ADVERTISEMENT

Roster predictions for Princeton

We did, and just as I said may happen, Ybarra went. The coaches obviously would prefer Ybarra redshirt, but he doesn't want to, therefore he isn't. Which makes it ultimately up to the wrestler on whether they redshirt or not (regardless of whether it's technically still the coaches decision whether to send them out there).
It was the coaches decision to take the redshirt off of Ybarra. Tom said he's the best option to fill in at 125 while Spencer is out. He said "down the stretch" at first, but then changed it to "in the meantime." He also pointed out that they've (Ybarra, Schriever, Reyna, Kennedy) been here for over a year and nobody would be claiming they are being "thrown out there" if COVID hadn't happened.

Reactions: el dub and Hawk170
We did, and just as I said may happen, Ybarra went. The coaches obviously would prefer Ybarra redshirt, but he doesn't want to, therefore he isn't. Which makes it ultimately up to the wrestler on whether they redshirt or not (regardless of whether it's technically still the coaches decision whether to send them out there).
Unless I'm missing something there is no technically about it. If the Coaches wanted Ybarra's redshirt intact, it would be. How long he chooses to stay is up to him.

And I don't think Brands is overly concerned about it in this instance when you have Ayala as a backup plan, and Jesuroga down the road. Throw in the fact they will limit Spencer, and Ybarra is likely the better option over Cashman right now, although Iowa won't likely be tested in the duals where Spencer doesn't go to the point a loss is no big deal no matter who it is.

I do think Ybarra is the better option, and they could have waited to pull his redshirt if necessary later this year. As it stands it's a non issue in Iowa's long term future lineups, IMO. They still have flexibility any way you look at it, and Ybarra may see the day when he wants to use that redshirt. Time will tell.

Sheesh. Simmer down. People can be disappointed we're not seeing Lee vs. Glory without being branded heathens.
Agreed, but come on with the I’m not renewing my season tickets. I’m just fed up with the negative BS towards the coaches and the wrestlers, especially SL. The guy owes us nothing and has given everything. And who said Heathens that’s harsh. ;)

Last edited:
Not sure what they would be protecting him from. It’s not like he can tear an acl that’s already torn lol. The only thing they could be protecting is his seed. I think he wrestles. Hope he wrestles and more than anything hope he gets his 4th title.

Reactions: Chips28
Not sure what they would be protecting him from. It’s not like he can tear an acl that’s already torn lol. The only thing they could be protecting is his seed. I think he wrestles. Hope he wrestles and more than anything hope he gets his 4th title.
Tell me you know nothing about human anatomy without telling me you know nothing about human anatomy.

Without that ACL you will be much more susceptible to an ankle sprain, groin strain, labrum tear, the list goes on - with out ACL's on either knee this risk only amplifies further.

You see, the body makes compensations when something isn't operating correctly. These compensation do not come without further wear and tear. Thus limiting his exposure is important. I believe other have mentioned how Glory can be hard on peoples knees - grabbing ankles and such

Reactions: Grip220
Unless I'm missing something there is no technically about it. If the Coaches wanted Ybarra's redshirt intact, it would be. How long he chooses to stay is up to him.

And I don't think Brands is overly concerned about it in this instance when you have Ayala as a backup plan, and Jesuroga down the road. Throw in the fact they will limit Spencer, and Ybarra is likely the better option over Cashman right now, although Iowa won't likely be tested in the duals where Spencer doesn't go to the point a loss is no big deal no matter who it is.

I do think Ybarra is the better option, and they could have waited to pull his redshirt if necessary later this year. As it stands it's a non issue in Iowa's long term future lineups, IMO. They still have flexibility any way you look at it, and Ybarra may see the day when he wants to use that redshirt. Time will tell.
If you believe the coaches pulled a redshirt simply to back up Spencer in duals, not because the wrestler wanted it that way then frankly I don't know what to tell ya.

Not sure what they would be protecting him from. It’s not like he can tear an acl that’s already torn lol. The only thing they could be protecting is his seed. I think he wrestles. Hope he wreclue. stles and more than anything hope he gets his 4th title.
Protecting his seed insinuates they suspect his losing... I respect Glory, but not that much. After coming off a focus on freestyle for the past year, I believe Spencer would catch a wrist and turn him and get another tech, (his two match scores total a 30-8 final finals points scored), but it's not about a win or a potential loss, it's about putting him out there when he's ready to go. It's been 8 months since the injury, which is getting close for an ACL injury, but if they need another week then so be it. in In actuality, although the doctors will say at 8-9 months it's good to go, I know it takes a full 12 months to feel normal on the mat, so why risk it. The same people whining now would be loudest if they put him out there and he went down in the first period with a season ending injury. I do trust our coaches to do the right thing.

... . It's been 8 months since the injury, which is getting close for an ACL injury, but if they need another week then so be it. in In actuality, although the doctors will say at 8-9 months it's good to go, I know it takes a full 12 months to feel normal on the mat, so why risk it.

8+ months is recovery from ACL surgery not an unrepaired ACL injury.

His supporting muscle structure is such that he decided surgery is not necessary. If you listen to the Dr's videos on this subject, he was close but not there yet for Olympic trials. If he had another 2 months I think we may have seen him have the chance at a medal.

If he is being held out now due to concerns about the knee(s), then that is indeed concerning. For all we know it could be anything from Covid to a skin issue, to nothing at all. Let's all hope it is not knee related.

Reactions: el dub

Ybarra not redshirting makes the most sense for the above reasons. Schriever and Reyna though make less sense because they figure to be important parts of the future lineup and it wastes an eligibility year when they likely wouldn't be the post season starter. I get all the other arguments.

If you believe the coaches pulled a redshirt simply to back up Spencer in duals, not because the wrestler wanted it that way then frankly I don't know what to tell ya.
So Ybarra is running The Program now? That's good to know. I look forward to seeing how often he has our guys take neutral in the 3rd down 1 when it's their choice. LOL!

Once again, up to the athlete, not the coaches. If the coaches had their preference everybody would be redshirting.
You still don’t get it? Then I don’t think you’ve ever wrestled before. Lol Coaches run programs and decide who takes the mat.

Last edited:
They can wrestle some duals and still redshirt.
Grip, if an athlete competes in a redshirt year, he must compete unattached. He can’t compete for the University, I can’t think of an example where a kid could compete in a dual meet in an unattached capacity. Just open tournaments.

You still don’t get it? Then I don’t think you’ve ever wrestled before. Lol Coaches run programs and decide who takes the mat.
Lol I'm telling you what I know for a fact, you guys are telling me what you think. Not concerned with your thoughts or opinions on my past athletic history.

Are you really this dense?

As someone else pointed out, your body has the ability to compensate.
While you're correct that a torn ACL cannot tear again, but that doesn't mean you can't risk another significant injury elsewhere. The human body is incredible in that it can compensate for an injury so it can still semi-function, but that usually comes at the cost of something else somewhere else.

Have you ever driven on a tire with low pressure for too long or not had them probably aligned or you refuse to rotate them, what happens? You'll eventually be stuck on the side of the road, f*cked and far from home.

Now replace tires with knees.

Reactions: Grip220
Funny a burned out drug addict lecturing someone on "getting it." What is surprising is how sloehawk and Spooner are more like el druggie crablegs and js in this thread.

Funny a burned out drug addict lecturing someone on "getting it." What is surprising is how sloehawk and Spooner are more like el druggie crablegs and js in this thread.
Oh, go drink another beer, mon. Obviously, cognitive dissonance is getting the best of you.

Reactions: js8793
Why do they put a red jersey on the QB. If he's healthy enough to get hit on Saturday or Sunday why can't he get hit Monday -Friday. If a pitcher is healthy enough to pitch 6 innings why can't he pitch 7 or 8 or 9? If that pitcher is healthy enough to pitch Game 1 of the World Series why can't he pitch Game 2 and 3? Why would a pitcher coming back from surgery only be allowed to throw 2 innings or 30 pitches? If he can throw batting practice to his teammates he should be ready for the World Series aint I right SPooner. We can do this for every sport some of you will understand the morans won't.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
PG has gotten his a** whipped both times he got on the mat with SL, one of which Spencer was at about 60% health. Lol. But if Spencer doesn't go I seriously hope Glory starts chirping about it just so I can watch Spencer make him pay if/when they do meet again.

Reactions: Sett1997 and el dub
PG has gotten his a** whipped both times he got on the mat with SL, one of which Spencer was at about 60% health. Lol. But if Spencer doesn't go I seriously hope Glory starts chirping about it just so I can watch Spencer make him pay if/when they do meet again.
He might have been dirty enough in previous matches that they decided he didn’t deserve a shot at SL…

Reactions: praguehawk
Yeah, riding Spencer for over four minutes and turning him twice (and also locking up a cradle) sure is dirty.
30-8 was the point totals of the two matches. 30-8 in case you have issues with reading comprehension. Same bracket and same side at nationals. He lost to OKST 9-4 or something along that score and Lee beat Okie State 11-4... same bracket and same side, Glory just wasn't good enough to get to him. Enough said

They can wrestle some duals and still redshirt.
No, they cannot. All the additional bylaws referenced are specific to the sports with exceptions. Wrestling has NOT established any exceptions to 12.8.3. Football has. You can play in up to 4 games and maintain a redshirt.

12.8.3 Criteria for Determining Season of Competition. 12.8.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws 12.8.3.1.1, 12.8.3.1.2, 12.8.3.1.3, 12.8.3.1.4, 12.8.3.1.5 and 12.8.3.1.6. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Revised: 1/11/94, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 5/9/06, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, 7/31/14, 8/8/18 effective 8/1/18)

No, they cannot. All the additional bylaws referenced are specific to the sports with exceptions. Wrestling has NOT established any exceptions to 12.8.3. Football has. You can play in up to 4 games and maintain a redshirt.

12.8.3 Criteria for Determining Season of Competition. 12.8.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws 12.8.3.1.1, 12.8.3.1.2, 12.8.3.1.3, 12.8.3.1.4, 12.8.3.1.5 and 12.8.3.1.6. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Revised: 1/11/94, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 5/9/06, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, 7/31/14, 8/8/18 effective 8/1/18)
Would love for that rule to be changed like football as well. It especially makes sense in a sport like wrestling where the last two tournaments are all that REALLY matters.

Am I crazy to think the rule should be you can wrestle regular season as much as you want, but if you wrestle in your conference or national tournament it counts as a year? Haven't put much thought into potential negative repercussions but that'd be interesting.

A whole lotta overthinking going on in this thread.

The goal Tom and Terry have every year is to win a B1G and national title.

Lee not wrestling against Princeton does not affect either, so why would you wrestle your #1 vs #2 and risk getting him hurt, especially when he's compromised as it is? It's literally as simple as that.

I'm guessing the people bitching either don't follow or understand collegiate wrestling very well, or they can't afford tickets to any other meet but Princeton. If that's the case and you really can't, talk to me and we'll work something out. Honestly.

And before anyone says anything about season ticket holder's being entitled to seeing certain wrestlers, I have 4 season tickets, live 6 hours away, and will be at every home meet. And I still think it's the right move.

Season tickets or not, I want every wrestler as healthy as possible come B1G duals. Not wrestling Lee makes perfect sense in consideration of the entire team. You don't win titles by listening to advice from fans who know nothing about managing a top-level college program.

This is why coaches, who see their athletes on a daily basis and know what's best for their long term potential, decide who competes and not the meathead fans who can't see past the upcoming weekend.

Same guys whining in this thread would be the same guys whining if the team looks run down in March. I have a feeling the coaches probably now more about what's best for the team than famously right person chips28 (who spent the two weeks leading up to ncaas calling anybody questioning spencer's health a lunatic).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT