ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting complaints and NIL

A whole lot of stupid in this thread. Par for the course though.

Our response to NIL was hiring two white bozos and self-proclaimed "marketing experts" to run an NIL collective that lacks any sort of originality and creativity. The IC NIL Club is one of the worst marketing rollouts I've seen at the D1 level, just god-awful scripted Twitter videos with every player saying the same thing.

You'd think after our recent racial tensions within the program, the University would strive to bring in a diverse set of people to help lead these young men. It's disappointing but not surprising.
Are you calling @Tx_Hawk a bozo? Do you know that the athletic department can not do much? If you know so much, why don't you self appoint yourself? You sound like a smart BOZO.

Reactions: mtown66
Are you calling @Tx_Hawk a bozo? Do you know that the athletic department can not do much? If you know so much, why don't you self appoint yourself? You sound like a smart BOZO.
Not sure why I'm lumped in here, but I wouldn't waste much time on a poster who hasn't taken the 2 seconds it takes to discover that the NIL club and the swarm collective are two different things. But I wouldn't want to get in the way of a good clueless rant.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Not sure why I'm lumped in here, but I wouldn't waste much time on a poster who hasn't taken the 2 seconds it takes to discover that the NIL club and the swarm collective are two different things. But I wouldn't want to get in the way of a good clueless rant.
I'm aware of both, and both are run by middle aged white men.

If you can't see the importance of having POC in positions that lead young men and help introduce them to marketing and business opportunities, no point in arguing.

If you can't see the importance of having POC in positions that lead young men and help introduce them to marketing and business opportunities, no point in arguing.
Because they stepped up and volunteered? I am not arguing with you but I say again, if a POC is so important to you then go find a POC and start another NIL Collective. I am sure all money is green so it doesn't matter where it comes from. You seem to go after the racial agenda so have at it.

Yes. We have the Iowa City NIL Club, a players' collective, which is an egalitarian and for-profit subscription service ($199 per person, per year); the Swarm Collective, which is a donor- and crowd-funded non-profit, and then there's an affiliated thing they are calling a collective, but it's not paying guys. It's more of a middle-man or clearing-house, as I understand it, facilitating advertising deals between individuals and businesses.

My issue with all of that is that the non-profit is limited in how much they can pay guys, and none of those involve directly paying high-performing individuals.

And I don't agree that this strategy, without a way of paying top-performers, is a good one for us.

"You will get paid as you develop and look at our track record with our NFL picks" might work for certain positions and against certain schools. But if we're competing with Alabama, Michigan or Ohio State for a guy, they can get paid now AND develop and get paid as a pro. And if we're competing against almost anyone for a WR, HB or dual-threat QB, we can't claim to develop them better or claim they'll get paid as a pro. We don't have that track record.

I think we could see our WR recruiting decline even more with our current strategy.
Agree. Im sick of hearing that Iowa doesn't want the guys that want all this NIL money. Are we living in a fantasy land? This isn't monopoly money. Since when does anyone in the real word say to themselves....Im going to turn down 200k because my current job does things the right way? Because you want to maximize your pay doesn't make you a bad person. Dont we all look at pay as pretty much a top priority when looking for a job/career? Sure Iowa can get guys to the pros, but I'm pretty sure the other teams that want the higher profile recruits can too.

Last edited:

Really because earlier you wrote we hired……..
You’re clueless and have proved it post after post.

I’m no super wealthy donor, but I do know and am exposed to some our top-flight donors and families.

I can tell you with full confidence that there are multiple individuals with suites at Kinnick who have been pressing Barta to open a collective similar to what the SEC is doing; where alumni can simply dump lump sums of $$ into a singular fund that’s used to attract potential recruits.

Barta does not agree with this approach. He isn’t outright against NIL, but he believes money should come from businesses or marketing agreements where the player is sharing their exposure and likeness and not just receiving a flat fee for joining the team.

This is why Iowa basketball lost out on portal kids to mediocre programs like Ole Miss.
Their are tax/legal reasons for iowa’s approach.

Bingo. And this isn't just impacting football. Basketball team lost out on multiple day-1 impact players to far worse programs simply because they couldn't match what was being offered.

I really struggle to believe that Iowa can't muster up $200K and a car for the most prized recruits. There are families in Iowa City that would pay that fee themselves. We just lack any sort of creativity and Barta is approaching this with an outdated mentality

Ok good then go away.

You do know there are two distinct NIL collectives, right? And the Swarm Collective has two distinct lanes itself, the one where all who choose to participate get paid the same and the other part is just a middle man hooking up the athletes with businesses. The latter one is the one which could pay more to individual athletes.

I’m not sure why you insist they must have a certain background to be good at it. You might want to do some research on the former Iowa athlete running the Swarm Collective and the fundraiser for them. They are plenty qualified for it. And the one who volunteered to step up to organize it, Tx_Hawk, threw in $100k himself to get it started. If you don’t like it I’m sure you can start your own.

If you feel that's the key to success, why don't you get that ball rolling? If I were to venture a guess, you're a middle-aged white man virtue signaling and complaining about 2 other middle-aged white men who actually give a damn and decided to do SOMETHING. That something is doing a hell of a lot more to put money in our players' pockets than what you're doing.

It's honestly amusing that you think the skin color of the 2 people who've stepped up to put money in the players' pockets is a big factor. Do you think they'd rather get money from a collective ran by 2 middle-aged white dudes or no money at all?

I've already donated and if you can get a POC NIL off the ground, let me know and I'll donate to that as well. I won't hold my breath.

Bingo. And this isn't just impacting football. Basketball team lost out on multiple day-1 impact players to far worse programs simply because they couldn't match what was being offered.

I really struggle to believe that Iowa can't muster up $200K and a car for the most prized recruits. There are families in Iowa City that would pay that fee themselves. We just lack any sort of creativity and Barta is approaching this with an outdated mentality.
Yeah sure, tons of people that will shell out cash to make your Saturday a little happier…tons, I’m telling you tons

Reactions: kceasthawk
Soon (in the next 6-18 months) every major college football program will have their NIL/Collective graded the same way Rivals grades HS prospects.

I'm not sure if Iowa will be a 5-star NIL/Collective, 0-star, or 3-star. What I do know is that every recruit in the U.S. will know each program's ranking, and that it will factor (to some degree) into their commitment decision.

Hopefully, the Hawks have (or, will have) a 3-star or better NIL/Collective.

Soon (in the next 6-18 months) every major college football program will have their NIL/Collective graded the same way Rivals grades HS prospects.

I'm not sure if Iowa will be a 5-star NIL/Collective, 0-star, or 3-star. What I do know is that every recruit in the U.S. will know each program's ranking, and that it will factor (to some degree) into their commitment decision.

Hopefully, the Hawks have (or, will have) a 3-star or better NIL/Collective.
I think the collectives will ebb and flow. I cant imagine fans will donate as much to any program when they having a run of bad seasons. Imagine Iowa fans if we had back to back losing seasons. Things could spiral downhill quickly as the program gets worse they have less money to bring in better players.

I think the collectives will ebb and flow. I cant imagine fans will donate as much to any program when they having a run of bad seasons. Imagine Iowa fans if we had back to back losing seasons. Things could spiral downhill quickly as the program gets worse they have less money to bring in better players.
Similar to recruiting...a 10-2 season results in better recruiting class & NIL/Collective donations the following year than a 6-6 season does.

You do know there are two distinct NIL collectives, right? And the Swarm Collective has two distinct lanes itself, the one where all who choose to participate get paid the same and the other part is just a middle man hooking up the athletes with businesses. The latter one is the one which could pay more to individual athletes.

I’m not sure why you insist they must have a certain background to be good at it. You might want to do some research on the former Iowa athlete running the Swarm Collective and the fundraiser for them. They are plenty qualified for it. And the one who volunteered to step up to organize it, Tx_Hawk, threw in $100k himself to get it started. If you don’t like it I’m sure you can start your own.
Mepo—Thanks for the kind words and for sticking up for me.

I’m not sure how my race has anything to do with this. It is true, though, that I’m a middle aged white guy who is trying to help Iowa athletics (of all races) be successful, and I’m trying to help all viable charities (who focus on various races) to also be successful.

Yes, I have put $100k in to this at the onset, and that number continues to climb and I’m not taking a penny out of it. Bash me if you want….and if somebody else wants to step up in a huge way and take this on then let me know.
Until then, Go effing Hawks!

Last edited:
Mepo—Thanks for the kind words and for sticking up for me.

I’m not sure how my race has anything to do with this. It is true, though, that I’m a middle aged white guy who is trying to help Iowa athletics (of all races) be successful, and I’m trying to help all viable charities (who focus on various races) to also be successful.

Yes, I have put $100k in to this at the onset, and that number continues to climb and I’m not taking a penny out of it. Bash me if you want….and if somebody else wants to step up in a huge way and take this on then let me know.
Until then, Go effing Hawks!
Dude, again, the team is filled with young black men from a diverse background. Having the collective have no POC is a giant miss.

What black owned businesses are you connecting them with in Iowa City?

What black leaders are you connecting them with for mentorship outside of football?

And spare me the “not sure why my race matters” bullshit. If you don’t think it does, you shouldn’t be in this position. Nobody is saying you can’t be apart of it, simply saying not having other minorities help lead the way is a huge fail and any decent marketing person would know that.

I do find it strange that a school would care about that there grades. Weird times.

Iowa probably should have just ignored that the school itself is now allowed to give $5,980 per year for academic performance and just kept that money to buy some new chairs for Gary's office.
We are talking about athletes chief.
Nil was not made for academics Derp

Many so called bench warmers are important. Carson May and most of last years class will not see the field this year other than garbage time. If our first or second string RB gets injured the third stringer will see playing time. Our second and third string LBs will be very important next year when our outstanding ones leave this year.
And when that happens he can be paid then. If he's not even playing in games he should be VERY happy with the 10s of thousands in benefits he will already be receiving each year.
Hell they probably aren't too far off what a minor league baseball player makes.

Last edited:
Gold.
Coaches just spend time with players even if they don’t help the team.
What a maroon.
Tell me brainiac....how are elite athletes, that aren't great at academics, gonna feel when some bench warmers is paid instead of them? How many schools doing this dumb crap?? Huh genius??

There’s a reason Iowa’s the one and only school doing a collective that way…its the only one dumb enough to waste resources on the third string women’s basketball player or 2nd string walk-on kicker by paying them the same as the starting QB…get effing real
Like cardale said many of the top athletes "ain't come to play school"....

The increasing number of early draft entries clearly shows that

Tell me brainiac....how are elite athletes, that aren't great at academics, gonna feel when some bench warmers is paid instead of them? How many schools doing this dumb crap?? Huh genius??
Uh - not how it works.
Only one part of the program is equal pay. Other part is based on market value.
Again - you’re clueless.

Reactions: RothMatt
Dude, again, the team is filled with young black men from a diverse background. Having the collective have no POC is a giant miss.

What black leaders are you connecting them with for mentorship outside of football?

And spare me the “not sure why my race matters” bullshit. If you don’t think it does, you shouldn’t be in this position. Nobody is saying you can’t be apart of it, simply saying not having other minorities help lead the way is a huge fail and any decent marketing person would know that.
Why don’t you contact him directly and offer your help instead of attacking the one person who actually stepped up and did something about it. Without him it would probably be still in the planning stages. What good are you doing by complaining about it anonymously on a message board?

Why don’t you contact him directly and offer your help instead of attacking the one person who actually stepped up and did something about it. Without him it would probably be still in the planning stages. What good are you doing by complaining about it anonymously on a message board?

Read through the thread, the second the importance of diversity came up posters started saying some outlandish stuff. Not going to be quiet when I see things like that.

Shouldn't need to message someone privately to explain the importance of diversity and representation at this level.

Read through the thread, the second the importance of diversity came up posters started saying some outlandish stuff. Not going to be quiet when I see things like that.

Shouldn't need to message someone privately to explain the importance of diversity and representation at this level.
Obviously you have ideas so why not reach out instead of just complaining. Sounds like you don’t really care just want something to complain about. Despite the lack of diversity you claim he’s still doing way more than you are including throwing his own money in the ring to get it started. How much have you done?

Obviously you have ideas so why not reach out instead of just complaining. Sounds like you don’t really care just want something to complain about. Despite the lack of diversity you claim he’s still doing way more than you are including throwing his own money in the ring to get it started. How much have you done?
Nothing

Agree. Im sick of hearing that Iowa doesn't want the guys that want all this NIL money. Are we living in a fantasy land? This isn't monopoly money. Since when does anyone in the real word say to themselves....Im going to turn down 200k because my current job does things the right way? Because you want to maximize your pay doesn't make you a bad person. Dont we all look at pay as pretty much a top priority when looking for a job/career? Sure Iowa can get guys to the pros, but I'm pretty sure the other teams that want the higher profile recruits can too.
Exactly! And it's f***ing hypocritical, in my opinion, for coaches to imply players are low-character for pursuing that while making multiple hundreds of thousands (assistants) or millions (head coaches) per year - especially because coaches can get paid into their 80s, while players are usually done by their early 30s.

I'll also throw this out there. Remember last decade, when Wisconsin had that crazy run? We all agree the biggest difference was the run of running backs they had (Melvin Gordon, etc), right? I mean, their WRs were also a bit better, but I've already talked about that.

Anyway, imagine we have a string of guys like that in the current era. Think about how, even if running backs make the pros, even if they're the now-rare 1st or 2nd round guy, their careers (especially as starters) are over in a few years and they're treated as disposable in the NFL.

Given all that, if we had a Melvin Gordon type and Alabama offered him $1 million or $2 million per year for his true Sophomore and Junior seasons, and we're going to give him the same $2,000-$3,000 per month as the backup forward on the women's basketball team, why the hell wouldn't he do it, knowing he's only going to have 3-5 years as an NFL starter (if he's lucky)?

Also, I think I saw that our revenue last year was $128 million, of which "only" $57 million was from the Big Ten's media rights deal. So, $71 million from merchandising, ticket sales and donors. And the new media rights deal is expected to jump the payout from the Big Ten to near $100 million per team, per year.

So, I see a gain of $40 million+ in the media deal in a couple years and I see other programs running on far less than what we'll get from media rights alone and you *cannot* tell me we won't be able to afford to redirect some of that donor money to set aside $10-$20 million to pay players to do commercials or talk at dinners or whatever. And that's before considering all the crowd funding possibilities (I was never going to donate to the athletic department; I'm donating to collectives). So, I don't want to hear that Iowa can't afford to compete in this arena. If we don't do it, it's because we choose not to.

Last edited:
Our response to NIL was hiring two white bozos and self-proclaimed "marketing experts" to run an NIL collective that lacks any sort of originality and creativity. The IC NIL Club is one of the worst marketing rollouts I've seen at the D1 level, just god-awful scripted Twitter videos with every player saying the same thing.

You'd think after our recent racial tensions within the program, the University would strive to bring in a diverse set of people to help lead these young men. It's disappointing but not surprising.
There were two damn jobs that you describe as being filled by ''two white bozos''. It is not like they had a couple of hundred jobs to fill and they filled every job with a white guy.
If you really believe that a task can not be accomplished or leadership can not be achieved by two whites without one of them giving up their duties to a black guy in the name of diversity, then you are a racist fool.
Some people will not be happy until every job is occupied by some race of people other that whites.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez

Pretty sure if some black bozos wanted to set one up they can knock themselves out and do it. Just maybe you could step up and find a couple to get it going. Or you can be the a-hole you are

Name the black business men that have stepped up to the plate.. If any were interested they would have come forward by themselves and not have to be recruited to help. You are probably the biggest tool on this board and that is saying something

Really? I'm not sure why you would single out Iowa fans in this regard. regardless of the vocal minority of this board Hawkeye fans are tried and true. Something Hayden talked about when he arrived. Watching film of Iowa and their losing seasons and 50k fans in Kinnick. During the turnaround amidst the farm crisis the fans came. Hawk fans will do whats required.
Frankly, when is the last time that Iowa, under KF has had a "run of bad seasons"? We're not going anywhere...

Really? I'm not sure why you would single out Iowa fans in this regard. regardless of the vocal minority of this board Hawkeye fans are tried and true. Something Hayden talked about when he arrived. Watching film of Iowa and their losing seasons and 50k fans in Kinnick. During the turnaround amidst the farm crisis the fans came. Hawk fans will do whats required.
Frankly, when is the last time that Iowa, under KF has had a "run of bad seasons"? We're not going anywhere...
Relax, I was using Iowa as an example because this is an Iowa board. I think the same holds true for any fan base. How often do you hear that people are going to stop going to games, donating etc when we have down years because the product on the field isn't worth it. Again, this isn't just an Iowa problem, its an issue you will see everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT