ADVERTISEMENT

Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman says homophobic slur on air.

Yes George Brett and his best friend Rushbo hail from Kansas City...

RushGolf090909.Par.88331.ImageFile.jpg

Kansas City, of course. " I'm gon'in to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come. They got that pretty little@WorldSeriesChamps2015, and I'm gonna give him some..."

The Bretts grew up in El Segundo in a house my grandfather sold them. Was in the same class as my aunt at El a Segundo high. I have a class reunion yearbook signed by him. He built a real nice home right on Manhattan Beach, but I’m sure he’s sold it by now

CSB

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Can we just get a straight-up apology? I'm so tired of the "If anyone was offended" or "To those who are offended"....just apologize without the qualifiers.

I also cringed when I heard him add "...it's not who I am". I'm not going to say that's who he is because I don't know him, but character is what you do (or say) when no one is watching.

Caveat - I have not heard the clip, but am relying on what I am reading here.

I HATE the cancel culture stuff generally...but this was not a simple slip of the tongue or the innocent use of an ambiguous or even clearly offensive word. For those situations I don't like the rush to "cancel" someone and their life's work, etc.

This wasn't that though...this was a deliberate description of others and a purposeful denigration of them. I am just fine with him not being welcome to return as the announcer in that case.

The tone of the remark was pretty much as damning as it gets. Let's face it, if any of us were to say the same remark, in the same manner, within earshot of either our employer or customers/clients, etc. most of us would be sacked just as quickly as Thom may have been.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Most played song in America is 4 minutes of a former stripper prostitute talking about her wet ass pussy, potus elected after being heard talking about grabbing pussy, every rap song has repeated use of N word, and we're firing people for using a gay slur. It's pretty ridiculous what WORDS do and don't anymore offend us anymore... along with our willingness to be so selective about which context they're permitted.
Suspend and fine him for a few weeks and move on with life.

Most played song in America is 4 minutes of a former stripper prostitute talking about her wet ass pussy, potus elected after being heard talking about grabbing pussy, every rap song has repeated use of N word, and we're firing people for using a gay slur. It's pretty ridiculous what WORDS do and don't anymore offend us anymore... along with our willingness to be so selective about which context they're permitted.

What is the appropriate context for using the term "fag"?

Except he doesn't build bridges. He utters words for a job. And he f'd that up.

Build a 100 bridges and only one falls down and people think i should be fired from bridge building.

a guy made a mistake and you’re wanting to tear him down. That’s what I don’t understand.

have him apologize and move on

What is the appropriate context for using the term "fag"?
There isn't one. Just like there probably isn't one for a lot of the words we hear. But is it something we really think warrants ending careers over at this point? He's not advocating going Taliban ISIS on the gay community and throwing them off buildings. Sorry if I'm numb to offensive words at this point but how is anyone not?

There isn't one. Just like there probably isn't one for a lot of the words we hear. But is it something we really think warrants ending careers over at this point? He's not advocating going Taliban ISIS on the gay community and throwing them off buildings. Sorry if I'm numb to offensive words at this point but how is anyone not?

Is that really your threshold for what is considered offensive? Good god.

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
You don’t fire him because the word was so awful. You fire him because he monumentally f—-ed up his job.

Rule 1 of professional broadcasting - assume the mic is always on, and abide by standards.

He completely screwed up the most basic aspect of broadcasting. How anyone can have a problem with his employer shit-canning him boggles the mind.

a guy made a mistake and you’re wanting to tear him down. That’s what I don’t understand.

Pretty sure if my company had me on TV and I referred to a place as the fag capitol of the world, I would be fired. Wouldn't you?

Its not that he said the word fag. He wasn't fired for saying it in his living room where nobody heard it. He didn't just call something gay as a synonym for stupid. He referred to a place as the fag capitol. Clearly an intention derogatory statement and he made it on live TV.

You don’t fire him because the word was so awful. You fire him because he monumentally f—-ed up his job.

Rule 1 of professional broadcasting - assume the mic is always on, and abide by standards.

He completely screwed up the most basic aspect of broadcasting. How anyone can have a problem with his employer shit-canning him boggles the mind.
OK. If that's the reason, truly the reason, fine. But its Thom Brenneman. He's proven to be a pretty damn good announcer and done a lot of big events. It's he really bad at his job or did he make a big mistake?

The Bretts grew up in El Segundo in a house my grandfather sold them. Was in the same class as my aunt at El a Segundo high. I have a class reunion yearbook signed by him. He built a real nice home right on Manhattan Beach, but I’m sure he’s sold it by now

CSB
Can you ask him if he's seen my wallet?

It had my jimmy hats. I got to get it, got got to get it.

Fist of all, a mistake is leaving the house for work and then realizing you don't have your wallet or phone w/you. Saying Kansas City is one of the fag capitals of the United States is not a mistake. You clearly meant it or you wouldn't have said it. There's not getting around it. I don't care if they fire him or not. If they do he's got a lot of work to do to ever get hired again. Mattski, not sure what you do for a living, but if you are in sales do you walk into your customer and say "Damn, there's a lot of fags around this place." I"m guessing even you can understand the point here. It's not cancel culture. He's shown his true self. Again, I'm fine either way. If the Reds want to just reprimand him and hopefully he truly can change then that's fine. Or if his ass gets canned I'm also fine with that as well.

I-Cubs announcer

Saying it on the air was a mistake. His f'd up mindset isn't. Bye, Tom

Caveat - I have not heard the clip, but am relying on what I am reading here.

I HATE the cancel culture stuff generally...but this was not a simple slip of the tongue or the innocent use of an ambiguous or even clearly offensive word. For those situations I don't like the rush to "cancel" someone and their life's work, etc.

This wasn't that though...this was a deliberate description of others and a purposeful denigration of them. I am just fine with him not being welcome to return as the announcer in that case.

Agreed. Cancel culture goes too far. This isn't that Matt Damon saying that what Al Franken did wasn't as bad as what Harvey Weinstein did (which some people freaked the eff out about). This was absolutely him making comments and choosing to use the word "f-g". He could have used a variety of other terms, but he didn't. He didn't know the mic was hot, but as I've heard in a family of people who are often on stage, always assume the mic is hot.

If I own any business, I'm not going to want any of my people are using derogatory terms for various groups.....but where my people have any customer contact, I'm going to be beyond pissed if anyone is using those terms for customers to hear. I'm not saying Brennaman MUST be fired, but I'm saying it's a 100% legit fair outcome.

If he doesn’t have the cash to retire he will be teaching broadcasting at a community college.

crazy he said that in a group setting of co-workers. Hot mic or not that was horrible.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
If he doesn’t have the cash to retire he will be teaching broadcasting at a community college.

crazy he said that in a group setting of co-workers. Hot mic or not that was horrible.
I'd bet he's been using colorful language most of his career. Since it was rather casually said. This one slipped though the net and got on air. Dad was a broadcast legend for them. So I would imagine he felt comfortable in the security of his job. I can be myself around here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT