ADVERTISEMENT

Sam LaPorta's play in the NFL as a test case for BF

Everyone now sees how much of a weapon Sam is. He's amazing!

But in a BF and KF run offense, he caught .... a total of ........... ONE TD.

If this doesn't reveal how poor BF and KF are at coaching and running an O .... nothing will reveal to you.
REally, only 1 TD reception as a hawk, that seems crazy low!!! But I believe you.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Amazingly, he is my starter and Kittle is on the bench in my fantasy league. I certainly did not expect that.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

If this doesn't reveal how poor BF and KF are at coaching and running an O .... nothing will reveal to you.
Let me get this straight. LaPorta caught 58 passes as a senior despite missing the last game-and-a-half of the regular season, but you’re claiming he was underutilized.

Let me get this straight. LaPorta caught 58 passes as a senior despite missing the last game-and-a-half of the regular season, but you’re claiming he was underutilized.
This is not the good point it seemed to be when you typed it.

He was totally in a great way between the 30s, I concede. Which is a terrible use of a talent like Sam.

That's BF offense for ya.

This is not the good point it seemed to be when you typed it.

He was totally in a great way between the 30s, I concede. Which is a terrible use of a talent like Sam.

That's BF offense for ya.
There wasn’t enough scoring last season. But that isn’t because LaPorta was misused. Lachey had several TDs. When you have 2 outstanding TEs, does it really matter which one scored?

It makes sense that the TEs have become the focal point of Brian's offense considering his background in the NFL as a TE coach.

It's what he understands best..............

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
There wasn’t enough scoring last season. But that isn’t because LaPorta was misused. Lachey had several TDs. When you have 2 outstanding TEs, does it really matter which one scored?
Excuse GIF by MOODMAN

True ... this is also a possibility.

the only option that is NOT possible is that BF had anything to do with how good of football player Sam is.
Sam disagrees with you. Who should I believe? The guy who's playing well in the NFL and actually knows what he's talking about, or an anonymous guy on the internet? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

If you want to claim that WRs are underutilized and that BF needs to update the pass routes they run, then I'm with you.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP

Ahhhh. This is perhaps the most flawed logic I've ever witnessed. Using your logic, Purdue's special teams coach has no idea what he is doing as Chalie Jones did way worse at Purdue than he did at Iowa. The same would go for the Bengals offense as he only had one reception in three games (also unable to evaluate talent since he doesn't start) before being injured. Heck your logic would even dictate that the strength and condition department of the Bengals is far worse since Charlie got hurt which is something that didn't happen at Iowa or Purdue.
I would say you are comparing apples and oranges but you're not. More like Atom bombs and poppers.

Last edited:
Laporta was underutilized in the TD department, which is sort of the goal of an offense. I would agree that Petras threw a lot to Laporta, but the real problem was the cast of Talent outside of Laporta was poor. The offensive coordinator (BF) is not very good at his job and the head coach limits what his offensive coordinators can do so that the product is the worst in P5 over the last 3 years.

Kittle on the otherhand was a Athletic Freak that never fit in to the KF model and he was definitely underuitilized during his 4 year career at Iowa.

Laporta was underutilized in the TD department, which is sort of the goal of an offense. I would agree that Petras threw a lot to Laporta, but the real problem was the cast of Talent outside of Laporta was poor. The offensive coordinator (BF) is not very good at his job and the head coach limits what his offensive coordinators can do so that the product is the worst in P5 over the last 3 years.

Kittle on the otherhand was a Athletic Freak that never fit in to the KF model and he was definitely underuitilized during his 4 year career at Iowa.
I'd argue that defenses play differently inside the red zone than they do between the 20's. Utilization might have been due to schemes employed rather than plays called (or not called).

This is hardly the first example of how poor BF and KF use offensive talent. Just look back a few years to 1st round pick Noah Fant riding the bench and only playing in 40% of the snaps so that a walkon fullback or walkon WR could be on the field instead. Then look to Charlie Jones, the nation's top WR at Purdue last year following years of blocking and being targeted twice a game at Iowa.

Last edited:
This is hardly the first example of how poor BF and KF use offensive talent. Just look back a few years to 1st round pick Noah Fant riding the bench and only playing in 40% of the plays. Then look to Charlie Jones, the nation's top WR at Purdue last year following years of blocking at Iowa.
Well to be fair, Fant has been somewhat of a letdown so far in the NFL and was playing with another TE who has proven to be better in the NFL. Fant was far more successful at Iowa under BF. Looks like they made the right choice playing TJ more.

This is hardly the first example of how poor BF and KF use offensive talent. Just look back a few years to 1st round pick Noah Fant riding the bench and only playing in 40% of the plays. Then look to Charlie Jones, the nation's top WR at Purdue last year following years of blocking at Iowa.
How's Sam LaPorta doing? Has he gotten 5 catches yet?.............

Agree 100% on Jones. Something else went on with Fant.

Well to be fair, Fant has been somewhat of a letdown so far in the NFL and was playing with another TE who has proven to be better in the NFL. Fant was far more successful at Iowa under BF. Looks like they made the right choice playing TJ more.
Huh? So your point is Brian was right to forget Fant was on the roster because Fant (an NFL starter) isn't a star in the NFL? Not only does that not make sense, but to follow your argument to its conclusion, fullback Brady Ross, who played over Fant, and super star WR Max Cooper, who was out there on key downs with Fant on the bench, must be lighting things up in the NFL these days.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I do remember Hoch being seemingly pissed during his last bowl game that he was not used more…ended up having a clutch catch in the 4th Q though!😎

Reactions: JupiterHawk
??? LaPorta and Lachey combined for nearly as many catches and yards as Hockenson and Fant in 2018. The problems with last year's offense had nothing to do with the TEs. You're obviously just a hater.

Again ... great use between the 30s.

H and F isn't the comparison that works for the point you're making. Fant sat on the bench in the NW game and Iowa ended up barely scoring and lost that game.

People need to stop defending BF, it's getting sad.

Last edited:

Kittle on the otherhand was an Athletic Freak that never fit in to the KF model and he was definitely underuitilized during his 4 year career at Iowa.
Sorry, the goal of the offense is to score, not necessarily to the tight end. I’m trying to think if there were any other tight ends on the team during Sam’s tenure, humm…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT