ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Morgan on Daviyon Nixon

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
I know there was a supposed rumor floating around a couple weeks back about Nixon. Something about him not practicing with the team. It sure sounds like Nixon is still with the team at this time and of course during the regular season. To paraphrase Reese Morgan, he said that he thinks he (Nixon) has a really bright future and a chance to do some really special things. Morgan also said he is excited to get the chance to work with him. According to Reese, Nixon was also scout team player of the week a couple times during the season.
Reese went on to discuss some of the other up and comers in the defensive line group mentioning John Waggoner as a pleasant surprise, Linderbaum as a tough nosed guy and Noah Shannon as a player who also has a chance to do some special things but needs to gain consistency and learn more (again paraphrasing). For the young talent coming up, Learning more is a repeated theme. Morgan says they know they need to learn more.
Of course I have to plug Coach Morgan as a longtime pillar in the framework of the staff. What a great guy and coach.

I know there was a supposed rumor floating around a couple weeks back about Nixon. Something about him not practicing with the team. It sure sounds like Nixon is still with the team at this time and of course during the regular season. To paraphrase Reese Morgan, he said that he thinks he (Nixon) has a really bright future and a chance to do some really special things. Morgan also said he is excited to get the chance to work with him. According to Reese, Nixon was also scout team player of the week a couple times during the season.
Reese went on to discuss some of the other up and comers in the defensive line group mentioning John Waggoner as a pleasant surprise, Linderbaum as a tough nosed guy and Noah Shannon as a player who also has a chance to do some special things but needs to gain consistency and learn more (again paraphrasing). For the young talent coming up, Learning more is a repeated theme. Morgan says they know they need to learn more.
Of course I have to plug Coach Morgan as a longtime pillar in the framework of the staff. What a great guy and coach.

It's going to be hard to replace Coach Morgan. I really like Coach Bell and he is a good communicator as well but Coach Morgan is a wise old sage that saw a lot of things in some "marginal" recruits and really found some gems and then coached them up. Hope he stays as a consultant after he retires.

I believe it was Legend that said Nixon was not practicing with the team, correct?

Is it possible that Legend said this during a week in which Nixon was excused from practices so he could study for exams?

My understanding is that Legend's info is normally right, but he is often short and cryptic. Wouldn't surprise me if he said something that was technically correct, but would likely be misinterpreted without additional context.

I believe it was Legend that said Nixon was not practicing with the team, correct?

Is it possible that Legend said this during a week in which Nixon was excused from practices so he could study for exams?

My understanding is that Legend's info is normally right, but he is often short and cryptic. Wouldn't surprise me if he said something that was technically correct, but would likely be misinterpreted without additional context.
LOL.

Talent like COACH Morgan not replaced... Learn from his work and get better. A Great Great Teacher for Hawks.Role model for many Situations. Coach Morgan.

Reactions: Harbinger273

Legend also said nunge couldn’t redshirt, so....

It's going to be hard to replace Coach Morgan. I really like Coach Bell and he is a good communicator as well but Coach Morgan is a wise old sage that saw a lot of things in some "marginal" recruits and really found some gems and then coached them up. Hope he stays as a consultant after he retires.
Morgan is the type of coach that could and probably will coach well into his 70's. Not only is he the best assistant on Iowa's staff, but I would argue he is the best position coach in the nation. Look at the history of the success his positions (not one position but several) has had. TE coach early 2000's- Oh hello Dallas Clark, OL after that- no big deal: Rief, Bulaga, Yanda, Sherff and then DL when it was really bad and since then- Johnson, Carl Davis, Ott, and our current stud DL. Pretty remarkable really

I posted that in November because he wasn't. Hopefully the situation has been resolved.

Reactions: LUC8
Legend also said nunge couldn’t redshirt, so....
Not that I need to stick up for @Legend12 but I believe that is the rule actually unless it's changed recently. Based on previous cases, Nunge can (and will) still redshirt, but may have to sit out of some games next year. That's because he's a returning player, not a first year freshman.

First-year players can compete in closed scrimmages and exhibition games and still redshirt as long as they don’t compete in any regular-season games. But an NCAA rule prevents players who decide to use their redshirt season later in their career from participating in closed scrimmages or exhibition games.

I don’t see how Morgan would come out and say glowing things about his future if he wasn’t going to be with the team.

Reactions: WCAC_Fan_10
I hope that's the case, but we'll see. I still don't think it's resolved.
What is it that was going on? Is academics still a concern? I could see the team holding out hope for him and Coach Morgan wanting to be encouraging. I could also see them withholding his status with the team until resolution. Was this the topic of discussion in the lounge?

Reactions: WCAC_Fan_10
What is it that was going on? Is academics still a concern? I could see the team holding out hope for him and Coach Morgan wanting to be encouraging. I could also see them withholding his status with the team until resolution. Was this the topic of discussion in the lounge?
Agreed with this. His dad's twitter is still clad with Black and Gold and is constantly retweeting positive Iowa Football tweets. I'm guessing if his son was in jeopardy of not being with the team moving forward, this wouldn't be the case.

True enough, but don't sleep on Shannon or Linderbaum either. Some solid looking talent coming up in the pipeline.......
Morgan talking about Waggoner made it sound like he is making strides. I want to see if he gets action next season and what he does.

Morgan talking about Waggoner made it sound like he is making strides. I want to see if he gets action next season and what he does.
Absolutely. Seemed like the posters were talking basically about DT candidates, but certainly Waggoner could project for some PT at either position next season.

Absolutely. Seemed like the posters were talking basically about DT candidates, but certainly Waggoner could project for some PT at either position next season.
I'm talking about Waggoner at End, but if he gets big he could jump inside. Maybe hes already bulked up.

I hope that's the case, but we'll see. I still don't think it's resolved.
He wouldn't be the first guy to have a wake-up call and midterm scare their first semester at university, JUCO transfer or otherwise. Let's hope that's all it is (if anything) and he gets it straightened out in time.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Brents is shown at the tail end of Marc Morehouse's video from warm-ups, but then it looked like he wasn't in the DB drills that Chad filmed so maybe nursing a minor injury.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
I reckon they're just letting Nixon focus on academics right now, and then bring him into the fold after the semester. Rob Howe of HN said he talked to someone close to the situation about a week ago and they said it was nothing to worry about.

Reactions: David1979
I reckon they're just letting Nixon focus on academics right now, and then bring him into the fold after the semester. Rob Howe of HN said he talked to someone close to the situation about a week ago and they said it was nothing to worry about.

Probably a good idea for a kid that was behind academically. Can't play if you don't get good enough grades.

Hope they are right about it.

Nixon still isn't practicing.

I'll be looking at further reports about Nixon not being at Practice. This is becoming a bit more concerning especially if it is due to academics and has been going on for a period of several weeks or more. I don't see that the staff are going after another DT in the 2019 class so hopefully its not going to be a major issue going forward. Just get it together for Spring ball young man!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT