ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers & Mich State the latest to make news: Players Quarantined & Players/staff Testing Positive

Just spoke with a doctor friend yesterday. He said a Dubuque Nurse Practitioner set up a testing office. The NP was testing hundreds a week. There is apparently no regulation on the tests and some some brands (?) of tests are giving 40-50 false positives.

Just spoke with a doctor friend yesterday. He said a Dubuque Nurse Practitioner set up a testing office. The NP was testing hundreds a week. There is apparently no regulation on the tests and some some brands (?) of tests are giving 40-50 false positives.

Here in NJ you can drive thru at Rite Aid or CVS to self administer the test. Lots of negative tests coming out of these sites. If you self administer you have to shove the swab up your own nose until it makes your eye tear. Not bloody likely a lot of people are doing this correctly so a lot of false negatives.

Here in NJ you can drive thru at Rite Aid or CVS to self administer the test. Lots of negative tests coming out of these sites. If you self administer you have to shove the swab up your own nose until it makes your eye tear. Not bloody likely a lot of people are doing this correctly so a lot of false negatives.

Then there are those who signed up to get tested, didn't actually get tested...then got phone calls telling them they had tested positive.

Yeah, we got this under control :confused:

Then there are those who signed up to get tested, didn't actually get tested...then got phone calls telling them they had tested positive.

I have heard about these cases as well. What a f’n mess

Yep. And the King.. I mean Governor of NJ is reporting deaths from weeks ago as current numbers and is counting people waiting for test results a probable positive even though only 20% of tests come back positive
As a nurse I will say it's almost all a joke at this point. I know many people were deathly sick and many died in March but Thays just not the case now.

I saw as I was heading to a social distanced happy hour with neighbors in the park. I drank a whole bottle of wine to console myself.
So, what's the plan for Rutgers for this fall?

* Will students be allowed on campus or is that still up in the air?
* Who makes the decision if Rutgers football moves forward if the B1G is moving forward? The governor? The Rutgers President?

So, what's the plan for Rutgers for this fall?

* Will students be allowed on campus or is that still up in the air?
* Who makes the decision if Rutgers football moves forward if the B1G is moving forward? The governor? The Rutgers President?

Rutgers announced that they would have limited on campus housing. Most classes will be held online. Gotta allow student on campus to have football.

Rutgers has also said that they would be evaluating student athletics based off of guidance from state officials. I'd guess they are going to try real hard to play fall sports due to the revenue, unless the B10 says it is a revenue share from the TV contract and the teams do not need to play to receive it. I'd guess that is going to be the deal. Can't imagine a B10 school getting cut out if they decide it is not safe in their area.

Rutgers announced that they would have limited on campus housing. Most classes will be held online. Gotta allow student on campus to have football.

Rutgers has also said that they would be evaluating student athletics based off of guidance from state officials. I'd guess they are going to try real hard to play fall sports due to the revenue, unless the B10 says it is a revenue share from the TV contract and the teams do not need to play to receive it. I'd guess that is going to be the deal. Can't imagine a B10 school getting cut out if they decide it is not safe in their area.
yeah, if teams can't play for whatever reason (and for however long), they still will get their TV revenue share...if there is any TV revenue to share :(

Yep. And the King.. I mean Governor of NJ is reporting deaths from weeks ago as current numbers and is counting people waiting for test results a probable positive even though only 20% of tests come back positive
As a nurse I will say it's almost all a joke at this point. I know many people were deathly sick and many died in March but Thays just not the case now.

As long as people are waiting more than 24 hours for results and positive test results are way over 5% you probably should be more concerned about what those stats are than how death numbers are reported. Adequate mechanics on how to prevent deaths matter and are not a joke.

Michigan State says 16 athletes, four staffers tested positive for coronavirus

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Senior Writer
July 27, 2020, 4:34 PM CT

Michigan State says 16 athletes and four staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 in the school's latest round of testing.

The latest totals include two staff members and one athlete whose positive tests Michigan State announced last week. Michigan State on Friday announced the entire football program had entered a 14-day quarantine, which began Wednesday, because of the recent positive tests.

The school tested 122 athletes last week, as well as several staff members at both on- and off-campus locations. Michigan State football players will undergo surveillance testing before being allowed to resume workouts, and the team will not return to activities until Aug. 4 at the earliest.

Athletic department policy requires any athlete who has been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 to quarantine. Athletes who test positive must receive two negative COVID-19 tests to be cleared for a return to workouts.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...tes-four-staffers-tested-positive-coronavirus

this is the first i have heard of this; yeah, i doubt people shove the swab back as far as you are supposed to go; just when you think you have heard everything....

and if test turn around times are taking 5 days or more for the general public, how does college football expect to be able to "cut in line" and get results back within hours?

39 days from today was supposed to be Iowa's season opener; who knows if the season even starts

this is the first i have heard of this; yeah, i doubt people shove the swab back as far as you are supposed to go; just when you think you have heard everything....

and if test turn around times are taking 5 days or more for the general public, how does college football expect to be able to "cut in line" and get results back within hours?

39 days from today was supposed to be Iowa's season opener; who knows if the season even starts

there are actually multiple tests out there: blood, nasal swab, saliva...and each of them take different amounts of time. The hospitals can get them done in an hour...and they do for traumas that roll in the door and don't have the luxury of waiting 5 days to test for Covid. In NJ every elective surgery patient has to have a covid test no more than 96 hours before surgery..then they are supposed to self quarantine at home.

Rutgers has a huge advantage with testing....perhaps you heard of the saliva test for Covid that was developed at......Rutgers? (I don't know for certain that this is the test our team is getting but it's certainly an option)

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/new-rutgers-saliva-test-coronavirus-gets-fda-approval

wow...that is crazy! Please share the link to this.

Sorry, what I heard was a radio interview on local Orlando radio. Two people were being interviewed and talked about it. One guy said it was the worst hour or two of his life, because he wondered if there was some way they got some other sample for lab tests nine months ago. His wife finished chemo a little over a year before, and he was afraid she would unknowingly get it. He signed up for test because office down the hall from his had an employee test positive.

The other was a woman who worked in a bank where two employees had potentially been exposed. When they came back negative, she blew off the test. Getting the call was less scary to her, although she said it definitely made her wonder what the he&& was going on.

It is, supposedly, not widespread, just some kind of clerical error. Let's hope...

NJ Health Director just announced at a press conference that Rutgers is up to 15 positive players.

This is why we won’t get college football this year, coaches can’t control players when they’re not with the team even in best of times

Hopefully this is a wake up call and players hold other players accountable. All it takes is one player to go to a bar, get covid, and then come back and spread the virus to the team.

It there's an outbreak within one team, I would imagine the following week's game either is postponed or ultimately canceled.

Indiana Hoosiers resume workouts after 2-week pause for positive tests

Associated Press
Jul 31, 2020

Indiana's
football team has resumed voluntary workouts after a two-week pause following six positive COVID-19 tests.

The school's medical advisory group approved the resumption of enhanced voluntary summer training. Players are now permitted to spend up to eight hours per week on strength training, six hours per week on meetings and film review, and six hours per week on walk-throughs.

The athletic department says it has conducted 480 tests, with 33 coming back positive.

Anyone with a positive result must isolate until further notice, and contact tracing measures must be established.

Anyone to be found in close contact with the person who tested positive also is quarantined until further notice.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29571646/indiana-hoosiers-football-team-
resumes-workouts-2-week-pause

Rutgers is now up to 38 positive and a few coaches as well. Herd immunity is in full effect. No one is on lock down so players/coaches are out and about and going home to family and friends and house parties...although King Phil Murphy (the gov) just dropped gathering numbers down to 25 from 100

However

it's things like this that are going to be way more troublesome. This is the first parent to speak out about the effects of Covid on her son, and it's not good. I suspect more parents might be speaking out soon

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT