ADVERTISEMENT

Roster predictions for Princeton

GoHawks1996, I agree with you on both of your comments. I also hope Lee wrestles, but if, for some reason, he doesn't, I'm not second guessing anyone. The Coaches know best and we really should trust the guys that brought home a team title last year and have been undefeated for the past two seasons. How do we know that he didn't tweak something this week or does so on Monday... No one knows, but if he's not 100%, why take the chance. There will be idiots that do come on message boards and speak boldly and be hyper critical of a kid that's wrestled in two national tournaments injured for the Hawkeyes. He could have skipped last year's NCAA Tournament and given his knee a little more time to get the acuteness or the swelling down and then made a run at the Olympic Trials, but he chose to compete for us. As far as Glory, he was in his bracket at the 2019 NCAA Tournament, but he didn't earn the right to wrestle him. He can whine all he wants, but he was in the same bracket and on the same side and he lost to Piccinninni 9-5 and then Lee beat Piccinninni 11-4 the next round to make the finals. When they have wrestled the two scores combined represents Lee winning 30-8. I hope Lee goes, because I'm sure he wants to go, but again, I don't see the coaches taking any chances. I know this, the haters will be abundant if he doesn't.

If he’s not healthy why put him on the mat at all? What does he have to prove against crap completion? Is anyone impressed if he rolls up ISU’s 125 15-0 in 90 seconds? What’s the virtue? What does that do for him or Iowa?

When you compete you might get hurt. It’s completely unavoidable.

Those saying he’s healthy but shouldn’t wrestle are freaking bananas. Total oranges.
You aren’t really comparing apples to apples. Pretty fruity take on your part

GoHawks1996, I agree with you on both of your comments. I also hope Lee wrestles, but if, for some reason, he doesn't, I'm not second guessing anyone. The Coaches know best and we really should trust the guys that brought home a team title last year and have been undefeated for the past two seasons. How do we know that he didn't tweak something this week or does so on Monday... No one knows, but if he's not 100%, why take the chance. There will be idiots that do come on message boards and speak boldly and be hyper critical of a kid that's wrestled in two national tournaments injured for the Hawkeyes. He could have skipped last year's NCAA Tournament and given his knee a little more time to get the acuteness or the swelling down and then made a run at the Olympic Trials, but he chose to compete for us. As far as Glory, he was in his bracket at the 2019 NCAA Tournament, but he didn't earn the right to wrestle him. He can whine all he wants, but he was in the same bracket and on the same side and he lost to Piccinninni 9-5 and then Lee beat Piccinninni 11-4 the next round to make the finals. When they have wrestled the two scores combined represents Lee winning 30-8. I hope Lee goes, because I'm sure he wants to go, but again, I don't see the coaches taking any chances. I know this, the haters will be abundant if he doesn't.
This, now if we can possibly make some of the other shortsighted nitwits on here understand.

Reactions: Descat1
I don't think anyone with a brain is going to be critical of Spencer Lee if he doesn't wrestle. If he doesn't wrestle, there is a reason. The reason is the issue. If he doesn't wrestle, it isn't because he or the coaches don't want to risk him getting reinjured against Glory. If he doesn't wrestle, it means he isn't as healthy as he said he is in the interviews. Since he just wrestled against Ybarra in the intrasquad match, we can assume he's healthy enough to go (unless of course something happened since then). If that's the case, then there is no reason for him not to wrestle against Glory. If Lee is actually planning to go at any point this year, then he's going to want to see the best competition he can to see how good he really feels. The earlier the better. I'd be more concerned about Lee this year if he doesn't wrestle on Friday night than if he does and looks mortal.

Reactions: el dub
just give him the #3 seed, he has been on this ride before.
I’m curious as to why he’d be going in this ride twice.

Some of you are acting like third rate p*****s. Lol

Btw, isn’t this dual being held on PJ night? I’d be surprised if the guest of honor didn’t participate.

Reactions: 24 so far
I hate to break it to you but Coaches get "second guessed" every single day. If you choose not to second guess them regardless of the topic, that's your prerogative, but don't act like you're some Super Fan because your opinion differs from someone else.

Dan Gable rarely got second guessed I'm sure. Win 9 National Titles in a row you get that kind of respect.

So aside from the likes of Gable, you know what they call a Coach who doesn't get second guessed? Unemployed. It's the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you but Coaches get "second guessed" every single day. If you choose not to second guess them regardless of the topic, that's your prerogative, but don't act like you're some Super Fan because your opinion differs from someone else.
I’m guessing if he doesn’t go, it’s because he’s not as healthy as he recently claimed to be.

Seeds are meaningless to someone like Spencer. I would love to see him as much as possible but think he will wrestle minimally this year to protect his knees. I really think that him not getting surgery this off-season was largely about trying to get another team title this year when we have the horses. He has sacrificed alot for the team and we as fans should be grateful and thankful for whatever wrestling he does this year and trust him and the coaches with the plan. Zero ACL's is zero ACL's even for Spencer Lee.

Reactions: Descat1
yeah well some guys just cannot comprehend the factors that are present, and the end game! Which happens to be in March...

While still others devalue how competition is part of that end game, and have developed an odd affinity for not competing against the best. And also have an irrational belief that you can shield a world class athlete from injury.

Glory does have some right to whine. Spencer did not wrestle at Princeton in 2019, and he pulled out of Midlands, as well, avoiding Glory in the finals. So you can say what you want, from Glory’s point of view it feels as if Spencer ducked him twice.

Of course, neither of those decisions were Spencer’s. Those were our coaches’ calls.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst
I’m curious as to why he’d be going in this ride twice.

Some of you are acting like third rate p*****s. Lol

Btw, isn’t this dual being held on PJ night? I’d be surprised if the guest of honor didn’t participate.

PJ Night is Oregon State.

Glory does have some right to whine. Spencer did not wrestle at Princeton in 2019, and he pulled out of Midlands, as well, avoiding Glory in the finals. So you can say what you want, from Glory’s point of view it feels as if Spencer ducked him twice.

Of course, neither of those decisions were Spencer’s. Those were our coaches’ calls.

At 100% health, Lee techhed Glory. At 60% health, he nearly majored him. Glory's gotten on the mat with SL twice, and twice gotten his a** kicked. Lee has nothing more to prove, but I honestly hope Glory keeps talking because if he does, whenever they do face off, Spencer is going to make him pay and it'll be fun to watch.

Last edited:
I think we’ll see multiple Hawks introduced during lineups. Hopefully Princeton will agree not to start at 125. This will really get fans undies in a bunch.

Reactions: TarpHawk
yeah well some guys just cannot comprehend the factors that are present, and the end game! Which happens to be in March...
And yet over half our Starters are wrestling in the Luther Open. They definitely don't have their eye on that "end game" with that kind of poor attitude. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: cheddarwurst
Glory was interviewed following U23 and he wasn’t certain if he would be wrestling in the Iowa dual. He said it would be decided by his coaches.

Glory was interviewed following U23 and he wasn’t certain if he would be wrestling in the Iowa dual. He said it would be decided by his coaches.

And that is sort of the point - these wrestlers don't get to their level without an attitude that says they will wrestle anyone at any time. But the coaches make the decision. IMO there is a lot of ducking in D1 wrestling, and it's because coaches are making calculations about a)the fact that a dual meet team result is meaningless, and b)sometimes it's strategic to protect your guy's seed by not wrestling them.

No wrestler ducks another wrestler. But coaches sometimes do.

I think we’ll see multiple Hawks introduced during lineups. Hopefully Princeton will agree not to start at 125. This will really get fans undies in a bunch.
Agree not to start at 125?

TnT will ALWAYS start at 125 if it's their choice, no matter who is going out or what the situation is. They hate drawing for weights, etc.

If we ever start a dual at a weight other than 125 then you know it was because of the other team.

And that is sort of the point - these wrestlers don't get to their level without an attitude that says they will wrestle anyone at any time. But the coaches make the decision. IMO there is a lot of ducking in D1 wrestling, and it's because coaches are making calculations about a)the fact that a dual meet team result is meaningless, and b)sometimes it's strategic to protect your guy's seed by not wrestling them.

No wrestler ducks another wrestler. But coaches sometimes do.
My recollection is sometimes a bit "iffy", but I give credit to Tan Tom Ryan for being the first DI Coach to blatantly duck an opponent in a dual, for seeding purposes. Want to say it was a healthy Mike Pucillo he held out against Jake Herbert at Northwestern? That would have been 2009 ish.

Reactions: Gobblin
Agree not to start at 125?

TnT will ALWAYS start at 125 if it's their choice, no matter who is going out or what the situation is. They hate drawing for weights, etc.

If we ever start a dual at a weight other than 125 then you know it was because of the other team.
I would agree. Doesn't hurt that Iowa has had dynamite 125 lbers for a long time (or 118 lbers), but still. Even the few times we're not favored I think Brands would prefer to start at 125.

I do like the fact that if you don't start at 125 it takes the pressure off the HWT. to always have to come thru in a tight dual.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I would agree. Doesn't hurt that Iowa has had dynamite 125 lbers for a long time (or 118 lbers), but still. Even the few times we're not favored I think Brands would prefer to start at 125.

I do like the fact that if you don't start at 125 it takes the pressure off the HWT. to always have to come thru in a tight dual.
I don't mind starting at different weights, mixes it up a little bit and what have you, but the coaches prefer to start at 125, regardless of who we have there. I believe this is due to cutting/planning purposes, so all the wrestlers can have their meals and rest time etc. down to a science.

Really? I did know know O State was coming to IC this season.

This site shows the special events on the schedule:

Reactions: el dub
While still others devalue how competition is part of that end game, and have developed an odd affinity for not competing against the best. And also have an irrational belief that you can shield a world class athlete from injury.
Guess I struck a nerve! You guys are pathetic, if you cannot understand that guys like Spencer and Kem at this point in the careers only need what they need to get to the NCAAs healthy. I’m not talking about the entire team, just the vets that are at the next level but have had injuries That May Be still Lingering! These guys are essentially already at the senior level and senior level guys have very limited schedules for a reasons.
I done with this stupidity if you guys don’t get it then you never will or have, maybe you just don’t understand competition at a high level.
I will repeat what I have already said I want SL and the rest of the Hawks to wrestle 50x a year selfishly and some guys (DeSanto,Eierman) could most likely still do it, but I and many others here understand that the starting wrestlers may not go every match at this point and that’s ok if it gets them to March Healthy.

Guess I struck a nerve! You guys are pathetic, if you cannot understand that guys like Spencer and Kem at this point in the careers only need what they need to get to the NCAAs healthy. I’m not talking about the entire team, just the vets that are at the next level but have had injuries That May Be still Lingering! These guys are essentially already at the senior level and senior level guys have very limited schedules for a reasons.
I done with this stupidity if you guys don’t get it then you never will or have, maybe you just don’t understand competition at a high level.
I will repeat what I have already said I want SL and the rest of the Hawks to wrestle 50x a year selfishly and some guys (DeSanto,Eierman) could most likely still do it, but I and many others here understand that the starting wrestlers may not go every match at this point and that’s ok if it gets them to March Healthy.
Really? Why 50 times a year? That’s a stoopid notion And nobody is asking for that.

Excuses are for wussies.

Reactions: pumpdog20
You're the same guy that thought Nelson Brands was going to set the NCAA on fire and repeated it often, even when there was overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

It sounds as if you are indicting many college wrestling coaches, including our own.

Reactions: el dub and Grip220
You're the same guy that thought Nelson Brands was going to set the NCAA on fire and repeated it often, even when there was overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I don't think anything else needs to be said.
He’s still young and your a fool, I was backing a Hawk that has tremendous potential. I will do it every time even if I’m wrong sometimes. Has he not showed you some of that potential, ahh you probably missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT