ADVERTISEMENT

Rib roast vs “steakhouse “ roast?

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
I’m having some guys over tomorrow night for a boozy white elephant Christmas sausage party. I think I’m going to make a roast. My local Harris Teeter has what they call a steakhouse roast on sale. It’s around the same price, maybe a little higher than a rib roast. Never really been a big fan of a rib roast because there’s too much fat. I did some research and apparently the steakhouse roast is a New York strip loin roast. Anybody have any experience with this? From what I’m reading, it looks like it would be great. I just never made it.

Truthfully, I was going to make a play on it and get a bunch of sausages from my local Amish market. I may do it if I decide the roast won’t work.

Frankly, a good quality Chuck roast is just as good as good as a rib roast when smoked. I use prime chucks as more appropriately proportioned meats for small groups to replace both rib roasts and briskets. To magically turn a Chuck into a Central Texas style brisket, you smoke it at 185 until it hits 135, then wrap it in butchers paper with some tallow, ghee or butter and smoke it at the higher temp of 250 until it hits about 185-190. Then unwrap it and crank the heat up to maximum and put it back in to crisp the bark. When it hits 195-200 and the bark looks good, take it out and wrap it and rest it for a few hours. While it’s resting it should pop up to roughly 205.

That will get you normal steakhouse prime rib tenderness. If you want ultra high end restaurant prime rib tenderness, then you sous vide it the previous day in beef better than bouillon stock at 125 for 10-12 hours and then rest it in the fridge until it hits at least 70 degrees. Then smoke it at 185 until it hits 118 to 120 and then let it rest. It just depends on what you’re going for texture-wise.

Last edited:
I miss the early covid days when some idiot chef downtown "didn't want" the "leftover" spinalis trimmings for his restaurant and was selling it to our club chef for pennies on the dollar in terms of its value.

I’m having some guys over tomorrow night for a boozy white elephant Christmas sausage party. I think I’m going to make a roast. My local Harris Teeter has what they call a steakhouse roast on sale. It’s around the same price, maybe a little higher than a rib roast. Never really been a big fan of a rib roast because there’s too much fat. I did some research and apparently the steakhouse roast is a New York strip loin roast. Anybody have any experience with this? From what I’m reading, it looks like it would be great. I just never made it.
What if it's not prime? If it's Choice or Select? I don't like some of these guys enough to spend the money on prime.

Prime Rib is named from where they get the cut. Nothing to do with quality.

Choice is just fine.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
What if it's not prime? If it's Choice or Select? I don't like some of these guys enough to spend the money on prime.

Prime Rib is just another name for standing rib roast and it can be of any quality. If I buy a choice standing rib roast and cook it as a roast to medium rare I will call it “prime rib”. Ribeye steaks are just steaks cut off the bones of the standing rib roast.

But like I said earlier, just use a chuck roast. You can usually get a prime Chuck for less per pound than a choice standing rib roast and it’s as good or better. Especially if you treat it like a high end restaurant and sous vide it first like I also mentioned earlier.

I have smoked chuckies like a brisket before, and wasn't a fan. But I wasn't using prime grade chuck roast.

However, chuck is great for making faux burnt ends...

Actually I roast strip loins commonly as an any day alternative vs a ribeye for a 'special occasion'. It's a flatter piece of meat so it's much harder to cook evenly when done on its side as a roast. Your best bet is to sous vide it for 24 hours to about 130 and then reverse sear it in your oven under high heat for about 15 minutes. That's true of rib roasts as well, but especially for strip roasts.

It's a cheaper alternative to a rib roast that yields more meat for those of us that don't eat the fat and gristle. It's not traditionally done but you'll get a similar texture, just a little leaner.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Frankly, a good quality Chuck roast is just as good as good as a rib roast when smoked. I use prime chucks as more appropriately proportioned meats for small groups to replace both rib roasts and briskets. To magically turn a Chuck into a Central Texas style brisket, you smoke it at 185 until it hits 135, then wrap it in butchers paper with some tallow, ghee or butter and smoke it at 250 until it hits about 118. That will get you normal steakhouse prime rib tenderness. If you want ultra high end restaurant prime rib tenderness, then you sous vide it the previous day in beef better than bouillon stock at 125 for 10-12 hours and then rest it in the fridge until it hits at least 70 degrees. Then smoke it at 185 until it hits 118 to 120 and then let it rest. It just depends on what you’re going for texture-wise.

So you cook at 185 degrees to get it to 135 degrees, the. cook at 250 degrees to get it…….cooler? At 118 degrees? Am I missing something?

So you cook at 185 degrees to get it to 135 degrees, the. cook at 250 degrees to get it…….cooler? At 118 degrees? Am I missing something?

Don't question... just go with it.

Anyway, I think he meant to cook it in the wrap until it gets to 200-ish degrees.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You're in Trad's wheelhouse now...

Sorry, I fixed it. The website keeps crashing while I was typing and I didn’t know it deleted part of it. You want to have the fake brisket hit at least 185 before you crank the heat up. And you want it to be at 195-200 before you rest it the final time as it will creep up another 5-10 degrees before coming back down.

Last edited:
Went with a strip loin roast and doing this recipe. Have it sitting overnight with the paste on it now. Wife has cooked tenderloin like this with high heat initially then lower. Produces a great crust.

That looks amazing. Can I come to the sausage party?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT