ADVERTISEMENT

Reece Vander Zee

Agree with both of you guys. Cade needs to step in to all his throws. That second TD to VZ will be a pick in a lot of games. That said... Vander Zee looks to be something special.
Kind of a chancy throw but then again most good QBs will take a few chances. I don't think there will be many games where RVZ's defenders will be able to out jump him for those kinds of balls. RVZ starts out around 6-7" taller than the D backs, add the 40+" vertical. It looked like the lad has good hands, notice they are huge, and I think Iowa gets most of those catches.

It's just been a long time since we've seen black and gold jerseys on those kinds of receivers.

See, I didn't think it was that great of a throw. He under threw him and Gill made a great adjustment and a pretty good catch. You could tell Cade was rusty and was hesitant to step into any throw for most of the day. I thought he kept falling back and throwing off his back foot, especially in the first half. Tough to fault him with how much time has missed, but hopefully the rust wears off quickly.

Not trying to start an argument, but I didn't think it was that great of a throw. Either way, touchdown Hawkeyes and hope to see many more, to whoever!
Well he threw it from the 40 yard line, to a wr in double coverage. Looks pretty good to me.

Kind of a chancy throw but then again most good QBs will take a few chances. I don't think there will be many games where RVZ's defenders will be able to out jump him for those kinds of balls. RVZ starts out around 6-7" taller than the D backs, add the 40+" vertical. It looked like the lad has good hands, notice they are huge, and I think Iowa gets most of those catches.

It's just been a long time since we've seen black and gold jerseys on those kinds of receivers.
We will see this weekend. ISU has two 6ft4in DB's

That throw was strange. Cade never even picked his left foot off the ground. Looks to me like it was 75% arm and 25% shoulder throw. No legs at all.

That throw was strange. Cade never even picked his left foot off the ground. Looks to me like it was 75% arm and 25% shoulder throw. No legs at all.
Let's hope he's getting some QB coaching. That kind of thing catches up with you eventually. When the defense is faster and coverage is tighter the margin for error is less. Gotta step in to your throws. That said, he looks confident out there which is something we've really been missing. Great to see.

Reactions: LukaDuka
73ac5721-cb00-4e81-b16c-da528c7e6cfe-3-6_DMC-CL_BBB_11.jpg
His HS QB two years ago is backup free safety Zach Lutmer , pictured above, who is a RS freshman. Thats pretty cool to have two kids from a town of …3k? in the depth chart. Together they won a state title in both football and basketball in 2022-23. Looks like Reece loss in the final seconds last year in the title game.

Reactions: Torg
RVZ had a nice 1st game.
everyone saying he went up for that 2nd TD must not have any hops bc he was only about 6 inches off the ground.

He's going to be a good player for us but damn pump the breaks a little bit.

RVZ had a nice 1st game.
everyone saying he went up for that 2nd TD must not have any hops bc he was only about 6 inches off the ground.

He's going to be a good player for us but damn pump the breaks a little bit.
Yes probably better with “lunch pail guy” “gym rat” but he has hops for sure and length

Reactions: Torg and LukaDuka
See, I didn't think it was that great of a throw. He under threw him and Gill made a great adjustment and a pretty good catch. You could tell Cade was rusty and was hesitant to step into any throw for most of the day. I thought he kept falling back and throwing off his back foot, especially in the first half. Tough to fault him with how much time has missed, but hopefully the rust wears off quickly.

Not trying to start an argument, but I didn't think it was that great of a throw. Either way, touchdown Hawkeyes and hope to see many more, to whoever!

It was certainly a better throw than that wounded goose for RVZ’s 2nd TD.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
His HS QB two years ago is backup free safety Zach Lutmer , pictured above, who is a RS freshman. Thats pretty cool to have two kids from a town of …3k? in the depth chart. Together they won a state title in both football and basketball in 2022-23. Looks like Reece loss in the final seconds last year in the title game.
There are 3 kids from CL-GLR on the roster. Graham Eben #38 is a preferred walk on LB. Yes its pretty damn cool for a town of 2500. It was a lot of fun watching these boys compete in high school.

Let's hope he's getting some QB coaching. That kind of thing catches up with you eventually. When the defense is faster and coverage is tighter the margin for error is less. Gotta step in to your throws. That said, he looks confident out there which is something we've really been missing. Great to see.
Normally, yes, but like I said that was a 40 yarder that was basically thrown on the run. (he had about a half second to stop and throw it). I agree it takes some arm strength to do that. The ball was very well placed and on time though. I seriously doubt in anything except maybe a hail Mary or a broken play where he scrambles to one side and tries to throw to the other side of the field, will he ever be asked to throw more then 40 yards. 40 yards is considered deep at any level. Something else nice to see in an Iowa QB is the touch he puts on it, that one to the Te running away from him, was a nice play by both of them as well. It just seems like for the first time in a long time the QB and anyone catching the ball are on the same page with timing and where the ball is going to be thrown to. AND that should do nothing but get better and better all season long.

Normally, yes, but like I said that was a 40 yarder that was basically thrown on the run. (he had about a half second to stop and throw it). I agree it takes some arm strength to do that. The ball was very well placed and on time though. I seriously doubt in anything except maybe a hail Mary or a broken play where he scrambles to one side and tries to throw to the other side of the field, will he ever be asked to throw more then 40 yards. 40 yards is considered deep at any level. Something else nice to see in an Iowa QB is the touch he puts on it, that one to the Te running away from him, was a nice play by both of them as well. It just seems like for the first time in a long time the QB and anyone catching the ball are on the same page with timing and where the ball is going to be thrown to. AND that should do nothing but get better and better all season long.
This cannot be emphasized enough. Both Petras & Hill threw mostly 90 mph uncatchable fastballs.

Reactions: Mister_Man
Well he threw it from the 40 yard line, to a wr in double coverage. Looks pretty good to me.
I agree with you and some of these hawk fans on here are being really half glass empty types. On the play you mentioned to Gill, Cade threw him open by leading him perfectly. Gill wasnt open when Cade threw it and with the slight rollout it was a pretty effortless throw of 42 yards with just hips, shoulders, and his arm. And by that I mean it was a quicker release because he didnt have to gather himself and take a stride.

I hope Cade has a very good season and maybe a great season. Just the fact that we completed two slant passes of greater than 10 yards to our WRs is pretty good as Kirk is sort of risk averse to throwing over the middle

This cannot be emphasized enough. Both Petras & Hill threw mostly 90 mph uncatchable fastballs.
And Stanley for what it's worth at least in tight situations.

Chuck Hartieb might have had a less strong arm as a QB at Iowa but he threw very catchable passes. It makes sense of course, that he beat out perhaps the kid with the strongest arm ever at Iowa.

Reactions: Madman_1
As Hill abundantly proved last season, touch is important. Both the slider TD to RVZ and the Gill TD showed good touch. CMcN completed 65% the last time he was healthy. The few runs he made last season showed clear injury impairment. Saturday his runs looked natural. His arm looked good enough to throw some pretty tight spirals and hit receivers.

It’s cool to see these smaller schools crank out the talent. It’s wild to me that my high school, Williamsburg, has two kids as athletic as Wetjen and Weisskopf on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg and Mister_Man
I agree with you and some of these hawk fans on here are being really half glass empty types. On the play you mentioned to Gill, Cade threw him open by leading him perfectly. Gill wasnt open when Cade threw it and with the slight rollout it was a pretty effortless throw of 42 yards with just hips, shoulders, and his arm. And by that I mean it was a quicker release because he didnt have to gather himself and take a stride.

I hope Cade has a very good season and maybe a great season. Just the fact that we completed two slant passes of greater than 10 yards to our WRs is pretty good as Kirk is sort of risk averse to throwing over the middle
I'm not glass half empty, but I am hesitant to say the offense is fixed because Cade had a good half against an FCS school. I didn't think the throw was great. It got caught for a touchdown, awesome. I thought he threw off his back foot for most of the day. I also said that I know he hasn't played in nearly two years so that could be getting the rust off, which I hope is the case. Just not getting my hopes up. Either way, I think we're in a better spot, QB wise, than we have been in a long, long time with Cade and the backup.

I do hope the Hawks keep raking in these small town Iowa kids. Solon, Williamsburg, Central Lyon, etc. have really been good to them. The small towns seem to take their turn churning out talent and it's pretty cool to see.

Also, Hawks 27 - 10 tomorrow, with the game never really being in question. Kaleb runs for over 130!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT