ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Zen (story)

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003

'Why My Dad?'

Later, after it all, I texted Barkley and asked him: "Why my dad? Why did he matter so much to you?" And recently, I called him up and asked: "What did you even have to talk about?"

"Well, I think — first of all, clearly, he was a fan," Barkley said. "But I think the main thing we talked about was you and your brother."

"What did you guys talk about — what did he say?" I asked.

"I think it was more that he was proud," Barkley said. "Because I’ve got a daughter, too. I’m just really, really proud of her, because I think she’s a good person. And your dad was so proud of you and your brother.

"Listen: as an adult — and you’re too young to understand this now — all you want is your kids to be happy. That’s what you work for. To give your kids everything in life."

The more Charles Barkley and I talked, I realized just how close he and my dad were. Barkley knew so much about me and my life — even though this was the first time he and I had ever talked.

"It gives me great memories and great joy to know that I was a friend of his," Barkley said. "Just hearing about him at the funeral — what he had accomplished and what he was trying to help other people accomplish, just made me even — I wished he bragged more about himself."

"So, let me get this straight: you were impressed by him?" I asked.

"Yeah," Barkley said.

'Why My Dad?'

Later, after it all, I texted Barkley and asked him: "Why my dad? Why did he matter so much to you?" And recently, I called him up and asked: "What did you even have to talk about?"

"Well, I think — first of all, clearly, he was a fan," Barkley said. "But I think the main thing we talked about was you and your brother."

"What did you guys talk about — what did he say?" I asked.

"I think it was more that he was proud," Barkley said. "Because I’ve got a daughter, too. I’m just really, really proud of her, because I think she’s a good person. And your dad was so proud of you and your brother.

"Listen: as an adult — and you’re too young to understand this now — all you want is your kids to be happy. That’s what you work for. To give your kids everything in life."

The more Charles Barkley and I talked, I realized just how close he and my dad were. Barkley knew so much about me and my life — even though this was the first time he and I had ever talked.

"It gives me great memories and great joy to know that I was a friend of his," Barkley said. "Just hearing about him at the funeral — what he had accomplished and what he was trying to help other people accomplish, just made me even — I wished he bragged more about himself."

"So, let me get this straight: you were impressed by him?" I asked.

"Yeah," Barkley said.
That’s cool. Thanks for sharing. Never really thought much (good or ill) about Barkley but this changes that.

Good read...thanks for sharing. I'm going to call my Dad today...
4-Field-of-Dreams-quotes.gif

This is all over Twitter... I read it and thought it was interesting, but didn’t get the big deal.... have I lost my soul?

I happened to catch that story on NPR this morning. It was really cool listening in on Shirley Wang and Barkley's conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT