ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits are coming to town this weekend

Aaron Brooks destroyed him.

I wouldn't let Hidlay's loss to Brooks dampen any enthusiasm for Trent. Those guys were going for broke with some of their moves. Brooks clearly had the upper hand in freestyle, but his first four-point move would likely not be a takedown in folkstyle. After Brooks got ahead early, it changed the dynamic of the match. Hidlay would be a great upper weight addition. We need him. TnT can chase Brooks next year. (Plenty of guys have gotten their a@@ kicked in Fargo, and gone on to have early success in college. Cenzo almost got teched his senior year; Gross finished sixth his senior year; etc.)

As for the hole at 133, I'm hoping for a miracle as I have no idea what the plan is. Teske -- your country needs you.

This is a rather disappointing list for it being our biggest recruiting weekend of the year. Lots of big names missing. Maybe just not a lot of big names interested in the Hawks this year?

A ton have already committed and many that haven't already have visible leans.

Parris is the biggest recruit left and he is leaning UofM and Iowa didn't recruit him anyway.
Sasso is the one I thought you guys would get. Metcalf rumors change this?
Hidlay is the highest left on the board after the above 2 and it looks like Iowa has a great chance.
Carr is all but tOSU bound.

After this you have guys like Brayton Lee(never an Iowa interest), Brooks(maybe), Rider(?), Hardy, Glory, Gissendanner and Teske.

That is pretty much it in the Top 50. Of those I would only really want to see the Full Court Press on Sasso, Hidlay, Brooks and Teske. If they managed to land 2 of those, I would be ecstatic.

With the above said, I agree with Herkylian that jumping at the Class of 2019 early and hard is the way to go. PSU, regardless of their crazy funding, has to have blown their wad with the 2018 recruiting class. You don't recruit 6 of the top 13 without tying up a bunch of money. Pinpoint your need weights and go at the very best 2019 has to offer!

Edited to add: If Teske is really another PSU in this class, that is RIDICULOUS. But, it only furthers my point that 2019 is the class that needs full attention!

MAYBE 3-4 AA finishes in this list. Falling even further behind PSU, tOSU, Okie State, etc. What a joke.

I assume Iowa is after McHenry as a 2019 recruit. Anyone know if we have a legitimate shot at him?

I assume Iowa is after McHenry as a 2019 recruit. Anyone know if we have a legitimate shot at him?

IMO, assumptions are the Mother of all F ups. I'd like that in theory...kid has some of that Iowa attitude in him. But I wouldn't look past a Cornell or tOSU type.

IMO, assumptions are the Mother of all F ups. I'd like that in theory...kid has some of that Iowa attitude in him. But I wouldn't look past a Cornell or tOSU type.
Cooperman cornered McHenry at Worlds. Cornell has been floating around which would make sense given his school.

Reactions: IAChief32

McHenry is a world class talent obviously, but will he ever be truly big enough for 125?

You're joking right? Zero chance he goes to Iowa. I think he's better than Lee and has higher upside, but he'll end up at tOSU or PSU. He'd fit in good at Michigan as well.

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
You're joking right? Zero chance he goes to Iowa. I think he's better than Lee and has higher upside, but he'll end up at tOSU or PSU. He'd fit in good at Michigan as well.

Maybe you are right that he doesn't come to Iowa, I have no clue. But he would fit in well anywhere and there is no better place to train than Iowa for a guy his size.

I would wait and see how he does at the junior level before claiming he is better them Lee.

Yeah, I would have liked to see him wrestle Juniors this year, but he never lost at Cadet trials to give him a reason to bump. I don't expect him to lose in the state finals either. But weirder things have happened.

A ton have already committed and many that haven't already have visible leans.

Parris is the biggest recruit left and he is leaning UofM and Iowa didn't recruit him anyway.
Sasso is the one I thought you guys would get. Metcalf rumors change this?
Hidlay is the highest left on the board after the above 2 and it looks like Iowa has a great chance.
Carr is all but tOSU bound.

After this you have guys like Brayton Lee(never an Iowa interest), Brooks(maybe), Rider(?), Hardy, Glory, Gissendanner and Teske.

That is pretty much it in the Top 50. Of those I would only really want to see the Full Court Press on Sasso, Hidlay, Brooks and Teske. If they managed to land 2 of those, I would be ecstatic.

With the above said, I agree with Herkylian that jumping at the Class of 2019 early and hard is the way to go. PSU, regardless of their crazy funding, has to have blown their wad with the 2018 recruiting class. You don't recruit 6 of the top 13 without tying up a bunch of money. Pinpoint your need weights and go at the very best 2019 has to offer!

Edited to add: If Teske is really another PSU in this class, that is RIDICULOUS. But, it only furthers my point that 2019 is the class that needs full attention!
Iowa wrestling has become the new "wait till next year" team it seems.

Reactions: Nitt Fan and el dub
Tea leaves are not signed NLI's, so until then anything is possible, as we've seen repeatedly.

Iowa wrestling has become the new "wait till next year" team it seems.
Except last year when we landed the top recruiting class or when we got 2 of the top transfers in the country to come to our program this off season or when we got one of the top HWT prospects in this class a huge need weight.

The Lugo transfer is huge. It gave us a much more proven commodity than any 149lber recruit out there and we still get 2 years out of him.

If there is a weight that the Brands can pull some magic it is 125/133 and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a transfer in the off season, if we don't land someone by then.

Last edited:
Not a troll. Just saying why would he come to Iowa with Spencer Lee penciled into the lineup? Especially if he ends up red-shirting this year.
Would be interesting to see a poll of the college coaches to see what recruit they would rather have man 125 for 4 years. I have a pretty good idea how that would come out.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
Except last year when we landed the top recruiting class or when we got 2 of the top transfers in the country to come to our program this off season or when we got one of the top HWT prospects in this class a huge need weight.

The Lugo transfer is huge. It gave us a much more proven commodity than any 149lber recruit out there and we still get 2 years out of him.

If there is a weight that the Brands can pull some magic it is 125/133 and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a transfer in the off season, if we don't land someone by then. Or maybe one of the solid 141lbers we have in the room with just as much credentials, Murin or Happel, as Teske decide to be big 133lber vs an undersized 133 Teske.
I'm pumped about Lee and Warner no doubt. Excited about the Bull but he's in a rough weight class for next few yrs.
Pretty much a thud since then.
I'm not doing back flips over a transfer that went 2-2 at nationals when a top p4p guy 3 hrs away, who grew up coached by a hawk, went to school with a current hawk, and wanted to be a hawk, instead ended up at PSU. Or a handful of others. Need to beat PSU in the arms race at some point.

Would be interesting to see a poll of the college coaches to see what recruit they would rather have man 125 for 4 years. I have a pretty good idea how that would come out.

Not really a fair question. One guy is two years older than the other. Pretty cool you have an in in the coaches circle though.

I'm pumped about Lee and Warner no doubt. Excited about the Bull but he's in a rough weight class for next few yrs.
I'm not doing back flips over a transfer that went 2-2 at nationals when a top p4p guy 3 hrs away, who grew up coached by a hawk, went to school with a current hawk, and wanted to be a hawk, instead ended up at PSU. Or a handful of others. Need to beat PSU in the arms race at some point.

"Thud since then"? There have been 0 recruiting classes since Lee and Warner signed.

Teske, who I do like very much and want to be a Hawk, isn't what most would call a "top p4p" guy. That said, for all I know, maybe you were referring to someone else.

"Thud since then"? There have been 0 recruiting classes since Lee and Warner signed.

Teske, who I do like very much and want to be a Hawk, isn't what most would call a "top p4p" guy. That said, for all I know, maybe you were referring to someone else.
Berge.
And yes I'm counting this year's recruiting class so far.

I truly believe that Berg is going to wish he did not go to Penn State.
Can't see where he will fit in the line up..BWI was saying 149 for a year but now
they think Lee for 149, Rby 133, Teasdale 141 but guess is a nice problem to have top 10 guys back ups for almost any weight..

Plus it doesn't get mentioned nearly as much as PSU's ludacris recruiting class, but Ohio State's recruiting class for 2018 is somehow also outstanding. How Ohio State keeps recruiting like this is crazy as well. Look at their current commits for 2018:

Gavin Hoffman- Top 11 P4P, World Teamer

Rocky Jordan- Just another Jordan. All they do is high AA regardless of rank. Also, under ranked because he did not compete in Ironman and does not Freestyle. He is going to jump big time after this year's Ironman if he performs like he is capable against 4 of the 8 guys ranked ahead of him.

Jaden Mattox- Top 20 P4P, kid has beaten David Carr three times now. He is a Stud, flat out.

Malik Heinselman- Two time World Team member already. Ranked 14th P4P. Stud.

Nate Keaton- OH State Champ, Fargo AA, ranked top 15 in his weight class

Jashon Hubbard- 3 time Ohio State Placer already. Beat the Streets kid. Super athlete and late bloomer. Unranked right now, I suspect that will be changing sooner rather than later as he is entered in the Ironman this year.

Kyle Gruber- OH State Placer, is a depth guy for 133 currently and could develop over time and contribute. Good friends and same high school as David Carr as a bonus.

Plus: Decatur twins already locked up for 2019. They are also considerred the favorite to land David Carr and are in on Brooks, Amos, and Brady among others.

Last edited:

How about Cassioppi?

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
How about Cassioppi?
Nice recruit and should slide in nicely in a couple years but how long before we think he's honestly going to be scoring 20-plus team points at Nationals? I highly doubt it will be his redshirt freshman or sophomore years.
We are Iowa wrestling. Not Nebraska, not Ohio State, not Minnesota. We should be landing one or two top 5 pound-for-pound Blue Chips every single recruiting class, on top of the Cassiopi, Nelson brands etc... That's what it's going to take to knock off Penn State.
Lee and Warner looked like a start to this but now we're right back in the middle of the pack again it seems.

Reactions: herkcy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT