ADVERTISEMENT

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement that he looks forward to seeing Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot welcome the migrants...

If only the immigration bill that was basically a formality vote away from landing on Trump's desk would have been passed before Trump decided to blow the whole deal up.

And while there is a healthy dose of sarcasm in that post, I am sorry the bill didn't pass. Anything would be better than what we have now. Congress needs to do something. You can't just have a new President throw a bunch of executive orders together every 4 years and call it an immigration policy. We need a consistent policy and that can only be accomplished through actual legislation.
Sorry, but this post is very disingenuous. We have an immigration policy now. The problem is the democratic party doesn't like it so they completely ignore it. If the policy needs to be changed, then fine let's have that discussion while enforcing the current policy.

The Republican party doesn't see any reason to compromise on a new immigration policy if they know whatever they agree to, the dems will simply ignore anyway.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Use them as pawns in your political game. These are people. They aren't boxes that can just be sent wherever. He could have just as easily sent the busses south but that wouldn't allow for the grandstanding that he truly desires.

The buses originated in Texas,.. The state of Texas would have no legal authority to direct these buses south across the border.

Did he attend a fundraiser after he put them on the bus? You know, like the piece of shit did the night 19 children died in a school in his state?

1. Finish the wall and hire more border patrol agents
  2. Increase and fund the amount of people to process immigration requests faster and to address the backlog of cases in the courts.
  3. For those living here illegally they have 1 year to come forward and declare themselves. Everyone of those will have a thorough background check. Anyone with a misdemeanor or higher (not related to crossing the border) will be deported. The rest will have to pay a 500$ fine each and they can stay. However if they choose to stay they can’t become citizens they will have permanent green card status. Otherwise they may return home for a minimum of 6 months and then get in line which hopefully will be expedited with the increase in immigration personal. Those that choose this route may become citizens. If you don’t come forward in that year and are caught you are automatically deported, no questions asked.
  4. Anyone who crosses the border illegally after or during this one year period is deported and automatically banned from ever entering the United States.
  5. Everyone who chooses to stay will receive a right to work card, those who come for seasonal work will be given the same. Employers and everyone who has a person working for them must verify these cards (this includes farmers). Those employers who are caught will pay a minimum fine of 5000$ for each illegal person they hire.
  6. Children born to people who are “illegally here” will not have automatic citizenship granted to them. Those children born in border states hospitals that have come for medical care or it is the closest hospital will also not have automatic citizenship granted. This should help the hospitals at or near the border.
  7. Any one of these who are not citizens is subsequently convicted of a misdemeanor or higher will be eventually deported.
  8. Green card applications and citizen application processes will be the same but will be expedited with the hiring of more personal.

2. Increase and fund the amount of people to process immigration requests faster and to address the backlog of cases in the courts.
  3. For those living here illegally they have 1 year to come forward and declare themselves. Everyone of those will have a thorough background check. Anyone with a misdemeanor or higher (not related to crossing the border) will be deported. The rest will have to pay a 500$ fine each and they can stay. However if they choose to stay they can’t become citizens they will have permanent green card status. Otherwise they may return home for a minimum of 6 months and then get in line which hopefully will be expedited with the increase in immigration personal. Those that choose this route may become citizens. If you don’t come forward in that year and are caught you are automatically deported, no questions asked.
  4. Anyone who crosses the border illegally after or during this one year period is deported and automatically banned from ever entering the United States.
  5. Everyone who chooses to stay will receive a right to work card, those who come for seasonal work will be given the same. Employers and everyone who has a person working for them must verify these cards (this includes farmers). Those employers who are caught will pay a minimum fine of 5000$ for each illegal person they hire.
  6. Children born to people who are “illegally here” will not have automatic citizenship granted to them. Those children born in border states hospitals that have come for medical care or it is the closest hospital will also not have automatic citizenship granted. This should help the hospitals at or near the border.
  7. Any one of these who are not citizens is subsequently convicted of a misdemeanor or higher will be eventually deported.
  8. Green card applications and citizen application processes will be the same but will be expedited with the hiring of more personal.

I like your list but under item 5, regarding employers of unqualified immigrants, I would bump the fine to $100,000 and then go to fine plus jail time for subsequent offenses...

Sorry, but this post is very disingenuous. We have an immigration policy now. The problem is the democratic party doesn't like it so they completely ignore it. If the policy needs to be changed, then fine let's have that discussion while enforcing the current policy.

The Republican party doesn't see any reason to compromise on a new immigration policy if they know whatever they agree to, the dems will simply ignore anyway.

We haven’t had immigration reform in 40 years, I’d argue it’s long past due.

I’m okay with a wall at strategic locations, to make patrolling and border enforcement easier,

I’ll offer a couple counters:

1) immigrants currently here illegally have 1 year to declare themselves. If they do, they can apply for permanent green card, but can never apply for citizenship. If they commit any criminal violation more serious than a parking ticket, they’re gone. People who were brought here as minors would be able to apply for citizenship, agreed it shouldn’t be automatic.

I would also expand seasonal visas as well.

Above all, add more resources to process people quicker and more fairly, regardless of if it’s an asylum request, green card, etc.

Disagree. I think both of those groups would be completely in favor of the two key first steps:
1. Secure the border to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
2. Fix the process so those who want to come in don't take years to be approved.

The arguing then begins about how many is too many and what should qualifications be for approval, but if those first 2 things happen, we're in a vastly better position as a nation, and both of those groups recognize that.
Well, we'll agree to disagree then, but I think John Boehner would agree with me.

I realize the cost of transportation isn't something that will produce what the Fox News story was intended to do, but what a deal for that bus company:

"Figures released to CNN this week by the Texas Division of Emergency Management in response to an open records request showed the state had spent more than $12 million on the busing program as of August 9. The governor's office has solicited private donations to help defray the cost of the buses, but has received only $167,828 as of August 17.

Texas is not alone among state governments choosing to bus migrants cross-country. Since May, more than 1,500 migrants on board 43 buses have departed from Arizona to Washington, DC, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey's office told CNN. Depending on demand, the state is sending buses to Washington at a rate of around two to three per week, the governor's office said."

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'll let you all in on a secret... they aren't going to stop coming. More and more will keep heading here, so maybe something - anything - should finally be done to address the situation vs stunts like this where these people are being treated like discarded props. And even when they aren't the lack of a good system in place is worse because it creates this situation we are currently in.

I'll let you all in on a secret... they aren't going to stop coming. More and more will keep heading here, so maybe something - anything - should finally be done to address the situation vs stunts like this where these people are being treated like discarded props. And even when they aren't the lack of a good system in place is worse because it creates this situation we are currently in.

Personally, I don't see these buses as stunts,.. More like a visible demonstration of reality for areas of the country that think this is just happening "down there".

This.

We have a policy that is actively being ignored by this administration.

I don't think we should do anything before beheading a farmer or concrete contractor using illegal labor on CSPAN. It's small business owners who are hiring these folks.

Personally, I don't see these buses as stunts,.. More like a visible demonstration of reality for areas of the country that think this is just happening "down there".
12 million would hire quite a few border patrol agents.

I'm not sure which law you are referring to. From what I can tell, it's a bunch of random laws combined with state laws combined with revolving executive orders that have created an unmanageable mess. So, "keep it as it is" isn't a good response either. It certainly doesn't address the issue.

I believe it because many immigrants have been interviewed publicly and they often say, "thanks Joe Biden".

And that makes you think Biden wanted them here? Do you see any faults in that logic?

If a pedophile just got done molesting a kid and said "thanks Finance85" is that evidence that you wanted them to molest children?

I know you're old, but you're not that stupid.

So what are the republican proposals put forth by Congress to reform immigration?

The most viable one I can recall was headed up by Marco Rubio when Bush junior was in office...

I haven't read all the posts so maybe someone has already posted this.

If the bus is going back empty, Chicago should return the favor. I wonder, who should Chicago send back on the bus?

If the bus is going back empty, Chicago should return the favor. I wonder, who should Chicago send back on the bus?
To Texas? I doubt if Pritzker is a particularly nice guy but no way he's enough of a douche to exile even Illinois's hardest criminal to shithole Texas.

Reactions: SB_SB
Everyone keeps saying we need reform. That's code word for amnesty.

Enforce the damn laws.

Deport and then deport more.
JFC - no one is talking about amnesty. Turn off the propaganda.

What you're saying is the immigration laws and funding to execute are just fine the way they are now. That's stupid. If nothing else more resources need to be provided and the processing requirements streamlined.

But I'm curious what the republican leadership is proposing to make things better. What is their policy position on the matter?

Republicans?

I haven't read all the posts so maybe someone has already posted this. If the bus is going back empty, Chicago should return the favor. I wonder, who should Chicago send back on the bus?

Tony La Russa comes to mind...

Use them as pawns in your political game. These are people. They aren't boxes that can just be sent wherever. He could have just as easily sent the busses south but that wouldn't allow for the grandstanding that he truly desires.
South to Mexico?

What's your solution @RileyHawk

And that makes you think Biden wanted them here? Do you see any faults in that logic?

If a pedophile just got done molesting a kid and said "thanks Finance85" is that evidence that you wanted them to molest children?

I know you're old, but you're not that stupid.
Nope, I wouldn't be stupid enough to come up with that kind of analogy.

JFC - no one is talking about amnesty. Turn off the propaganda.

What you're saying is the immigration laws and funding to execute are just fine the way they are now. That's stupid. If nothing else more resources need to be provided and the processing requirements streamlined.

But I'm curious what the republican leadership is proposing to make things better. What is their policy position on the matter?

Wrong. Many in your party are talking about amnesty.

Nope, I wouldn't be stupid enough to come up with that kind of analogy.

It's the same exact logic you're employing.

Person A: "Thanks Person B"

Finance85 logic: Therefore Person B must have wanted whatever Person A has done.

Person A could be migrants illegally crossing into the US or a pedophile molesting a child. Person B could be Joe Biden or Finance85.

Clearly I was wrong. Old and stupid. Maybe years ago, you weren't, we'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT