ADVERTISEMENT

refs cost us the game

So, if this were a game where Iowa made its FTs and it still comes down to that last shot, no one can criticize the horrible officiating and say it influenced the outcome without being accused of being that person? Of course, fans on both sides often seem to be watching a different game when it comes to officiating. Therefore, I may be guilty of bias but that game seemed to be as awful as it gets. Kofi could travel at will and be as physical as he wanted. He gets a way with landing on Murray on a shot attempt. There were two other times where contact from Illinois caused turnovers. The charge call on Murray when up 5 or 7 wasn't even close to a charge. The made up travel call on Perkins. I honestly don't remember a particular bad call that went our way which doesn't mean none did. Still, the missed FTs make the loss hurt the most.

Reactions: unclesammy
The refs helped you beat us twice.

Congrats on your fake, gifted championship...
oh wow the refs were the main reason we also beat you guys at YOUR place too ?? 🤣 and lol at saying "congrats on your fake gifted championship" 🤣 the butthurt is strong with this guy haha.
And we won a share of the Big Ten title fair and square . You're acting like some inbred sore loser hick from some little town in Iowa. Its really pathetic and you are embarrassing yourself . Its not the refs fault douchebag Bohannon didn't score a single point (ditto on little Mccaffery Jr being held to 0 points as well) Our defense locked down both of them and made them a non factor .
Not to mention you guys missed key free throws too. The better team won
In short ... SCOREBOARD

oh wow the refs were the main reason we also beat you guys at YOUR place too ?? 🤣 and lol at saying "congrats on your fake gifted championship" 🤣 the butthurt is strong with this guy haha.
And we won a share of the Big Ten title fair and square . You're acting like some inbred sore loser and its embarrassing. Its not the refs fault douchebag Bohannon didn't score a single point (ditto on little Mccaffery Jr being held to 0 points as well) Our defense locked down both of them and made them a non factor .

In short ... SCOREBOARD
Uhhmmm…it’s 24 hours after the game and you are still posting on an Iowa message board. You might want to examine your own life and mental faculties before you continue to embarrass yourself further.

I’ve got news for you: you didn’t win shit. The Illinois players and coaches did. So this whole “we” delusion you have of seeking validation for other people’s accomplishments might be best served in a shrink’s office.

Or, better yet, do the world a favor and heed the advice of one of your brethren and “f#cking kill yourself.” Because I can promise you the Illinois players and coaches don’t care anything about you like the rest of us. 😁

Reactions: nbanflfactory
So, if this were a game where Iowa made its FTs and it still comes down to that last shot, no one can criticize the horrible officiating and say it influenced the outcome without being accused of being that person? Of course, fans on both sides often seem to be watching a different game when it comes to officiating. Therefore, I may be guilty of bias but that game seemed to be as awful as it gets. Kofi could travel at will and be as physical as he wanted. He gets a way with landing on Murray on a shot attempt. There were two other times where contact from Illinois caused turnovers. The charge call on Murray when up 5 or 7 wasn't even close to a charge. The made up travel call on Perkins. I honestly don't remember a particular bad call that went our way which doesn't mean none did. Still, the missed FTs make the loss hurt the most.
B1G Ten officiating has been trash for a long time. At the end of the day, Iowa didn’t make free throws or enough plays to win the game. It’s really that simple.

And we won a share of the Big Ten title fair and square . You're acting like some inbred sore loser hick from some little town in Iowa. Its really pathetic and you are embarrassing yourself . Its not the refs fault douchebag Bohannon didn't score a single point (ditto on little Mccaffery Jr being held to 0 points as well) Our defense locked down both of them and made them a non factor .
In short ... SCOREBOARD
I wouldn’t worry about it apparently we have Hawk fans that live in Ames. That is the first excuse for a loss.

In short ... SCOREBOARD
Enjoy the gift chump

And congrats shutting down cmac....

B1G Ten officiating has been trash for a long time. At the end of the day, Iowa didn’t make free throws or enough plays to win the game. It’s really that simple.
The missed FTs ultimately bothered me more than the officiating because we still cost ourselves the win despite it, but I don't believe awful officiating should be ignored simply because you can always find fault with any team that loses. IIRC, we were up 5 or 7 when Murray got awful charge call and Illinois came back down and hit a three. That is a huge momentum swing. If any team keeps getting calls that prevent the other team from pulling away, I think it can influence the outcome. But again, hit our FTs and and we win and can still criticize the officiating.

Uhhmmm…it’s 24 hours after the game and you are still posting on an Iowa message board. You might want to examine your own life and mental faculties before you continue to embarrass yourself further.

I’ve got news for you: you didn’t win shit. The Illinois players and coaches did. So this whole “we” delusion you have of seeking validation for other people’s accomplishments might be best served in a shrink’s office.

Or, better yet, do the world a favor and heed the advice of one of your brethren and “f#cking kill yourself.” Because I can promise you the Illinois players and coaches don’t care anything about you like the rest of us. 😁
lol it's perfectly common for alums of any university to say "we" when referring to the college they went to (I see it being used on this board all the time).. And jfc you seem completely unhinged by telling someone else to "****ing kill yourself" on a sports message board.(you probably shouldn't call out anyone else's mental health when you're the one spewing shit like that You seem to take sports a bit too seriously there chump err I mean champ. (not surprised though by looking at your douchey username (blacknpissbleeder) and sig of all those iowa "legends" (good lord you're probably in your late 70s as well🤣 yet acting like some 14 year incel)
I've known and met a good amount of bitter Iowa fans over the years but you take the cake in terms of overall inbred stupidity. 🤣

2 quick fouls on Keegan and he sits the rest of the first half. It's happened a couple times this year. There are fouls almost every time down the floor that CAN be called, the refs make that decision. They do influence the game.

They set the tone. They can change the pace of the game. They fan call a foul at the end of the game putting a player at the line for the winning free throws (remember Rutgers). They can ignore an obvious travel call and allow a player to hit a 3 that ties that game (Penn State).

They can allow hand checking and grabbing at the top of the key that slows down the entire offense (see Chucky Hepburn / WI). They can allow Bucky players time after time to jump in front of a player and flop (usually a 4 point swing, huge momentum shifter and a +1 foul on important player).

You CAN say that teams just need to play so well that they leave no doubt they are the better team by outscoring poor officiating, but you really can't claim they have no effect on the game.

You can keep the excuses and manufactured sense of superiority after being swept, and we’ll hang the banner. ;)

Come ON, dude. Sour. Grapes.
Listen fighter, if you can’t takeoff your fan glasses and admit that the way the game was called had a significant impact on the game in favor of your team at home on senior day, then you are just not being honest.

Illinois narrowed the gap with Iowa after the Refs decided that Iowa was running away with it, so they nailed possibly the best player in the country, Keegan Murray, with two nonsense Ticky tack fouls, And he had to sit, and it change the entire offense for Iowa, and somehow Illinois goes on a run. And the other blatantly obvious no calls and ridiculous files called against Iowa have been described in detail above. Just saying that the number of fouls called ended up being equal has also been written about because it’s pretty easy to make things look more or less equal on the box score when everybody knows that there’s a colossal difference between a consequential foul, and one that just stops gameplay.

i’ve watched the Murray twins Play for years, and literally nothing gets into their heads. They are the coolest and most collected players I’ve ever seen in high school or college. But the one thing that does and has gotten into their heads is when they are in a situation where they are getting BS fouls called against them, taking them out of flow or out of game, or no calls and getting baskets taken away from them. That does get into their heads and I am quite confident that it is related to their absolutely stunning Misses at the foul line.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
You can keep the excuses and manufactured sense of superiority after being swept, and we’ll hang the banner. ;)

Come ON, dude. Sour. Grapes.
And what Kofi got away with dozens of times it’s just incomprehensible. I triple dog dare you to rewatch the game and just watch that guy pretty much do whatever he wants to whomever he wants, walk around without bothering to dribble, you name it. Just the way he was treated by the referees was plenty enough to swing the game in Illinois favor

And what Kofi got away with dozens of times it’s just incomprehensible. I triple dog dare you to rewatch the game and just watch that guy pretty much do whatever he wants to whomever he wants, walk around without bothering to dribble, you name it. Just the way he was treated by the referees was plenty enough to swing the game in Illinois favor
You guys are completely incapable of talking objectively about Kofi. Did Kofi get away with fouls? Yes. Were there BS touch fouls on Iowa (AND ILLINOIS) that appeared jarring due to how inconsistently the game was reffed? Yes. Did it help Illinois at times? Yes. I’m not too biased to admit that.

What your whole fan base appears to be too biased to admit is that it isn’t one-sided, and your ENTIRE DEFENSIVE STRATEGY against Kofi is based around fouling him. For a fan base that wants the game reffed less physically than any I’ve ever met, you can’t even see that every time Kofi got the ball, three of your players were slapping at his hands and hacking him on the way up? It’s like you think his size should be held against him, and people should be able to foul him on one end (because they have no one tall enough to stop him) but then he should be constantly called for offensive fouls on the other end for using his body in ways smaller forwards do too except Kofi is strong enough that it displaces defensive players.

Let’s just say you’re 100% right, and Illinois got every single call and Iowa “should have won” and whatever else … Illinois got absolutely f***ed by the refs at home vs. OSU just the other week, this stuff evens out over the course of the season. Thinking you should have won or that the refs were bad is one thing, but the total lack of respect here is honestly astonishing. Illinois swept Iowa, has won 5 straight in the series and finished a full THREE games ahead of Iowa with arguably a harder Big Ten schedule, and most fans here speak of them like a lucky afterthought, lol.

Frankly, I think you have a great team that I’ll be pulling hard for in the Big Dance, but your fan base probably got too high during the winning streak … especially when acting like losing at the league champion’s place (after already losing to them at home) with a title on the line is just unthinkable. I mean, seriously, I’m not sure I’ve seen this board simply just say Illinois was the better team in ANY of these five straight victories, lol, there is always some fluke explanation! Fine by me, because I guess I’ll take what Iowa seems as “lucky” over being “better” and having nothing to show for it.

I like a lot of your team and most of your fans (including this board usually), but this is kind of ridiculous. Good luck in March, as long as it’s not against us.

Reactions: Illinisully
You guys are completely incapable of talking objectively about Kofi. Did Kofi get away with fouls? Yes. Were there BS touch fouls on Iowa (AND ILLINOIS) that appeared jarring due to how inconsistently the game was reffed? Yes. Did it help Illinois at times? Yes. I’m not too biased to admit that.

What your whole fan base appears to be too biased to admit is that it isn’t one-sided, and your ENTIRE DEFENSIVE STRATEGY against Kofi is based around fouling him. For a fan base that wants the game reffed less physically than any I’ve ever met, you can’t even see that every time Kofi got the ball, three of your players were slapping at his hands and hacking him on the way up? It’s like you think his size should be held against him, and people should be able to foul him on one end (because they have no one tall enough to stop him) but then he should be constantly called for offensive fouls on the other end for using his body in ways smaller forwards do too except Kofi is strong enough that it displaces defensive players.

Let’s just say you’re 100% right, and Illinois got every single call and Iowa “should have won” and whatever else … Illinois got absolutely f***ed by the refs at home vs. OSU just the other week, this stuff evens out over the course of the season. Thinking you should have won or that the refs were bad is one thing, but the total lack of respect here is honestly astonishing. Illinois swept Iowa, has won 5 straight in the series and finished a full THREE games ahead of Iowa with arguably a harder Big Ten schedule, and most fans here speak of them like a lucky afterthought, lol.

Frankly, I think you have a great team that I’ll be pulling hard for in the Big Dance, but your fan base probably got too high during the winning streak … especially when acting like losing at the league champion’s place (after already losing to them at home) with a title on the line is just unthinkable. I mean, seriously, I’m not sure I’ve seen this board simply just say Illinois was the better team in ANY of these five straight victories, lol, there is always some fluke explanation! Fine by me, because I guess I’ll take what Iowa seems as “lucky” over being “better” and having nothing to show for it.

I like a lot of your team and most of your fans (including this board usually), but this is kind of ridiculous. Good luck in March, as long as it’s not against us.
Soo... You're disappointed by a lack of objective viewpoints towards your team on an opposing fan's forum after a tough loss? You're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Soo... You're disappointed by a lack of objective viewpoints towards your team on an opposing fan's forum after a tough loss? You're probably barking up the wrong tree.
Fair enough, just disappointing. Sunday night was, to me, two great teams that can each make deep Tournament runs playing an epic rivalry game.

You actually make a good point. Illinois is a really good team and has had a had Iowa's number the past several meetings. I really like Illinois and how they have rebuilt that program. But to me, it's not just about Illinois. Maybe I am being biased here as an Iowa fan, but it just seems to be the case in this league that both refs and announcers favor the hot teams and brand names.

Fran gets thrown out of games and suspended for much less than what Wisconsin players/coaches just got away with. Izzo can do no wrong. I've seen many coaches overreact in games yelling at the refs and running on the court, with no consequence. That stuff ads up in a fan base and it's been going on since Fran got to Iowa.

Most fanbases have gripes with the refs, but it just seems like this style of play benefits the physical brand name programs. I just wish Fran would hop on board and coach his teams to be more physical. Foul often, can't call them all.

you guys literally were up 15 in the 1st half and couldn't make free throws when it mattered the most. Illinois won the game fair and square and are co-Big Ten champions because of it. You guys are grown ass men acting like 14 yr old reddit incels. I am not even denying how subpar the officiating has been in the BT this season (but it has effected ALL Big Ten teams thru out the season especially to the teams playing on the road) you guys seem to be just doubling down on being sore losers (don't care if its on an opposing fan's forum either. Safe spaces are for wimps after all. It was a hard fought game between two good teams that are rivals.

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
Fran gets thrown out of games and suspended for much less than what Wisconsin players/coaches just got away with. Izzo can do no wrong. I've seen many coaches overreact in games yelling at the refs and running on the court, with no consequence. That stuff ads up in a fan base and it's been going on since Fran got to Iowa.
lmao did you really type that out with a straight face?? 🤣 Fran has no one to blame but himself for being targeted by refs (due to his short temper ) and clowned on by so many people to the point of being known for the hilariously spot on "FRANCON Alert System" meme that has been shared a bunch of times on sports' message boards everywhere 🤣

QtkftTP.0.jpg

I just watched the game now (Tue night) believe it or not, been really busy:

My take...
- The refs cost us a few points but that's to be expected on the road in B1G - it's naive to say otherwise
- We had our chances to overcome it - especially with our self inflicted FTs at the end
- Perkins is really coming on, I align with he's our 2nd best player right now
- IA will be a tough out in the B1G Dance, with a more free flowing game and neutral refs.

you guys literally were up 15 in the 1st half and couldn't make free throws when it mattered the most. Illinois won the game fair and square and are co-Big Ten champions because of it. You guys are grown ass men acting like 14 yr old reddit incels. I am not even denying how subpar the officiating has been in the BT this season (but it has effected ALL Big Ten teams thru out the season especially to the teams playing on the road) you guys seem to be just doubling down on being sore losers (don't care if its on an opposing fan's forum either. Safe spaces are for wimps after all. It was a hard fought game between two good teams that are rivals.
Who are "you guys" exactly? Dope.

lmao did you really type that out with a straight face?? 🤣 Fran has no one to blame but himself for being targeted by refs (due to his short temper ) and clowned on by so many people to the point of being known for the hilariously spot on "FRANCON Alert System" meme that has been shared a bunch of times on sports' message boards everywhere 🤣

QtkftTP.0.jpg
I did type that with a straight face. And I'm glad Fran fights for his guys and stands up to the corrupt big ten refs that prop up the blue bloods. Yeah, we've all seen the meme. It's pretty neat-o. Bobby Knight did too, but he coached for a blur blood so it was allowed.

• Haha
As an Illinois fan, I will objectively state that there a number of missed calls. Each fan base feels that the officiating favors the other team. As it relates to Kofi, they definitely missed a couple of travels, and I've yet to see three seconds correctly officiated with any consistency in the B10. On the other hand, Kofi gets bodied and hammered with regularity down low, and he's treated like the biggest 8th grader on the court where the officials handicap the game to help his little opponents out. Officials tend to let contact go with bigs near the basket, so Coleman Hawkins crowding Keegan may not always get the same scrutiny as when a smaller player gets bumped. Don't get me started on the charge/block call; Keegan had a bad call go against him on offense but the charge he took on Curbelo's 4th foul should have been a mere turnover or a block (watch the tape). Illinois shot 22 free throws to Iowa's 21 and that's with the Hawkeye's fouling intentionally for the last two Illinois attempts. After the ILL/OSU game at ILL, our Rivals Board was livid, and someone posted five photos of Kofi getting hammered with no call. I respect your coach and team, and I will cheer for Iowa against unless it hurts the Illini in the standings. Best of luck in the NCAA Tourney.

QtkftTP.0.jpg

Are you an idiot in real life, or do you just play one on the internet?

One fan shouting this crap doesn't green light it for opposing fans to do the same. It was wrong then and it's wrong to repeat it. In the end it's just a game.

This Sully twerp is a childish troll calling others children. Just ignore the twit.

I did type that with a straight face. And I'm glad Fran fights for his guys and stands up to the corrupt big ten refs that prop up the blue bloods. Yeah, we've all seen the meme. It's pretty neat-o. Bobby Knight did too, but he coached for a blur blood so it was allowed.
lol I wish Illinois was considered a blue blood. Hopefully for our sake we will become a blue blood program in the near future.

I was clearly referring to Iowa as "you guys". jfc I thought that was obvious.
We dont all share the same opinions and you replied to my comment. Just like I don't believe every Illini fan is an annoying tool like you, not everyone here is blaming the refs for the loss.

I never once whined or claimed that the refs were the reason Iowa lost the game although typically when players jump up and land on top of the opponent a foul gets called. When it doesn't that's going to have people questioning the officiating. I've stated several times that there were many factors in Iowa losing the game, the most significant being 12 missed free throws. Iowa outplayed Illinois and if Iowa hits close to their season average in free throws they win in spite of bad officiating. They didn't and they lost. I hope they get another shot at them so Iowa fans can jump on your board and collect all of the congratulations that I'm sure will be coming in droves.

Last edited:
As an Illinois fan, I will objectively state that there a number of missed calls. Each fan base feels that the officiating favors the other team. As it relates to Kofi, they definitely missed a couple of travels, and I've yet to see three seconds correctly officiated with any consistency in the B10. On the other hand, Kofi gets bodied and hammered with regularity down low, and he's treated like the biggest 8th grader on the court where the officials handicap the game to help his little opponents out. Officials tend to let contact go with bigs near the basket, so Coleman Hawkins crowding Keegan may not always get the same scrutiny as when a smaller player gets bumped. Don't get me started on the charge/block call; Keegan had a bad call go against him on offense but the charge he took on Curbelo's 4th foul should have been a mere turnover or a block (watch the tape). Illinois shot 22 free throws to Iowa's 21 and that's with the Hawkeye's fouling intentionally for the last two Illinois attempts. After the ILL/OSU game at ILL, our Rivals Board was livid, and someone posted five photos of Kofi getting hammered with no call. I respect your coach and team, and I will cheer for Iowa against unless it hurts the Illini in the standings. Best of luck in the NCAA Tourney.
Agree. He does get fouled a lot and
lol I wish Illinois was considered a blue blood. Hopefully for our sake we will become a blue blood program in the near future.
I wasn't really thinking about this game when I posted that. It's more about how the Network props up the Michigans/Mich States, WI when they're hot, teams that are winning. There is a bias. Again, I save my absolute hate for Wisconsin. I like Illinois, I will cheer for them in the tourney, I did last year. I don't think you guys typically get favors from the conference, but this game was important to the big ten and I am convinced of that. It's the way the world works, right? Would the conference benefit more from the Hawks winning that game, or the story of Kofi, Illinois winning the conference, and getting a better seed in the tourney?

Let's not let get one speedbump ruin some really, really fun basketball right now. Yes, the quality of refereeing is shoddy but let's not pretend that only Iowa fans feel shafted. Everyone from NBA teams down to the middle school ranks complains about refereeing, and if you think you can do a better job of calling a game, then take the damn classes and get certified to become a sports official. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why not many people are willing to officiate these days.

If anything, the loss @ Illinois should be plenty of fuel to kick some ass in the BTT and NCAA tournaments. They knew they had the game won but just couldn't execute when it mattered most.

EbzrGvcWoAI1MT3

Let's not let get one speedbump ruin some really, really fun basketball right now. Yes, the quality of refereeing is shoddy but let's not pretend that only Iowa fans feel shafted. Everyone from NBA teams down to the middle school ranks complains about refereeing, and if you think you can do a better job of calling a game, then take the damn classes and get certified to become a sports official. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why not many people are willing to officiate these days.

If anything, the loss @ Illinois should be plenty of fuel to kick some ass in the BTT and NCAA tournaments. They knew they had the game won but just couldn't execute when it mattered most.

EbzrGvcWoAI1MT3
I actually feel even better about Iowa's chances after the Illinois game. Iowa controlled that game pretty much throughout and was competitive on the boards against a quality big for the second straight game. Make free throws at a reasonable rate and the winning streak continues. No way they shoot like that again.

I will just make three quick comments: (1) If you were to poll fans of other members of the B1G, you would find that Iowa fans are not the only ones that are sick of Kofi having his own set of basketball rules, (2) The "mad Fran" characterization is so overblown these past few years. Do Illini fans not see how out of control their own coach is during these games? How about Izzo?, and (3) Illini fans have to admit that Iowa handed them that game on the proverbial silver platter. You cannot claim your FT defense won the game for you.

I will just make three quick comments: (1) If you were to poll fans of other members of the B1G, you would find that Iowa fans are not the only ones that are sick of Kofi having his own set of basketball rules, (2) The "mad Fran" characterization is so overblown these past few years. Do Illini fans not see how out of control their own coach is during these games? How about Izzo?, and (3) Illini fans have to admit that Iowa handed them that game on the proverbial silver platter. You cannot claim your FT defense won the game for you.
1. Oh absolutely. It was amusing seeing all the other posters on the Rivals main board calling out the awful officiating that was favoring Illinois. They could see what we were seeing as well, so in a sense that was reassuring at least.

2. I agree, and to Fran's credit he has mellowed out a bit (just a bit ;) ). I think some of that is, honestly, the team he has this year too.

3. Most of them that post over there did jokingly say their FT defense won the game. Not surprisingly, though, they had nothing to say about the officiating other than the "oh yeah well your guys were hanging all over Kofi!!!"..........They won't bite on anything else regarding the officiating, which tells me they know that the game was piss poorly officiated as well.

10-22 from line. OP and the other cryclown ref complainers are bitches when you shoot like that. Fran has been our coach 12 seasons freaking out on refs and his low talent eldest son has been crying and complaining to them for the last 5 (even when he clearly fouled). Anyone who expects the benefit of the doubt with refs with those two hot head crybabies leading us is a total idiot. Refs are humans too and I'd bet they chat about what assholes the McCafferys are over their post-game beers. But keep crying

If they did the job they're overpaid to do, we win.

Yes Iowa shot like shit. Wgaf???

Everything else they did doesn't matter??

You can look at any team in a close game and ALWAYS find a reason to blame them, regardless how poor the officiating was.

Anybody that doesn't think the refs cost us more than 2 points is crazy.

Bottom line is the game should have never been near close enough for the misses to matter.
players and coaches lose games. Iowa missed 12 FTs. Same amount of fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT