ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till was part of Senior Night. Pemsl Transferring. We are now at 13 on Scholarship for 2020-21

So you think that his getting hurt made other players play better?

Yep, that 10 minutes he played in the DePaul game was the reason Hawks got blown out and his 11 points 7 rebounds had nothing to do with contributing to the win against a decent North Florida team (forget his double double against Oral Roberts). I’m also going to blame him for the Purdue game even though he didn’t play but because he is from Indiana.

I think we've been over this before but, Patrick is not able to be taken off scholarship and moved to walk-on status. Big Ten has rule that states players who begin their playing career on scholarship may not be switched to walk-on status and remain on the team.
However, Connor, if you remember, did start off as a walk-on. So, Connor is able to be moved back to walk-on status because he started off as a walk-on.
Not claiming to be an expert here, but I do believe that if Pemsl stays, and Luka does not go pro then this IS the only option. It would also make the most sense since Fran has to have had a plan in place all along in order to sign five players knowing full well he would have to lose 2 somewhere. The only two he had complete control over is making Till's deal one year only, and then Cmac's.

We've played better defense since Bohannon has sat out and we are better at getting the ball into the post. That being said the kid is a stud and I am more than happy to see him stay another year on the team. He is invaluable at the end of the games. I could see him be the Big Ten 6th man of the year next year and be "the man" at clutch time.
Lol! Thanks. :)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nunge head to a mid major

We've played better defense since Bohannon has sat out (he can't guard a pick and roll well) and we are better at getting the ball into the post. That being said the kid is an offensive stud and I am more than happy to see him stay another year on the team. He is invaluable at the end of the games. I could see him be the Big Ten 6th man of the year next year and be "the man" at clutch time.
My reply was about Nunge, not Bohannon.

Things will work out. They won’t show up next fall with one too many guys. The last time Iowa returned everyone who was eligible to return it was the 2017-18 season and that turned into a 4-14 conference season.

You can’t do anything less than full scholarships in D1 football or basketball ( although having Fran pay for one essentially is splitting the McCaffrey boys scholarships).

The odds are a player or two will leave every year . Look around at college basketball and it’s just the way it is. Next year with 5 freshman plus Patrick McCaffrey in that class there will be guys that leave I am sure. Simply because there won’t be a ton of playing time for most of them next year. That’s fine. Some will emerge as legit players as some will figure out they’d rather be somewhere else.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in projecting rosters even a year or two down the road in college basketball. It’s too fluid now, and with the rule change of getting one free transfer without sitting out it probable will become more fluid.

Reactions: ChuckBarkley
Just throwing that against the wall to see if it sticks?
You would think. I guess we could all be shocked, but I just don't see Jbo wanting to finish his career somewhere else. The Garza thing, hell nobody knows. My point with it being Till and Cmac is thats the only combination where Fran could have known and had any way of controlling what happens before this season started, and I don't think he would have signed 5 players if he didn't know what he was going to do. There is no way he could have predicted Luka's season , Pmacs issues or most of the other scenarios beforehand.

I think removing a player who is not a B10 quality player from the rotation makes the overall team better.
Wow. I didn't realize how highly you must value your ability to judge a player who you've seen play a handful of times. You must be pretty damn good if you think your judgment is better than the Iowa staff.

See "hubris" in the dictionary. You exemplify it.

Their parents wouldn't stand to directly financially benefit from Iowa winning games like Fran does.

Fran pays out the cost of a scholarship to keep JBO on the team and makes 10 times that if Iowa has a successful season.

I can't remember the exact amounts but his bonuses are very perfomance oriented.

This argument makes no sense. Fran would stand to benefit far, far more by taking two 4-star recruits as walk-ons and then supplementing with two more scholarship players.

We know for certain that a scholarship can’t be taken away as long as you are in good standing. Do we know for certain that it can’t be given up?

We know for certain that a scholarship can’t be taken away as long as you are in good standing. Do we know for certain that it can’t be given up?

I would tend to think that it's going to be one in the same. This would get abused all the time and would also really incentivize other kinds of shady benefits.

Coach: "I need your scholarship for a new top freshman"
Player: "I've heard you can't take scholarships"
Coach: "No, but you can give it up."
Player: "No thanks, I like a free education"
Coach: "Talk to Mr. Booster. He and I have discussed this and you'll be taken care of."

Reactions: kceasthawk

not true. It’s a year to year thing. Obviously most kids once on scholarship stay on.

not true. It’s a year to year thing. Obviously most kids once on scholarship stay on.

The scholarship can be renewed, or not, but I don't think the NCAA allows you to flip kids who came on as scholarship players to walk-on status just so you can pile more kids on the roster. If that were possible a lot of redshirting players would become temporary walk-ons.

Kids who came in as walk-ons can get a scholarship for a year and either keep it or then fall back off. Maybe Connor goes back to being a walk-on, but I doubt it. Look at the optics of that:
  • 4-star recruit by pretty much every service I ever saw, including ESPN's top 100 list
  • Has started for most of a year and a half
  • Generally seen as a legit B1G starter and "glue" guy for a pretty good Iowa team this year
Reward: Walk-on status.

I get that Fran can afford college, but putting Connor on walk-on status (and Patrick for that matter, a higher ranked recruit than Connor) is nothing but gaming scholarship limits. I'd be fine if Fran did it, but I don't think it's fair to put an expectation out there. Frank Garza can afford to pay tuition as well. If Luka is back next year, should he be a walk-on?

The scholarship can be renewed, or not, but I don't think the NCAA allows you to flip kids who came on as scholarship players to walk-on status just so you can pile more kids on the roster. If that were possible a lot of redshirting players would become temporary walk-ons.

Kids who came in as walk-ons can get a scholarship for a year and either keep it or then fall back off. Maybe Connor goes back to being a walk-on, but I doubt it. Look at the optics of that:
  • 4-star recruit by pretty much every service I ever saw, including ESPN's top 100 list
  • Generally seen as a legit B1G starter and "glue" guy for a pretty good Iowa team this year

I get that Fran can afford college, but putting Connor on walk-on status (and Patrick for that matter, a higher ranked recruit than Connor) is nothing but gaming scholarship limits. I'd be fine if Fran did it, but I don't think it's fair to put an expectation out there. Frank Garza can afford to pay tuition as well. If Luka is back next year, should he be a walk-on?
The bottom line is you put yourself in a situation where you've knowingly overbooked for scholarships, you certainly have a plan in place well beforehand to alleviate that (I'm gonna go a long way out on a tiny limb and suggest Fran and Iowa are well aware of all of this......).

And when you have two Sons who have DI ability, you are a complete moron in a multimillion dollar occupation to not use that to your advantage IF YOU CAN. It's legal, there are no slippery slopes.

And I don't care if Luka Garza is Luka Gates or Luka Buffet, you don't go to the parents of a "rich kid" to negotiate a scholarship change when you're the Coach, and stand to make the biggest gain financially and otherwise.

Maybe I'm missing something, but not sure why anyone would have any consternation over any of it, or what exactly the problem is, because I don't see one.

And if I were Riley Till, I'd get my degree, move on with my life and play hoops at the local YMCA as time allows.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc

Doug McDermott averaged over 22 points a game as a junior and was rewarded with walk on status. The B1G is usually a little more stringent than others. I was just asking if it was a possibility with the rules in place. Not debating the ethics of doing so.

And if I were Riley Till, I'd get my degree, move on with my life and play hoops at the local YMCA as time allows.

Yes agree. I get he might want to play and score more, but best case scenario is he never plays much of any “organized” ball ever again after that. Is his story going to be “yeah, was at Iowa for a few years but played my best ball at D2 directional college!” Get the degree, get a real job, get on with the only career option you’ve got...

Reactions: 24 so far
If you are the coach of a power conference program and have 2 of your own kids on your roster of course you take advantage of that and have both, one or none on scholarship as the situation warrants if those are your options under the rules. You would have to be an idiot not to use that to your advantage and pay a 100k per year or more in tuition and other costs if that's what it takes to have a better chance at putting together a winning roster. And since Iowa is one of the least expensive B1G schools it makes even more sense to pay the freight yourself. If it doesn't violate the rules, he should pay their way to free up schollies if necessary.

The bottom line is you put yourself in a situation where you've knowingly overbooked for scholarships, you certainly have a plan in place well beforehand to alleviate that (I'm gonna go a long way out on a tiny limb and suggest Fran and Iowa are well aware of all of this......).

And when you have two Sons who have DI ability, you are a complete moron in a multimillion dollar occupation to not use that to your advantage IF YOU CAN. It's legal, there are no slippery slopes.

And I don't care if Luka Garza is Luka Gates or Luka Buffet, you don't go to the parents of a "rich kid" to negotiate a scholarship change when you're the Coach, and stand to make the biggest gain financially and otherwise.

Maybe I'm missing something, but not sure why anyone would have any consternation over any of it, or what exactly the problem is, because I don't see one.

If they choose to do that with Connor, I have no real issue with it, as he came in as a walk-on and the restrictions to things like training table are long gone. I just took umbrage with the earlier posts saying that it should happen because Fran can afford it and stands to gain from Connor playing. I still contend that the idea that Fran should pay his boys' way because he stands to gain financially from good teams is a ridiculous argument. He actually stands to gain more by snaking his two top 100 recruits in as walk-ons so that he can add more talent to his roster.

Not true. In the Big 10 scholarships are now guaranteed for four years.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...t-major-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships/
I believe the rule only applies to athletes who signed national letters of intent. That allows them to give lesser scholarships to walk-ons such as Till. I am not sure that Connor ever signed one as he originally was only going to play baseball his first year.
https://qctimes.com/sports/basketba...cle_4c08783f-d9f6-5d49-b361-1b952ffd611f.html
Patrick signed an NLI.
https://www.thegazette.com/bloodlines-give-hawkeyes-some-basketball-oxygen-20181121

Not true. In the Big 10 scholarships are now guaranteed for four years.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...t-major-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships/
I believe the rule only applies to athletes who signed national letters of intent. That allows them to give lesser scholarships to walk-ons such as Till. I am not sure that Connor ever signed one as he originally was only going to play baseball his first year.
https://qctimes.com/sports/basketba...cle_4c08783f-d9f6-5d49-b361-1b952ffd611f.html
Patrick signed an NLI.
https://www.thegazette.com/bloodlines-give-hawkeyes-some-basketball-oxygen-20181121

Guaranteed for 4 years if you remain in good standing. It doesn’t address being able to give up the scholarship. Significant differences

If they choose to do that with Connor, I have no real issue with it, as he came in as a walk-on and the restrictions to things like training table are long gone. I just took umbrage with the earlier posts saying that it should happen because Fran can afford it and stands to gain from Connor playing. I still contend that the idea that Fran should pay his boys' way because he stands to gain financially from good teams is a ridiculous argument. He actually stands to gain more by snaking his two top 100 recruits in as walk-ons so that he can add more talent to his roster.

1. It doesn't matter if you have an issue with it or not. Sorry, it just doesn't.

2. And by "adding talent to his roster" he likely wins more games, which allows him to keep working in the Big Ten instead of at Coe. There is no rocket science to any of this.

Reactions: RocknRollface
1. It doesn't matter if you have an issue with it or not. Sorry, it just doesn't.

2. And by "adding talent to his roster" he likely wins more games, which allows him to keep working in the Big Ten instead of at Coe. There is no rocket science to any of this.

Agree on #1.

For #2, I'm mostly responding to those who say having Connor and/or Patrick on scholly is unfair because he can afford it and having them on helps him win more. That's the point I'm disputing. He'll do what he does, but his best "in theory" best path is to get as much talent as possible into the walk-on pool and then add more scholarship guys.

That said, I could also put forward a pretty solid argument that some of Fran's best teams have had tighter rotations. Iowa with Garza, Weezy, CJF, JBo, Connor, Nunge, Toussaint, Pemsl, Patrick plus the 5 incomers is a lot of talent.....but how does it get handled? A starting 5 of JBo, Weezy, CJF, Connor and Garza still leaves 3 solid guys on bench plus a redshirt soph and 5 incoming guys.

Connor never signed an NLI out of high school. That’s why he was dropped from the Rivals150 despite being a 4*

Agree on #1.

For #2, I'm mostly responding to those who say having Connor and/or Patrick on scholly is unfair because he can afford it and having them on helps him win more. That's the point I'm disputing. He'll do what he does, but his best "in theory" best path is to get as much talent as possible into the walk-on pool and then add more scholarship guys.

That said, I could also put forward a pretty solid argument that some of Fran's best teams have had tighter rotations. Iowa with Garza, Weezy, CJF, JBo, Connor, Nunge, Toussaint, Pemsl, Patrick plus the 5 incomers is a lot of talent.....but how does it get handled? A starting 5 of JBo, Weezy, CJF, Connor and Garza still leaves 3 solid guys on bench plus a redshirt soph and 5 incoming guys.

Which posters said it was “unfair”?

Which posters said it was “unfair”?

Post #27:

hawkifann said:
If the same kids were sons of wealthy people who don’t coach basketball, they’d not get a second thought about being on scholarship.

-----------------------
Their parents wouldn't stand to directly financially benefit from Iowa winning games like Fran does.

Fran pays out the cost of a scholarship to keep JBO on the team and makes 10 times that if Iowa has a successful season.

I can't remember the exact amounts but his bonuses are very perfomance oriented.

Post #27:

hawkifann said:
If the same kids were sons of wealthy people who don’t coach basketball, they’d not get a second thought about being on scholarship.

-----------------------

That’s a little bit of a reach but you have an agenda so keep going.

Reading this entire thread, I'm surprised that no one hasn't offered up this option for next year.....would any of you be surprised if Jordan played his final year as a walk on. I'm pretty sure that he graduates at the end of this season. Could it be possible that Jordan's father pays for his final season.... just a thought.....

That’s a little bit of a reach but you have an agenda so keep going.

I really don't. I just think it's ridiculous to expect Connor to come off scholarship. That said, the numbers line up, so it may happen.

I'm confused by the focus on thinking either Connor or Patrick give up their scholarship. In all likelihood, we're going to lose somebody who has eligibility remaining. Either Garza goes pro (hope not, I want him to make a run at the career points mark next year) or somebody transfers - I won't try to speculate. The odds that we get under the scholarship limit by pulling one from somebody is probably at 5%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT