ADVERTISEMENT

Reminded me a lot of the '04 ASU game ...

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
The Hawks fought pretty hard through the first half ... but just kinda got man-handled in the 2nd half.

Anyhow, the conditions sucked during the game AND it was clearly quite a hostile environment.

I remember back during the '04 season, the Hawks put up quite an uncharacteristic performance against ASU ... and got manhandled. That game too was during odd conditions ... really late and affected by lightning (if memory serves). Anyhow, I remember Kirk mentioning how it was an uncharacteristic game ... one of the few games where Babs played with pretty poor leverage ... and the whole team played bad.

The game, no doubt, was VERY ugly for Iowa fans ... I know that it hurt to watch for me. However, I really don't think that this game was any sort of true measure for our team. I think that we're a team that is still growing into what we're going to be. We just happened to run into a buzz-saw of a team that is much further ahead of us AT THIS JUNCTURE in the season. Furthermore, the conditions and the environment certainly played into the turn of events.

Much like the '04 ASU game ... that game did NOT define THAT season. Nor do I feel that this game should define THIS season.

The Hawks fought pretty hard through the first half ... but just kinda got man-handled in the 2nd half.

Anyhow, the conditions sucked during the game AND it was clearly quite a hostile environment.

I remember back during the '04 season, the Hawks put up quite an uncharacteristic performance against ASU ... and got manhandled. That game too was during odd conditions ... really late and affected by lightning (if memory serves). Anyhow, I remember Kirk mentioning how it was an uncharacteristic game ... one of the few games where Babs played with pretty poor leverage ... and the whole team played bad.

The game, no doubt, was VERY ugly for Iowa fans ... I know that it hurt to watch for me. However, I really don't think that this game was any sort of true measure for our team. I think that we're a team that is still growing into what we're going to be. We just happened to run into a buzz-saw of a team that is much further ahead of us AT THIS JUNCTURE in the season. Furthermore, the conditions and the environment certainly played into the turn of events.

Much like the '04 ASU game ... that game did NOT define THAT season. Nor do I feel that this game should define THIS season.

I was there. Weather delay. Sat there in wet clothes.

We were down 27-0 at half.

Horrible trip.

at least after that game Iowa switched to a pass first offense, Kirk's already said that "he ain't switchin' cuz of one bad game". Well kirk, how about after 2+ season's worth?

I remember the delay and late night factored into that game. Seemed like we were sleep walking and could just never find a baseline of any kind in offense - so that is similar, but more due to the conditions and bad luck than a late start and late hour. But in this case, I think once Brian’s initial clever plays weren’t executed, that he again had no adjustments in the 2nd half. If QB1 is any where near Tate level, the OC can’t adjust quickly or creatively enough to take advantage of that, or other talent on offense.

I'll never forget, I remember talking to a high school classmate after the game and saying, "yeah they better f***ing figure it out in a hurry", saying that with the understanding that their performance was not indicative of the kind of team they had.

Sure enough, even though they lost the following week at Michigan, they showed a toughness that fans were looking for, and there was the infamous play of Drew Tate getting his helmet ripped off and still staying in the pocket and making a throw downfield for the completion (even though the play was technically dead once Tate's helmet got removed).

Iowa lost, but Iowa fans knew after that, that they had a tough team that was gonna battle each and every week from there on out.

Coincidentally enough, it was Michigan State the following week that the Hawkeyes got off the schnide against and kick-started a run to a Big Ten co-championship.

The problem with the comparisons is that we know how bad this offense is.....we know that the defense is worse than last year.....we know what the finite ceiling is for this team........and we know that they DO NOT have the athletes/roster to compete with the top teams in this conference, or really any other conference (unlike in 2004).

Iowa vs Michigan or Ohio State isn't ending any differently than tonight did, whether the game is played next week or in December. That's the main difference between what tonight means vs what happened against Arizona State in 2004.................................................

The ASU loss was 19 years ago. Due to RB injuries, the 2004 OC had to go away from a running game, and trust an off-script playmaker at QB.

In 2023, Kirk is way more set in his ways, and his son Brian doesn’t have the ability to make adjustments as OC.

This game reminded more of the other recent curb stompings we received from Michigan and OSU. Had chances early but didn't capitalize, then the games just snowballed from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT