ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dochterman likes the Tim Lester hire & the Kyle Shanahan/49'ers Offense that is to come

If that's the style of play you wish to mimic tho, why not mention them? They're the gold standard for that style of offense, and it makes alot of sense for any team that doesn't have that elite QB that you can build around instead.

It should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it, I'll agree that there are obviously going to be posters who will want to hang Lester in effigy after the 1st 3 and out, just as there will be some who want to anoint him as the heir apparent after the first TD drive.

While we're not blessed with an abundance of talent at the WR position especially, we are deep at TE and RB, and the QB position (on paper) should be much improved from a year ago. Hopefully the change in scheme puts the OL in a better position to succeed as well - I'm on record believing that will look improved as well due to that.
I understand and I'm hoping that Lester does exactly that. If we can be top 80, I'll consider his first year a success. Hello, top 80 may be enough to get us into playoff talk. Our schedule isn't too rough and our defense will be awesome yet again. In my opinion, if Lester can get us back to O'Keefe production within the next 3 years. That'll be an awesome turnaround. Up to him, KF, and the players. I just want something serviceable at this point.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I understand and I'm hoping that Lester does exactly that. If we can be top 80, I'll consider his first year a success. Hello, top 80 may be enough to get us into playoff talk. Our schedule isn't too rough and our defense will be awesome yet again. In my opinion, if Lester can get us back to O'Keefe production within the next 3 years. That'll be an awesome turnaround. Up to him, KF, and the players. I just want something serviceable at this point.
Honestly, if we simply get to the point where the offense takes the field and we don't think punting is the best possible outcome, I think this season will be a major success. ;)

Story from CBS Sports from this morning.

How Iowa's new-look offense draws inspiration from Green Bay Packers: 'We're running the Shanahan system'

Tom Fornelli

By Tom Fornelli
June 13, 2024

The 2024 season is one of big, exciting changes in the Big Ten. The conference will add a western wing this summer, with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington growing the number of schools in the league to 18. Everywhere I go -- around family, friends, or strangers who find out what I do for a living -- I get asked how excited I am about the changes.

I tell them the truth. I'm not as excited about the additions as I am intrigued by them. It will be interesting to see how the additions shift the landscape of the league, but even that's limited because I'm fairly confident they won't be the last additions in the near future.

The one thing that excites me -- but nobody ever asks about it-- is the new-look Iowa offense.

Yes, I'm a man of unique tastes. The Big Ten has four new teams? Cool. Ohio State is acquiring an incredible amount of talent this offseason that could set the Buckeyes up for years? Neat.

But have you heard that Iowa's going to be running far more pre-snap motion? That's change! That's exciting! When it comes to the changes supposedly coming to Iowa City, I'm trying to maintain an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. But the more I read and hear, the more I buy into the idea that it's actually happening.

Take this column from the Des Moines Register's Chad Leistikow about former Iowa running back and current running backs coach Ladell Betts. Of note, Iowa's staff and new offensive coordinator Tim Lester visited the Green Bay Packers, where Lester previously served as a senior analyst. The emphasis is mine:

"[Lester] was 100% the catalyst. It was good to see that, too," Betts said. "A guy that only spent one year somewhere, he was so well-received when we went in - from the players to the coaches. It just shows me that he must have made an impact. They clearly remembered who he was. That's a good sign that you're dealing with a great guy."

Team visits are common in the offseason. For example, Ferentz has taken staff to New England Patriots practices in the past. Iowa once visited Georgia football practice to get a window into how the Southeastern Conference powerhouse operates. This particular visit was beneficial because, as Betts said, "We're running the Packers' system. We're running the Shanahan system."

What's that? Iowa will be running the Packers' system? The Shanahan system? Does that include pre-snap motion?

"The bread and butter of it is the run game. It all centers around the run game," Betts told the Register. "But I think the biggest takeaway is how much consternation can we give the defense? How off-balance can we keep the defense? There's going to be a lot of motions. A lot of shifts. A lot of pre-snap changes with the alignments."

I appreciate Betts saying "consternation." It's a good word that needs to be used more often, much like pre-snap motion for the Iowa offense. My problems with Iowa's offenses weren't strictly related to the style of play. I have no problem with multiple tight end sets and smashmouth football. My problem was how easy the Hawkeyes made things on opponents. They lined up and ran the play.

Hearing that the Hawkeyes plan to use more pre-snap motion was a jolt to the system. Motion before the snap is not some newfangled discovery. It's a basic concept teams have used for a long time to force a defense to declare itself and make life easier for the quarterback. How infrequently did Iowa use motion last season? According to TruMedia, only 22.9% of the time; it ranked No. 12 in the Big Ten and No. 112 nationally.

TEAMPLAYS WITH PRE-SNAP MOTIONNATIONAL RANK
Michigan59.7%2nd
Ohio State41.9%32nd
Minnesota40.6%40th
Northwestern39.0%47th
Illinois38.1%51st
Nebraska36.3%63rd
Penn State33.9%74th
Indiana33.6%75th
Purdue33.5%76th
Michigan State27.3%99th
Wisconsin27.3%100th
Iowa22.9%112th
Maryland20.8%119th
Rutgers19.5%122nd

Compare that number to Michigan, another offense that played "smashmouth" complementary football on offense. The Wolverines used pre-snap motion 59.7% of the time. That was the second-highest rate in the country, behind only Florida.

The point is not that motion fixes an offense; however, it can make life easier for an offense, confuse a defense, and (as Michigan so excellently showed us last year) it can be run by a team looking to maul you more than run past you.

Maybe, just maybe, Iowa will do it, too.

All other things aside, it was mind bogglingly frustrating the last two years to see Iowa have specific game plans that featured motion and formation changes…and then see it disappear for the next month.

it appears that Tim knows what he's doing; ie, putting players in position to succeed; confusing the defense; actually coaching (and hopefully developing) the QBs....

now, can Lester make it all work, which Brian obviously couldn't?

it appears that Tim knows what he's doing; ie, putting players in position to succeed; confusing the defense; actually coaching (and hopefully developing) the QBs....

now, can Lester make it all work, which Brian obviously couldn't?
If nothing else; the signs seem to point to at least being competent offensively, which will feel explosive enough on its own I’m sure!

Imagine if our offense is ranked in the 70's instead of the 130's....

200.gif

hopefully if our offense has a pulse, we will be able to land some stud WRs for a change

Largely slim Pickens except 2017 and 2021. There were other guys signed like Ragaini and others but very few impact guys and almost never 4 star.

2017: B Smith / ISM
2018: T Tracy
2019:
2020:
2021: K Johnson (****) A Bruce (****) B Brecht
2022:
2023:
2024:

Last edited:
Agree on the portal, but we have to try and bring in more guys out of hs. I would say we barely average 2 WR per year. Some years just one. Have to find a way. Need more to choose from. Not expecting 4 stars either.
Maybe, but until Iowa can prove to the world that receivers can come here and catch passes, talented high school receivers aren't going to Iowa and all you're going to do is fill up roster spots with guys who aren't going to play.

Maybe, but until Iowa can prove to the world that receivers can come here and catch passes, talented high school receivers aren't going to Iowa and all you're going to do is fill up roster spots with guys who aren't going to play.

I hear what you are saying but how did we get guys like ISM, Smith, Keagan and Bruce? Latter two were 4 stars. We have to sell a vision, playing time, find diamonds in the rough - whatever it takes. Not easy I agree but we have to lean into the position more. 2 signees per class is threading the needle.

I hear what you are saying but how did we get guys like ISM, Smith, Keagan and Bruce? Latter two were 4 stars. We have to sell a vision, playing time, find diamonds in the rough - whatever it takes. Not easy I agree but we have to lean into the position more. 2 signees per class is threading the needle.
The situation at Iowa has grown dramatically worse since the signing any of those guys. Given the events of the past 3 years, historically bad offense, and scores of receivers leaving and one of them becoming an All American at Purdue. Getting rid of Brian and Copeland were necessary steps in the long road to rehabilitating the Iowa image as a place where receiving careers go to die. Now they have to create some production and move off of being a national media punchline. Only then will they be able to make serious strides in wide receiver recruiting.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Agree on the portal, but we have to try and bring in more guys out of hs. I would say we barely average 2 WR per year. Some years just one. Have to find a way. Need more to choose from. Not expecting 4 stars either.

what stud High School WR prospects are we after for the 2025 class? And are they interested?

what stud High School WR prospects are we after for the 2025 class? And are they interested?
Here you all go..found it, Terrence Smith (3 star, many offers but P5 schools just catching on.) #17 player in state of IL, of course Iose is #1!

Terrence is visiting the Rodents this weekend and Iowa next weekend.

Here you all go..found it, Terrence Smith (3 star, many offers but P5 schools just catching on.) #17 player in state of IL, of course Iose is #1!

Terrence is visiting the Rodents this weekend and Iowa next weekend.

Another one we have offered is Corey Simms out of St. Louis (4-star) and Donovan Olugbode out of Bradenton, FL (4 star).

'25 Offer list (filter by position):
https://iowa.rivals.com/offers/football/2025

The situation at Iowa has grown dramatically worse since the signing any of those guys. Given the events of the past 3 years, historically bad offense, and scores of receivers leaving and one of them becoming an All American at Purdue. Getting rid of Brian and Copeland were necessary steps in the long road to rehabilitating the Iowa image as a place where receiving careers go to die. Now they have to create some production and move off of being a national media punchline. Only then will they be able to make serious strides in wide receiver recruiting.

I don’t disagree but we still have to try now. It is harder based on past couple years no doubt.

If people are suddenly expecting our offense to resemble the 49ers, whoa. Pump the brakes. KF is still here. It's still his offense. We amp ourselves up yearly to be improved upon and different than the previous year. There is a reason for that obviously, we know we need it.

Lester and the Offense may be better, really, how can they not be one would envision. Still, it's foolish of us to think they'll be exceptional so immediately after the last three disastrous offensive campaigns. We're not going to be 49ers on offense, that's laughable. Hopefully, we can be top 80 or better. That will be immense improvement and much more realistic.
I’m optimistic it can be top 60. Iowa does have good running backs and with a little bit of movement and deception before snap could create opportunities not only in the run game but the past game as well. The tight end will be good and I think brown will have a good year wide receiver as well. Maybe that’s just the off-season Optimistic me but I’m hopeful Lester can bring those changes

Scott says our toughest game is Ohio State (duh) with Iowa State probably the 2nd toughest.

The season will be 25% complete before the first B1G game (Sep 21 vs Minnesota).

Check this out & watch:

Iowa's 2024 schedule:​

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 8, 2024
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024
  • vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Scott says our toughest game is Ohio State (duh) with Iowa State probably the 2nd toughest.

The season will be 25% complete before the first B1G game (Sep 21 vs Minnesota).

Check this out & watch:

............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
I'm not sure why he'd say ISU might be the second best team we play. Because it's a rivalry game? I don't see how they'd be considered better than Washington and Wisconsin. I'd put them at best at the Nebraska, Minnesota, and Northwestern level. I understand they have a lot of players back - but they also went 7-6 and lost to Ohio and Memphis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman

Check this out & watch:

If the QB doesn’t roll to the left and throw a pick on the first effing play from scrimmage, I’m counting the OSU game as a success.
I'm not sure why he'd say ISU might be the second best team we play. Because it's a rivalry game? I don't see how they'd be considered better than Washington and Wisconsin. I'd put them at best at the Nebraska, Minnesota, and Northwestern level. I understand they have a lot of players back - but they also went 7-6 and lost to Ohio and Memphis.
On paper ISU might have the toughest defense after Ohio state based on returning players.

Washington lost a ton last year so idk what to expect from then; I expect wiscy to be good defensively but I don’t remember who they lost either.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
If the QB doesn’t roll to the left and throw a pick on the first effing play from scrimmage, I’m counting the OSU game as a success.

On paper ISU might have the toughest defense after Ohio state based on returning players.

Washington lost a ton last year so idk what to expect from then; I expect wiscy to be good defensively but I don’t remember who they lost either.
Black skirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT