ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans don't want to do debates anymore.

Sent the questions to candidates prior to the debate.

Your second paragraph is all speculation.

When did they do that?

And even if they did if both candidates got the questions it's still FAIR. Might not be as good of a debate but it's still fair.

Realistically it doesn't matter what questions are asked though. Both sides will just talk about something completely different from the question they are asked if they don't like the question.

Is it that they don't want to debate or they don't want to debate under the current platform?

Shitty analogy here:

The way I read it is they are tired of playing away and are looking for a neutral site game.

They arn't willing to worth with the organization anymore.

So they are going to try to set up their own game and their own rules and likely then blame the Dems for not wanting to play by their rules.

What did the commission on presidential debates do that you considered unfair?

This is simply an extension of the complaints Trump made in 2020, especially about moderators he perceived as biased (i.e., not letting trump go off on his fantasy-based rants).

You could sell me on moving the debates a bit earlier than they are currently, say have the last one no later than Columbus Day. But most of them involve rules that have been around a long time. It’s not a coincidence they didn’t have major issues pre-trump.

Valid question. One to which I do not know.

I really doubt there was anything unfair that went on here. This is just more of the R's playing the victim here.

Everything and everyone is out to get us.

Lambaugh used to say anything that wasn't specifically conservative in nature was liberal. That was just the priming for this victim culture the right has now. They view anything that doesn't favor them specifically as unfair.

This is simply an extension of the complaints Trump made in 2020, especially about moderators he perceived as biased (i.e., not letting trump go off on his fantasy-based rants).

You could sell me on moving the debates a bit earlier than they are currently, say have the last one no later than Columbus Day. But most of them involve rules that have been around a long time. It’s not a coincidence they didn’t have major issues pre-trump.

Because Romney thought that being a gentleman was still required...Candy Crowley got away with playing for Obama’s team.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Well our current POTUS does have diminished capacity- but Trump is edging ever closer too.
Joe v. Don would be a sad thing in ‘24.

Trump was never there in the first place. He talked about jailing Hilary and McCain not being a war hero during the campaign. Not to mention how he promised to both raise and lower taxes.

During his presidency we were treated to windmill cancer and the plausibility of ingesting disinfectant to cure COVID.

Trump was never there.

Because Romney thought that being a gentleman was still required...Candy Crowley got away with playing for Obama’s team.

Guess I don’t remember the ‘12 debates that well. Sure don’t recall a huge uproar at the time from conservative media.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Eventually, there will be some sort of debate. Of course, it'll happen after a lot of gamesmanship by the parties, but at the end of the day, both parties understand that the population will expect it and will negotiate something, whether via the CPD, with someone else, or perhaps even in more of an unmoderated lincoln-douglass type format. About the only circumstances I could imagine where there wouldn't be one would be if one party were just so ahead in the polls there would be no upside to participating, and I have a hard time imagining those circumstances.

Reactions: goldmom
Eventually, there will be some sort of debate. Of course, it'll happen after a lot of gamesmanship by the parties, but at the end of the day, both parties understand that the population will expect it and will negotiate something, whether via the CPD, with someone else, or perhaps even in more of an unmoderated lincoln-douglass type format. About the only circumstances I could imagine where there wouldn't be one would be if one party were just so ahead in the polls there would be no upside to participating, and I have a hard time imagining those circumstances.
This. It’s pre-game warmups. Both sides should agree to the most non-partisan method and persons so the debate is 100% on content.

Really? I don't trust that the two sides will be able to agree on that sort of thing. And we havn't been shy recently about breaking traditions.

Quite frankly I hate that the R's are using this to again play victim but I'm also not sure we need the debates. No one answers the questions, they just grandstand a bunch. No one's views or suitability is really being tested here.
They are just warring campaign commercials.

Reactions: cigaretteman
If both candidates received the questions in advance I don’t think there’s any disadvantage. It doesn’t make for a good debate though.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Really? I don't trust that the two sides will be able to agree on that sort of thing. And we havn't been shy recently about breaking traditions.

Quite frankly I hate that the R's are using this to again play victim but I'm also not sure we need the debates. No one answers the questions, they just grandstand a bunch. No one's views or suitability is really being tested here.
I think the characterization of the R’s being “victims “ is leftist language and is how they deal with pushback.
The link above about Donna Brazile is just one example of what they mean and they hate it when an R punches back.

This. It’s pre-game warmups. Both sides should agree to the most non-partisan method and persons so the debate is 100% on content.

The quality of a debate ALWAYS comes down to the quality of the moderator, leaving aside everything else. To be fair this is not a new problem and it’s always a tough balance between not getting bogged down on one question vs trying to get a candidate to actually answer a question.

Reactions: goldmom
Everything the GOP does they do unanimously. There is not room for any difference of opinion. Try to stand on your own principals and they freeze you out. Romney, Liz Cheney, Adam K.... Heck, even Madison Crawthorn when he stopped with the Putin agenda long enough to call them out for cocaine fueled orgies. Who invites the guy in a wheelchair to an orgy anyway?

Reactions: BelemNole
Everything the GOP does they do unanimously. There is not room for any difference of opinion. Try to stand on your own principals and they freeze you out. Romney, Liz Cheney, Adam K.... Heck, even Madison Crawthorn when he stopped with the Putin agenda long enough to call them out for cocaine fueled orgies. Who invites the guy in a wheelchair to an orgy anyway?
This is why the Republicans are better at the game of politics though.

yes, really. this is a quadrennial exercise. Sometimes i am amazed at the degree to which people are like dogs in that they think that everything is going to last forever.

Who would the right wingers on here support as a moderator?

Fox20Nation.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT