ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died from Cancer at 87. Sorry, Mitch, but Whoever Wins in November MUST Nominate her Replacement

It's tragic that she died, but certainly not unexpected.

I am not in favor of the senate ramming through a new nominee this close to the election.
Not really the question

If Trump loses are you in favor of a replacement before January 20?

The also talked about some Republican Senators (Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski Joni Ernst and a couple others) who might not follow Mitch's lead on this.
They have no spine against Trump. He will pout. He will scream. Mitch will whip. And they will vote. Only possibility is Romney. The rest are locks.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Welcome to the US officially becoming an autocracy. This flipped the entire election. We will never have a legitimate election again. Once Trump gets 4 more years, he will never leave.
I guess I am confused. Honestly, do you think Trump wins? I just don't see a path for him; there was barely a path in 2016.

Isn't the repubs taking this basically a declaration of political war? The level of hypocrisy would be unfathomable.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Only about of them vote at all. Now many non voters will flock to the polls for the first time.
Trump was getting knocked in the teeth before this. The only rallying point he had were the riots, which honestly just aren't strong enough to hinge an entire campaign on. But Roe v Wade is. 538 might as well flip their projection to 77-23 in Trump's favor now.

Reactions: naturalmwa
This election is now about abortion. Abortion favors the right. They care about the issue far more than the left. Millions of extra voters just registered republican.
Serious question: isn't abortion a huge issue for Latinos? Could that possibly help Trump in states like Florida?

I know, Latinos should hate Trump but f&ck, everything seems upside down this year.

It's a valid point. A lot of the turncoat republicans might hold their noses and vote for Trump knowing that if Biden is elected, we're getting a very young liberal justice to replace her.

I know that's what he meant. That he expects a higher turnout from Republicans. But that also could mean those on the far left will now get out and vote for Biden. There's a lot of staunchly pro-choice people who probably weren't real wild about Biden but will now probably be more inclined to go vote for him.

The point is I don't think he should just concede the election like that.

Trump was getting knocked in the teeth before this. The only rallying point he had were the riots, which honestly just aren't strong enough to hinge an entire campaign on. But Roe v Wade is. 538 might as well flip their projection to 77-23 in Trump's favor now.
I completely agree. It’s hair on fire time. Eat your hearts out MAGAs. Christmas came early for you.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I know that's what he meant. That he expects a higher turnout from Republicans. But that also could mean those on the far left will now get out and vote for Biden. There's a lot of staunchly pro-choice people who probably weren't real wild about Biden but will now probably be more inclined to go vote for him.

The point is I don't think he should just concede the election like that.
This will have the reverse effect. Rs will become energized and Ds will become demoralized. Less Ds will vote because of this. Trump and Mitch will lead the bloodiest confirmation in recent history and Ds will be deflated after he wins and some will give up on election day.

Serious question: isn't abortion a huge issue for Latinos? Could that possibly help Trump in states like Florida?

I know, Latinos should hate Trump but f&ck, everything seems upside down this year.
Latinos are heavily Catholic and Catholics obviously preach against abortion, so I’d say your theory makes sense to me. The GOP has been saved. If I believed in such things I might claim there was a divine hand in this.

Reactions: haw-key
I would be happy if Trump were to right the wrong here and Nominate Merrick Garland.

That is the only acceptable nominee and one worthy of a vote before the election. There's a better chance of me being nominated than Garland though so I wouldn't hold my breath.

1st thing is RIP, kudos to her for becoming and doing what she did even if I disagree with her politically. She was a great American. 2nd. I don't want the President to nominate anybody until inauguration day. It is only fair since we did it to Obama. Somebody has to be the bigger person here and stop the hypocrisy from both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT