.....I simply included one loss and one win in my example with the understanding that we will not win them all. To be a complete team you need to be able to win in different ways. Write me a diatribe on how you disagree with that.
So the lack of offense wouldn't be as big a deal if the defense were better than nationally elite? I agree, if Iowa had one of the best defenses of all-time, the lack of offense wouldn't be as big a deal. But somehow, I don't think that's what you're trying to really say.

Somehow, I think what you're really trying to say is exactly what you said in your initial post.

There are few complete teams (able to win in multiple ways) out there. A couple of them didn't have the record Iowa did. I'll take the 10 wins over being "complete". And the others are blue blood programs. Does Iowa deserve the extensive criticism for not being a blue blood?

That's the only position I defend. That the extensive criticism Iowa football receives is not warranted. I'm not sure how you could possibly call that a "very weak position".

Yes, there is a level of semantics to it. Because it's understandable for people to have some frustration with the offense. But my point is that the frustration should only go so far. Largely, the poor offense has been navigated around, and Iowa has still, by many measures, been very successful. Overall, Iowa fans should be very satisfied.

Fans that are overall dissatisfied are wrong. They have no case rooted in football logic. Their claim that, "the extensive criticism of Iowa football has been warranted", wouldn't even make it into Football Court. A prosecutor wouldn't even accept the case. Upon the negative fans having sought his representation, the prosecutor would begin to look at the case. He would start to notice points that could be made on each side. And he would quickly decide not to accept the case, telling the negative fans that their claim has some validity, but ultimately they had no case, and to come back after a couple of seasons where Iowa has only won 7 or 6 games. It's that simple.

The case that dissatisfied fans think they have stems almost entirely from the fact that they haven't been entertained. Very little "football logic" to support it.

You are truly naive or not paying attention if you think AD's aren't capable doing their job without the uproar of fans or in spite of the head coach's desires. Kirk may not have wanted Brian let go, but he doesn't get to make those decisions.

No, Barta hadn't yet done it, but with the 25pt stipulation it appeared that he was laying the groundwork to let Brian go. The Iowa way has been to keep their trust in their people longer than most places do. And it has traditionally paid off for them. The uproar of the fans was plenty loud enough in BF's 2nd to last season.

And you continue to get it wrong when you say, "only when the uproar became too loud was his hand finally forced". BF didn't leave because Kirk's hand got forced. BF was let go by Goetz

Read better
91t4c8.jpg

Last edited:
How'd the B1G Championship and bowl game go? The fact we lost the championship actually took away a potential extra game we could have played in the playoffs.

Bro's name is eyesofhawk but is blind to anything but his own disingenuous opinion lmao
2Dude - this is why I told you from the start that what you are talking about has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Your question has been answered several times throughout this thread and for months on end

2Dude - this is why I told you from the start that what you are talking about has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Your question has been answered several times throughout this thread and for months on end
I'm surprised you haven't realized I've been trolling you this whole time. Your arguments are always so disingenuous I never actually read them anymore. I just wanted to waste your time.

Seems like a good exit strategy
Why would I need an exit strategy when I could argue circles around your horseshit logic? I just like to mess with you because your beliefs are misguided and disingenuous. Why else do you think everyone cooks you when you spout your nonsense? Messing with you is just a way to kill time before Saturday.

Points prevented have the same value as points scored.
This right here proves my point. Stopping the opponent from scoring 0 while you yourself have 0 points means you can't win. Scoring points is factually how you win a game. You can't win a game without scoring a point. You must score to win. Therefore, scored points are more valuable than points prevented. Both the offense and defense play a role in winning a game. But you continue to act like the offensive part of football is negligible. Just plain stupid logic.

Why would I need an exit strategy when I could argue circles around your horseshit logic? I just like to mess with you because your beliefs are misguided and disingenuous. Why else do you think everyone cooks you when you spout your nonsense? Messing with you is just a way to kill time before Saturday.

This right here proves my point. Stopping the opponent from scoring 0 while you yourself have 0 points means you can't win. Scoring points is factually how you win a game. You can't win a game without scoring a point. You must score to win. Therefore, scored points are more valuable than points prevented. Both the offense and defense play a role in winning a game. But you continue to act like the offensive part of football is negligible. Just plain stupid logic.
Read better

I’m asking.

I thought last season Iowa would take it up another level, and yet the offense was complete trash once again.

I am excited for the new season but don’t want to feel the same let down. Yes, Brian is gone, but what other reasons are there for cautious optimism?

TIA
Cautious optimism is truly the calling card of Iowa football isn't it? We wouldn't want anyone to think we had swagger.

That's what I thought.

I'm not sure if your reading comprehension or your ability to form an argument is worse. I've been going back and forth in my head about it
I'd start waffling too if I were you after I eviscerated your point. You say you're happy to talk, but when the chips are down you go into coward mode. It really is that easy.

I'd start waffling too if I were you after I eviscerated your point. You say you're happy to talk, but when the chips are down you go into coward mode. It really is that easy.
Dude, you and I really haven't been talking about the same thing all along. At the same, time I've given plenty of material in this thread that would serve as a response to your "points".

But for the sake of clarification, I'm here, and so far you've declined

Dude, you and I really haven't been talking about the same thing all along. At the same, time I've given plenty of material in this thread that would serve as a response to your "points".

But for the sake of clarification, I'm here, and so far you've declined

You: Read what I said
Me: Directly quotes and responds to a point you've made
You: Read better

Now that I've caught you, you're just posting word salad responses. Counter the point or leave.

You: Read what I said
Me: Directly quotes and responds to a point you've made
You: Read better

Now that I've caught you, you're just posting word salad responses. Counter the point or leave.
What point have you made that hasn't already been covered? I'm truly asking because I couldn't tell you.

This is your opportunity to clarify. Take it or leave it

What point have you made that hasn't already been covered? I'm truly asking because I couldn't tell you.

This is your opportunity to clarify. Take it or leave it
So you really won't address what I've said, instead you'll just lean on "previous posts" of yours? Whew, that's weak even for you.

This is fun - baiting Authoritarians!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT