ADVERTISEMENT

Sanctuary City Denver - spends millions on transporting migrants to other parts of US.

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Typical Lib move going on here, we're all in on this Sanctuary City thing until they actually show up.

The city of Denver has spent millions of dollars in the last year transporting thousands of migrants to other parts of the country, officials confirmed this week.

CBS News first reported that Denver has spent nearly $4.5 million transporting more than 12,000 migrants out-of-state.

CBS reported that the transport costs are for plane, bus and train tickets, although the number of plane tickets was relatively few with only a few hundred purchased.

Denver Mayor Mike Johnston was one of a number of mayors who recently appealed to the White House for financial help from the federal government. They are seeking $5 billion in aid, while the administration is seeking around $1.4 billion from Congress as part of a $14 billion supplemental for border security.

Denver confirmed in September that its expenses for migrant sheltering were close to $25 million. The city had declared a state of emergency late last year after numbers shot up in December.

Denver put certain limits on migrant shelter earlier this year, including a 30-day limit for how long migrants can stay in a shelter, as well as bars on returns and migrants engaging in "illegal activity."

Migrant transportation has been a controversial political issue, particularly after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced last year that he would bus migrants to sanctuary cities. He has also sent buses to Denver.

Meanwhile, in New York City where there have been over 130,000 migrant arrivals since last year, the city has slashed budgets for education, policing and sanitation, citing the spiraling costs of the crisis it is facing.

First, pretty big (misleading) omission from the article in the OP as follows:

“We provide migrant guests who wish to stay in Denver with shelter and support. However, we also understand that many individuals arriving in Denver from the southern border have other destinations in mind," the spokesperson said. "This is often because they have built-in support systems from family and friends in those cities, or because they believe they will have a better chance at finding work that suits their skills. "Our priority is to ensure migrant guests are treated fairly and are placed in the situation that fits their needs. Individual tickets are purchased based on destination requests directly from migrants to various cities, after insurances are gathered that the individual or family truly desires the intended location.”

Second, our elected officials have to do better with immigration policy. I live near where hundreds of migrants (mostly Venezuelans) are housed and sleeping in tents in Denver. The community support is incredible, but it isn’t sustainable forever, particularly for the migrants who are simply looking for a better life (the American dream).

First, pretty big (misleading) omission from the article in the OP as follows:

“We provide migrant guests who wish to stay in Denver with shelter and support. However, we also understand that many individuals arriving in Denver from the southern border have other destinations in mind," the spokesperson said. "This is often because they have built-in support systems from family and friends in those cities, or because they believe they will have a better chance at finding work that suits their skills. "Our priority is to ensure migrant guests are treated fairly and are placed in the situation that fits their needs. Individual tickets are purchased based on destination requests directly from migrants to various cities, after insurances are gathered that the individual or family truly desires the intended location.”

Second, our elected officials have to do better with immigration policy. I live near where hundreds of migrants (mostly Venezuelans) are housed and sleeping in tents in Denver. The community support is incredible, but it isn’t sustainable forever, particularly for the migrants who are simply looking for a better life (the American dream).
I was always told by the liberals we needed these illegals because without them the price of fruit would skyrocket.

You can't pick oranges in Denver.

Reactions: Scruddy
I was always told by the liberals we needed these illegals because without them the price of fruit would skyrocket.

You can't pick oranges in Denver.
What are you blathering about? Your OP makes it seem Denver is just shipping people out because they don’t want to deal with the problem. That’s nonsense.
Do better ( if you can).

Last edited:
What are you blathering about? Your OP makes it seem Denver is just shipping people out because they don’t want to deal with the problem. That’s nonsense.
Do better ( if you can).

They don't.

It’s time we shift the blame to Canada. Send em up. must be a lot of land to build shelter up there with all dem wildfires

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Do better ( if you can).

Martha's Vineyard
New York
Chicago
Denver

They don't want them there pretty plain and simple.

Liberals love being called a Sanctuary City up until the illegals actually show up.

I am 95% certain at least one of those bums was on my United flight from Denver to Minneapolis. I remember seeing him board the plane and thinking he looked homeless. As he walked down the aisle you could just see everyone’s face cringe at the piss smell. I feel bad for whoever had to sit next to him.

I am 95% certain at least one of those bums was on my United flight from Denver to Minneapolis. I remember seeing him board the plane and thinking he looked homeless. As he walked down the aisle you could just see everyone’s face cringe at the piss smell. I feel bad for whoever had to sit next to him.
I feel just as bad for the citizens of Denver whose tax money paid for his plane ticket.

You can fix a lot of potholes for 4.5 million.

I feel just as bad for the citizens of Denver whose tax money paid for his plane ticket.

You can fix a lot of potholes for 4.5 million.
I’d be willing to bet a homeless person costs the city and its taxpayers more than $375. That’s one trip to the ER or a couples doses of narcan.

All those billions in aid being requested will be ongoing expenses, and could all be avoided with using the same amount of money securing the border.

This thread explains so much about this country. We sure have a lot of people who are either purposefully ignorant or can't read.

I bet it's difficult being an immigrant and being away from your family. Thanks for posting this.
Particularly when you get bussed to a frozen climate in winter time after crossing 7 countries to get to the USA in search of a better life. Denver and its citizens are working hard to take care of these people, but they all still don't have proper clothing for the winter.

So why don't the parties get together and agree to some sensible immigration policy?
We already take in more legal immigrants than the next five countries combined. Any sensible reform has to start with stemming the flow of illegal immigrants. Unless we do that, any reform is meaningless. And there is only one party that doesn't want to stem that flow.

Particularly when you get bussed to a frozen climate in winter time after crossing 7 countries to get to the USA in search of a better life. Denver and its citizens are working hard to take care of these people, but they all still don't have proper clothing for the winter.
JFC.......

Reactions: Scruddy
We already take in more legal immigrants than the next five countries combined. Any sensible reform has to start with stemming the flow of illegal immigrants. Unless we do that, any reform is meaningless. And there is only one party that doesn't want to stem that flow.
Ok, so let's say Dems agree to a couple hundred miles of a physical wall to start, what will the Repubs agree to as a starting point?

Lolol clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT