ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dochterman likes the Tim Lester hire & the Kyle Shanahan/49'ers Offense that is to come

RPO is not some fad offense or something crazy. It just requires the qb to simply read what is being given.
Many or most effectively run RPO systems have a QB that is a threat to keep it and gain yards.

Don’t see Cade scaring anyone with his legs. And obviously not Deacon, either.

There is a very high overlap of posters on this board that have a very strong opinion on the intricacies of football, and also seem to think RPO is zone read.
Sometimes RPO is a zone read if you don’t put a guy in motion and the edge/ outside linebacker is your read. Just sayin’. I coach defense haha

Reactions: obfuscating
Sometimes RPO is a zone read if you don’t put a guy in motion and the edge/ outside linebacker is your read. Just sayin’. I coach defense haha
Usually reading the force player, then 2nd level if its a pull/pass?

Usually reading the force player, then 2nd level if its a pull/pass?
A good example for when the QB can take off is like bubble screen. 2nd level defender flows towards the slot running bubble QB takes off. Works with the read option attached to it really well as the DE is also in conflict on the bubble side squeezing down on the Tackle down blocking away from him.

A good example for when the QB can take off is like bubble screen. 2nd level defender flows towards the slot running bubble QB takes off. Works with the read option attached to it really well as the DE is also in conflict on the bubble side squeezing down on the Tackle down blocking away from him.
I don't see CM being able to do this, ML would be the guy, hopefully KF has seen the light and hands 75% of the O to TL.

Reactions: Easthawk1062
I don't see CM being able to do this, ML would be the guy, hopefully KF has seen the light and hands 75% of the O to TL.
I think it wouldn’t be ideal. I mean I’m sure he could do enough on the ground but I wouldn’t trust it. I hope they rep Marco at #1 all spring and get that arm developed some and let him compete for #1 once Cade is back.

f
You're describing a read-option. Most Run/Pass options involve quarterback choosing between handing the ball off or passing the ball based on his read.

It's beneficial, but not a requirement that the QB be a threat to run for an RPO to be effective.

f

You're describing a read-option. Most Run/Pass options involve quarterback choosing between handing the ball off or passing the ball based on his read.

It's beneficial, but not a requirement that the QB be a threat to run for an RPO to be effective.

Right. You CAN build read option type stuff off it and it's better for basically any offense (including Iowa's traditional 1994 NFL offense) if the QB is a run threat just from a basic math perspective but it's not a requirement. It can still be an effective play and is a smart thing to have in the offense even without that element.

If anything if you have a slow QB like Cade it's probably better to put him in an offense where he's usually in shot gun and where you're putting second level defenders in conflict on most snaps as opposed to Iowa's old offense where he's running a lot of slow developing drop back stuff and play action plays where he's fully turning his back to the defense or asked to boot out a lot. RPO keeps everything in front of him and gives him a lot of chances to get the ball out quickly

Last edited:
You guys are focusing on the wrong problem with the RPO. The RPO requires receivers that can run that slant pattern and consistently catch the ball. Are you confident that any of the receivers on the roster right now can do this?

Reactions: Bro D and chuck285
You guys are focusing on the wrong problem with the RPO. The RPO requires receivers that can run that slant pattern and consistently catch the ball. Are you confident that any of the receivers on the roster right now can do this?
Considering how broken the passing game is especially I have no idea. On the other side, BF the last few years seemed to consistently want to make things as difficult as possible in general requiring near-perfect execution to work.

RPO is a relatively simple wrinkle to incorporate. If Lester can't (or isn't allowed) to do even that much, then he's screwed before he even starts.

We will just have to wait and see.

Right. You CAN build read option type stuff off it and it's better for basically any offense (including Iowa's traditional 1994 NFL offense) if the QB is a run threat just from a basic math perspective but it's not a requirement. It can still be an effective play and is a smart thing to have in the offense even without that element.

If anything if you have a slow QB like Cade it's probably better to put him in an offense where he's usually in shot gun and where you're putting second level defenders in conflict on most snaps as opposed to Iowa's old offense where he's running a lot of slow developing drop back stuff and play action plays where he's fully turning his back to the defense or asked to boot out a lot. RPO keeps everything in front of him and gives him a lot of chances to get the ball out quickly
RPO usually involves 1-2 reads pre and post snap.

I love all the RPO experts we now have. It's not a zone read blah blah blah.

it's zone read and play action.
He may get to run it but I don't think kirk likes it. 1 or 2 illegal men down field and kirk may blow w gasket. In my opinion kirk will dislike: He may be ok at the start but how long will he give changes to work?
1. The oline being inbetween run/pass blocking. He won't like not drive blocking, he'll look at it as a lack of agressiveness.
2. yes the qb will have to run. He'll pull and have to sprint out of the pocket from time to time. Kirk has never diliked the boot but we have rarely had a qb sprint out. Occasionally defenses do disguise things, the qb will read pass, it will get taken away and they'll have to run. Will kirk allow this. I hope so.

I love all the RPO experts we now have. It's not a zone read blah blah blah.

it's zone read and play action.
He may get to run it but I don't think kirk likes it. 1 or 2 illegal men down field and kirk may blow w gasket. In my opinion kirk will dislike: He may be ok at the start but how long will he give changes to work?
1. The oline being inbetween run/pass blocking. He won't like not drive blocking, he'll look at it as a lack of agressiveness.
2. yes the qb will have to run. He'll pull and have to sprint out of the pocket from time to time. Kirk has never diliked the boot but we have rarely had a qb sprint out. Occasionally defenses do disguise things, the qb will read pass, it will get taken away and they'll have to run. Will kirk allow this. I hope so.
The big question that we won't have the answer to until september is how much trust/control Kirk gives to the offense. If the answer is "a lot" then I think we'll see more changes than the more pessimistic posters think there will be.

Obviously we will need the quarterback to be able to run, at least on occasion - this is something that Cade is able to do, he just prefers to scramble to buy time to throw, instead of running for yards.

Reactions: Birky
The big question that we won't have the answer to until september is how much trust/control Kirk gives to the offense. If the answer is "a lot" then I think we'll see more changes than the more pessimistic posters think there will be.

Obviously we will need the quarterback to be able to run, at least on occasion - this is something that Cade is able to do, he just prefers to scramble to buy time to throw, instead of running for yards.
Yeah, every QB has to move when the pass is taken away. Whether that’s in an RPO, or a drop back.

That’s different than expecting your QB to pull it and become a running back 15 times a game. That requires a different kind of athlete. That seems to be what some think an RPO is?

Also, like you said, Cade is not a statue. He can move. He’s just not a dangerous runner.

I’m certainly no expert on exactly how Lester runs his RPO game, but I’ve heard it described as similar to what Minnesota did with Tanner Morgan. I have to believe McNamara can pull that off.

There is a very high overlap of posters on this board that have a very strong opinion on the intricacies of football, and also seem to think RPO is zone read.
This Venn diagram has a third circle, the “This is Kirk’s offense and always has been!” crowd. Somehow, they can watch 25 years of Iowa Football and think each and every year is the same scheme, plays, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT