ADVERTISEMENT

Roster predictions for Princeton

This is why coaches, who see their athletes on a daily basis and know what's best for their long term potential, decide who competes and not the meathead fans who can't see past the upcoming weekend.

Same guys whining in this thread would be the same guys whining if the team looks run down in March. I have a feeling the coaches probably now more about what's best for the team than famously right person chips28 (who spent the two weeks leading up to ncaas calling anybody questioning spencer's health a lunatic).

Agree. I'll trust Brands. SL has already rolled this guy twice and won a natty with no ACLs. He doesn't have anything more to prove on this. I'll take a full, healthy roster in March.

This is why coaches, who see their athletes on a daily basis and know what's best for their long term potential, decide who competes and not the meathead fans who can't see past the upcoming weekend.

Same guys whining in this thread would be the same guys whining if the team looks run down in March. I have a feeling the coaches probably now more about what's best for the team than famously right person chips28 (who spent the two weeks leading up to ncaas calling anybody questioning spencer's health a lunatic).

This. I am disappointed as a fan, for sure, that we won't see a Lee/Glory matchup, as I was really looking forward to it. However, I trust TnT that they are doing what is best for Spencer and what is best for the team. Ultimately what matters is #4 for Spencer and #25 for the team, even if I selfishly wish I could watch all these guys compete 100 times each this season

Wow! It took me a bit, but I finally figured it out: Everyone on this page really isn't a fan of Iowa wrestling. Hell, reading some of this, I question if some folks are even fans of wrestling at all. Ok, carry on. Just had to get that out of my system.
Ouch coach, that seems a little harsh, but it’s not entirely an unfounded paragraph. There has been some ridiculously dumb stuff posted in this here thread.

I won’t presume to speak for everyone but I think some of the confusion stems from Spencer wresting in our inter squad matches a few short weeks ago. When that happened I think many people made assumptions about his health or the game plan moving forward. Of course we know what assumptions often lead too.

I for one, won’t care if Spencer doesn’t step on the mat until big tens. I just want him to qualify for nationals and get his hand raised on that Saturday night in March while he celebrates his 4th and the teams 25th. Of course if that does happen and we only get to see the greatest 125lber two weekends this year I would be a little bummed. Greatness like his only comes around every once in awhile and I want to selfishly soak up as much as I can. But, my selfish wants do not supersede his health and quest for 4.

Go Hawks, and we’ll see ya when we see ya Spencer the goat Lee!

Ouch coach, that seems a little harsh, but it’s not entirely an unfounded paragraph. There has been some ridiculously dumb stuff posted in this here thread.

I won’t presume to speak for everyone but I think some of the confusion stems from Spencer wresting in our inter squad matches a few short weeks ago. When that happened I think many people made assumptions about his health or the game plan moving forward. Of course we know what assumptions often lead too.

I for one, won’t care if Spencer doesn’t step on the mat until big tens. I just want him to qualify for nationals and get his hand raised on that Saturday night in March while he celebrates his 4th and the teams 25th. Of course if that does happen and we only get to see the greatest 125lber two weekends this year I would be a little bummed. Greatness like his only comes around every once in awhile and I want to selfishly soak up as much as I can. But, my selfish wants do not supersede his health and quest for 4.

Go Hawks, and we’ll see ya when we see ya Spencer the goat Lee!
Totally agree. Ray Charles can see some of the trolls that come through here to sow seeds of discord. Those where the ones I was singling out. There will never be anything wrong with spirited debate. That’s what makes US who we are. But for those who like to argue, just for the sake of the same? They really need to find a better hobby. 😉

Wow! It took me a bit, but I finally figured it out: Everyone on this page really isn't a fan of Iowa wrestling. Hell, reading some of this, I question if some folks are even fans of wrestling at all. Ok, carry on. Just had to get that out of my system.
Lol, absolutely! When you have one of the most active wrestling forums in the country it happens for sure! I've seen posters try to hide their Iowa dislike, but it always comes out eventually....that's why it's the cesspool...

30-8 was the point totals of the two matches. 30-8 in case you have issues with reading comprehension. Same bracket and same side at nationals. He lost to OKST 9-4 or something along that score and Lee beat Okie State 11-4... same bracket and same side, Glory just wasn't good enough to get to him. Enough said
Are you disputing what I wrote? Lee was up 12-0 with 2:27 RT at the end of the first period. The match ended 12-6 with Glory having turned Lee twice in the second period, Glory choosing top in the third and riding Lee out for 1:34 RT and getting a stalling point. That's a pretty good showing, isn't it?

Are you disputing what I wrote? Lee was up 12-0 with 2:27 RT at the end of the first period. The match ended 12-6 with Glory having turned Lee twice in the second period, Glory choosing top in the third and riding Lee out for 1:34 RT and getting a stalling point. That's a pretty good showing, isn't it?
A 60% (if that) Lee beat Glory 12-6. Call it a pretty good showing if you want but I call it a routing all things considered.

It is a good showing actually, in fact it may be the closest Glory keeps the score. Maybe not, but I am fairly certain Spencer wins. Just some context on why some have noted Glory wrestles dirty, it stems from his semi-final? at the 2019 Midlands vs Brock Hudkins, specifically overtime....How's Cornell looking this year? Is Vito or Greg D going 125?

Reactions: Descat1 and el dub
Totally agree. Ray Charles can see some of the trolls that come through here to sow seeds of discord. Those where the ones I was singling out. There will never be anything wrong with spirited debate. That’s what makes US who we are. But for those who like to argue, just for the sake of the same? They really need to find a better hobby. 😉
Well said sir and I totally agree!

Reactions: Descat1
Am I the only one curious as to why there seems to be a question about who is going at 133? And why?

Reactions: pml_dad
Am I the only one curious as to why there seems to be a question about who is going at 133? And why?
i am. wouldn't be surprised if it was an informal disciplinary thing given the minor outburst at Luther. can't imagine brands was happy about that on opening weekend (not to say it was a catastrophic meltdown like the psu troll).

pulling schriever's redshirt for one dual doesn't make that much sense to me, but it could be like Ybarra where the incoming guys might make making the lineup difficult for cullan down the road so why not give him a shot now.

If you consider Spencer was dealing with the same health issues he had that affected his tank that season, it's kind of hard to put much stock into it.

Last edited:
The most popular wrestling message board brings all types from a lot of fan bases.

Breaking news. If you win you're not "run down" in March. If you lose you are. (that seems to be the "go to" excuse for many)

Except for Spencer Lee, he thinks excuses are for Wusses.

Breaking news. If you win you're not "run down" in March. If you lose you are. (that seems to be the "go to" excuse for many)

Except for Spencer Lee, he thinks excuses are for Wusses.
illuminating. thank you for your contribution yoda

Agree. I'll trust Brands. SL has already rolled this guy twice and won a natty with no ACLs. He doesn't have anything more to prove on this. I'll take a full, healthy roster in March.
Spot on. Sure we are all disappointed that he's not wrestling but I want him as healthy as can be come NC time.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Three years ago he was a notch below Spencer. We don’t know where they stand now, and we don’t know what % Spencer is at right now. So, yes, there is much we don’t know right now that still needs to be answered.

Three years ago he was more than a notch below SL. He got his a** whipped 18-2 and then barely avoided getting majored when it was clear SL was having health issues but was still competing.

Moral victory I guess. I wonder if in the history books it will ever show the narrative you just offered or will it just show the final score and the fact that in two matches the total match score was 30-8. Yes, no text needed to explain or detailed summary of the few points scored after getting down by a bunch more. It's like being down 36-0 in a football game and then scoring 17 points... I guess you won the 4th quarter....:-(. Just list the final results., 30-8. That's what will be displayed for all time. I do want to point out one factoid that is well supported, but the points you have endeavored to score are well supported by your screen name: nothingmeaningful:).

I just don't understand how people still can't see the ridiculous level Lee is at in comparison to others. I don't see any Iowa fans claiming that Cassioppi can hang with Steveson even though in many years Cassioppi would be a clear title favorite. Glory might be good enough to win a title in years past (still not sure of that) but Lee, like Steveson, are beyond "generational talent." That's why people, including myself, are disappointed that Lee isn't going Friday. We likely won't see anything like Lee again, so we want to see him in person as much as possible. Doesn't mean we don't understand why he isn't going. Being mislead up until the release of the lineup doesn't help matters either.

Once you have a torn ACL it doesn't heal itself. You always have instability and a greater risk of tweaking it... You always have a bad knee, which is why wrestling with two is almost crazy and I think we should be a little understanding if they do put him on a pitch count.
After pain and swelling go away people can do normal things without ACL repair. Spencer won Sr Nationals just fine with one.
if you want to pitch count guys do it for road duals and tournaments not the home meets where your fans pay for tickets, travel, etc

Reactions: cheddarwurst
i am. wouldn't be surprised if it was an informal disciplinary thing given the minor outburst at Luther. can't imagine brands was happy about that on opening weekend (not to say it was a catastrophic meltdown like the psu troll).

pulling schriever's redshirt for one dual doesn't make that much sense to me, but it could be like Ybarra where the incoming guys might make making the lineup difficult for cullan down the road so why not give him a shot now.
A possible future bump up from Ayala would be the only guy on the team or recently recruited that could possibly challenge him for the spot and Schriever has had pretty good success vs him previously.

A possible future bump up from Ayala would be the only guy on the team or recently recruited that could possibly challenge him for the spot and Schriever has had pretty good success vs him previously.
i think most anticipate ayala moving up when jesuroga comes in. and schriever beat him early in high school, but ayala ended his career as a much better recruit.

Yes, and the fans want to see it
None of this is about fans. It’s about doing everything you can to make sure you win the B1G and the national title. Not taking dumb and unnecessary risks is part of that.

I guarantee you all of those coaches and wrestlers want team trophies above anything else including individual wins, and especially above some meaningless non conference dual.

If you want entertainment where the participants are there to be your dog and pony show, go watch WWE. If you paid a bunch of money to watch John Cena put on a performance and he didn’t show up you’d have a legitimate bitch. Iowa wrestling ain’t that. It’s about team hardware above all else and it always should be.

Brands and Lee ain’t there to make sure you’re entertained, cuz. Ask ‘em.

After pain and swelling go away people can do normal things without ACL repair. Spencer won Sr Nationals just fine with one.
if you want to pitch count guys do it for road duals and tournaments not the home meets where your fans pay for tickets, travel, etc
You really need to stop talking, because you clearly don't understand and you refuse to educate yourself.
The pain and inflammation may go away, but it's temporary. The slightest tweak and it will flare back up.

If someone chooses not to have surgery, they're likely looking at nonstop physical therapy/ strength training for the rest of their life just to sustain some semblance of stability.

And wrestling is as far from normal as you can get.

So comparing normal to Spencer Lee and other elite athletes is asinine.

None of this is about fans. It’s about doing everything you can to make sure you win the B1G and the national title. Not taking dumb and unnecessary risks is part of that.

I guarantee you all of those coaches and wrestlers want team trophies above anything else including individual wins, and especially above some meaningless non conference dual.

If you want entertainment where the participants are there to be your dog and pony show, go watch WWE. If you paid a bunch of money to watch John Cena put on a performance and he didn’t show up you’d have a legitimate bitch. Iowa wrestling ain’t that. It’s about team hardware above all else and it always should be.

I agree with your overall premise but Brands literally talks about "being entertained" quite often.

Why have fans? Why sell tickets? Weird they promoted selling out season tickets

Reactions: cheddarwurst
You really need to stop talking, because you clearly don't understand and you refuse to educate yourself.
The pain and inflammation may go away, but it's temporary. The slightest tweak and it will flare back up.

If someone chooses not to have surgery, they're likely looking at nonstop physical therapy/ strength training for the rest of their life just to sustain some semblance of stability.

And wrestling is as far from normal as you can get.

So comparing normal to Spencer Lee and other elite athletes is asinine.
Thank god you are on the message boards educating the less fortunate and not setting rehab plans for athletes

Serious question so we can move on, how do you two fellas see the season going. If you guys can write a legit answer then I will respond. At the end of the season we can see who was correct or most accurate.
So do you think goes at 184, Assad or Brands?

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT