ADVERTISEMENT

RNC warns presidential candidates not to attend Iowa evangelical forum

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Republican National Committee is warning Republican presidential candidates not to attend an Iowa forum put on by the evangelical group the Family Leader, according to RealClearPolitics.

The Family Leader announced last week that it had invited five GOP presidential hopefuls to speak at its 2023 Presidential Thanksgiving Family Forum

It described the event as a "family discussion with presidential candidates" and said the candidates would "gather around the table to have a moderated, friendly and open discussion about the issues that are most important to evangelical Americans today."

Bob Vander Plaats, Family Leader CEO (Nick Rohlman/The Gazette)
The group invited former President Donald Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Ohio biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and South Carolina U.S. Sen. Tim Scott to the forum.

According to RealClearPolitics, the campaigns received a letter from the RNC saying they would be disqualified from future debates if they participated in the forum. The RNC's debate rules prohibit candidates from participating in any unsanctioned debate with other candidates.

The letter referenced the fact that candidates would “gather around the table” at the event, saying the format would be “in other words, a debate,” according to RealClearPolitics.

The Family Leader hosted similar events in 2011 and in 2015, where multiple Republican candidates participated in roundtable discussions.

The Family Leader did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Family Leader President and CEO Bob Vander Plaats said on Fox News Tuesday night that he may consider endorsing a candidate after the forum. Vander Plaats has not publicly endorsed a candidate, but he has been critical of Trump.

"After we have that conversation with the candidates, our board, my team and myself, we'll just get a chance to discern if this is the time for us to weigh in or not," he said.

Chuck Grassley won’t endorse for caucus​

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa (Savannah Blake/The Gazette)
Iowa Republican U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds' decision to endorse Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' presidential bid does not affect his decision to remain neutral in the GOP presidential caucus contest.

In a press call with reporters Wednesday, Grassley said he wants to let Iowans freely make the decision of who they think is best situated to take on President Joe Biden.

“The reason I'm not going to endorse anybody, I want all candidates to feel welcome in Iowa,” Grassley said. “And the best way to do that is to remain neutral.

“And that doesn't mean I'm finding any fault with the governor,” Grassley added.

Grassley has long said he will remain neutral in the Republican presidential primary this year, as he has in most past primaries. He endorsed George W. Bush in 2000 and U.S. Sen. Bob Dole in 1988 and 1996.

Nikki Haley launches farmer coalition​

Nikki Haley, Republican presidential candidate (Nick Rohlman/The Gazette)
Former South Carolina Gov. and Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley launched "Farmers for Nikki" on Tuesday, a coalition of farmers backing the her bid for president.

The group "will rally grassroots support among farmers and rural Iowa communities for Haley's message of a strong and proud America," Haley's campaign said in a news release.

The coalition is being led by Ray Gaesser, former president of the American Soybean Association and Iowa Soybean Association. Other members are state Rep. Austin Harris, R-Moulton, and Mary Boote, CEO of Global Farmer Network.

“I’m tired of the turmoil, egos and name calling,” Gaesser said in a statement. “I want a president and leader who shows strength, balance, and respect. She grew up in a farming community in South Carolina, and understands and supports farmers.”

Other presidential candidates, including Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, have launched similar groups of farm supporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT