ADVERTISEMENT

Ronnie Lester

The stall game was after Magic. I believe Jay Vincent was the star of that team. I do seem to remember that in the game with Magic and Ronnie in the Fieldhouse, Lester was called for two quick fouls early in the game, which, of course pleased Lute to no end.

I happen to have several full Lester games on VHS going back to the February 1979 team against Wisconsin, plus dozens of tapes full of Iowa Basketball and Football games (and coaches shows, as well). Not sure what to do with them at this point.
I have been looking for the last 20 years plus for VHS tapes of Ronnie Lester games besides the Final Four semifinal when he already was hurt. I would pay to have them or to borrow yours and get them copied. I have so many friends who talk about how much they would love to see him again in his prime and so many younguns who say he can't be as good as we describe him to be. Not sure what etiquette is on this site but I am willing to share an email if you are interested. I live in Washington, D.C., now but get back to Iowa frequently, including this coming Christmas.

I'm in my mid 40's and sadly all I know of Ronnie is the superlatives layed on me by guys just a tad bit older than me. I'm surprised there was never anything done(some sort of video tribute) by the university about him.

You do realize he played for Iowa, right? ;) And until the last few years, Iowa was never even close to average when it came to any sort of self-promotion of the school, its teams, or its players. That sort of stuff was left to the UCLA's and Kentucky's.

But Ronnie himself was a quiet assassin. He could do whatever needed done whenever it mattered most. And one of the most telling compliments directed at Ronnie came from Magic Johnson who, on numerous occasions, has called Ronnie one of the greatest college players he ever faced.

You missed a great one in Ronnie Lester, but we only have one lifetime, so we can't see them all. But yes, an Iowa video project featuring Ronnie's greatness would still be a worthwhile project.

And until the last few years, Iowa was never even close to average when it came to any sort of self-promotion of the school, its teams, or its players.

When did this happen? We're terrible at self promotion.

I've been a Hawk fan for 50 years, couple years younger than Ronnie. I've seen almost every Iowa basketball game in the last 40 years.

Ronnie was better than any other Iowa player and whoever people think is number 2, usually Roy Marble (my choice as well) is not close. Ronnie was a Jerry West/Oscar Robertson/Michael Jordan point guard, he brought the ball up, initiated the offense and, hopefully, was the guy that pulled the trigger because he was by far the best scorer. Oh, and the best defensive player. And the team leader. And the coach on the floor. Allow your imagination to provide any superlatives I've overlooked.

I've been a Hawk fan for 50 years, couple years younger than Ronnie. I've seen almost every Iowa basketball game in the last 40 years.

Ronnie was better than any other Iowa player and whoever people think is number 2, usually Roy Marble (my choice as well) is not close. Ronnie was a Jerry West/Oscar Robertson/Michael Jordan point guard, he brought the ball up, initiated the offense and, hopefully, was the guy that pulled the trigger because he was by far the best scorer. Oh, and the best defensive player. And the team leader. And the coach on the floor. Allow your imagination to provide any superlatives I've overlooked.
Ronnie before the injury was so quick, no one could guard him 1 on 1; they all zoned. I was at the game in Dayton where he got hurt- was tackled from behind by a hotdog guard that he had embarrassed for a half when Ronnie stole the ball and was going for a layup. Dayton’s handpicked refs called Ronnie for a travel as he went into the bleachers at end of court. Iowa still won handily but Ronnie was out for most of rest of season

^^^^ This is so accurate ^^^

I've heard a lot about Ronnie Lester and how great he was but I've never really seen a whole lot of video on him. Has anyone ever made a highlight reel from his Iowa days? I've searched YouTube to no avail. Anyone aware of anything out there? I would like to learn more and see anything to see what kind of a player this guy was. All I've ever seen up to this point was photos.
No big deal. He was only one of the best five players ever to play for an in-state school.

Reactions: Tunadog
Ronnie Lester was in school at Iowa during the same time that I was. Having attended every game of his career at the old Fieldhouse, I can attest to his skillset having no peer at Iowa since then. My favorite home game of his was against the Soviet National team our junior year. Keep in mind this team was massively huge and played in the era before European players were in the NBA. They were pros in every essence of the word, older and more seasoned than the Hawks. Ronnie, pre-injury, knifed through their defense time and again, lofting floaters that flummoxed the Soviet team. Iowa won and truly pissed off the opponents More importantly, I got to know him pretty well during and after his college days, and he couldn't be more humble and kind. One of the all time great human beings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT