ADVERTISEMENT

Row the Boat

Hawks will beat the Gophs by 14+. Minny Defense will get rag dolled at Kinnick.

Fleck got real lucky with his misuse of TOs in the 3rd quarter. Who uses a time out and then decides to punt?

Boat rowers look like crap.
A lot can change over the course of the year.

IIRC, It has to do with where the Gs and Ts helmet is relative to the Cs hips. As long as the helmet is not behind the butt, it's legal.

Thanks. Sounds like random parameters but I have to assume it makes sense.

SDSU is pretty good. I'm surprised I haven't read more takes like this, given the lesson Iowa learned about over-estimating good FCS programs a few years back.

SDSU is always a solid to good FCS program, so they definitely deserve credit. That said, the Iowa team that lost to NDSU was incredibly mediocre. I don't expect Minnesota to suck but if they play like they did last night they will be a 6-6,7-5 team and not a darkhorse to win the West is all.

A lot can change over the course of the year.
Agreed. But the Gophs looked pretty bad last night against a team starting a Fr QB.

Fresno State will not be an easy game for them next week. They struggle or lose, the Fleckster will need to have some excuses ready. The most surprising thing to me was the extremely poor game/clock mgmt in the third quarter. Using 2 timeouts in the 3rd in a close game could have been disastrous. The most puzzling was using one and then deciding to punt.

Not sure he's up to the B1G standards of a successful coach. I think he's overmatched.

SDSU is pretty good. I'm surprised I haven't read more takes like this, given the lesson Iowa learned about over-estimating good FCS programs a few years back.
SDSU is good, but they lost a lot from last year's team as well.

My biggest take is that Minny was supposed to be a dark horse contender, but looked average or even poor in many areas key to a CCG run.

Their defense was very soft in the middle against the run. Their passing game was limited to 1 WR, and their QB was not very astute. Their supposedly solid OL got pushed around by a much smaller, weaker one.

Things can definitely change, but Minny didn't look like a bowl team, let alone a dark horse.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Thanks. Sounds like random parameters but I have to assume it makes sense.

SDSU is always a solid to good FCS program, so they definitely deserve credit. That said, the Iowa team that lost to NDSU was incredibly mediocre. I don't expect Minnesota to suck but if they play like they did last night they will be a 6-6,7-5 team and not a darkhorse to win the West is all.

I think that is how the referee on the sideline who stands on the LOS is able to know if the OL is lined up in the backfield. I played DL in college, and I can't quite remember the rule, but I think it's something like that. But you're right, it does seem a bit arbitrary.

SDSU is #3 in the FCS. They're pretty good. But you're right and I agree with you, I expected Minnesota to be stronger up front especially. First games are going to have turnovers and some stupid plays, but I fully expected a team like Minnesota to control both LOSs vs any FCS opponent, but they didn't.

SDSU is good, but they lost a lot from last year's team as well.

My biggest take is that Minny was supposed to be a dark horse contender, but looked average or even poor in many areas key to a CCG run.

Their defense was very soft in the middle against the run. Their passing game was limited to 1 WR, and their QB was not very astute. Their supposedly solid OL got pushed around by a much smaller, weaker one.

Things can definitely change, but Minny didn't look like a bowl team, let alone a dark horse.
I agree - they can keep their offensive playbook under wraps, but they gave up quite a bit on the run in the second half. Wasn't impressed. I'm also not surprised any longer by how teams from the Dakotas play. There are a lot of good FCS players from the 6 state area (SD, ND, MN, WI, IA, NE) that those school are able to fill up with. And those programs, especially SDSU and NDSU, are very well coached and play disciplined football.

Agreed. But the Gophs looked pretty bad last night against a team starting a Fr QB.

Fresno State will not be an easy game for them next week. They struggle or lose, the Fleckster will need to have some excuses ready. The most surprising thing to me was the extremely poor game/clock mgmt in the third quarter. Using 2 timeouts in the 3rd in a close game could have been disastrous. The most puzzling was using one and then deciding to punt.

Not sure he's up to the B1G standards of a successful coach. I think he's overmatched.
They very well could get beat by Fresno next week. They'll have to play significantly better if they want to win that game.

Reactions: MitchLL

He'll revert back to its only still year 1. Give him a chance to build a boat that can be rowed.

Reactions: MitchLL

Everyone is discounting that PJ did not want to ‘show too much’ opening night against SDSU as his team only brought tons of flags, oars and wrenches onto the field to start the game. I expect they will be bringing additional items like DVD players, life preservers, road signs and garden watering cans soon that are going to surprise a lot of opponents.

He'll revert back to its only still year 1. Give him a chance to build a boat that can be rowed.
Actually, the first year was year ZERO. He doing a balancing act this season. He's hyping to build some excitement, but still trying to temper expectations in the event of some early season losses.

He really would make an excellent used car salesman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT