ADVERTISEMENT

The BEST EVER Easter Ham thread...

Anyway, that slice I had was a total flavor bomb. But salty.

Hoping the second round in the smoker smoothes that out a bit.

Stay tuned!

And we're back!

The ham has been slathered with Dijon mustard and a heavy coating of the Meat Church Honey Hog rub has been applied. Time to get out on the smoker!

yHNbMek.jpeg

We'll be finishing this ham on the Weber Kettle today (makes the glazing step easier).

CfXy7xr.jpeg

Reactions: Lindemann
After 45 minutes the ham was temping in the 70s, so I flipped it around so the other side was facing the fire. I'm looking for the seasoning to set up so that it doesn't stick to my finger when I touch it. Not quite there yet.

In the meantime, I'm getting this prepared and ready for the smoker:

And we're back!

The ham has been slathered with Dijon mustard and a heavy coating of the Meat Church Honey Hog rub has been applied. Time to get out on the smoker!

yHNbMek.jpeg

We'll be finishing this ham on the Weber Kettle today (makes the glazing step easier).

CfXy7xr.jpeg
You have a passion for cooking. Talent, dunno. Regardless, you and Jack Scalfani should compete to get on August the Duck's youtube channel :)

Do it man. Be a oo toob star.

Reactions: NoleATL
That looks solid.

Meat 1/3 was terrific. One of the better butts I've made. And I had to deal with the auger gumming up (old pellets, think they pulled in some moisture) and shutting the smoker off. But it pulled through after some quick maintenance. The toLet it rest all night in a cooler. 12 hours later it was still warm and shredded like butter.

Just put the rib roast and ham on.

Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

A couple of post-cook thoughts...

#1 The charcoal snake in the Pit Barrel Cooker is a winner! It performed beyond my expectations!

#2 I should have left it in the curing solution a tiny bit longer. There were some small gray areas in the meat where the cure didn't fully penetrate. Maybe half a day more would have done the trick. Didn't hurt the taste though.

#3 That sweet potato casserole with the pecan and bacon streusel on top? Freaking KILLER!

#4 Overall, I'm very pleased with this cook. The ham was outstanding... juicy and sweet and smoky... and it didn't taste overly salty like it did yesterday. Just fabulous.

Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

#1 The charcoal snake in the Pit Barrel Cooker is a winner! It performed beyond my expectations!

#2 I should have left it in the curing solution a tiny bit longer. There were some small gray areas in the meat where the cure didn't fully penetrate. Maybe half a day more would have done the trick. Didn't hurt the taste though.

#3 That sweet potato casserole with the pecan and bacon streusel on top? Freaking KILLER!

#4 Overall, I'm very pleased with this cook. The ham was outstanding... juicy and sweet and smoky... just fabulous.

I believe you said yesterday that it seemed a little salty. Did It come out of it with today's reheat?

If you brine it longer do you need to clean water soak it longer? I thought you also reduced your soak time from what you originally planned.

I believe you said yesterday that it seemed a little salty. Did It come out of it with today's reheat?

If you brine it longer do you need to clean water soak it longer? I thought you also reduced your soak time from what you originally planned.

The saltiness went away during the double-smoking process. If I wasn't going to double-smoke I would definitely soak in plain water for a lot longer.

Another game-day change in plans was the smoker wood for the double-smoke. It was REALLY smoky yesterday so no more hickory, and that would have been too strong for the sweet potatoes, too... so I used peach wood. Very nice.

Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

#4 Overall, I'm very pleased with this cook. The ham was outstanding... juicy and sweet and smoky... and it didn't taste overly salty like it did yesterday. Just fabulous.
It looks great Trad. Next year do a ham from the hind.

Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

Yum. Looks like I’ll be having prime rib or some such steak at Blue Ridge Grill.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

It looks like it came out pretty much exactly like your planned it and hoped for it, very happy for you.

Grab a slice:

Tl3LwiC.jpeg

I have to say, that looks like some kind of wonderful. My only criticism is that for all of that work, I would have done more. Looks like crack ham that would go very quickly, with people fighting for seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT