ADVERTISEMENT

Ribs Today!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I'm trying this method from Chud's BBQ today, but no... I'm not just using salt and pepper, and yes, I'm using a water pan, and no, I'm not putting any pepper sauce on during the wrap, but yes, I am doing the sugary spritz (except I'm using a mop).

So, I trimmed them the same way and will be cooking on the Kettle, but I put a thick layer of Meat Church Honey Hog rub, followed by a lighter coat of Meat Church The Gospel rub. I'm using half apple cider vinegar and half apple juice for the mop.

Per Chud's method, I'll add a sweetener (honey for me) to the mop after the second flip. During the wrap, I have some reserved bacon grease but I'll also add some butter, more of the Honey Hog rub, and a honey drizzle.

Against my better judgment, I DID leave the membrane on per Chud's method.

I'll let y'all know how it goes, and GO DOLPHINS!

Last edited:
Ribs are good. What else you got? Beans? Cornbread? Potato salad? Corn salad? Potatoes au gratin? Scotch?

Ribs are good. What else you got? Beans? Cornbread? Potato salad? Corn salad? Potatoes au gratin? Scotch?

Mrs. Tradition (no pics) is making pasta salad and I'll be grilling some corn on the cob while the ribs are resting.

I love ribs, almost as much as seafood. Thankfully, down where I live there are 3 or 4 really good rib places to dine at.

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

He’s got cooking and tomatoes. Don’t spread him too thin.

Tomatoes have been disappointing so far this fall growing season. I have lots of leaves and flowers, but fruit set just doesn't seem to be happening for some reason.

I never remove the membrane when cooking ribs. I don't think it does anything to improve the taste or texture - it is simply an added step that accomplishes nothing.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I never remove the membrane when cooking ribs. I don't think it does anything to improve the taste or texture - it is simply an added step that accomplishes nothing.
Besides not having to chew through a membrane when you take a bite. Worth it in my opinion

Reactions: wjr1818

I do agree that the rub can't get through the membrane to the meat so that's a good reason to remove it, but Chud's theory that it locks in fat (and therefore flavor and juiciness) is what I'm exploring today.

It'll be a long cook since I'm smoking a whole spare rack (except the chine bone was removed), so I'm hoping Chud is right and the membrane will be pretty much broken down at the end.

Reactions: SeaPA
I'm sorry I ruined your thread with my stupid cooking methods. I just wanted be part of the group. I guess I was wrong.
I like your cooking method. I sometimes do that with a lot of chicken thighs and make a ton of pulled chicken for lunches. Chicken salad, bbq chicken sandwich, chicken on baked potato, chicken and broccoli. Chicken on a salad

Reactions: Fan In Black
I like your cooking method. I sometimes do that with a lot of chicken thighs and make a ton of pulled chicken for lunches. Chicken salad, bbq chicken sandwich, chicken on baked potato, chicken and broccoli. Chicken on a salad

You're like the Forrest Gump of chicken.

Trad, I look at those pics and know I'm gonna to binge watch some tv now. No way I'll be able to sleep after seeing those.

I agree with his cooking method, not really how he trimmed them but whatever, spare ribs ftw

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT