ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarships

Cliffking

Rookie
Dec 1, 2001
This may have been asked before, but is there any chance some players would agree to come back as walk one and have NIL pick up the tab that their scholarships would cost? Or is that not financially possible? Seems to me there's not a lot of difference these days between walk one and scholarship players, except the price tag.

If you are referring to players using their covid year (Castro, Higgins, etc.), they must be on scholarship or they are not eligible.

If you are referring to players using their covid year (Castro, Higgins, etc.), they must be on scholarship or they are not eligible.
But in theory, they could take other players not using their Covid years and ask them if they'd be willing to exchange their scholarship for NIL $ in order to open up roster space.

But in theory, they could take other players not using their Covid years and ask them if they'd be willing to exchange their scholarship for NIL $ in order to open up roster space.
Yes, I believe you are correct. I haven't heard of this really happening at any school though, which is weird. Scholarship players used to have more benefits than walk ons (access to better meals and other resources, for example), but I think that all players are treated fairly equally now other than tuition and housing being paid for by the school for scholarship players. It does seem ridiculous that some kids at the powerhouse schools are making six or seven figures in NIL deals and still require the school to pay for tuition and housing when their teammates are taking out loans to pay for the same necessities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT